What color is this dress?!

I must be missing something because I don't see on what planet that is black and blue. It's gold and white!

So what's the trick?

It has something to do with the cones and rods in your eyes... the dress is actually black and blue! lol I saw gold and white the first time I saw it, but saw the photo again later and it was black and blue!

My friends and I see two different color combos, what colors do you see?

View attachment 79941

There is NO WAY you all are seeing that dress with these colors?
v3lvg1.jpg

I saw one article on this with a poll and 70% see white and gold.

Honestly, it's fairly mind boggling to me. It looks undoubtedly blue and black to me. (Which are the colors of the actual dress.) it just seems crazy that less than 1/3 of people see this the way it actually is. Makes me wonder if this happens all the time, but we just have no way of knowing that others are seeing things differently.

I understand the phenomenon, but it really seems nearly impossible to me that anyone could perceive that photo as a white and gold dress.

Blue and black.... We just asked Around my office and its about 50% blue/black and 50% white/gold. The whole thing amazes me.

Last edited:
The pic looks white and gold to me but the actual color is blue and black. The person posting the pic is believed to have changed the exposure or used photoshop. Google the real picture and it is obviously blue and black.

This is the actual dress. It is clearly blue and black but the other pic floating around looks white and gold.

Last edited:
I see blue and black as does my husband. My husband said they were looking at the image in the staff room at work this afternoon. It was a 50/50 split between people seeing blue and black or white and gold.

The pic looks white and gold to me but the actual color is blue and black. The person posting the pic is believed to have changed the exposure or used photoshop. Google the real picture and it is obviously blue and black.
That may be, but my DD and I were looking at the same image and she saw blue/black and I saw gold/white. It's quite bizarre. LOL

Now I'm back to white/gold. Grrr... My eyes are playing tricks on me.

Untitled-12-660x334.jpg

The original image is in the middle. At left, white-balanced as if the dress is white-gold. At right, white-balanced to blue-black.
gallery-cam@2x.png
swiked
Source

Obviously you can use photoshop or other photo manipulation software (which they did above). However, we TRUST our eyes. But should we?

Untitled-12-660x334.jpg

The original image is in the middle. At left, white-balanced as if the dress is white-gold. At right, white-balanced to blue-black.
gallery-cam@2x.png
swiked
Source

Obviously you can use photoshop or other photo manipulation software (which they did above). However, we TRUST our eyes. But should we?
I saw this image set in an article, but even that I still can't see white and gold.

The manipulated image on the left still looks blue and black to me. The colors are slightly washed out, but still without any doubt blue and black.

Hmm, now looking at it today in the daylight it looks a little more light blue and grayish, so I'm getting closer! So weird.

Untitled-12-660x334.jpg

gallery-cam@2x.png
swiked
Source

To me, the right pick still looks white and gold but it also looks as if it is under a UV type light.

Untitled-12-660x334.jpg

gallery-cam@2x.png
swiked
Source

I'm still absolutely mind-boggled over this.

I see the blue/black in the third image obviously. But it's the 2nd image that is the original one and what everyone should be commenting on, not the dresses on either side of it.

So.....to get this straight, some of you are actually saying that you see the dress in the middle image and the dress in the 3rd image EXACTLY the same????

I'm still flabbergasted if that is so.

I'm still absolutely mind-boggled over this.

I see the blue/black in the third image obviously. But it's the 2nd image that is the original one and what everyone should be commenting on, not the dresses on either side of it.

So.....to get this straight, some of you are actually saying that you see the dress in the middle image and the dress in the 3rd image EXACTLY the same????

I'm still flabbergasted if that is so.

No, they're not exactly the same, but they are all very clearly blue and black.

The left image is slightly washed out (like the dress is old) and the right image is brighter (like if you "boost" the colors when editing a photo). I don't see how anyone would see them as "the same", we are just saying that we don't see any white and gold in any of the images (even the left one which is supposed to be closest to what those who say "white/gold" are seeing still looks obviously blue/black to me).

I was wondering of the image had been tinkered with in general. It's pretty easy to photoshop an image, even from a phone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!