What better way to grieve than to do it in WDW? - PTR/TR November 2015 Trip - Completed 12/7/15

mindylee847

DIS Veteran
Welcome and Introductions

Thanks for stopping by. I want to warn you up front that my trip report is going to be filled with a lot of emotion ranging from depressed to elated right now. So there you have it.

I booked a trip last night on November 12th for November 26th - November 28th. Ridiculous right? Well, let me tell you first a little bit about myself and what has happened.

My name is Mindy. I'm 28 and have an amazing husband. Words can't describe what I would do without this guy. His name is Mike and we've been together since sophomore year of high school. We've had the good times and the bad, but we've recently experienced one of the hardest thing I think we'll ever have to endure in our lives. Below is a picture of us (with my Dad's favorite character!).

10987454_695386374308_1940082652104338850_n_zpsrgpu7pmu.jpg

On October 26th, my father committed suicide. I say this because the more I say it - the more real it's becoming for me. The more I talk about the reality, the more at peace I become... even though it's incredibly difficult. My dad suffered depression on top of many other things. You would never know it, unless you lived with him. He couldn't hide it all of the time. It came out at home a lot... my mom tried to keep up with him and help him through things, but it was too hard and they officially divorced after 37 years of marriage a year ago. I couldn't keep my dad happy any longer and he began to push my brother and I away. He distanced himself, made us angry with him... and I'm just trying to deal with it. Anyways, I could go on and on about this but I'm trying to focus on moving on, understanding, and finding peace. Below is a picture of my dad with his favorite thing in Disney - the trains!

16879_513009399228_6613848_n_zps5qcloa0l.jpg

Well, Thanksgiving is coming up. And honestly, the family closeness just is going to make me upset. Thinking about how I should have tried harder... why didn't I see my dad last Thanksgiving? Why did I let him push me away? You know... on and on... so I suggested going away to Mike and he said to check the budget and do it if we can. We actually have a trip planned to Disneyland at the end of February and we recently saved around $400 on that trip that we weren't expecting and we used some Disney Dream dollars to cover those plane tickets out to Cali and figured... we were going to be spending this amount anyways and it all worked out.

We will be driving back and forth which means only the two nights in WDW. We love driving and I also have a problem with flying - which is a whole different story when it comes to our Cali trip coming up. Bleh. :crazy2: Anyways, I feel like driving is a great time to just talk and sing and be goofy. I just love it.

So here's our current plan:

Wednesday, November 25th - Hit the road and head down to Louisville, KY from Milwaukee, WI after working until about 2 PM.
Thursday, November 26th - Get back on the road in Louisville around 5:30 AM and head down to All Star Movies! Our goal is to get there by 7/8 PM. Not sure with time zone differences how this will all work out... but then we hope to head to DTD to go to the new Indiana Jones bar and maybe find the Packers game on TV somewhere. (Not sure the effect of Thanksgiving on operating hours and stuff...)
Friday, November 27th - Hollywood Studios all day for the Osborne Lights and my favorite ride, Tower of Terror (a billion times!).
Saturday, November 28th - Breakfast at a monorail hotel to check out the decorations and leave around noon. Head up to Nashville, TN for the night.
Sunday, November 29th - Nashville, TN back up to Milwaukee, WI.

So come along if you can handle it! It won't be too long of a TR but I plan to take a LOT of pictures. :cool2:

Some Pre-Planning and Reservations

Good Morning, Disers! :sunny: We've told the family that we needed to about our trip and that all went well. My brother is disappointed that he won't be joining us, but his job wouldn't allow him to take the time off. But we did offer for him to join us if he could - and apparently that's enough for him. I'll just have to "snap" him some shots of our day.

I was pretty nervous about snagging any ADRs for our trip and Fastpasses as well. I've always heard nightmares about these sorts of things... but I guess I also didn't care to get any big ticket items. I was interested in the Minnie's Holiday dining experience, but my husband didn't want to "waste the time" we had during the one park day so that's understandable.

For dining reservations I was able to get Captain's Grille on Friday morning. It runs a little bit into park opening, but this way I'll be over there to see the decorations at the Beach Club, Yacht Club, and at the Boardwalk before going into Hollywood Studios. Plus, I absolutely love their lemon ricotta hotcakes. I basically talk about them once a week to my husband. :thumbsup2

For Saturday, we initially had the Grand Floridian Cafe since I couldn't get Kona. But I checked back the next day and surprise!! I got my Kona ADR. :goodvibes Now, I've eaten there before and our service wasn't that great and I found out that I'm definitely not a Tonga Toast fan. I can't handle that much sweet food that early in the morning. But, I do love their Kona press pot! So I'm excited for another visit.

And as far as Fastpasses go, here's the line up:
Tower of Terror 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Rock 'n' Rollercoaster 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Star Tours - The Adventure Continues 3:15 PM - 4:15 PM

My husband wanted me to get Toy Story over RnR, but there were absolutely no options. He asked if I minded waiting in the line for it and I said maybe... but I reminded him that we'll be in Disneyland soon and that people aren't as crazed about it there so hopefully he can just wait it out! Plus, we ended up skipping RnR on our trip this last February to WDW so I kinda really want to go on it. But the main focus of this trip isn't for the rides anyways... so just trying to keep that in mind. :)

On a non-Disney related note, we also reserved rooms at the Red Roof Inn in Louisville for the drive down and in Nashville on the drive back up. Last time we drove, we didn't plan where we were going to stop and it was just not a fun experience driving around trying to find a hotel at 11 at night. This time we will be smarter about that!

Anyways, that's all for now! Thanks again for following along.

Oh Mindy, I'm so sorry for your loss. I completely understand wanting to get away during the holiday. I had a cousin do the same the first Christmas after losing her husband.

I hope you have safe travels, great weather, short lines and are able to find peace on this trip.

Mindy,

So sorry to hear about your loss. I can't imagine how hard it is, but I am so happy for you and your husband that you get to enjoy some quality time in your happy place!! I can't wait to read more and hear all about your trip.

We just got back and had breakfast at Kona, it was awesome! I know you said you can't do too much sweet. I wasn't a huge fan of the tonga toast either, although we just did that at Captain Cooks. I had the pineapple macadamia pancakes and they were AMAZING!

Have a fantastic trip!!

Oh Mindy, I'm so sorry for your loss. I completely understand wanting to get away during the holiday. I had a cousin do the same the first Christmas after losing her husband.

I hope you have safe travels, great weather, short lines and are able to find peace on this trip.

Thanks for reading along and your good wishes and thoughts, annie170. I'm glad I don't sound crazy when talking to people about just escaping these few short days. I did see that the crowd level is a 9 for that day, but I'm totally prepared and don't really mind. I'll be in the most wonderful place!

Mindy,

So sorry to hear about your loss. I can't imagine how hard it is, but I am so happy for you and your husband that you get to enjoy some quality time in your happy place!! I can't wait to read more and hear all about your trip.

We just got back and had breakfast at Kona, it was awesome! I know you said you can't do too much sweet. I wasn't a huge fan of the tonga toast either, although we just did that at Captain Cooks. I had the pineapple macadamia pancakes and they were AMAZING!

Have a fantastic trip!!

Thanks, Vernie822. It's been really rough. I was actually thinking about trying out the pinapple macadamia nut pancakes this time! Glad to hear that they are amazing! I'm also just really stoked for that press pot of coffee. It'll be a great jump start to our drive home, that's for sure! Thank you for reading along.

8 Days and Counting

Yesterday was a great Disney-filled night! Look what was shipped to our place already! We booked Thursday night and our bands were already at our place and personalized! We didn't get the matching luggage tags, but I like these ones even more than the individual character ones. :thumbsup2

12273657_734351093698_734807214852130810_o_zpst1nuxyzd.jpg

Also - this I still can't believe. I went on to the WDW website and for fun, I looked up the Merry & Bright Dessert Party for next Friday. Of course, all the 7 PM reservations were all booked up but I noticed a 9:30 option!! None of the websites or anything have mentioned an additional seating being offered... but I was able to book a 9:30 and I was charged for it so I'm assuming it's a thing? :cool1: I feel almost as if that's not real though, but I sure hope so! What a great way to end our night!

That's all for now! Thanks for reading. :cool2:

The Dessert Party sounds awesome!! Especially on a quick trip, you'll have a nice spot to watch the lights. We considered it but we didn't book it. Someday I would like to try a dessert party.

Love the luggage tags. The gray ones are my favorite!

I'm very sorry to hear about your dad :( I think getting away for Thanksgiving will be good for you. Your little getaway sounds like fun, especially getting to see the Osborne Lights!

Thank you all so much for your support. It really means a lot. Last night was really difficult for me - I don't know why... but I was just so depressed. Even thinking about heading to Disney wasn't able to cheer me up. I know that's supposed to happen in these times and that everyone grieves in their own way... but why does it have to suck so much?

Today I woke up in a better mood as I had a dream about my Dad last night. He was his normal goofy self but still, somewhat serious. I haven't had many dreams since I haven't been able to sleep a lot so it was good to finally have one where I finally just felt... okay again.

On a brighter note - we leave in one week!! :hyper: My husband is already on board with my finding the new Starbucks Christmas mug and picking up a Louisville You Are Here mug as well. I didn't think he would be since we have so many mugs already, but he said to go for it! I also loaded up my Disney Visa Dream Reward Dollars for the trip too. I believe both breakfasts that we are signed up for are also 10% off with our Visa as well! It's going to be a good trip - I can just feel it!

Weather Update

Just taking a quick look at the weather forecast for next weekend. We will only be there for part of Thursday and Saturday, and Saturday we won't even really be outside - but I just wanted to look!

