We've been to Japan....Now a TR!

The weather can play a big part in making an impression. Personally, on our first trip, even with the pouring rain (i.e. soaked from head to toe even with umbrellas and two layers of wet weather jackets) we both loved it. I think the ease of walking onto all of the rides (this was before Toy Story Mania) outweighed the discomfort of being wet.

It's a shame that there wasn't much "atmosphere" in DisneySea. If the rain is light, the characters normally still wander around (sometimes with special rain coats).

TDL looks fantastic - shame about the dampness though! And that hotel room... that is trippy!

Day 11. Disneyland. Our last full day in Japan.

This morning we arrived a little late, and were in line by 8.20am for a 9am opening. The lines were loooong!
Seeing we had been on Wednesday, we already knew the lay of the land. Hubby ran for Space fastpasses while we made our way to Poohs Hunny hunt. The Space fastpasses were for a 9.55-10.55 return time.
We were in line for Poohs Hunny hunt at 9.15 am and were on the ride in 20 mins. I had heard great reports about this ride. It was lots of fun and better than the Disneyland version of Poohs ride. (At 10am, the standby line was 65mins)

The queue at Poohs Hunny Hunt

We then headed to Haunted mansion which was basically a walk on. It probably took us maybe 10 mins but this was really walking through the line and waiting to go in.

Then off to Space at 10.10am with our fastpass. We were on by 10.20am.

Disney ducks!!

We then headed to Splash again for our favourite ride.

Another example of matching clothes. His and Hers this time.

I had wondered where we might have lunch today as I really wanted to eat somewhere nice/interesting. We ended up at the Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall. It was probably just before usual lunchtime and we had a wait of about 20 minutes to get our lunch. It's cafeteria style, so you take a tray and pick up what you want. Most of us had roast chicken and veges which was really nice. Hubby had soup and bread which he said was nice.

Some interesting Duffy Lovers

We had a fastpass for Big Thunder for 12.30-1.30 and were worried we wouldn't make it. We did, and we were so happy to be back on Big Thunder seeing it was closed last time we went to Disneyland.

I love these guys. We've had a couple of great interactions over the years.

Love the CM's costumes

Last edited:
The kids had a go at the Shooting Gallery and then we headed back to the hotel for a rest.

I think he's a Disney fan!

On the way back, we checked out Bon Voyage

At about 5pm we headed back to the park. We checked out a few of the shops etc on our way through.

Gorgeous Easter shop windows

And a couple of castle pics...

And Dumbo

We headed back to one of our favourites...Splash. As there was quite a long wait, and we don't like waiting, we did single rider. My youngest son wasn't too pleased, but it was either that or no Splash at all. 2 of us were on one log, one was a few logs back, and then hubby at the very back. I was in with 3 Japanese schoolgirls. They were very funny and cute. The one I sat next to said Hi and said I was cute. Awww shucks (well I think that's what she said anyway! LOL). They kept trying to cover their fringes each time we had even a little splash. Don't want to spoil those hairstyles! Some way through, the ride stopped. It's probably the longest I've ever been stuck on a ride. It was probably only 5 mins or so, but I was worried about my youngest son a few logs back. Luckily we were all backed up and he could see us. Of course it had to be the ride where we were split up. Anyway, we got off and waited for hubby. Apparently they were right up the top of the big drop when it stopped! Glad it was him and not me.

After this we went to Toon Town. We have lots of great memories of Toon Town from our first Disneyland visit. The boys had fun playing with all of the sets. Lifting weights, getting stuck in jail, opening the door of the fireworks factory. The kids and I did Gadgets Go Coaster and then we all did Roger Rabbit. I think all of Toon Town is basically the same as Disneyland.

We headed to Space and used fastpasses we had got earlier. 10 mins to get on.
Again, a choice for dinner. We chose Tomorrowland Terrace. It was about 7.30 by this time and was really empty. We had burgers and chips. The packaging etc was so cute.

[/URL

We had done most of what we had wanted, and some a few times so were filling in time here for our last couple of hours at Disney. We went to Big Thunder as my app told me the wait was only 15mins. Boy was it wrong! We had to make our way there just as the parade had gone past, and guess where everyone headed after the parade. Just bad luck on our timing and location. I think most of the people had watched the parade and were then using their fastpasses. It felt like they were letting in about 100 fastpasses to 10 standby. We debated leaving the line, but it was one of those times. Do you give up and leave, and curse that you just wasted that time, or give in and wait? We waited and were very well rewarded. Just as we were taking off, the fireworks started! Oh my, it was magical. We'd go through a tunnel and come out to see the fireworks. It was the most magical way to end our trip to Tokyo Disney. We all felt the magic and were on a high getting off the ride. So glad we stuck it out.

A few photos of the parade from earlier in the day.

Very cute Easter eggs

I had wanted to see 'Once Upon a Time' the castle nighttime show. We had a few minutes before it started so we decided to get the one food item we'd wanted since arriving, and that was the Little Green Men mochi. We had asked earlier where to find them, but the CM had no idea what we were asking. When language doesn't help, turn to Mr Google. Don't know why we hadn't thought of that earlier. The Little Green Men were very cute, and we had to buy the Little Green Men holder too, but for me, they're just not my type of sweet.

We sat down and waited for the castle show. It.Was.Amazing!! It felt like the first time I stood in front of the castle at Disneyland watching the fireworks with my kids. The tears were nearly flowing. It is the most beautiful show I think I've ever seen. Projections on the castle, Disney music, lasers and sparkles, and of course ending in fireworks.

The photos are awful, but it gives an idea.

What a great way to end our time. We headed out the gates for the last time.

Last edited:
Day 12. Going home

The next day, we got picked up from the Hilton at about 9am by the limo bus. We stopped by a couple of nearby hotels to pick up passengers, and we were on our way.
We arrived just in time to grab some lunch and a few snacks for the plane, head to the departure lounge, and we were called to board. No time to waste!

We had a great trip overall. It was very tiring with all of the travel on the trains and moving hotels. It was such an experience to go to a country that didn't really speak English completely. The people were generally really friendly and we never felt unsafe.

A couple of notes about Japan that stood out to us...

There are stairs EVERYWHERE! Every train station has lots and lots of stairs. There were often escalators, but usually only going up, not down. There were some lifts we saw, but they were out of the way and difficult to get to with the crowds of people going every which way. By the end of the trip I was willing to walk a mile just to find the lift.

There is hardly any public seating. So many times I would have loved to sit for a rest, or to take in the atmosphere, but there was just no-where to sit.

There's also hardly any rubbish bins. I think I said earlier, people are expected to eat where they purchase (standing up of course because of the lack of seats :)) and leave the rubbish with the vendor. Where there are bins, like in take away food places, you are expected to separate incineratables and non-incineratables, and disposing of the ice from the cups before putting the cups in the bins.

Most shops etc have trays at the register to put the money into, and the shopkeeper will take the money from the tray. But, I almost always handed over my money to their hand, and no one seemed to mind.

People are taking selfies EVERYWHERE! And it's not just teen girls. Everyone takes selfies everywhere, all the time.

At the theme parks, the girls looooved to wear matching clothes. It was so cute. Some were a little way out.

I hope you've enjoyed my report. The photos aren't the greatest as I'm not a photographer and mainly just used my iPhone. At least it gives some idea of the country and the Disney parks for anyone who may be interested in.

We waited and were very well rewarded. Just as we were taking off, the fireworks started! Oh my, it was magical. We'd go through a tunnel and come out to see the fireworks. It was the most magical way to end our trip to Tokyo Disney. We all felt the magic and were on a high getting off the ride.

I'm stealing that idea for my next trip to Tokyo Disneyland - what a magical experience. And a unique way to experience the fireworks!

Agent 86, it was amazing!!
Not sure how you'd go about planning it, but go for it. An unforgettable experience.

Love your TR, we went in 2012 and loved it, but we're heading over again shortly, so it's good to get an updated idea :thumbsup2

Just a question, we didn't have kids when we went over last time, but this time we've got a 3 year old and we're also going with my sister and her 1 year old. Did you see many strollers getting about? I don't actually remember seeing any when we were there, but we're definitely taking them :rotfl:but I'd like to know if we're going to be the odd ones out. I'm ok with taking the strollers up and down stairs - there will be enough of us to carry them easily, but I'd like to know in advance if we're going to be getting odd looks!

We spent a day in Osaka too, we were there during a festival which was awesome to experience, but it meant we missed seeing the actual Osaka. We saw the Castle though and I agree that it's beautiful, but to really enjoy it you need to be interested in Japanese history.

Bec, I really don't recall many strollers. I think there were plenty at Disneyland, but didn't notice any anywhere else. It may be fairly difficult with all of the crowds at train stations, but I don't think you would look out of place. It really would probably just slow you down a bit in the crowds, but from memory, the footpaths were fine.

Awesome Trip report, thanks so much!
Japan has been on our radar for a while now and I loved looking at all your photos. Would you go back again?

Awesome Trip report, thanks so much!
Japan has been on our radar for a while now and I loved looking at all your photos. Would you go back again?
To be honest, I probably wouldn't go back. There's more of Tokyo to see, and we really could do with more of the 'real' Japan and the countryside etc, but I wouldn't rush back.
I'm so glad we did it, but there's so many other places to see, and to return to. I'd go back to the US in a heartbeat. Saying that, I have no want or need to go to Europe, so many would think I'm crazy LOL

Finally got to the end of your report - thanks for sharing and all of your effort :) I could feel the joy of the fireworks on BTM through your post, so glad you had such a magical experience! And I have to agree with you on the people watching - I love checking out the matching outfits, the silly hats, and especially the few people that have dozens of pinned plushies attached to their bags or themselves. That's Disney dedication!

To be honest, I probably wouldn't go back. There's more of Tokyo to see, and we really could do with more of the 'real' Japan and the countryside etc, but I wouldn't rush back.
I'm so glad we did it, but there's so many other places to see, and to return to. I'd go back to the US in a heartbeat. Saying that, I have no want or need to go to Europe, so many would think I'm crazy LOL

Thanks, good to know.I understand. x

Thanks Wendy.
Fi, not sure yet. My eldest might, but I'll have to look into it a bit. I don't think I'll pay extra, as I've already spent a fortune on the entry and express passes! ($684 for the 4 of us). They've got 'Cool Japan' while we're there, which is some different rides/experiences. We might try to head straight to them in the morning, when the lines aren't as long. Then we'll have the express passes for the other major rides later in the day.
As much research as I've done, I've still got so much to do. Hope I don't run out of time!
Hi i hope you dont mind me asking i cant figure how to buy tickets for universal dont know how to private message you we want to get express tickets but it says deliver in japan how we dont arrive until next week.thanks for your help.

Great TR, thanks so much for sharing, looks like Japan is now firmly on our radar!

Hi i hope you dont mind me asking i cant figure how to buy tickets for universal dont know how to private message you we want to get express tickets but it says deliver in japan how we dont arrive until next week.thanks for your help.

There's a great thread on touring Japan on whirlpool forums. Whenever anyone asks for USJ ticket help, they're directed here - http://www.dondelaofertamelleve.com/p/how-to-buy-usj-tickets-online.html?m=1 I've bought them before, so it is possible to do so before you get there, although my experience is a few years old. Hth :)

Day 2 continued.

One thing we realised, especially on this night, was that there are hardly any public rubbish bins. I have heard that people usually eat where they buy and then return the rubbish to the vendor, but it was very strange. We also found that there was a lack of public seating. It would have been lovely to just sit and enjoy some areas, but there just wasn't anywhere to sit.

Love Studio Ghibli shops! We also found the lack of places to sit annoying where-ever we went, especially as could get some great take away bento boxes of food in eg train stations but nowhere "with ambiance" to sit and eat in a park or anything. Looks like the cherry blossoms put on a spectacular show for you though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter