What are you cutting in your budget to absorb the Payroll Tax increase?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by ekatiel, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilovemk76

ilovemk76 DIS Veteran

Bold - proof? So welfare recipients have less children than the average American woman?:confused3

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mks18412

mks18412 Mouseketeer

4. dmiller64152

dmiller64152 Mouseketeer

I got a 3% raise this year. The social security increase will just about take what's left after income taxes are withheld.

And to anyone who is critical of those who have to cut their budgets ... unless you are supporting a family on $50K a year, you have no right to judge. As someone said earlier, the price of everything, except wages, has gone up.

5. eliza61

eliza61 http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/images

I'm on my cell so I can't link but if you google tanf statistics, it will give you the census data on assistance given to families in need for 2010

6. DawnM

DawnM Dawn

:sad2:

Thank God (whatever God/god you do or don't believe in!) I have a husband who doesn't think like this. In fact, he is the one who pushed ME to stay home. I fully intended on never leaving my job.

7. Muushka

Muushka <font color=red>I usually feel like I just stepped

I think something good is coming out of this raise in tax. Everyone is feeling the effects of raising taxes.

Sorry, I think that is a good thing. If everyone's taxes increase, maybe more thought will be given to spending.

8. DawnM

DawnM Dawn

HUH?

1. Most of us were well aware this was a temporary tax reprieve.

2. I was well aware of my spending before this tax break went away.

3. The theory that taxes should increase to help us learn how to budget is a rather flawed theory IMO.

4. Why the apology if you truly believe higher taxes is a good thing?

9. Muushka

Calm down Dawn! I wasn't talking about our own personal budgets, I was talking about the spending in the US (United States)!

You know, skin in the game, fair share?

10. DawnM

DawnM Dawn

OHHHHH......yeah, I didn't get whose spending you were talking about. Sorry.

I am not sure the Government getting more money will make them more aware of their spending though.

11. Muushka

No worries, my statement needed clarification, thanks :goodvibes.

Hopefully when people hear about the losses that we are taking/took on GM or Solyndra, it will be a wake up call.

12. Green Tea

Green Tea <font color=green>I don't do hatchets<br><font col

I won't know what the difference is until the last day of the month.

13. mistysue

mistysue DIS Veteran

Off topic, but are we taking a loss on GM? I know people have been flipping out about them building Chinese factories (which they will use only for Chinese car sales) but I work in construction and recently have noticed they seem to be building here too. I have a facebook friend who angrily posted an article about them closing a plant- what the article didn't say was that they are relocating a couple towns away to a bigger site.

14. eliza61

No not a loss. so this is my undrstanding from fact check.org

GM got about 50 mill from the government. they found out they did not need that much and so a few million of it was sitting in an escrow account. they gave it back and the GOP got made because they said it wasn't money made from profits. GM countered why keep the full loan they did not need

some politicians are saying it wasn't "meaningful' since it didn't come from earnings. GM countered that it is not more loans to pay off old loans it's just lowering the amount borrowed.

that's my understanding of it

15. superme80

superme80 DIS Veteran

We lost $50 a month. It has cut into my gas and grocery bill. :sick:

16. Marionnette

Marionnette <font color=deeppink>Wishing On A Star<br><font co

The US Treasury owns about 500 Million shares of GM common stock. In order to break even on the bailout, the stock would have to be sold at $53/share. It closed at $46.46 today. It was announced this afternoon that the Treasury will be going forward with a "pre-arranged written trading plan" for their remaining holdings in GM.

Yes, we are taking a loss on the bailout.

17. ilovemk76

ilovemk76 DIS Veteran

TANF is just a small part of PA. I am still waiting for proof.

http://www.nber.org/papers/w6995.pdf?new_window=1

Table 1
    Expenditures in the Six Largest Welfare Programs in the U.S.,
    1994 (millions)
    Total Federal State-Local
    Medicaid $143,593 $82,147 $61,446
    Food Stamps 27,396 25,599 1,797
    SSI 27,310 23,544 3,766
    AFDC 25,920 14,141 11,779
    EITC 16,549 16,549 0
    Section 8 Low-Income Housing 14,576 14,576 0

18. Muushka

No, that is not what I was referring to. Below is not even close

E, I wouldn't even bother to bring up a 50 million dollar loan. Heck, Solyndra got (as a gift from the taxpayers) more than 500 million. Never to be seen again. No, GM got a lot more than that. I would be curious to see that factcheck article. A site I wouldn't trust, personally.

Below is what I'm talking about

My point in bringing up the raise in taxes is so that hopefully people will be more aware of where their tax dollars are being spent or wasted.

A HUGE loss for the taxpayers But today's stock price is really closer to $30 a share, not $46.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&newwi...qf.&bvm=bv.41248874,d.eWU&fp=94e32a4cea89f529

Articles

http://news.investors.com/politics-...taxpayer-loss-rises-as-shares-fall.htm?p=full

And the dailybeast, in case anyone wants to see what they say

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...asury-takes-loss-on-general-motors-stock.html

Right now the exact amount lost is cloudy (to me at least) but it is a huge amount of money, in the billions.

19. DisneyATlast

DisneyATlast Mouseketeer

Do you consider SSI and EITC "welfare programs"?

That's funny on a thread about the social security tax....which comes out of our paychecks...that we work for (aka not welfare).

That source is outdated as well.

20. ilovemk76

ilovemk76 DIS Veteran

I am still waiting for the proof that welfare mothers have less kids than the American woman that was claimed by a poster. She posted TANF and that is not all that is welfare.

Yes EITC is welfare since you are getting money to raise your kids. SSI is also a welfare program. SSDI is the insurance that working people get if they become disabled. SSI and SSDI are two different programs.

21. eliza61

what proof are you waiting for? I told you where i found the information go read. if you google the question you will get 2. I'm assuming htat those folks rounded up as it's pretty weird to say 0.8 of a child. I claimed the number is 1.8 per household.
    I did consider money and food stamps only. I did not considered ssi sorry.

What you want me to go count them personally? where's the proof that it's not that number. Outside of fox news? Ok, is this acceptable?

Myth: Welfare gives mothers an economic incentive to have more children.

Fact: Studies have not found a correlation between size of welfare benefits and families

The average AFDC family is virtually the same size as the average American family. Of all welfare families, 73.9 percent have two children or less. (3) Of all American families with children, this figure is 79.1 percent. (4) (Families without children are not qualified for welfare, even though they may need it, so there are conceptual problems with adding childless families to either side of this comparison

This on is from the usda.

Food stamp households have little income. Only
    9 percent are above the poverty line, while 40
    percent have incomes at or below half the
    poverty line. The typical food stamp household
    had gross income of $558 per month and
    received a monthly food stamp benefit of $169.
    Food stamp households possess few resources.
    The average food stamp household possesses
    only about $92 in countable resources (including
    vehicles, checking and savings accounts, and
    other savings).
    Most food stamp households are small. The
    average food stamp household size was 2.4, but
    varied considerably by household composition.
    Households with children were relatively large,
    averaging 3.4 members. Households with elderly
    members tended to be smaller, with an average
    size of 1.3 people.

Natural assumption is that one of the 3.4 members is not a child so that brings the number of children down to 2.4

I did forget to include SSI though. I'll go play and see what the family size is for that but some thing tells me you be bitterly disappointed that you won't be able to hold onto the ghetto queen myth there either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.