What are you reading now? (Book suggestion thread)

Hope you make a speedy recovery :hug: well maybe not too speedy, as you'll want some time to read! ;)

In readiness for our summer holiday to south of France, I've just finished reading The Cook, The Rat and The Heretic by Hugh Soskin, it nicely complemented Rat Scabies and The Holy Grail by Christopher Dawe - both are humorous tales about their time on a grail searching tour (as in Da Vince Code). Now I'm re-reading Labyrinth by Kate Mosse and hope to re-read Sepulchre and Citadel (also by her) before we go.

Dirty Job by Christopher Moore. It is hysterical. Definitely dark humor, but I kinda have a sick sense of humor, so I am laughing my butt off. Only about a quarter of the way in, and the story is fun so far.

I used to be a big fan of Patricia Cornwell and read all her Kay Scarpetta books so was disappointed when several years ago she said there would be no more

I had two kids and reading took a back shelf so imagine my surprise when I was in the library with my DDs last week only to find out she'd changed her mind several years ago and I have about 8 books to catch up with!!

So this last week I've read Trace and Predator and have the next two on request with the library. Needless to say I'm a very happy bunny!

I've just finished the two Robert Galbraith novels, The Cuckoo's Calling and The Silkworm. Really enjoyed them.

Pam

I used to be a big fan of Patricia Cornwell and read all her Kay Scarpetta books so was disappointed when several years ago she said there would be no more

I had two kids and reading took a back shelf so imagine my surprise when I was in the library with my DDs last week only to find out she'd changed her mind several years ago and I have about 8 books to catch up with!!

So this last week I've read Trace and Predator and have the next two on request with the library. Needless to say I'm a very happy bunny!

I love her books, too. The next one is out in November. If you enjoy her books, you probably also like the Kathy Reichs books. Other authors I can recommend are Linda Fairstein, Lee Childs and Jefferey Deaver.

Corinna

I love her books, too. The next one is out in November. If you enjoy her books, you probably also like the Kathy Reichs books. Other authors I can recommend are Linda Fairstein, Lee Childs and Jefferey Deaver.

Corinna

Thank you so much for that - I'll look into those authors as I always struggle with what to choose next!!

Hi all

My number one book recommendation is The Time Traveller's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger, closely followed by Any Human Heart by William Boyd. When I eventually get back on a transatlantic flight I'll be re-reading one of those to pass the time! Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell is weird but you can't put it down once you get into it.

I read a lot of Carl Hiassen books about ten years ago which I may get back into, especially as they are set in Florida :) Jo Jo Moyes books are all fab too.

I agree that reading Maeve Binchey books is like being wrapped in a warm blanket - I read them in the winter!

Maybe we'll have you back... Fred Stoller.
A very funny true story of a bit part actor in Hollywood.

The Forsyte Saga, by John Galsworthy

I watched the miniseries last year, so I decided to read the book on my wife's recommendation. So far so good.

I thought I would bump this thread as its summer and often a time to look for books to read on holiday.

Im off work sick for a few weeks so doing a lot of reading at the moment both on my kindle and 'real' books.

Im waiting for the 4th book in the Clifton Chronicles series (Jeffrey Archer) to come out in paperback so am reading the first 3 again in preparation

I couldn't wait for the paperback to come out at the end of August so ended up buying this on my kindle and have finished it.
I now need to wait 12months for the 5th one to come out :sad1:

I've just bought The Girl Who Just Appeared by Jonathan Harvey, he's one of the writers on Coronation Street. Heard him being interviewed on Radio 2 by John Bishop which made me want to read this book. Gets great reviews.

I have just finished Summer's Child by Diane Chamberlain. Her books are fantastic. This one is about a newborn baby who is found on a beach in North Carolina and adopted by the family that found her. Its full of twists as to who the babys mother is and I just devoured it. Necessary Lies is another one of hers I would recommend. Its about the eugenics program in the US back in the 1950s where social workers were allowed to send their poor clients who they deemed to be ignorant and incapable of bettering themselves to be sterilised mostly without their knowing consent so they wouldn't be a burden to the country. Fantastic read!!

I have the first book in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon ready to be re-read for the umpteenth time. Its being made into a Starz mini series right now so I want to brush up on it. Its my favourite book EVER and I have read a lot :worship:

I have the first book in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon ready to be re-read for the umpteenth time. Its being made into a Starz mini series right now so I want to brush up on it. Its my favourite book EVER and I have read a lot :worship:

Ooh, my DD bought me that for Christmas, I must get on and read it. :goodvibes

Ware Bears said:
Ooh, my DD bought me that for Christmas, I must get on and read it. :goodvibes

It is fantastic! Please do let me know what you think of it! The world needs more Outlander fans ;)

I've just finished reading Light a Penny Candle by Maeve Binchy.
It's about two girls, one English and one Irish, who meet when the English girl is evacuated during the second world war to stay with the Irish girl and her family and their turbulent lives as they grow up.

Just got this off ebay as I read this it sounds like just my thing. Looking forward to reading it :)

Was wondering, what do you guys think about doing book swaps?
Not thought about the finer details, was just an idea :goodvibes

Ive discovered Kate Morton over the past week as well by raiding someone's book shelf

Ive read The House at Riverton and am half way through The Forgotten Garden

I think a book swap is a fantastic idea. Do many people here still read physical books? I have to admit that I have switched to electronic back in 2009.

Corinna

It is a great idea but I've also switched to e-reading, bought a kindle earlier this year. :)

Must just be me behind the times lol

I can't seem to bring myself away from being able to thumb through a book :)

I have just finished reading 11.22.63 by Stephen King and loved it from start to finish. I would highly recommend it :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter