We've got Deluxe APs but we're out of DVC points! A year of Disneyland trips- updated 6/27!

rentayenta

DIS Veteran
Hi and :welcome: to this mega trip report. Because we have APs, I thought I would follow in the footsteps of some of my friends who have ventured into the continuous trip report. I have really enjoyed theirs. I hope you all enjoy mine.

How did we end up with Deluxe APs (DAPs) and no DVC points? Terrible planning, that’s how! :lmao:

Long story short, after a magical trip this past December with family and dear friends, we thought we should upgrade to APs. Here are a few photos as I did not do a post trip report. It was a truly magical trip celebrating not only family and friends but Chloe’s Sweet 16 and a surprise Disneyland engagement and a VIP tour! I don’t know that it gets any better.

Happy to have APs:

Our crew! We are a wacky high energy bunch with a great love for each other.

Cocktail time at Club 33:

Cute kids:

The whole crew:

Chloe's Sweet 16 kiss:

Chloe's birthday wish was to meet Peter Pan:

My kids. Gabby (18), Chloe (16), and Joshua (13):

A little last morning fun with Dale and Koda (look into the glass):

Poolside at the GCV:

Some of you may recognize this lovely lady. The kids with Alison:

On the last evening of our December trip we upgraded to APs. It wasn’t a difficult decision and we even got a small DVC discount per pass. When I went to book a villa at the GCV for July 2015, I was told I was borrowed out but my 2016 points will be available for use December 1. 2015. This leaves us with 3 trips planned OFFSITE! :faint: I did have enough to book one night at the GCV for our trip in July.

Now please don’t misunderstand, we spent plenty of years offsite but now that’s we’ve been spoiled by the DVC life, I am having to wrap my brain around no Grand Californian until December. Without DVC there is no way we could afford to stay there like we do and as often. If you are on the fence about buying DVC: DO IT!!!

We have a few trips planned this year with maybe a last minute weekend or two thrown in after our oldest moves to CA this August. That’s another story for another time. I could cry just thinking about it. Happy bittersweet tears but tears nonetheless.

Disneyland trips for 2015:

Spring Break. This trip is on the back end of going to Vegas for my son’s soccer tournament. How could we not go? Vegas is only 4.5 hours away from Disneyland. Right?! :woohoo:

End of April/Early May. This is a girls' trip with a few of my wonderful friends that I met right here! It'll be Cynthia, me, and Jill, and of course the birthday girl, Alison.

July. This trip will be at the start of my daughters’ annual pilgrimage to see *their* boys aka One Direction. Here they are meeting them in 2012. Long story short, DH worked with them on their Gotta Be You video and they’ve been obsessed ever since. The middle girl is one of the girls’ BFFs.

October. UEA (Utah Education Association aka Utahans Escape to Anaheim is mid-October) is mid-October so we’ll journey out for that. This trip was supposed to be followed by a 5 night Disney Cruise on the Wonder but sadly, I had to cancel. Cue violins. It’ll happen….one day. pixiedust: Our good friend Pam will be joining us for a few days on this trip.

December. Our annual and perhaps our most favorite trip each year. Hopefully I’ll be graced with a little Disney magic and be able to score the GCV at 7 months.

So that’s the story. I am really looking forward to our year with APs. I think the last time we had them was 2005/2006. The kids were about 4,6, and 7. I say we’re overdue for APs.

Thank you for joining in on the fun and :welcome:

Last edited:
I'm here I'm here I'm here!!! :hyper: Your line up of trips looks fabulous!!! You have one in 12 days!!!!! party: party: party:

Love all the pictures of course :)

I'm here I'm here I'm here!!! :hyper: Your line up of trips looks fabulous!!! You have one in 12 days!!!!! party: party: party:

Love all the pictures of course :)

Hi friend and :welcome:

I know, 12 days!!!!!! I am plain old giddy with excitement. Hopefully I'll have the itinerary posted today.​

Me too, busy year ahead! So wish I could afford DVC :sad: However I truly love living vicariously through others :love:

:wave: and :welcome: Afford it? Who said anything about affording it? ;) :lmao: Glad you are here!

Following as well and it is great to see you start your December trip report. All of your group photos are very nice.

Even though you are staying off-site for most of your trips, you will be able to go to a lot of trips with your DAP's. It would be nice to stay on-site one day but it is great to be able to go multiple times in one year.

It won't be too long until your upcoming trip to the DLR during Spring Break. It wasn't too long ago when I was at the DLR last week.

I'm following too! I just activated my very first deluxe AP this past weekend! Woohoo! I have also been thinking of starting a year-long AP trip report. I might have to do that this weekend :)
I'm looking forward to reading yours though! What an adorable family you have!
What are your offsite plans? I have stayed twice now at the Tropicana. It's no DVC that's for sure, but clean and super convenient. Have fun!

:flower:
Following as well and it is great to see you start your December trip report. All of your group photos are very nice.

Even though you are staying off-site for most of your trips, you will be able to go to a lot of trips with your DAP's. It would be nice to stay on-site one day but it is great to be able to go multiple times in one year.

It won't be too long until your upcoming trip to the DLR during Spring Break. It wasn't too long ago when I was at the DLR last week.

Hi and :welcome:

I'm excited for the DAPs too and it doesn't look like blockout days will cause too much headache.

Do any of our dates overlap?​

I'm following too! I just activated my very first deluxe AP this past weekend! Woohoo! I have also been thinking of starting a year-long AP trip report. I might have to do that this weekend :)
I'm looking forward to reading yours though! What an adorable family you have!
What are your offsite plans? I have stayed twice now at the Tropicana. It's no DVC that's for sure, but clean and super convenient. Have fun!

:wave::wave2::wave2: and :welcome: isn't it fun having an AP? :woohoo:

Thanks for the sweet compliment. :flower:

I have a friend who loves the Tropicana and says the location is amazing. Right now our offsite plans are pending but I am tossing around the Hilton Anaheim and the Embassy Suites South. Have you stayed at either of those? Offsite we have stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim and the HoJo.​

:flower:

Hi and :welcome:

I'm excited for the DAPs too and it doesn't look like blockout days will cause too much headache.

Do any of our dates overlap?​

That is good news to hear. Since most of the DAP blockout days are on Saturdays and busy holiday week (Christmas break, 4th of July week, etc.).

Right now with your schedule that I have seen and read along with mine on my trip report thread, we don't have any trips that overlap each other. it would be really fun to be able to meet you in person and one of these days that will happen. But as you know that I do last second trips and we might overlap each other. My next upcoming trip is till late May. I might go in July at the last second if a friend of mine wants to go during the busy season. When are you going in July?

That is good news to hear. Since most of the DAP blockout days are on Saturdays and busy holiday week (Christmas break, 4th of July week, etc.).

Right now with your schedule that I have seen and read along with mine on my trip report thread, we don't have any trips that overlap each other. it would be really fun to be able to meet you in person and one of these days that will happen. But as you know that I do last second trips and we might overlap each other. My next upcoming trip is till late May. I might go in July at the last second if a friend of mine wants to go during the busy season. When are you going in July?

The girls' concert is in San Diego July 9 so we'll do the parks July 6-8, maybe the morning of the 9th too. We'll jet down to SD and then back up after the concert. Not sure if we'll do the beach the 10th and 11th or just the 11th. We'll head home the 12th. When in July are you thinking? I used the last of my borrowed points :blush: for a night at the GCV July 8th.

The girls' concert is in San Diego July 9 so we'll do the parks July 6-8, maybe the morning of the 9th too. We'll jet down to SD and then back up after the concert. Not sure if we'll do the beach the 10th and 11th or just the 11th. We'll head home the 12th. When in July are you thinking? I used the last of my borrowed points :blush: for a night at the GCV July 8th.

You are going to be so busy in July. As of now, my friend is thinking late July since I told him to not go during the middle of July which can be busy with DL 60th Anniversary week. When I went last year in late July, the crowd levels were not that bad. So by avoiding 4th of July week and DL 60th Anniversary week (which will be the busiest during the summertime), it would make sense to go in late July. I know that you have stayed at the GCH a lot with your DVC points and it would be a great treat to stay there even it it is only for one night.

As for another potential trip this year that I am thinking about is early December during the Candlelight Processional weekend. I have never been to the DLR during the CP in early December since I try to avoid it with the heavy crowds. But I am now thinking of going that weekend this year. I still have my November trip that I mostly do every year. Now might be the time to see the CP at DL.

I have a friend who loves the Tropicana and says the location is amazing. Right now our offsite plans are pending but I am tossing around the Hilton Anaheim and the Embassy Suites South. Have you stayed at either of those? Offsite we have stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim and the HoJo.

I have not stayed at any of those places. Our first trip with DS7 was a few years ago when he was 5 and we stayed at the Marriott Suites. We liked it, but it's pretty far down Harbor. We drove in each day and that was OK, but inconvenient for afternoon breaks. We stayed at DLH this past November and LOVED it, but that was a special treat for the holidays. I've been curious about HoJo and Hilton Anaheim. I do like a nice room, but I like the short walk even more, so the Tropicana works for that purpose. DS7 is still at that age where he complains about walking too far, so we'll probably hold off on the HoJo for awhile. Have you seen the new Courtyard Marriott they're building right next to Hojo? Looks pretty nice, opening in July: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/snadt-courtyard-anaheim-downtown/
And, yes, I am LOVING the AP. It's so fun when purchasing something and the CM asks if you are an AP and saying, "why yes, as a matter of fact, I am!" This will be a fun year!

Thanks for the heads up! And YAYAYAYAY for the annual pass. That certainly makes trip planning SO much easier! Sounds like you have all kinds of fun things in the works! :jumping1:

Checking in. This looks like a busy year Disney-wise for you. What a shame that you ended up having to cancel the cruise. I am learning the hard way that just because you have DVC points available does not mean you get to stay onsite either. I have a couple of different waitlist for the Grand Californian for September and I am keeping my fingers crossed that something will get confirmed.

Corinna

Checking in!

Wish I was going to the birthday celebrations! But at least I can live vicariously through all the TRs.

I'm here!

YAY for AP's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Super jealous, mine expires in 31 days.

Not that I am counting.

Or sad.

Or supper bummed.

Nope. Not at all!

I am sorry about the borrowing mess, it's such a fine line figuring it out and then things come up and BAM you are out of points! BOO for that. Never enough points. I am all borrowed out too if it makes you feel any better.

Well almost. I have 8 left for 2015 and "could" buy 24. LOL!

YAY for the birthday trip and you have a trip before that, in mere days! So excited to see you, Jill, Alison, Fran, and meet many more cool people like Darcy and naked Jim!

I can't wait.

Wow, everyone, thank you for posting! I will be back to reply but wanted to get my update posted. :goodvibes:

Spring Break Trip- we leave in 9 days! :woohoo: I don’t have the words to explain how badly I need a little trip. Work has been enormously stressful the past 3 months due to being completely understaffed. I am a therapist on a locked adult Behavioral Medicine Unit aka psych floor. I see all diagnoses from Major Depression to Schizophrenia and everything in between. Love the population but this worker bee needs a break.

Our basic itinerary looks like this:

Fri-Sun: Vegas

Sun-Fri: The Disneyland Resort

Fri-Sun: Huntington Beach

Every Spring Break and Thanksgiving my son’s soccer team travels to Vegas to play in a tournament. The tournaments there are stay-n-plays. Basically we have to stay at a hotel designated by the tournament who in turn gives a kick back to the hotel. We end up paying 1/3 more than we would any other time of the year at whatever hotel is chosen. It’s a tough pill to swallow but ya know, anything for the children. The boys have a fabulous time bonding and we’ve got some fun parents so it usually ends up a pretty good time. This year we are staying at the Hampton Inn Summerlin, Nevada: http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/nevada/hampton-inn-las-vegas-summerlin-LASSMHX/index.html It’s no frills with an indoor pool and free breakfast. It works well and we get to avoid The Strip. Don’t get me wrong; I LOVE Vegas just not with a gaggle of kids. We’ll stay there two nights. Gabby will miss the portion of the trip. She works at Starbucks as a barista and recently got promoted. That weekend is her first training shift. She loves working for Starbucks. She is also staying back because it’s her boyfriend’s birthday that Sunday. Ah, young love. Anyway, she’ll fly out Monday to meet us.

As far as dining options, we end up eating lots of Subway with maybe one nicer meal out. We usually end up at Buca di Beppo http://www.bucadibeppo.com/ or The Cheesecake Factory http://www.thecheesecakefactory.com/ . This year I would like to try something different. I have read good things about BJ’s Restaurant and Brewhouse http://www.bjsrestaurants.com Has anyone here been? I called today and they take reservations for 8 or more. Looks like a nice change of pace and not too far from our hotel. I like trying places we can’t eat at in Utah but with a team dinner, that’s difficult sometimes.

We’ll drive out the Friday before Spring Break, stay two nights In Vegas, and head to So Cal that Sunday. The time is dependent on how well the boys play and if the make it to the finals. Most final games start by 2 so we should be on the road to So Cal by 4 at the latest. If they don’t make it to the finals, we’ll haul butt out of Vegas right after their last game and arrive to So Cal by 5:00 . I did receive their schedule just now, literally, and they’ll play Saturday at 9:20 and 1:20 and Sunday at 9:20. If we make it to the finals they’ll play again at 1:20 putting us on the road to So Cal by 3:30 pm. It’s about a 4 ½ hour drive.

Our DAPs are blocked out 3/29 so we won’t do any parks today.. Not even sure what time we’ll arrive so as of now it’ll be a toss between DTD and the beach. I made a reservation for Naples in DTD http://www.patinagroup.com/restaurant.php?restaurants_id=43 and If we end up at the beach, I am guessing we’ll either do Super Mex http://supermex.com/index.php or Taco Surf http://www.tacosurf.com/ . We will have two full beach days later in the week so there isn’t a big hurry to get there but it’s hard for me to stay away when we are oh so close. :cloud9:

I am guessing the boys will make it to the playoffs as we are playing in a lower bracket than usual. In that case ignore the above paragraph as we won’t arrive until after sunset. Because of Disney’s 24* or get charged $10 per person rule, I am going to have to cancel Naples as our PS is for 7 pm. :( Its become our first night tradition. Hmmm…….not sure we’ll want a heavy dinner after 8…...need to think on this a bit. Ideas?

Now for the hotel; the part of the trip I am trying to digest. I know I should be elated we are going to Disneyland and believe me, I am but I am also afraid that everytime I pass the GCH in DCA I am going to long for it. LOL! Dramatic much? :lmao: But really, it’s one of my favorite DVC resorts. It feels like home. We have been blessed to stay many times and know it so well. There are no wild cards. Everything is perfect every time.

Luckily I have access to my friend’s Friend’s and Family rate for the Hilton chain. After searching almost daily for the past few months and making comp sheets and having available inventory change almost weekly, I have decided on (for the first 3 nights) the Embassy Suites South http://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en...bassy-suites-anaheim-south-LAXGDES/index.html

I have booked, canceled, and rebooked too many times to count. :blush: It comes with free hot full breakfast and free nightly *well* drink cocktail reception with small snacks and appetizers. Parking is $13 a night which chaps my hide and internet is free as Hilton members. Our phones all have internet access to so that wasn’t a make or break for me. It’s 1.4 miles away from Disneyland so not walkable aside from the initial walk to the park in the mornings. Their private shuttle is $5 a day. We can drive our car and park for $17. Not sure how we’ll handle that. I find parking structures a pain. Their shuttle runs on the 15 and 45 to the parks and on the 0 and 30 from the parks. It starts running 45 minutes before the park opens and last pick up is an hour after park closing. It also has a microwave and minifridge and it’s a two bedroom sort of. DVC would consider it a one bedroom but because the bedroom is separate from the living area, they call it a two bedroom or suite.

For the last two nights I have the ES South booked as well as the Hilton Anaheim http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/hilton-anaheim-SNAAHHH/index.html

Its .75 from the park so it’s totally walkable. Parking is $16 a night. It has a Starbucks store in it but no free breakfast or cocktail reception. It’s $5 less per night. It doesn’t have a microwave or minifridge either but does proximity win out? HELP ME!!!!!

I am still torn over where to stay the last two Disney nights. Before you choose for me, consider we are moving to the Huntington Beach Waterfront Hilton for the last two nights of the trip http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/ca...each-resort-a-hilton-hotel-HUBWHHF/index.html

Do we really want to change hotels 3 times? Vegas to ES, ES to Hilton, Hilton to HB? The Hilton Anaheim looks nicer than the ES but it doesn’t have near the ammenities.

I am open to any sort of insight into either hotel.

OK I read the first post but I'm too tired to make cute posts. Love your family great plans. Stay at the Embassy Suites the whole time. The Anaheim Hilton is not that great and the Starbucks always has a line from hell. At least at the D23 conventions. I may have more to comment or not. Days are very tedious now. Bathroom breaks take at least an hour, it's very rough finding time to comment. I doubt I can get out to see you folks this spring break with everything going on. I'm sad because I was looking forward to a park day with some friends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter