What attraction was better/worse than you expected?

Leelo

Never grow up. It's a trap!
Hi everyone!
I was just wondering which attractions took you by surprise as being better or worse than you thought.

For me:
Better -I don't like rides where I get wet and therefore wouldn't ride Splash Mountain for years. My husband finally convinced me and I was majorly happy about how much I enjoyed it. I regret not trying sooner.

Worse -Mission Space: Orange. I lose most of my vision and nearly black out every time. I'm kinda young so I was not expecting it at all. I have never had a problem on a ride before. I just focus on a spot straight ahead and try to stay conscious. I'm trying Green next time.

Better than expected- TT. I rode it for the first time last Nov. I thought, "how exciting can it be... just riding around in a car?" I ended up LOVING it. It is now my fav ride at Epcot.

Worse than expected-
(1) Soarin'. I seriously do not understand the fascination with this ride. I got dizzy flying over the mountains and I kept my eyes closed for most of the ride.
(2)- RnRC- I knew that the ride shot you out. I had never been a roller coaster like that. O.M.G. I was not prepared for that. I screamed until I couldn't scream anymore. Then, I thought I was going to puke. I think if we had traveled one more foot at that speed, I would have lost my lunch!

Last edited:
Better - Soarin' absolutely blew me away. I avoided it for years because I'm afraid of heights and have horrible motion sickness. It's usually much worse with motion simulated stuff too. But I didn't have any issues when I rode it and it felt so incredible to be "flying" in a manner I'd never in a million years be able to do in real life. I teared up while riding it and then rode it three more times that trip.

Worse - This ride is no longer around, but Body Wars was awful, awful, AWFUL! This was the ride where I first found out that motion simulated rides could be so much worse than the ones that actually move. I was sick for hours after I rode it. I remember having to find a spot to sit and putting my head between my knees unable to even open my eyes without the room spinning and feeling like I was going to throw up.

Better:
The Enchanted Tiki Room - I thought it would annoy me like It's a Small World, but I find it adorable.
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - I guess I thought it would be a pansy coaster, but I LOVE IT.

Worse:
The "new" Test Track. I only got to ride the old one once, and now I'm always so disappointed. The futuristic-y look is so boring to me.
Not really an attraction, but I was super underwhelmed by Illuminations.

stitch was way better than i expected. granted, the hot dog burp machine must have been off that day because there was no smell.. and knowing the shoulder restraints didn't move after they locked, i propped myself up an extra 3 or 4 inches before they locked so i wasn't getting smushed the whole time... i really think if they nixed the stomach churning burps and dumped the stupid restraints, more people would probably like it.

worse? mission space. i waited all that time and worried about getting motion sick so much... for THAT?!?!? to be trapped in claustrophobiaville next to someone who's coughing like they've got space plague? PASS.

Better- Carousel of Progress. Tried it because its a classic thinking it would bore me but we really enjoyed it.
Worse- Figment. Of all the smells why that one ?!

Better: Splash Mountain. I always loved DL's version, but MK's tells the story so, so much better, with richer theming and a slightly slower ride that helps you take it all in better. Don't even need to talk about the wider logs. IMHO it's MK's masterpiece.

Worse: Mission:Space orange. Looked forward to it. Rode it. Had a claustrophobic freakout during the whole ride. Then felt like I was going to die for the next 90 minutes, with the weirdest, scariest headache--like my brain was stuck to the back of my skull (and probably was)--that I've ever had.

Better - Living With The Land. I wasn't too excited about educational rides, but this one was both fun, relaxing, and I learned a little something too. Now we don't miss it. We also did the Behind the Seeds tour which further enhanced our appreciation of this underrated ride.

Worse - Mine Train. My initial reaction holds true today - cute, but did I really wait that long for THIS?

Better: Splash Mountain. It looked fun from the outside but I was surprised when I rode it for the first time at how long it was. So much more than your normal flume ride.
Carousel of Progress. Low expectations, but I really enjoyed it. It's a great big beautiful tomorrow!

Worse: Big Thunder Mountain: Rode it by myself for the first time many years ago. I was really expecting something amazing here, but it just seemed like a small, bumpy coaster the first time I rode it. I think my expectations were too high. That being said, I have since grown to love it. It helps to have my young girls squealing happily in the seat next to me.

Soarin'. There was so much hype. I had heard rave reviews- so many seemed in awe of it. First time I rode it, it was okay, but it just didn't live up to the hype. It reminded me of a ride I had ridden at Magic World in Pigeon Forge when I was just kid. I was expecting higher tech. I do think Soarin' has grown on me quite a bit. I really enjoy it now.

It really is all about expectations.

Better is Expedition Everest. It was so much more fun than I expected.

Worse is Kali River Rapids. It is like 45 seconds long.

Last edited:
Better-TTA I just love it. It seems like it would be nothing, which it really is i guess, but it's so relaxing and I love being able to people watch up there. It's not just me, my kids have always loved it too.

Worse- Primeval Whirl. I went in expecting bad but hoping I would be wrong. Instead I got worse than the bad I expected!

Better: 7 Dwarves Mine Train. I had read some terrible reviews and I actually enjoy it even though it's short.

Worse: Monsters Inc Laugh Floor. I really wanted to like it but it's just not that funny.

Better - splash mountain, I was very surprised how much I really loved this ride. Wish I would have gone on it sooner.
Honorable mention - dinosaur, I love this ride and would never have thought I would.

Worse- soarin, like others have stated I don't get the hype it was ok but I will not waste a fast pass on it.
Honorable mention - mine train, I was hoping for something faster than what we got.

Better - Winnie the Pooh - my inner child clapped with glee and grinned the entire time!

Worse - Primeval Whirl - I expected it to not be great, but it was so painful! Never again.

Better was Spaceship Earth. A lot of posters on the Disboards were complaining about how it was ruined after the Judy Dench version began, but I just love it. It's a ride I can go on several times each trip and have been known to go on more than once in a day.

Worse was Toy Story Mania. I've ridden it twice and fail to see why getting on it is such a big deal. I really expected to like it. We love the Buzz Lightyear ride in MK. One of my son's favorite movie series is Toy Story; we're crazy about the characters. But it's not that fun or charming to me, and many members of my family feel the same way. It's not worth jumping through hoops or standing in line for hours to us.

Better-Most of the coasters. From RnR to Everest to Mine Train, Disney knows how to do a smooth, fast, ride without making you lose your lunch. They should build more of them.

Worst-Ellen's Energy. Had low expectations going in but I'm never gonna get those 45 minutes back.

Better: Mine train. I wouldn't wait more than 30 min for it for way better than I thought it would be.

Worse: Now, I love me some spaceship earth. Classic ride and I always have at least one go at it, however, the recent update leaves much to be desired. Foxy Cleopatra and the computer room seems like a waste of space. More could've been put in for a better usage of space. And the descent of the ride, while the video screen thing is fun, it's just to distract you that nothing is going on outside of the ride vehicle. Disappointed with that update

Better- Soarin: first time I rode it was the Thanksgiving week (in 2010). I went for the first time in my life in Epcot at 9.30 pm after a long day at the Animal kingdom. Soarin had 90 minutes and I decided to end my day with that. Worst queue in my life....so long....so boring...and I was thinking "ok, all the world told me this is a great ride, but 90 minutes like that....would be not so good". After the pre-show, I sat in the glider....and I started to get really in the experience and...wow....never expected something like that...incredible memory.

Worse- It's tough to be a bug: ok, I have to say I didn't know much about that ride...I knew it was a cinema stile ride with some kind of real effects...but....it was a nightmare to me...I'm really aracnophobic and I didn't know about the big tarantula in the first scene (ok, it's cartoon stile...but to me was really gross and creepy :sad2:) and after...the hanging spiders...I was near to cry :sad: a real live nightmare

Better- Living w/ Land, People Mover, Ellen's energy Adventure, Spaceship Earth, Rock'n Roller Coaster, and Haunted Mansion. I had very high expectations for HM on my first trip, but still was blown away. I had very low expectations for Ellen's but it was better than I expect. Any time you see Trebeck with a moustache it's worth checking out!

Worse- Space Mountain, Mission Space, Nemo, Under the Sea, The Great Movie Ride, Buzz-Lightyear Spin, Kali river rapids, and Dinosaur.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter