What activities do you recommend at the Poly ?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by maryj11, Sep 5, 2012.

1. maryj11

maryj11 DIS Veteran

Which activities were fun for your family ? The campfire at the GF , pool party , torch lighting or Ohana scavenger hunt ? Or any others that I might have missed. Which would you suggest for 2 adults and a 10 year old ?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. mouseketeermama

mouseketeermama Mouseketeer

Don't miss the movie on the beach or the campfire. Also Wishes from the beach is a must do!

4. Magic3forme

Magic3forme Grand Slam club members

The torch lighting ceremony was neat to see!

Wishes from the beach is a must do! ( enjoy a dole whip while watching)

a meal at Ohana is a must do too!!

5. My2Angels

My2Angels Mickey Moms Club member

What is the Torch lighting ceremony?

6. Wanna be Ariel

Wanna be Ariel DIS Veteran

Do they do a campfire at the Poly???

7. maryj11

maryj11 DIS Veteran

We have done wishes & electrical parade on the beach but plan to spend our whole first day there and wandered what else to do. We will for sure do the wishes on the beach again that was one of my favorite parts of our stay last year.

8. maryj11

maryj11 DIS Veteran

I think you have to walk to the Grand Floridian's beach for the campfire.

9. maryj11

maryj11 DIS Veteran

Around 6:30 I think they light all the torches at the Poly that light up the walkways. Anyone else have details on this ? We stayed there but didnt see it.

10. PHLtoMCO

PHLtoMCO Disboards helps me cut back on Facebook.

Poly has their own campfire with roasting marshmallows! It's a great pre-move and pre-wishes activity! They have lei making in the lobby as well as hula lessons. Also scavenger hunt, pool activities, Neverland Club (added cost, but they open for a couple hours during the day for you to check it out for free and you can bring the kids!) torch lighting, etc..

Definitely pick up an activity schedule when you get there. Lots going on and it is hands down our favorite Disney resort :goodvibes

11. maryj11

maryj11 DIS Veteran

OK I will get a schedule and I love the Poly also. We were there last September but never done any of the activities except watch the fireworks and electrical parade on the beach at night.

12. PHLtoMCO

We just returned a couple months ago from 10 days at the Poly and we vowed to relax and enjoy more time at the resort which we definitely did!

Your 10 year old also might like the Pirate's Adventure that leaves from the GF. There's an additional cost but they take the "pirate ship" around to various "ports of call" (other resorts) and look for buried treasure. It's a 2 hour adventure and it includes a special bandana, snack, arcade game card and loot bag. There is usually a photo pass photographer on the adventure as well so you will get a photo pass card with the photos taken on the cruise. My DD 8 did it with her Disney Cousin who is 10 and they both loved it and asked to do it the next day :)

13. Magic3forme

There is a ceremony out front where they go through a tradition/ ritual of lighting the torches, then a guy dances/ twirls a fire baton. At the end he eats the fire too.

it doesnt last very long, but I like watching fire batons.

its been a while since we were there, but it was something fun to watch!!

14. maryj11

maryj11 DIS Veteran

Is it out in the front of the Poly where you walk in before checking in ? I plan on seeing this one.

15. maryj11

maryj11 DIS Veteran

That sounds like a lot of fun thanks for the info :thumbsup2

16. Magic3forme

Yes it is outside... right at the main entrance.

Not sure of the time.. we went in Nov.

17. minniebeth

minniebeth <font color=green>I count on y'all to keep me up t

Can someone give more details about the scavenger hunt? We were there last January, but this is new to me. Would love to know more~ Thanks! :)

18. PHLtoMCO

When we were there earlier this summer, the scavenger hunt was only offered 1 or 2 times we were there and we missed it due to ADRs. You can ask for a schedule of activities at the Poly and it'll tell you what time the pool activites are, scavenger hunt, hula lessons, etc... For a week at a time, I believe. I don't have much on the specifics of the scavenger hunt, sorry :(