Capture_zpswa5utfpd.png

For comparison, I looked up the weather for next Friday here in Milwaukee and the forecast is a high of 47 degrees! So needless to say, I'm excited to be in practically 80 degree weather with a low in the 60s! :thumbsup2

I can't imagine how difficult it is for you. It's a day by day battle with some days being worse than others. :hug:

You are going to have a great trip, I am sure of it! I'm glad the weather is looking good too!

I'm so sorry for your loss. Depression is a very hard thing. I hope you can find peace and have a relaxing time at Disney. Your plans sound great. Safe travels! :flower:

Following!! and I can't wait to hear about your trip!! :love:

Just a quick SORRY about your dad!! I haven't experienced suicide or that deep depression (in my family) I have experienced the loss of both of my parents almost 5 years ago (but 54 days apart) so I can understand your feelings/pain of not having your dad around and those thoughts of "what if" and "maybe if I had" and "why didn't I.."...I still have them but they are farther apart and over time you'll come to understand that those questions just can't always be answered and sometimes it's best to not ponder/worry/wonder about them too much...:hug:

ANYHOO!!

I love the idea of a quick planned trip!! I wish DH and I could do that but I'm (patiently) waiting for June 11, 2016 to arrive so I can have my quick planned trip start! :D:D

:jumping1:

Thank you, guys!! I'm so glad you're following along and your kind words and wishes are really helping. :goodvibes Six days until we hit the road!!

And here is a quick dining update! I cancelled the dessert party. After a lot of discussion with my husband, we decided it just didn't make sense for us to do it. I had read some reviews and what not and I wasn't really wowed by the blanket that you get and I was concerned about the dessert since I can't have too much dairy. I can have some, but probably not enough to justify an entire dessert party... and while I know I can request food to avoid it, it didn't seem worth the cost to us anymore.

But here's something awesome - initially and ideally I wanted an ADR for Minnie's Holiday Dine - well, lo and behold, this morning I searched for dinners and there was an 8:35 ADR available on the app!! I snagged it, but I am a little worried that it isn't the holiday dining?? It doesn't say anything about the Holiday Dine on the reservation and I know that they were doing Fantasmic packages or something?? I'm not sure - I asked my TA for more information on it to find out what I booked exactly. Waiting on her response, but I don't think they have a separate room for non-holiday dinners... lol.

I keep changing our plans around! Haha, it's something my husband has come to just understand and deal with regarding our Disney trips. It's often said when I first book dining that he doesn't even care what the plans are because I'll be changing them anyways on and off until we are there! :rotfl:

Well that's it for now! :wave:

Edit: When I go online on an actual computer to check the reservation, it is listed as Minnie's Holiday Dine!! :yay:

I think you made an awesome move, everything I have read about the Holiday Dine has been nothing but good! I don't usually hear great things about Hollywood and Vine but it really seems like they stepped it up for the holidays. Also, the desserts look fabulous so I'm sure that will make up for the dessert party. ;)

I agree on the dessert party, I can't have much dairy either and I just didn't think I'd get my moneys worth lol. Plus you could always just grab dessert and walk around Osborne Lights! :)

Sorry for your loss Mindy.

I did something very similar when my Mom passed. I buried her on Monday and by Friday my DH and dd (5 montHs at the time) flew from NY to MCO . I needed to be in my happy place, my moms happy place.
I am sure the rest of my family thought it was extremely bizarre . But, I needed to have a line drawn ... Sort of like a different beginning ... I knew my grief was going to be a forever thing for me, I knew time would help me deal with it, change old habits.
I was so glad I took that time. Sitting at home wasn't going to help. I eventually had to go back to work and my life of being a wife and mother.
We only went for the weekend. It was enough to lift me up and help me go on.

I hope that you find comfort.
Our parents passing was not our choice. It was not something that we could have changed.
Find solace in your memories.

Have a magical trip.

Mindy, I am so sorry for your loss. My mom died in September and last month my husband suggested we go to WDW. It's been a very long time since either he or I have been, and he just wanted to do anything he could to make me happy (which of course is a little impossible but I love him for it). I have to say, spending my time planning this trip and obsessing over it has made my grief easier in some ways, because with the holidays coming up I know I will be sad but there is also the bright light of our January trip. I hope your trip is excellent and provides you with new happy memories.

I'm so glad to have found a place where people understand. I'm so sorry for all of your losses as well. This is so hard. Last night I started questioning everything all over again. I did notice that there at least seems to be some time in between now where I'm not delving so deeply back into it, so that's probably a good sign. I think I'm going to continually go back to question why he chose to leave us... I know I'll probably never understand it. But maybe one day I'll be able to accept that - I don't know. I really truly appreciate all of your support. :)

On a Disney note, we decided against doing Disney Springs on Thursday night. I snagged a reservation for Jiko at 8:50 PM for Thanksgiving dinner!! I'm really stoked for this and can't wait to try it out. My husband and I have been dying to go there. We've done Sanaa and loved it and Boma's breakfast was delicious. Plus, I can't wait to see AKL decked out for the holidays!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter