What do I do about a car seat for a three year old in a rental car from airport to sh

Tonya2

Earning My Ears
We are tring to decide whether to drive to port Canaveral or to fly into Orlando and rent a car. We just live in Virginia, but my husband would really rather fly, so I have been doing my homework and comparing the pro's and con's of both, and thought of the following question. What do I do about a car seat for my three year old daughter, if we fly and rent a car from orlando to port. Surely we would not want to take one with us, what would we do with it on the ship?(We would turn our car in at Cocoa beach so as to not have to pay for parking all week, so it can't stay in the car) Do the car rental companies rent car seats too? Any help would be much appreciated!

Yes, car rental companies rent car seats. The only thing is, they don't always have them in stock at the smaller stations. So, if you did the one-way rental thing, you'd have no problem getting a rental car seat when you picked up your car at the Orlando airport, but there might not be one available at Cape Canaveral when you picked up your car after your cruise.

Every rental company I've every used had car seats available. Specify age/weight of child when you make the reservation, and it should be ready for you.

Well if you are flying wouldn't you have your chld in a car seat on the plane anyway so you would have one with you. A plane is no different than an auto....would you let your 3 year old sit with just a seat belt on in the car, well a plane should be no different. A while back there was a news show showing what happens to the "lap kids" and young kids with just seat belts on if the plane hits turbulance and it was not a pretty thing to watch! You can put the car seat in the closet of your stateroom, it may be a little inconvenient but your childs safety is well worth it.

Originally posted by Dave_from_Marietta
Yes, car rental companies rent car seats. The only thing is, they don't always have them in stock at the smaller stations. So, if you did the one-way rental thing, you'd have no problem getting a rental car seat when you picked up your car at the Orlando airport, but there might not be one available at Cape Canaveral when you picked up your car after your cruise.
Actually my sister has had a problem getting a car seat from MCO. Yes, she got there around noon one day, and the rental place didn't have any car seats left. When you place a car seat on a reservation, it's just a request, not a guarantee, so it is possible that you might not be able to get one, and I agree with Dave, you probably will have a problem at the smaller car rental place. You might even get a problem renting a seat on a one-way rental, since the seat will technically belong to the MCO location. I'd bring your car seat and use it on the plane for you 3 YO. The child will be MUCH more comfortable in their own seat, and much more secure also. If you are currently using a booster seat, that most likely won't be approved for aircraft use, then just check-it with luggage. I lugged TWO car seats on our last cruise, since we were driving down to South Florida after, and it really was no trouble storing them in the closet. They fit just fine, and really didn't take up much space. Also, a note, they didn't have any car seats at National in Cocoa Beach, I asked just to see when we picked up our car.

Instead of a full car seat, we just bring a booster seat. They are much easier to carry around. They also keep the kids just as safe!

When you get to the dock drop the seat with the rest of your bags with the porter, just make sure to put a luggage tag on it somehow. Then stay with your kids while your husband returns the car. This way you won't have to lug the seat around at all, it will be delivered to your room with the rest of your luggage and you can put it in the closet until you get back. Then just reverse the process, and pick it up after you disembark with the rest of your luggage.

An added bonus of taking it on the ship with you is if you rent a car on the islands you have a car seat! I felt much safer having my kids in a car we were driving than putting them in a cab with no car seat.

You could use a towncar service for transportation.. most of them provide carseats free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter