What Do You Do For Achy Feet?

I have found the most comfy shoes for me are Asics Gel running shoes. I've also found that alternating which pair I wear each day helps too! I also bring flip flops (good supportive ones! Not cheapies) to switch into when I go on water rides and then I'll wear them around for a little bit afterwards too.

On my last trip, I bought a pair of Fila cross trainers with memory foam and I put gel inserts into them. I also put moleskin on places where there might be friction - heels, balls of my feet - and I did okay for our 5 day trip.

I have found the most comfy shoes for me are Asics Gel running shoes. I've also found that alternating which pair I wear each day helps too! I also bring flip flops (good supportive ones! Not cheapies) to switch into when I go on water rides and then I'll wear them around for a little bit afterwards too.

Great idea!! I am adding flip flops to our packing list. My DD will want to ride Splash Mtn. this trip an I don't want to slosh around in wet shoes.

Sanuks saved my life last December. Last week, I bought a new pair while at DT Disney. However, I think the heat made our family wear out a lot sooner than normal, so on my husband's suggestion we went back to our room and soaked our feet in an ice bath. Ice bath once during the day, and again at night. I took some Motrin a couple of times that week. I thought it helped. At the very least the ice bath made me "hurt so good!"

I have major foot problems (surgeries on both my feet last five years). I have a high arch, too, and also Achilles and heel spur problems. I used to have so much pain on my Disney trips that I'd be hobbling the next day!

What really saved me on my trip last year was getting really comfortable shoes. I bought some Skechers memory foam sneakers - not Go Walks, but shoes with a super-thick layer of memory foam in the bottom (the Go Walks have a thin layer of memory foam, but not enough for all day walking, at least for me).

These were comfortable right out of the box, and I wore them for 10 to 12 hours a day with not a single bit of foot pain.

http://www.amazon.com/Skechers-Womens-Lister-Fashion-Sneaker/dp/B00AIEVU84

*Bring different pairs of comfortable shows and change them mid-day.
*Give yourself or have a loved one give your feet a massage. That is especially important all the time if you have circulation problems anyway. I don't like touching my husband's feet so he brings along a golf ball to massage his feet.
*quality flip-flops are nice alternatives, but I have found well broken in Crocs to be good for walking around too
*take frequent bench breaks while in the park, it is not only good for the feet but also good for relaxing and enjoying the view

My suggestion is go to a local running store and have them fit you for shoes. Go to a small business, family-owned type of running store and not a big retail chain. Most do the shoe and gait analysis for free and recommend the right shoe based on how you step. The shoe prices are similar to big retail chain stores. What's right for one person isn't necessarily right for the next person. You could be an underpronator, neutral, or overpronator and shoes will feel different for everyone.

I am a runner and before that, I bought the most recommended, highest rated shoes by the Running magazines. Guess what...it was wrong for my gait and ended up with tired achy feet and eventual plantar fasciitis. I went to my local running store and they fitted me, watched me run, studied my gait, and went home with shoes that's never given me any problems.

Crocs Rx... We do long trips to the parks.....8-10 days and go from just after opening to close. I have never had sore feet. No socks... just some baby powder.

We go back to the hotel every afternoon around 1:30 for some pool/Hot tub time. Several laps in the pool and then 15 minutes or so in the Hot Tub! Followed by a nice shower in the room and clean socks for the feet. We do this every day, it works for us! pixiedust::yay:pixiedust:

Skechers GoWalks are my go-to shoes. I've tried a ton of others, but these remain the only ones in which my arches don't hurt and I don't get blisters. Plus, they can be worn with or without socks. I also take Advil or Excedrin mid-day to try to head off the pain before it starts. If we're staying at a hotel, I like to try to go back mid-day for a rest and if it's warm enough, I soak my feet in the pool/spa, which helps me feel better, too. Oh, and stretching every chance I get.

Hot tub! Definitely. Get those feet next to the jets! Usually helps for a couple days but after that I also started using the H20 Softening Mint Foot Rub I found in our room offerings right before I went to sleep. That specific foot rub was found as a club level GCH offering but I suspect any foot rub lotion & a small massage right before sleeping was what really helped. (Shoe wise I have a pair of Walmart earth shoe sandals for day and my tennis shoes for night. I would die in flip flops at the parks as I'm a klutz & haven't experimented around with any other type of shoes mentioned above. BUT don't forget to test wear / break-in any new shoes before your trip, nothing like dying in your footwear in the middle of Paradise Pier to ruin your day!)

I have really whimpy feet...for me the key is alternating shoes every day and changing to fresh socks mid day and I am solid for a multi day trip.

I will suggest that part of the problem is that you were walking on a treadmill rather than the street. The movement is not the same on the treadmill and of course the ground has a different hardness. We usually spend time going for long walks in the months before a trip. It's good to get our kids in shape for all the walking too.

Someone I worked with gave me the helpful tip of changing your shoes half way through the day and it really helps.The other thing I do is stop often (every 15~30 minutes) and just sit and watch what's going on for 5 minutes or so. Not only does it make all your joints feel a bit better, it also allows you to really take DL in.

I agree about flip flops.....I actually found the Snauk's by default while crawling back to the hotel one night. I bought a pair of the flip flops from the store in DTD and they were a life saver...

I bring a pair of flip-flops too and my good tennis shoes. I wear the tennis shoes most, but I will often wear the flip flops for part of a day. As others mentioned I bring them for water rides, but then I'll often wear them longer. I have wider feet, so having the non constricting flip-flops really helps with any foot pain.

I have to bring my Sanuks next time...
A few weeks ago, I took Motrin after breakfast, lunch and dinner...It helped me tremendously. Usually my feet will not start to ache until I lay down to go to sleep. It was nice not to have that discomfort for a change. I hate taking meds, but ...whatever works...

I need to remember this next time.

We go back to the hotel every afternoon around 1:30 for some pool/Hot tub time. Several laps in the pool and then 15 minutes or so in the Hot Tub! Followed by a nice shower in the room and clean socks for the feet. We do this every day, it works for us! pixiedust::yay:pixiedust:

Yes, hot-tub and resting whether at the park or in the hotel. It's good to give the feet a break.

I usually go to the parks for 5-8 days straight and walk a lot. Usually 10-15 miles each day at DL.

I swear by my FitFlops. Note that it is "Fit" not "flip". They are the comfiest sandals ever! I heard they are not great for people with flat feet though. These shoes are the only reason I can survive DL for that many straight days.

Good shoes that fit your feet and gait are essential. They don't necessarily need to be walking shoes or running shoes, but I do feel like they need to be comfortable and supportive. I like the suggestion of going to a running store--but make sure they watch you walk, not run. For me, my most comfortable walking shoes are not the same shoes I wear for running--I have a pair just for walking in the parks (and any other long distances). I also have a pair of Ooofos flip flops that are super comfortable. I wear those on water rides, and maybe for a bit afterward.

The things I've done after running a half marathon and spending the rest of the day in the park include laying on the bed with my feet up on the wall (leg drain) for 5-10 minutes. I feel like an idiot while I do it, but it does make me feel better, so I don't care so much. It really helps with my feet and legs (because once my feet stop hurting I realize my legs are sore, too). If my feet are super sore, I'll run some very cold water in the bathtub or put it in one of the garbage bags and soak my feet for a bit. Some people do ice baths/soaks, but I find the cold water is cold enough. Those two things, coupled with a midday rest and advil/tylenol, seem to do the trick.

7 days at WDW with Sketchers Go Walks and Nike Flip Flops (rotating only wearing flip flops when we went back in the evenings). Also Aleve or Advil helps too.

I don't recommend specific footwear because everyone's feet are different. Frankly, for me cheap flip flops are better than the best shoes.

I do have a bad ankle (pins and plates) which can swell and ache like crazy and I've found that prevention is the key. I take Ibuprofen on waking and during the day (better to prevent than chase the pain) and an ankle brace to stabilize it. Try to elevate your feet during the day if you can, even resting them on a bench for a few minutes helps. Also move them when you're sitting; circle your ankles, wiggle toes, move feet up and down.

At night we stop by the hot tub and put our ankles/feet in as close to the jets as we can get for 10-15 mins. Stop by the ice machine and make up an ice pack (bring gallon baggies). Take a hot shower, ibuprofen or pain meds if you have them, massage your feet with peppermint foot lotion and elevate your feet/legs with pillows & put the ice packs on for 10 mins on, 10 mins off for 30-40 minutes. I usually put a washrag between my skin and the ice bag.

If you're thinking of compression socks, talk to your doctor first. True compression (TED) socks can cause problems themselves.

Thanks everyone, such great ideas. So I think my plan will be Ibuprofren, salon pas (this is perfect sounding for me) on everything while I'm walking, elevating and resting, and hot tub soaking and maybe ice. I think I'm not going to worry so much about shoe and just wear what is most comfortable already on a daily basis (snauk's) but change at least once a day. And if it all fails, just laugh at me if you see me doing the "boot scoot" cause even sore feet are so much better at Disneyland :)!

Do you have normal foot problems with your high arches? I resisted for a very long time, but I finally got custom orthotics 2 years ago for my plantar fasciitis. They made a WORLD of difference for me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter