What are your Disneyland "traditions"?

Since I've only taken my son on 1 trip so far we haven't established any traditions, but I'm sure pin trading will be his obvious one.

Doing F! dessert this time, hopefully that turns into a tradition as well ;-)

DD and I usually get in an argument and have to spend some alone time from one another. Not our best tradition, but it usually happens.

OMG this is awesome...we have a similar one with our kids that usually happens on day 2.

Some of our traditions are:

Star Tours as the first ride (it is DH's favorite and since he drives us to Disney he gets first pick!)
Big Thunder Mountain at least once in the morning and once at night, every day that we are there (we were totally lost last trip with it being closed)
Lingering on Main Street every night as the park closes, enjoying either a Mickey ice cream or a churro.
Stop by Snow White's Wishing Well for a picture and a wish
Buying a mug before we leave

We always have lunch since we usually arrive around noon. It's always French Market, and we always order Pomme Frit & French Onion soup. Our first ride is almost always Indiana Jones followed by a Mint Julep & The Haunted Mansion. We always get the Space Mountain ride photo. Dinner at Blue Bayou (near the rail) and Carthay Circle (near the pick up area) are always a magical tradition.

GTS

Being local to Disneyland my parents took us as often as they could. Anyway, we would always go on Pirates, Haunted Mansion and a few other attractions that are no longer at Disneyland. As an adult I have to visit those same rides each time I visit because it reminds me of my parents.

Our traditions:

We always start our trip with a lovely 5-day, 10 night cruise through the Jungle. I tried skipping it this last time, and DD started begging/whining! Apparently we can't do her favorite ride first, it must be Jungle Cruise before we can ride Indiana Jones!

Our first afternoon we must have a Dole Whip and visit the birdies.

I get a new bead for my Pandora bracelet.

DD and I get a new pin (that we never trade).

...And like a few others, we usually have a time-out on day 2. :worried: The happiest place on earth seems to give DD the "gimmies" and the gimmies gimmie a bad attitude!

We have a few:

1) always enter through the tunnel on the right.
2) always wait to look at the castle for the first time until we are exactly in the middle of the main street
3) take a picture in Fantasyland at the sword in the stone (we have pics of DH trying to pull it from DL, WDW, and DLP and we continue it now with DS)
4) always wave goodbye to the castle on our way out for the last time each trip

My kids know my "traditions" very well:

1) Eat a waffle cone ice cream
2) Eat a good brownie with coffee

From our recent trip last week, I've since added:

3) Eat a good cinnamon roll at the Pardise Pier Bakery Cafe
4) Get waffle cone ice cream from Clarabell's Hand-Scooped Ice Cream Shop

Very simple food-based traditions, but it's what I splurge on while on vacation! :)

We always leave on a Sunday and come back on a Saturday to (hopefully) take advantage of the less busy weekdays. On that same theme, we always pull the kids out of school and going during a relatively slow time.

We use itinerary software (Ridemax/Touring Plans) the first 1 - 3 days and then wing it the rest of the trip depending on what we really want to repeat or haven't seen yet.

Used to ride BTMRR at least 7 - 8 times each trip so we'll really miss that this upcoming trip. Splash Mountain during the day and at night.

I always bring some sort of Disney themed stuff to have in our room. One year it was princess and fairy pajamas. This year, Carsland themed toothbrushes and body wash.

We always line up early for early entry, even if that means getting up at 5:30am or so.

We do something different that will probably be a “one time” thing. Last year it was Bibbidi Bobbidi.

Stay onsite.

Our girls each get to pick out one souvenir. This year they have Build A Bears, so we’re bringing the bears and their “souvenir” this year will be going to BAB to buy bathing suits and sunglasses for their bears!

Going to a character breakfast our last morning before packing and heading off to the airport.

We always visit Goofy's Kitchen on arrival night and go to Storyteller's for breakfast our last day. First Sunday of our visit I'm meeting all of my friends for a big group breakfast at Surf's Up.

First day in the parks I always make a beeline for Pixie Hollow if they let in already, if not it's straight off to Buzz - which is always the first ride anyway. ;)

First break of the trip is traditionally at Coke Corner for a Cherry Coke. Delicious.

Hubby ALWAYS says, "Let the spending begin!!!"

Carnation Cafe for loaded baked potato soup

People watching on Main Street

Watching the fireworks from lots of different locations

Making a trip to Pooh's Corner (for shortbread cookie) after riding Splash Mt.

Flag Retreat Ceremony

Listening to the Disneyland Band

Hunting for pins we want

Eating an Ice Cream Sundae (Ghirardelli's in DCA) for BREAKFAST!

And TONS of others:rolleyes1!!!

We don't have any for the Boo yet because her first trip is in June, but we ALWAYS share dinner so we can get ice cream, a churro, and a hot chocolate if it's cold or a soda if it's hot afterward! :banana:

The girls and hubby always buy a new Disney park shirt and new ears each trip. We also always get a churro or two.

For the last 35 years we have each gotten an enamel charm for our bracelets on every trip. Until this year, as they've been replaced with Pandora style bracelets. We are all super depressed about that.

Buy a pair of dangly earrings. The jeweller will turn them into a charm for your bracelet!

We go just about every week, but we do still have our traditions.

1) We make a wish somewhere in the park.
2) Coffee at the Market House :(
3) A ride on at least one of the Main Street vehicles.

On the last night we stay to closing and walk down Main Street and do our last shopping/people watching. Always a bittersweet moment. Only been once with DS, but can't wait to establish our own family's traditions with DS and new DD.

We have a couple!

-First ride is always Pirates of the Caribbean
-Churros! As many as possible! :)
-Riding ToT at least once every day
-Eating at Blue Bayou once

I love reading through everyone else's!

We have lots but my favorite is to be the first riders on Peter Pan! My dd yelling, "come on granny" as we power walk down main street. :)

More than traditions are the new memories we make each summer.. Something small that we've never done before from getting Oscar's autograph to eating a pickle in Adventureland. Maybe flavored popcorn this year?? I'm still on the lookout!

Great thread, I love reading all the traditions!

Our family also goes by the "as many churros as the body and wallet will allow" mantra that has been mentioned by many :)
Other food traditions are Mickey waffles.
On our earliest morning we usually go ride, after ride then take a beignet break and watch the River area come to life.
Our boys love Splash and will ride it again and again (rain, cold, late...doesn't matter!). At some point my husband and I will be too wet/cold/tired and go get treats (carmel apples, tiger tail etc) and sit and visit while they ride, get off, nibble said treat and go again!
We also recreate our 3 favorite family memories:
1) My oldest son and I ride Peter Pan together and as we go through the window he says "Mom, we're flying!" as if he's still 2 years old.
2) My youngest son and I ride Dumbo at night and he puts his head on my shoulder and says "Look at all the pretty lights!"
3) We ride Heimlich with both my boys in the front car. Under the watermelon slice they hug each other and turn and look back at me while I take their picture.
Very sappy I know but after 11 years of visits my boys now are the ones "reminding" me "We still need to ride____ together" :love:
At the end of each trip we buy a pin that represents that trip. We usually go for 3+ days, so on the last day we start deciding what the most memorable parts of the trip were and look at pins throughout the day. Our last stop is always buying the pin(s) that we all agree on. Of course that usually means criss crossing the park to go back and get that perfect pin. It's a great way to put off leaving :rotfl:

My Mom and I try and go every year since my dad passed away in 2009, so that is kind of a tradition in itself.

First night we get there, after driving 6 hours, is go straight into Tomorrowland on the Monorail. We always hit Innovations first thing as its a nice way to unwind after the drive.

Our first full day we hit Space mountain first thing since its one of the only thrill rides my mom will ride. (Hope its open when we go in 2 weeks. :( )

We hit Soaring first thing when we go to DCA.

We have breakfast on day at Goofy's Kitchen.

And I always say goodbye to Walt at his apartment as I leave the last night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter