What do I need to know about Miami and the Wonder?

mevelandry

DIS Veteran
hello!!

I had everything planned out. I had booked another 3 night Bahamas cruise on the dream... I had picked a room with a super oversized balcony. Everything sounded perfect.

But we started having doubts... We've been to Orlando 7 times, staying at Disney Hotels (or Downtown Disney Hotel) every time. The last time, half of the trip was a Disney Cruise (fell in love with the sea) ... We booked the perfect trip mentionned above.

Don't get me wrong: we love Disney World... but we feel like it's becoming a "routine vacation". We love the mouse but we need something different. We became afraid to be "bored" by our next cruise because now, we already know the ship and all of the restaurants, etc.

We decided to switch to Miami and the Disney Wonder. Boom. New Departing port. New Boat. 4 nights means 1 more night on board (yayyyyy!!!!) and a new stop: Key West. I've always wanted to visit Key West!!!

4E is not a thing on the Wonder so we booked a normal balcony 5C. It's on Deck 6.

So while I am super excited about the changes we made, I am a bit lost about the activities and restaurants on board. Is the food as good as it was on the Dream??? Which restaurant did you like the most? Animator's Palate (did not like it on the Dream) seems cuter on the Wonder.

Where should we stay before and after the cruise? (If we decide to stay 1 night after the cruise)

I would like to know everything about your experiences and I would especially like to hear from people who tried the Dream as well, to see how they would compare.

Thanks in advance!

Our first cruise was a 4 night Dream. second Cruise was a 5 night Wonder, third cruise was a 4 night Wonder and we will soon be on the Wonder again in a few weeks heading to Alaska. We love the Wonder!!! Love the smaller ship. Better service, more personalized. Shorter lines, no crowds piling up by the elevators. Same quality food. My favorite restaurant is Parrot Cay. I really like the standard menu in that restaurant. Animator's Pallete is completely different on the Wonder. Not sure which Animators Pallate is better but it is a completely different experience. We love Key West so I was thrilled that not only did our last itinerary take us there, but we were in port for a very long time. The Wonderr doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but once you have done the Aqua duck, mid ship detective agency and some of the other things on the Dream I think it turns into a " been there, done that". I am more about the shorter lines, the better service, and in my opinion an overall better experience.

We were in a 4a on the Dream and the 4a on our first Wonder cruise, the 4 a is a bit bigger on the Wonder ( but not noticibly) Our last cruise we dropped to a 5a and I did feel like it was significantly smaller. We are going back to a 4a for Alaska. I think you may find the 5c a bit small, but still nice.

Don't think twice about the Wonder, she is a beautiful ship, in great shape and you will have a magical experience. Nice to experince both a larger and smaller ship, to see which one is more for you. Don't get me wrong, we loved the Dream, had we not we wouldn't have even tried the Wonder, but now I do not see us going back to a bigger ship

Fyi the category 4 rooms on the Dream are 299 sq feet. On the Wonder category 4 rooms are 304 sq feet. On the wonder the category 5 rooms are 268 sq feet. I really didn't think the difference would be that big but it was. Room and bathrooms definitely felt cramped.

The holiday inn at the port is a great hotel. Across street from bay marketplace. Easy cab ride to port. Also love south beach. Lots of hotels to choose from. From Miami you can go to Everglades nat park or just enjoy the beaches. Take a few extra days and drive down the Keys.

The holiday inn at the port is a great hotel. Across street from bay marketplace. Easy cab ride to port. Also love south beach. Lots of hotels to choose from. From Miami you can go to Everglades nat park or just enjoy the beaches. Take a few extra days and drive down the Keys.

Thanks for the hotel suggestion.

I added the transfers to and from airport or hotel. What hotels are partners with DCL in Miami?

Unfortunately, Can't drive down the Keys: none of us have a drivers license. :rotfl2:

I understand that there is no Remy on board the Wonder. Is there any other "adult only" restaurant besides Palo?

Palo is the only adult restaurant.

I cannot recommend a Miami hotel. We stayed in Fort Lauderdale to visit with family and friends pre and post cruise.

As far as I know there aren't any Disney affiliated hotels but some may have shuttles to the port. I would call around

Though I do not know which hotels DCL offers to book for you in Miami, I am certain they have aligned themselves with a couple of hotels to book for passengers pre and/or post-cruise. There are no "Disney" hotels in Vancouver, BC, but they had a couple of higher end hotel options like the Pan Pacific for their cruisers.

We have stayed on deck 6 in 5c rooms on the Magic twice and have a 5c deck 6 on the Wonder for our cruise to Alaska. We have found the room is plenty big for the 4 of us. I love deck 6 - very central to everything.

hello!!

I had everything planned out. I had booked another 3 night Bahamas cruise on the dream... I had picked a room with a super oversized balcony. Everything sounded perfect.

But we started having doubts... We've been to Orlando 7 times, staying at Disney Hotels (or Downtown Disney Hotel) every time. The last time, half of the trip was a Disney Cruise (fell in love with the sea) ... We booked the perfect trip mentionned above.

Don't get me wrong: we love Disney World... but we feel like it's becoming a "routine vacation". We love the mouse but we need something different. We became afraid to be "bored" by our next cruise because now, we already know the ship and all of the restaurants, etc.

We decided to switch to Miami and the Disney Wonder. Boom. New Departing port. New Boat. 4 nights means 1 more night on board (yayyyyy!!!!) and a new stop: Key West. I've always wanted to visit Key West!!!

4E is not a thing on the Wonder so we booked a normal balcony 5C. It's on Deck 6.

So while I am super excited about the changes we made, I am a bit lost about the activities and restaurants on board. Is the food as good as it was on the Dream??? Which restaurant did you like the most? Animator's Palate (did not like it on the Dream) seems cuter on the Wonder.

Where should we stay before and after the cruise? (If we decide to stay 1 night after the cruise)

I would like to know everything about your experiences and I would especially like to hear from people who tried the Dream as well, to see how they would compare.

Thanks in advance!

We just got off the Wonder on Friday. I have to say, I liked the Dream better. It was a lot nicer, and it felt more "magical." That being said, the Winder is the last classic ship. But I missed the moving paintings that the Dream had. The Wonder also has less shops onboard, which means less merchandise. I was disappointed with that as well. The food was great! I couldn't tell a difference. If you get the chance, book the Palo brunch. It was so worth the extra cost! Skip the first night's show. It's called All Aboard: Let the Magic begin. It was really boring. Also, the drink machines on the pool deck are on one side of the ship so if you are on one side of the ship, you will have to walk across and it gets packed with the kids pools. I liked how it was centered on the Dream. We were on deck 8 and I would NOT recommend that deck. It is right below the pool and it was so loud all day and night. Any other questions, feel free to ask. :)

We just got off the Wonder on Friday. I have to say, I liked the Dream better. It was a lot nicer, and it felt more "magical." That being said, the Winder is the last classic ship. But I missed the moving paintings that the Dream had. The Wonder also has less shops onboard, which means less merchandise. I was disappointed with that as well. The food was great! I couldn't tell a difference. If you get the chance, book the Palo brunch. It was so worth the extra cost! Skip the first night's show. It's called All Aboard: Let the Magic begin. It was really boring. Also, the drink machines on the pool deck are on one side of the ship so if you are on one side of the ship, you will have to walk across and it gets packed with the kids pools. I liked how it was centered on the Dream. We were on deck 8 and I would NOT recommend that deck. It is right below the pool and it was so loud all day and night. Any other questions, feel free to ask. :)

Thanks for your infos!

I only noticed two moving paintings in the Dream. I should be fine with that. I'm also not a shopper. So far, no problem.

We are on Deck 6.

Where are the drink machines exactly? (I should take a look at all decks)
'
Did you try adult only sections and activities?

Thanks for your infos!

I only noticed two moving paintings in the Dream. I should be fine with that. I'm also not a shopper. So far, no problem.

We are on Deck 6.

Where are the drink machines exactly? (I should take a look at all decks)
'
Did you try adult only sections and activities?
Drink stations are deck 9 aft near Beach blanket.

image.jpg

The only thing that I do not like better about the Wonder is the buffet. They still have one long line vs. different sections. It can get long at times.
My DH and I spend most of our time in adult only areas. Pool is quiet and nice, clubs are not as spectacular as the Dream, but we still always have a nice time.

Thanks for the hotel suggestion.

I added the transfers to and from airport or hotel. What hotels are partners with DCL in Miami?

Unfortunately, The Holiday Inn will be closing this June and Condos will be built there instead. It really was a great location to bad we are losing it.

The only thing that I do not like better about the Wonder is the buffet. They still have one long line vs. different sections. It can get long at times.
My DH and I spend most of our time in adult only areas. Pool is quiet and nice, clubs are not as spectacular as the Dream, but we still always have a nice time.

Is the food at Beach Blanket as good as Cabanas? (We can deal with the lines, as long as the food is good LOL).

I did not visit the bars on the Dream at all... except for a Mixology Class. Can't really compare. :)

The adult Quiet Cove on the Wonder looks better (on pictures) than the one on the Dream.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter