What did you do to save money this week (2/4/07)?

Ok, I just listed 16 books at half.com and have 10 for the consignment store, 7 for DH to take to the girls at work for their kids who are perfect age / reading level for them, and 21 to be donated. Whew!

I really hope the books will sell on half.com - I certainly don't mind donating books but it would be nice to recoup some of what we've spent on books over the years (and years and years). Especially since I'm not only working on SAVING right now, it would be nice to do some extra EARNING!

Personally I would love to check out what other DISBoarders have for sale on auction sites, etc.... is it "legal" to post our seller-names for other sites here? Guess I should search through the Terms of Service, but in the meanwhile, can I just say anyone who has stuff listed, feel free to PM me with where you have your stuff listed -- I'd much rather support my fellow DISers, KWIM?

What do y'all do with books?

If they're paperback kids books, like the scholastic ones, they pretty well in lots on ebay. If they're from a series like Magic Treehouse or Junie B. Jones you might do better one half.com because people look for specific titles to round out their collections.

This morning 4 of my kids had their bowling league. It costs $24 ($6 apiece) and I have to pay individually, like $6 in each envelope, so instead of taking $40 out of the ATM at the bowling alley, then buying something we didn't need from the snack bar to break the 20's, I stopped at the gas station and bought a couple things we do need with my debit card and took the extra money out at the register asking the cashier for what I needed so I had exact change to pay for bowling.

Other than that I think I am staying home the rest of the day and catching up on some cleaning while the kids are outside so no shopping or online shopping for me. I have been toying with the idea of taking the kids out to Burger King for dinner since I don't have any meat thawed, but instead I think I'll make grilled cheese sandwiches and cut up some fruit and veggies to go with it.

Ok, I just listed 16 books at half.com and have 10 for the consignment store, 7 for DH to take to the girls at work for their kids who are perfect age / reading level for them, and 21 to be donated. Whew!

I really hope the books will sell on half.com - I certainly don't mind donating books but it would be nice to recoup some of what we've spent on books over the years (and years and years). Especially since I'm not only working on SAVING right now, it would be nice to do some extra EARNING!

Personally I would love to check out what other DISBoarders have for sale on auction sites, etc.... is it "legal" to post our seller-names for other sites here? Guess I should search through the Terms of Service, but in the meanwhile, can I just say anyone who has stuff listed, feel free to PM me with where you have your stuff listed -- I'd much rather support my fellow DISers, KWIM?

It is legal to post your ebay username, but not direct links to your auctions. Many people (me included) have their ebay usernames in their signatures. Also, on ebay if you type "disboards" in the search and click the little box that says "search by title and description" some Diser's have been putting Proud Member of the disboards or something like that in their auctions so it comes up like that. One more thing, there is a thread "what's everyone selling on ebay" going. HTH.

It is legal to post your ebay username, but not direct links to your auctions. Many people (me included) have their ebay usernames in their signatures. Also, on ebay if you type "disboards" in the search and click the little box that says "search by title and description" some Diser's have been putting Proud Member of the disboards or something like that in their auctions so it comes up like that. One more thing, there is a thread "what's everyone selling on ebay" going. HTH.

hey Thanks -- I'll have to check that out - thanks for the tip about searching the item description for DISBoards.

My ebay name is nzmommy.

I take old magazines to the library all the time(there's a cart of them people go through and each one is only a dime). But my thing is getting new movies from there and saving rental fees(today's finds: Cry Wolf and The Illusionist plus a season of CSI)

Question about Wal*Mart: have their prices gone up A LOT in the recent years? I used to shop there regularly when I was in college and for a few years after-then stopped due to me disagreeing with a lot of what the store does-now, in the little town I live in-sometimes Wal*Mart is the only option for items, or the only store open. Whenever I go in there, I feel like it's just a rip-off-they preach low-prices, but almost everything I buy seems more expensive, or just as expensive as any other store. And I glanced at the clothing, wow! $25 - $30 for a SHIRT? I get better deals at Macy's and JC Penny! Just wondering if it's this Wal*Mart, or if it's a theme throughout the chain?

Yes, I've all but quit WM due to they are now more expensive than the grocery store on a lot of things. Example: Last week I was at the grocery store and needed eggs, among other things I had coupons for (grocery doubles; WM doesn't). I knew later that day I needed to take DS to WM for an item he wanted, and I figured the eggs would be cheaper at WM. Wrong! They were $1.39 at the store; $1.52 at WM. WM milk is over $3; at Braums it is $2.49 and $2.89 at the grocery store. Sam Walton would roll over in his grave at WM practices these days.:rolleyes:

Dh informed me that he needs new jeans. He found a pair he liked at L.L.Bean's website for $19.99 (he wants 2 pair). I did some searching and found a comparable pair at Kohl's on clearance for $11.99. But I convinced him to wait and let me try and find him some at the local thrift store :-)

I was never one to redeem bottles and cans but as of 1/1 I've been saving them. Tonight I went to Price Chopper to pick up a couple things and I redeemed them - $4.50 worth! :banana: :banana:

Also needed laundry detergent...I didn't have a coupon but it was buy one, get TWO free!

I just started another bunch of seeds for pot tomatoes. Total cost $1.89 and I"ll have more tomatoes than I know what to do with.

I also grow basil in a pot on my windowsill. Water it once a week, cut off leave as needed for pizza and whatever.

We grow both in the summer for a couple recipes that my cousin taught me in Italy (her neighbor is the stereotypical Italian matriarch, doing her own gardening, raising rabbits, etc) Super easy, but everyone loves them. Put a little olive oil in a pan (enough to just cover the bottom) and cut small tomatoes (cherry, grape, etc) into halves with a clove or two of garlic (chopped or through a press) Just let it simmer for awhile (usually 30-45 minutes for us - depends on how much you're making, how your stove heats, etc) The tomatoes will sort of "melt" until you have a sauce with just small chunks of tomatoes. At the end, add some chopped basil and pour the pomodoro sauce over spagetti. Then there's one we stole from Everyday Italian, which is the same "sauce" over ditalini (or any small pasta like that) and add chunks of mozzerella. Then, there's the bruschetta that's basically that same recipe uncooked. Cut the tomatoes (I like to go smaller, into 1/4ths to make it easier to eat) drizzle olive oil over them, add chopped garlic (to taste) and chopped basil. Then just pick your favorite bread, slice it and toss it right onto the racks in the oven for a few minutes til they toast. Then just scoop the tomatoes on top. We've even used leftover tomatoes over grilled chicken. We end up with these really yummy dinners for practically nothing all summer long. It's great.

Today I was scrubbing the tub with my Scrubbing Bubbles from the CVS deal. I had DH take off the shower doors so that I could scrub under them with a toothbrush. (Mine!! But I have some free ones from CVS in the cupboard.) Anyway, he takes them off and then decides he is sick of having the shower doors so he takes the track off and everything!!!! So, I have to run out to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get a new shower curtain. Well, I am about 3 houses down the road when I realize I didn't bring any 20% off coupons! I think I have a million of them in my coupon stack. So I back up and run in and get the coupons.

I had to buy a shower rod, shower curtain, shower liner, and hooks. Luckily I brought 4 coupons, so I saved 20% off on everything!! The cashier even let me use all 4 at the same time and I didn't have to go through the line 4 times.

Maggie

I went to SuperTarget. I had a $10 off coupon if you spent $100. I gave them the coupon and it wouldn't scan. The manager went to get a different coupon. She only had a $12 coupon. She gave that to me and gave me my original coupon too.:banana:

I had $35 in Rewards money from Best Buy. I had to buy two birthday presents for 2DS's 2 friends parties. I bought a couple of Wii games and still left with $5 in Rewards money left over.

I just got back from Kohl's. Went to get three items (kind of) and came back with three.

I got a bannana tree 1/2 price for 8.49, and a candlabra thingy for the niches in the entryway into the MBR--we've been trying to figure out what to put there for 2 1/2 years, this isn't the "perfect" thing but after 2.5 years of looking, that perfect thing might not exist, and this will do. It was also on sale, $7.99. The third thing I was going to buy was new pillows, but they didn't have any king pillows, so I didn't get any. But I got an impulse buy, a nice candle base that looks nice in my living room and will accomodate a pillar type candle. That was also half price, $7.49. So total saved on the two items I "needed" was $16.48, less the impulse buy of $7.49 and I saved $9.

I picked up and put back down some Fiestaware three times, deciding that I really don't need anymore even at 50% off, my shelves are already overflowing with it.

Anne

Well, I needed a lot of things, so I used my Target card, but them whent to Guest Services and made a payment for $150, $10 over the amount of my purchase (139. and change)

I did this so I would earn my Target points and so DD school would get the 1%. I will of course, still make my 'regular' payment as well.

For dinner tonight GH went and got a take-n-bake pizza for us. There was me, DH, DH's son, my DD and her friend. He only got one pizza and it was plenty for all of us! That sure saved a lot over going out for pizza, sodas and DH's beer!

And it was nice not to have to cook tonight, as I've been doing all kinds of cooking at hoe lately and really miss going out all the time.....a very nivve compromise!

WOOHOO!!!!!

Today is day 28 of the IPCEO! FOUR WHOLE WEEKS WITHOUT EATING OUT EVEN ONCE!

I'm waiting for the paper to come so I can get the coupons to do my shopping. I need to leave in 45 minutes to take DS to work--at Publix--and I'm hoping I can combine the trip.

I got an e-mail with $5 off a $30 purchase at CVS, so I'm rethinking not going over there. I've got to take a look at DH's toiletry supplies and see if there's anything he needs. He'll be here about four or five weeks of the next 2.5 months, so he'll go through things. And I just noticed FLINSTONES VITAMINS ARE ON SALE!! :cool1: :cool1: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I know, it's the little things in life...

Anne

ok, I"m shutting this one down....please follow me to the new thread:cool2:

Wait a minute....did you say Flintstone's were on sale?!:woohoo:

I used to shop the bread outlet in NJ. I do'nt know if there is one around here. I'll ahve to find out, because there were some amazing deals to be had. We don't eat all that much bread, and what we do eat I make in my machine, but we do a lot of burger rolls. If there was one not too far out of my way it might be worthwhile to swing by every couple months and buy a few bags.

Anne

Merita bread...just before downtown.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter