what baby sling do you recommend

SnowWhite12

DIS Veteran
for Disney? We'll be taking our then-to-be 10 month old son in April. He'll probably be around 22 pounds by then. I've never used any kind of sling or carrier before, because our 4 year old daughter has always loved a stroller. But he doesn't. And I don't really want to be holding him in my arms waiting in lines. I have no idea what kind to buy. Want something safe, easy to use, and not expensive. Thanks.

When my DD was 10 months old she lived in her Babyhawk - it is a mei tei (sp?) carrier - easy to put on and take off (even repeatedly). You can wear them in the front or the back too.

we also had a sling that we used more for when she was younger but it makes for a nice hip carry
maya wrap

good luck

try baby wearers websites and you can find one used and get advice from the experts

I have sooooo many types of babycarriers. I currently love the Mei Tai because it is cool and can be used up to toddlers. An Ergo or Becco are also good options if you are looking for something more structured.
I love babywearing and it makes so much sense in crowded environments. Safer for the baby and they get less over stimulated.
There is a great baby wearing site that you'll find if you Google for it. There is also a site that rents different types of carriers so you can try them before buying them. I don't have access to that link right now ( on e-ticket ) but I will post it tomorrow when I am on my real computer.

I adore my Baby Hawk Mei Tai. Hands down my favorite. It's great when you're going to be carrying for a while, like walks to the bus stop, if you stand on the bus you don't even have to take them out to ride. Another one to look into is a ring sling, it's easier to get on and off quickly.

I like MT's but I hate that the straps drag on the ground....

I think you're best bet is going to be a SSC (soft structured carrier) like a Beco or Ergo (the 2 best know, there are others out there that are great too - if not better, LOL!)

I posted a video of me putting my 6 month old on my back in another thread....lemme see if I can find it....

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2364462

Our Baby Bjorn went to WDW twice. The first time our son was 11 mos old. The second he was 20 mos old. Its comfortable for mom and dad. Baby can ride forwards or backwards and you can switch parents without taking baby out of the carrier. Two thumbs way up!

I like the pouch kind (my faves were Maya wrap pouch--but I don't think they make them anymore.) They are super easy to use. Just adjust to the right size (once--until they grow again), from then on just slip the baby in and you're good to go. I could even do it all myself easily. All the weight is on your shoulders, not your neck if you do it right. We toured parks for a week with an 8 month old and again when he was 15mos old and it was great. He took naps in there and I could just go about my business. PLUS--it folds quite small to tuck in a diaper bag. Perfect.

I have had them all....Bjorn Active (only liked for the ity bity phase), Baby Hawk (liked it alot), Belle (over priced crap), Hotsling (good for short periods of time), Zolo (ditto), Maya (best for snuggling) and Ergo (gets a gold medal!). The only one I would take to WDW would be the Ergo. The Babyhawk is great, but the straps actually become annoying. The Ergo can be worn hip, back or front and is the most comfortable by far (IMO....of course!) Not a cheap carrier, but the best!

I like MT's but I hate that the straps drag on the ground....

I think you're best bet is going to be a SSC (soft structured carrier) like a Beco or Ergo (the 2 best know, there are others out there that are great too - if not better, LOL!)

I posted a video of me putting my 6 month old on my back in another thread....lemme see if I can find it....

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2364462

your little guy and my guy have the same birthday!! my guy is way smaller though, only 15.5 lbs! i liked your video and i'm wondering if my guy could fit in an ergo on the back now at his size. we are leaving on sunday (1 week!!!) and i'm considering buying an ergo tomorrow.

we currently have the bjorn and DS really likes to face out. i wonder if he will like the ergo since he has to face in??

OP, i have a moby too that i like but i find it a little confusing sometimes. it was really good when DS was tiny (5.5 lbs at birth) because he could nap right up next to me aka his food source.

I absolutely loved having my maya wrap (homemade maya wrap...ALOT cheaper!) for hip carrying dd in Disney, she was 10 months at the time. I think she spent more time in the sling than she did in the stroller.

your little guy and my guy have the same birthday!! my guy is way smaller though, only 15.5 lbs! i liked your video and i'm wondering if my guy could fit in an ergo on the back now at his size. we are leaving on sunday (1 week!!!) and i'm considering buying an ergo tomorrow.

we currently have the bjorn and DS really likes to face out. i wonder if he will like the ergo since he has to face in??

