Wetsuits/Lifevests at Discovery Cove

jenhelgren

DIS Veteran
We are planning a trip to Discovery Cove this fall and I was wondering how the wetsuit/lifevests work. We will not be participating in the Dolphin swim-just enjoying the park for the day. Are the vests/suits mandatory for the lazy river and snorkeling? Are there different types of suites to choose from? Thanks!

We ARE doing the dolphin swim (August) and I'm trying to decide which one I want to wear. Am I going to be too hot in a wetsuit? Does the vest ride up around the neck much (cause I hate that)? Decisions, decisions.

Which areas in DC require a suit/vest to be worn?

not sure if they are mandatory but absolutely everyone had one on when we were there in May. You can start off in a wet suit and change to a vest later in the day. We started with vests except my son wanted a cool surfer suit so he went with the wet suit. Loved how he looked in them. Can't wait to go back

So are the choices and full wetsuit, a short wetsuit, or a life vest? Will I really need the wetsuit if not entering the dolphin water?

We were there in July and I didn't see any full wetsuits, but maybe it was because it was too hot outside. You either have your choice of a vest or a short wetsuit, but you have to wear it anytime you are in the water except for the swim lagoon (not sure what it's called-the little pool connected to the lazy river). We all chose the vests, but make sure that you take one that is kind of small or it will ride up on you all day and bother you under the arms and neck. They tell you to choose one size down so that the vest fits properly in the water.

We wore vests because they are easy on easy off, so if you went to get lunch or wanted to lay in the sun they just unzip and are off. We were comfortable without any riding up or discomfort. I haven't ever seen a full suit.

Yes, you must wear either the yellow vest or the short wetsuit. If you don't have much body fat and plan on snorkeling the reef and/or doing the dolphin interaction you may want to consider the wetsuit option. Both options are comfortable, make you more visible to the lifeguards, help you float, and keep you warmer in the cold water.

We were there in May and everyone we saw had on either the wetsuit or vest throughout the day. You can always exchange your wetsuit for a vest after the dolphin swim. The wetsuits aren't the most comfortable thing to wear, so I'd recommend getting the vest after you're done with the dolphin swim.

We were just at DC on Friday. We all wore vets all day. DH and DD both wore surf style shirts under theirs because the vest rubbed their arms but I was fine all day without. The reef is cold but you get over it pretty quickly.

Okay so from what I'm reading here we MUST wear wetsuits for our dolphin swim and then can change into vests. Correct?

wetsuits are not mandatory for the dolphin swim. It's warmer but not mandartory. We all wore vests, my son wore a wet suit(he thought he was a surfer dude lol)

DeeCee735 said:
Okay so from what I'm reading here we MUST wear wetsuits for our dolphin swim and then can change into vests. Correct?

It's your choice. Vest or short wetsuit.

Thanks for the info. Me and wetsuits.....no good! Glad to hear I can wear a vest instead :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter