We've a got a problem at FW

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoosll

DIS Veteran
Background: DH and I are on out 2nd trip to FW in 3 months. We have a dachshund who is almost 15 yrs old. He does get some separation anxiety but he usually stops barking after we leave ....

Yesterday we went to MK and came back to a "nuisance dog" note left on our step ... "dog barked all day" ... no signature. DH was really upset as we don't want to ruin anyone else's vacation but ... it's our vacation, too.

What should we do ...
1. Give it up and head on to our next stop after one day.

2. Figure it was his first day and head out to DHS hoping he will do better today if we leave the radio on or something. But come back in a couple of hours.

3. Cut back to just a couple of short park visits and get a babysitter in to stay with the dog ... wouldn't you like to hear that conversation when we call to schedule.

This would be harder if we weren't just here in Dec .... also HOW do you check out early at FW .... there's no front desk!

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/best-friends-pet-care/

Day Care

Pet day care is available to pets looking for the ultimate day-long getaway. Drop off your pet in the morning and pick up your pet later in the afternoon. Pets will enjoy the same luxurious suites and condos as overnight Guests, as well as the same great amenities and services.

For more information, prices or to make an appointment, call (877) 4 WDW-PETS or (877) 493-9738, or visit the Best Friends Pet Care website.

Our problem with that ... we have no car so would have to find a way to get the dog there and back ... dog has never been kenneled in 14+ years ... for the money, dogsitter may make more sense.

1) Taxi
2) Dog will be fine - kennels are safe and set up for this
3) Stranger dogsitter in my RV? Nope, I wouldn't do that.

I wouldn't want to kennel my 15 year old dog who had never been in a kennel before. Dog sitter might be the way to go. You could also try a few hours in a park and a radio.

We are afraid the note-sender will get us evicted under the nuisance dog provisions of FW rules then we lose our payment ...

Basic problem: if we're out of RV we can't hear the problem. At the other loop in Dec he would cry some times but not other times ... no one complained and we didn't complain about other barking dogs or the noisy music from the site next door that bothered us ... to us it is just part of the campground ambience that we all put up with ...

We are afraid the note-sender will get us evicted under the nuisance dog provisions of FW rules then we lose our payment ...

Basic problem: if we're out of RV we can't hear the problem. At the other loop in Dec he would cry some times but not other times ... no one complained and we didn't complain about other barking dogs or the noisy music from the site next door that bothered us ... to us it is just part of the campground ambience that we all put up with ...

I wouldn't kennel an older dog who had never been kenneled either. I think you only have 2 choices--find someone to dog sit, or cut your trip short and move on. While dogs barking may not bother you, it seems to be bothering other people, and they can get you booted from the campground.

Not to mention, if your dog is upset to the point of barking all day, this is not a happy trip for him.

I wouldn't kennel an older dog who had never been kenneled either. I think you only have 2 choices--find someone to dog sit, or cut your trip short and move on. While dogs barking may not bother you, it seems to be bothering other people, and they can get you booted from the campground.

Not to mention, if your dog is upset to the point of barking all day, this is not a happy trip for him.

Agree with this entirely.

The dogs separation issues aren't being resolved if he's barking all day long. I personally wouldn't have a problem putting a dog this age over at Best Friends since they aren't in cages - they have small rooms and most (if not all) have televisions playing.

Hi
I could never board my dog, especially if he has never been in a kennel before. I haven't read too many good things about Disney's kennel, but it's been awhile. Maybe it has improved recently. I would have to get a pet sitter.
Good luck and I hope everything works out ok and you can still have a great trip!!

We talked to the front desk and they said a pet loop is expected to have barking dogs. There has been no formal complaint and they put down that we called to try and resolve any issues, even to moving to a different campsite. The girl couldn't have been nicer.

First, we are going to run the radio for company and noise pollution, perhaps voices or noises outside set him off...

Then, we are going to sit quietly outside for 15-20 minutes to gauge his temperment.

I'm considering leaving our cell phone number with front desk and asking to be called if there is a complaint ... we could be back at campsite in an hour or less (using WDW buses) or a taxi if it is an emergency.

Dachshunds have a sharp bark (so their owners can find them underground during hunting) so I know even at 14+ it can be annoying but I find it hard to believe that he can keep the barking up for 4-6 hours straight.

We lost his brother to a brain tumor about 9 months ago and that's when the separation anxiety began, he had never been alone before. If we are going someplace not dog friendly like a beach house, then we have a dogsitter who comes in and stays with him. He is fine during the day at home while we are out running errands. We really had thought that he was getting better.

We talked to the front desk and they said a pet loop is expected to have barking dogs. There has been no formal complaint and they put down that we called to try and resolve any issues, even to moving to a different campsite. The girl couldn't have been nicer.

First, we are going to run the radio for company and noise pollution, perhaps voices or noises outside set him off...

Then, we are going to sit quietly outside for 15-20 minutes to gauge his temperment.

I'm considering leaving our cell phone number with front desk and asking to be called if there is a complaint ... we could be back at campsite in an hour or less (using WDW buses) or a taxi if it is an emergency.

Dachshunds have a sharp bark (so their owners can find them underground during hunting) so I know even at 14+ it can be annoying but I find it hard to believe that he can keep the barking up for 4-6 hours straight.

We lost his brother to a brain tumor about 9 months ago and that's when the separation anxiety began, he had never been alone before. If we are going someplace not dog friendly like a beach house, then we have a dogsitter who comes in and stays with him. He is fine during the day at home while we are out running errands. We really had thought that he was getting better.

You have went to the front desk and they said that it is not an issue, so I would just leave the radio on and head to the park. I would come back in a few hours to see if he is barking and then decide from there.

I don't understand why you would leave a dog you know has separation anxiety alone for long stretches of time. He is barking because he is a highly unhappy dog, and I doubt turning the radio on will change that.

Honestly? If you care about your dog as much as you say you do you will either find someone to sit with him, or leave. I think it is cruel to leave him alone, knowing he has issues, and just try to drown out his barking.

You have done your due diligence. Don't stress about it, enjoy your trip! If it bothers anyone badly, they will contact the Front Desk who will talk to you and they've said they won't evict you on the first complaint. Seriously doubt the note writer heard him ALL DAY, because who hangs out at DW at their site all day? At least part of it they were at DW!

I don't understand why you would leave a dog you know has separation anxiety alone for long stretches of time. He is barking because he is a highly unhappy dog, and I doubt turning the radio on will change that.

Honestly? If you care about your dog as much as you say you do you will either find someone to sit with him, or leave. I think it is cruel to leave him alone, knowing he has issues, and just try to drown out his barking.

Are the owners never to leave their areas going forward? They were responsible to book in the pet loop and per front desk, barking dogs are to be expected. Granted, dog may not be enjoying itself, like you mentioned, but I don't think it's fair to judge and call it cruel. It hasn't been that long that dog lost his bro - maybe a new playmate should be in store for the future to help with the lonliness? Either way, OP having a dog sitter come over will help you enjoy your time at the parks too.

You have done your due diligence. Don't stress about it, enjoy your trip! If it bothers anyone badly, they will contact the Front Desk who will talk to you and they've said they won't evict you on the first complaint. Seriously doubt the note writer heard him ALL DAY, because who hangs out at DW at their site all day? At least part of it they were at DW!

This but also go with your original thought to get a pet sitter. It will make you feel better and let you enjoy your vacation.

Are the owners never to leave their areas going forward? They were responsible to book in the pet loop and per front desk, barking dogs are to be expected. Granted, dog may not be enjoying itself, like you mentioned, but I don't think it's fair to judge and call it cruel. It hasn't been that long that dog lost his bro - maybe a new playmate should be in store for the future to help with the lonliness? Either way, OP having a dog sitter come over will help you enjoy your time at the parks too.

I do think it is cruel to take a dog that has just lost it's playmate somewhere, and leave it alone. And to continue to do so once it has shown it is unhappy and stressed. A radio will only cover up the noise, and won't do anything to help the dog.

The lady who wrote the anonymous note came over to speak to us. She was really touched by how unhappy the dog sounded and wanted to let us know ... her intent was not to threaten us with a report to Front Desk. There are a number of people in this loop who rent for many weeks at a time so they do spend many days at thier site instead of the parks. She does not have a dog - but don't ask me why she is on a pet loop?!?

We turned on the radio for company and also to mask the sounds of people talking as they walked by the RV; also to block the sounds of other dogs barking in the area, fireworks, etc. which could trigger him to bark, too. We never meant the radio to hide the sounds of our dog barking.

Then we sat outside at the picnic table. Checked in on him periodically. No barking. Then we rode the boat to MK and back, had lunch at Trail's End and came back to the RV - no barking when we came back to the RV, he was in his bed sleeping.

We have been very patient with a dog that has had a rough time since losing his brother. We would not have left him if we didn't think he had improved. He was having a bad day.

Lessons we learned: on the first day in FW, don't leave him too long. Leave him some company in the form of the radio. Stay on his schedule: he eats on demand (food in his dish at all times) but expects treats on a regular schedule.

This is good to know. I also have an RV and a dog and wondered how it worked at the Fort Wilderness campsites without a car. To a previous poster who commented about leaving the dog in a strange place...to my dog, the RV is home just the same as if we were actually at our land based home. She loves to travel and has her spots in the RV just as she has at home. FYI.

Sondra

You should like very responsible dog owners- I'm glad it's working out! I don't think some posters in this thread realize how much of a commitment and how much work it is to take your dog on vacation to keep him close by- but you do it because you love him and don't want him alone at home for too long- even with a babysitter. That is commitment to an animal! Hope you have a great rest of your trip!

Hope your trip continues to improve! Sounds like you have done everything right to me. For the future, what about getting another dog? Is that a possibility? :scratchin Then your sweet dachschund would have have a companion.

Have fun at the Fort! Wish I was there...:drive:

I agree here. We have a dog, who I call "Woofie" across the street. I swear that dog barks for an hour at a time. Just constant barking. He's a big boxer so you can hear him quiet easily. The last time I decided to time his barking. Ten whole minutes when he's first left outside. I only *thought* it was an hour. Once I realized it was *my* perception, it helped me quite a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!