OP, i have a moby too that i like but i find it a little confusing sometimes. it was really good when DS was tiny (5.5 lbs at birth) because he could nap right up next to me aka his food source.

awww, how cute!!! I do have a porker on my hands!
he's most definitely big enough to go on your back! Just start practicing now before you get to the parks! And it's never bothered any of my kids to face in! They can still look around and they have the option to bury into you if things are overstimulating ;)

he's most definitely big enough to go on your back! Just start practicing now before you get to the parks! And it's never bothered any of my kids to face in! They can still look around and they have the option to bury into you if things are overstimulating ;)

ETA: I carried around my 3 month old last time in a ring sling for the majority of the trip and my shoulder was KILLING me by the end of the trip - I wish I had used the Ergo more, but the sling was cooler (solarveil)

I love my Cat bird Baby Pikkolo carrier. It is a soft structure carrier. Like the MI but w/o the ties that drag. It is all buckle carrier. I can carry ds on my hip, facing in and on my back. We have been using it since he has been 8 months old. It is very easy to use. Definitely try out all the different kinds. I was orginally going to purchase an Ergo but it didn't fit me right. I am bigger on the top and the ergo is worn like a backward backpack. It kept slipping off my shoulder. The Pikkolo criss crosses in the back for front carry.

We have used it alot for the last 2 yrs at WDW.

HTH

Thanks to all for your suggestions! Keep 'em coming. I have a VERY bad back so I have to have something that won't put added strain. And thanks for the video! Although, I'm scared I wouldn't be able to twist like that right now with my back. I know people have suggested a ring sling, and others. I'm just scared I could never figure out how to use them. When you buy any kind of carrier, do they come with videos for instruction?

If you have a bad back, I would not recommend a Ring Sling. You'll need something that distributes the weight equally across both shoulders. The Mei Tai, a woven wrap, the Ergo or Beco would be much more comfortable for you.

It is actually better physiologically for the baby to face inwards, than outwards. They feel safer and if they get over stimulated from all of life's activitiy they can hide a bit by focusing on their favorite, safe person for awhile.

Do be careful with the Bjorn as the baby dangles from their crotch, rather than sitting on their bum. This puts pressure on several major nerves and can cause spinal compression.

I really want to try the Ergo for our next trip. I think my daughter would get a kick out of the back carry!

I used a sling from this site: http://www.slinglings.com/ with my second son. It was the best thing I had tried. There are so many ways to do it that it worked no matter what my son was doing (sitting up, sleeping, on my hip, on my back, right in front, anything!). It was great. The lady that owns the place is really great. You get a sling that is custom fitted to you and your body. You get to pick the print as well. It was super comfortable for me and my son. I had a Maya Wrap with my first son, and it realy caused me a lot of issues and was hard for me to do up. So this pocket sling was much easier for me and much more comfortable.

Hope that helps!

for my first we had a cheap evenflo carrier. Even my DH got tired of carrying her bec/ she was heavy and the support was not good. Now w/ my second and tons of research, I debated between the ergo and beco. They are very similar. I know you said not expensive. Quite frankly I don't know if you will be happy w/ something cheap because it won't distribute the weight properly and your shoulders will hurt. You can try it though and take it back if you don't like it.

Between the ergo and beco. The ergo is a little more bulky. However, they both can be used into toddler or I believe it is around 40lbs. So you will get your money back over the years. You can also resell it if you decide you are done with it. Resell is high on them. I couldn't touch one cheap used. So I just bought a new one. I am currently waiting on it. Thanks to previous posters who helped me out. I went to frogmama. Becos run around $139. There are some baby wearing sites and even frogmama that sell used. You can check them out. Either of those brand rests the weight on your hips making it more comfortable to carry. They are back and front carrying. Ergo is also a hip carry. It is recommended not to foward face. However, beco is coming out w/ a carrier that you can do that w/ I think as long as you don't carry baby forward facing for extended periods you would be okay.

well, i caved and bought the ergo from buy buy baby today! it's the "organic" one. it was priced at $119.99. the non-organic one was $104.99. i really wanted the green one though and noticed the box said, "non dvd" and looked like it had been opened. so the manager cut me a deal and gave it to me for $99.99! yahoo! and i don't need the dvd because i have AKADrea's video to help me out :)

love the dis!

OP- i'll let you know about the ergo!

For the mei tai's, which place do ya'll order from? I saw 3 major producers when I did an online search.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter