What are the advantages to booking a vacation package?

disneydka

Disney newbie
We are looking at planning a trip in the Spring next year and wonder if there are advantages to booking a vacation package with Disney or doing a room only reservation and then purchasing tickets separately through UC. Prices are not available yet for the dates I want so I can't really do a price comparison just yet. Also, in anticipation of a potential spring room dicount, are there resorts that tend to be excluded from this discount?

We are looking at planning a trip in the Spring next year and wonder if there are advantages to booking a vacation package with Disney or doing a room only reservation and then purchasing tickets separately through UC. Prices are not available yet for the dates I want so I can't really do a price comparison just yet. Also, in anticipation of a potential spring room dicount, are there resorts that tend to be excluded from this discount?

I like to book the vacation packages just for the convience. I can have the whole thing done in like 5 minutes. That is probably the only real advantage. Not totally sure about exlusions for room only discounts in the spring but it seems like most hotels are usually included.

Also, in anticipation of a potential spring room dicount, are there resorts that tend to be excluded from this discount?

I think POFQ tends to be excluded from room discounts. When I had to change my BC reservation to AKL once the discounts came out, I was looking online while I was on the phone and POFQ wasn't included. I think POR wasn't either.

We also book a package with everything for the convenience. I have read so many people with issues buying tickets separate and then trying to link them to do FP's, and having trouble but that was last year so it may have gotten better. We like having it all booked at once... Resort, tickets, dining plan, park hoppers.

The resorts that are usually excluded from room discount are the Little Mermaid rooms at AoA. All others may be included but some resorts get much lower percentage off like POFQ and All Star Movies would get maybe 15% off, while others get 20-25% off. Also new dvc like Poly dvc, GF villas, BLT most likely won't be included.

We have always booked the package deal. We only use a certified Disney Travel Agent who gets us the best deals on rooms, rates, promotions, and air fare! She knows all the ins and outs of everything you need to know at Disney! We wouldn't do it any other way. And no, I'm not a TA or are we related to our TA:)

Glad to read this post. I am about to book a room only for June 2016 and was wondering if there was an advantage to waiting for the package deals. I have always gone through DVC and just bought my tickets separately so I have never had to book directly through Disney. Looks like convenience is the main reason to book the package deal. I have never had any problems with my DVC and tickets linking to MDE. I guess I will keep my eyes peeled for the room only discounts!!

I always book room only. We have APs so don't need tickets but before we had APs we used UT for tickets, you can save sometimes $20 on each ticket. With UT depending on their specials.
When booking room discount I wait until discounts come out before booking. IMO it doesn't help booking at rack rate before discounts are released because we don't know in advance which resorts or room categories will have discounts.
Pofq, and AoA Mermaid rooms tend to be excluded all the time.

Diningplans you can only book with a package I believe and sometimes they throw in special things as part of a deal (discount). Last year you had a package where the memory maker was included and I noticed this year FD also has either the park hopper or water parks included..

I do RO via Disney and tickets from UT. BUT... I never do a dining plan, which seems to be one of the biggest reasons for booking a package.

In 2014 I bought my park ticket from Disney because at the time there were too many reports of problems linking UT tix, but this year I went back to UT and linked easily and with no problem.

I can testify that I did not get a POFQ discount from Disney this year, and any RO discounts I've heard of for them have been small and few. (regular discounts, not PINS or bounce backs.) I miss AAA!!!

There's a few little "bonuses" that come with a package -- some of the things I recall at various times include DQ admission, free mini-golf, discount on some of the water recreation rentals, discount at Planet Hollywood, arcade card, luggage tags. What's offered varies a bit year-to-year. Whether these add value to the package depends on your interests and plans.

Enjoy your vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter