What are the chances for an upgrade when arriving to port?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by knan74, Apr 26, 2013.

1. knan74

knan74 Kristin

We are doing a BTB on the Dream on August 11th and August 15th.

For the first four nights we are 7A- guaranteed Navigator's Verandah. The second half on the 3 night cruise we are Concierge 00V (the Verandah stateroom)

If we arrive in port early and get to the desk, how likely is it for us to get an upgrade (obviously we probably wont be able to upgrade very high for the first half..but what's usually the highest and how much have people paid for them?)

Since we are doing the B2B, I'm guessing we will be the first to be able to ask for an upgrade on the 2nd half?? There are still EVERY type of concierge room still available...what are our chances of upgrading to any?

Can anyone share any stories that are similar to ANY aspects of our plan? If we don't upgrade, we will be perfectly happy. It's two adults, honeymooning so obviously we don't need the large space...we just want to have a once in a life time opportunity.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. ThePicketts

ThePicketts Mouseketeer

It always depends. If you want to upgrade do it ahead of time. So for the ambiguous answer.

4. knan74

knan74 Kristin

Well, I've always been about 50 percent successful at the port....I'm confused...if it's the same as doing at the port to do it beforehand (like you're implying) why would nearly every post on here about upgrading talk about it at the port ? There's got to be an incentive for everyone to rush to the be in the port first...no one would do that if you could make a call and get the exact same chances and/or cheaper upgrades..
    Like I said, we don't feel the need to pay for an upgrade before hand as we are perfectly happy in the family concierge room...but usually a family to one bedroom concierge upgrade at port is about 10 percent of what it would be to buy it from the beginning....

5. JoiseyMom

JoiseyMom <font color=orange>Have you had your SPANX today??

Since you will be the first ones to check in, the chances are very high that you can upgrade, if the suites are still available. There is a thread that discusses the amounts others have paid. Good luck.

6. knan74

knan74 Kristin

Thank you so much!! Anyone know where I might find this?? I'm going to go searching the thread now. The worst thing about this is that one of the most awesome things about being Concierge is the early boarding and I'll already have that lol.

So can anyone confirm or explain what the first replier was saying... I didn't think it helped at all to try and upgrade for the low price before going to port... And I'm pretty sure that's not the case....I may be wrong though, I've done a lot of cruisin' and a lot of Disney visits but never cruised with Disney....

7. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

I think they were just saying that if you really want to get the 1 bedroom, to do it now. Prices depend on lots of things (what things I don't know), availability might be zero. If it's something you want, go for it now.

That's how we felt, so when we were booked in something like 4A (is that the highest verandah non-concierge? if not, whatever named level that is is what we were in) and I saw a 00V show up and found out what it was, and it was only $300+ more than what we were already paying, I jumped at it. Maybe it would have been only $200 or something to upgrade at the port, who knows? Maybe it would have been gone. I wanted it, so I grabbed it.

I'm the opposite of you...I didn't want our honeymoon to be a once in a lifetime thing! We love traveling, and we knew we would want to keep on doing fun things. So we got something "sustainable" for the future for our honeymoon (oceanview guarantee on a 7 day Alaska on Radiance of the Seas), so we weren't constantly missing our once in a lifetime honeymoon trip. So obviously if I were in your shoes, I'd stay with 00V, so in the future you can move on up to the fancier rooms. :)

But that's just me, talking.