What Do You Think Of This Camera

Angeejoe

DIS Veteran
So I'm coming to the experts here on the DIS :worship:.....

What are your thoughts on this camera? Is it good? Is it a good price?

http://www.qvc.com/EMAIL.product.E2...1B44C8581&cvosrc=email.cheetahmail.2099289295

Here's the description in case you don't want to click on the link:

You know the value of high-quality photos--now, get the camera that captures them at an incredible value! The Canon EOS Rebel T5 digital SLR preserves your most precious memories through the holidays and beyond with incredible image quality and top-notch performance.

It all starts with an 18-megapixel CMOS sensor and a DIGIC 4 image processor. The extended ISO range of up to 12,800 ensures the EOS Rebel T5 creates crisp, detailed images, even in low-light situations. And you'll capture it all through the included EF-S 18mm to 55mm and 75mm to 300mm f/4-5.6 III lenses.

When you want to shoot high-definition video, simply switch to Full HD movie mode. View your video on the 3" diagonal LCD monitor to make sure each shot is perfectly framed. And fun creative filters let you control the look and feel.

Whether you're a beginner or a seasoned shutterbug, you'll snap crystal-clear images thanks to the easy-to-use Rebel T5. From Canon.

You'll also get a $25 voucher to PhotoAffections, a $25 voucher to CanvasWorld, a $25 voucher to MyCustomCase, Hallmark Photo Projects Studio, Print Artist Craft Studio, EZ Photo 3, Movavi Video Editor 10, and a one-year subscription offer for SOSOnlineBackup.com Personal Storage Service.

For helpful terms and definitions, please refer to the Camera Glossary tab above.

Please consult the manufacturer's documentation regarding the safe and proper use, handling, storage, charging, and disposal of products containing lithium-ion batteries.

• Includes EOS Rebel T5 body, 18mm to 55mm IS lens, EF-S 75mm to 300mm f/4-5.6 III lens, USB cable, lithium-ion battery pack, battery charger, camera strap, 32GB SD memory card, camera bag, software CD, instructional DVD, manual, and additional software bundle
  • 18 megapixels
  • CMOS (APS-C) sensor
  • 3" diagonal LCD monitor
  • DIGIC 4 image processor
  • Nine-point AF system, including center cross-type AF point and AI servo
  • Scene Intelligent auto mode
  • Creative filters: toy camera, fisheye, miniature effect
  • Continuous shooting approximately 3fps
  • ISO sensitivity 100-6400; expandable to 12800
  • EOS Full HD movie mode
  • LiveView mode
  • SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card slot
  • USB port
  • HDMI output
  • Approximate measurements: Body 5-1/8"W x 3-1/8"D x 3-7/8"H, weighs 16.1 oz
  • UL listed charger; 1-year Limited Manufacturer's Warranty
  • Imported
  • QVC PRICE: $597.00, sale price $399.99 on Friday (but I can order now as a preferred customer) with $0 for shipping & handling. Plus they will divide into 6 months of payments interest free

For a point of reference, once upon a time I loved photography, I used a Petax K1000 with film, but then the digital age came & I went thru several point & shoot cameras. These camera were used mainly for family functions, pics on vacation of DH & myself, nothing more. DH & I have our 2nd cruise planned for January & I thought this camera could be great for more than just pictures of each other, lol.

It just seems like a good deal, but I honestly don't know. Thank you again wise ones:worship::worship::worship::worship:

:flower3: Angeejoe

It's a perfectly decent entry level aps-c dslr. In all honesty, the differences between entry level Aps-c cameras are pretty minor. They come paired with fair quality kit lenses. If used properly, they can capture fantastic images. You can always upgrade lenses.

The real decision for an entry level shooter is whether to go dslr: typically the Canon t5, Nikon d3200/3300, Sony a58, Pentax...

Or go mirrorless, to get the same image quality in a smaller package -- Sony a5100, Samsung, Etc.

It's a question of whether you're more comfortable with a slightly larger camera and small optical viewfinder, or a smaller camera with electronic viewfinder and/or LCD.

It's a perfectly decent entry level aps-c dslr. In all honesty, the differences between entry level Aps-c cameras are pretty minor. They come paired with fair quality kit lenses. If used properly, they can capture fantastic images. You can always upgrade lenses.

The real decision for an entry level shooter is whether to go dslr: typically the Canon t5, Nikon d3200/3300, Sony a58, Pentax...

Or go mirrorless, to get the same image quality in a smaller package -- Sony a5100, Samsung, Etc.

It's a question of whether you're more comfortable with a slightly larger camera and small optical viewfinder, or a smaller camera with electronic viewfinder and/or LCD.

So this is just so-so? What are your thoughts on the price? Is this just the typical price for entry level? I see that you say that the Canon t5 is a typical entry level, is this t5 different?

Thank you for responding so quickly this am & for the advice!!!:thumbsup2

So this is just so-so? What are your thoughts on the price? Is this just the typical price for entry level? I see that you say that the Canon t5 is a typical entry level, is this t5 different?

Thank you for responding so quickly this am & for the advice!!!:thumbsup2

Seems to be a decent price, a little cheaper than I see it on Amazon.

The t5 is the t5. It's the same camera. I wouldn't use the word so-so. It's entry level. It is capable of producing stunning images. Entry level aps-c cameras can produce the same quality images as an advanced aps-c cameras. In fact, stick a $2000 lens on an entry level camera, and you'll potentially get better image quality than a $2000 camera with a cheap kit lens. The advanced cameras though, will have more advanced autofocus systems, more robust quality build quality, more features, faster shooting, etc.

What exactly are you looking for? What types of shooting do you intend to do?

For the price and equipment, that is a good deal. The camera is older, but will still take good pictures, especially outside and in sunlight. With different lenses and technique, good indoor shots are possible. Now, you won't be doing weddings or fast paced indoor sports very well with this setup, but I don't think that was your intent.

If you want a better camera, look out for 6d cameras. This is going to be replaced soon, and deals will be good (they already have got this camera)

Seems to be a decent price, a little cheaper than I see it on Amazon.

The t5 is the t5. It's the same camera. I wouldn't use the word so-so. It's entry level. It is capable of producing stunning images. Entry level aps-c cameras can produce the same quality images as an advanced aps-c cameras. In fact, stick a $2000 lens on an entry level camera, and you'll potentially get better image quality than a $2000 camera with a cheap kit lens. The advanced cameras though, will have more advanced autofocus systems, more robust quality build quality, more features, faster shooting, etc.

What exactly are you looking for? What types of shooting do you intend to do?

Thank you! I envision taking pictures from our veranda of the port, of the beaches, & nature type shots.

For the price and equipment, that is a good deal. The camera is older, but will still take good pictures, especially outside and in sunlight. With different lenses and technique, good indoor shots are possible. Now, you won't be doing weddings or fast paced indoor sports very well with this setup, but I don't think that was your intent.

If you want a better camera, look out for 6d cameras. This is going to be replaced soon, and deals will be good (they already have got this camera)

Thank you for the response!! My plan is for the nature type pics, not really for anything professional like a wedding or a sport event.

I'm thinking of getting this, for 6 payments of $67 interest free with free shipping, it's worth a try. I have until January 30th to return if I don't like it. So my only loss would be to pay for the return if I don't like it. Trying to decide between the red or black T5

I'm thinking of getting this, for 6 payments of $67 interest free with free shipping, it's worth a try. I have until January 30th to return if I don't like it. So my only loss would be to pay for the return if I don't like it. Trying to decide between the red or black T5

That would work but instead of the QVC "deal" I would suggest getting a refurbished T5i for $379. (the little "i" adds more features and refurbished includes the basic one year warranty)
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-t5i-18-55mm-is-stm-lens-kit-refurbished

And I would also suggest going to a store like BB and handling the different cameras, the mirrorless models offer some advantages

Thank you! I envision taking pictures from our veranda of the port, of the beaches, & nature type shots.

I see the Canon t5 on Black Friday everywhere for that price or cheaper. Among major brand camera models, you rarely see "deals".... The prices tend to be nearly identical everywhere. I've used the site greentoe.com to reliably get discounts, but only around 5%. But it's also no tax and free shipping plus 5% off.

For those types of shots, especially in day light, any decent camera can deliver amazing quality photos when used correctly. The t5 would do just fine.

That would work but instead of the QVC "deal" I would suggest getting a refurbished T5i for $379. (the little "i" adds more features and refurbished includes the basic one year warranty)
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-t5i-18-55mm-is-stm-lens-kit-refurbished

And I would also suggest going to a store like BB and handling the different cameras, the mirrorless models offer some advantages

I see the Canon t5 on Black Friday everywhere for that price or cheaper. Among major brand camera models, you rarely see "deals".... The prices tend to be nearly identical everywhere. I've used the site greentoe.com to reliably get discounts, but only around 5%. But it's also no tax and free shipping plus 5% off.

For those types of shots, especially in day light, any decent camera can deliver amazing quality photos when used correctly. The t5 would do just fine.

Thank you for all the advice!!! I will let you know what I think of this camera.

I haven't read all the replies. The camera is fine. It is as capable than many higher end DSLR's were ten years ago. The kit lens is fine. Th problem is the 75-300 zoom. run far far away fem any deal with it. Seriously, find something else. It's a horrid lens that is only good as a paper weight. Canon seriously needs to stop making it. I'm not being a lens snob here. The 55-250 is a perfectly good lens. But that 75-300 is a design from the 90's.

The price is higher than what I've seen recently.

Th problem is the 75-300 zoom. run far far away fem any deal with it. Seriously, find something else. It's a horrid lens that is only good as a paper weight. Canon seriously needs to stop making it. I'm not being a lens snob here. The 55-250 is a perfectly good lens. But that 75-300 is a design from the 90's.

The price is higher than what I've seen recently.

yes, that's the problem with the QVC and ebay "deals". the 55-250 STM is much better and included on some bundle packages (and sold separately for $123 refurbished)

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter