Westjet just lost me :(

bfamily5

DIS Veteran
I love Westjet - especially compared to Air Canada! I have been watching airfares for my post cruise flight MIA to YQM. Of course Westjet had the best price. So I go to pull the trigger and lo and behold, the rates were quoted in USD! I was shocked! I am canadian, checking fares from canada on a canadian carrier. Anyway, I booked same fare on Air Canada in CDN. Flights times were a little less desirable, but I can handle it for the $$ I saved on exchange - in my own country. Yeesh! Beware fellow travellers!

That's weird... when I price out flights on WestJet the price is always listed with a CAD next to it. There's an option at the bottom (where the Total Price is listed) that allows you to change currencies, perhaps your settings got changed somehow?

I use travel sites like expedia.... they should be comparing prices with the same currency.

That's strange! We almost always fly Westjet and I've never seen the pricing in USD.

Yeah I noticed that when we were looking to book our return flight from LAX to YVR for this coming October. USD on Westjet, so ridiculous!! We ended up booking with Alaska Airlines in the end anyway - yes, USD but even with exchange it was WAY cheaper than any other carrier, incl both WJ and AC.

I found that too with Westjet - was pricing out my flights to and from Fl separately and thought the return price was awesome until I realized it was in US$. It seems that if you are searching with a US departure, then they quote in US$. I ended up booking with Delta - way better flight times, routing and cheaper.

I love Westjet - especially compared to Air Canada! I have been watching airfares for my post cruise flight MIA to YQM. Of course Westjet had the best price. So I go to pull the trigger and lo and behold, the rates were quoted in USD! I was shocked! I am canadian, checking fares from canada on a canadian carrier. Anyway, I booked same fare on Air Canada in CDN. Flights times were a little less desirable, but I can handle it for the $$ I saved on exchange - in my own country. Yeesh! Beware fellow travellers!
Hi bfamily5! The same thing happened to me! I purchased our departure tickets on a sale and kept looking for better return tickets. When I went to purchase them, I ended up having to pay in US dollars as my city of origin (departure) was a US city! ended up costing more than I wanted to pay.... actually our flights this year ended up costing around $1900 for 2 flights, the worst pricing I've ever paid.... although I did pay a slightly higher rate for a exit row seat, as well as on our return home flights, I paid about $100 extra each for PLUS seating....still the prices where very bad and schedules in October even worse! We have a 3 hour layover in Toronto on our way out (Edmonton to Orlando) and a 7 hour layover in Toronto on our way home (Orlando to Edmonton!) AT least my son is currently in the Airforce in Borden training and he will drive to Toronto airport to visit us and have lunch while we wait on our way home/ making it not a total loss for the day!!! I see you also cruised on the Fantasy last October! We are cruising on the Oct 31-Nov 7 Western Caribbean Fantasy cruise this year. How did you like your October cruise? I am hoping for nice weather!! It's our first cruise so we are excited to try something new! Of course, can't visit Florida without stopping into our favourite mouses' house! We will spend 4 nights at WDW and 3 nights at Universal Studios after our cruise! :)

The price is always in USD when the flight originates in USA.
No idea why, but always has..

Anyone afraid to fly on West jet lately...with all the bomb threats!

Hi bfamily5! The same thing happened to me! I purchased our departure tickets on a sale and kept looking for better return tickets. When I went to purchase them, I ended up having to pay in US dollars as my city of origin (departure) was a US city! ended up costing more than I wanted to pay.... actually our flights this year ended up costing around $1900 for 2 flights, the worst pricing I've ever paid.... although I did pay a slightly higher rate for a exit row seat, as well as on our return home flights, I paid about $100 extra each for PLUS seating....still the prices where very bad and schedules in October even worse! We have a 3 hour layover in Toronto on our way out (Edmonton to Orlando) and a 7 hour layover in Toronto on our way home (Orlando to Edmonton!) AT least my son is currently in the Airforce in Borden training and he will drive to Toronto airport to visit us and have lunch while we wait on our way home/ making it not a total loss for the day!!! I see you also cruised on the Fantasy last October! We are cruising on the Oct 31-Nov 7 Western Caribbean Fantasy cruise this year. How did you like your October cruise? I am hoping for nice weather!! It's our first cruise so we are excited to try something new! Of course, can't visit Florida without stopping into our favourite mouses' house! We will spend 4 nights at WDW and 3 nights at Universal Studios after our cruise! :)
Loved our October cruise! Weather was perfect! Air prices have gotten out of hand!! You will love the cruise! I pretty much forced my family to give it a try and they loved it! Enjoy!

The price is always in USD when the flight originates in USA.
No idea why, but always has..
I called westjet yesterday and that's what they told me. If the flight originates in the U.S the rate is usd. The rep I spoke to was surprised that Air Canada doesn't do the same thing!

I was told by WestJet that it is possible to call in to their reservation centre and purchase your ticket in Canadian dollars for a US origin flight.

However, through the website US origin flights are priced in US dollars. I do wish they made the USD letters REALLY BIG on the website when purchasing; it is easy to miss when you are not expecting it.

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter