Westgate Woes

I just booked a week in November in the Westgate Vacation Villas, and after reading all these posts, I am feeling a little nervous. I chose this property due to it's proximity to Disney (we have a toddler and want to be able to zip back to the room for nap times). We worked with the Westgate rental folks for the last several weeks, and I thought I had asked every conceivable question. We do have 30 days to cancel, and I am thinking of calling and switching to the Lakes or Towers.
Help!
I haven't cancelled our rooms at the Holiday Inn Family Suites. I so want this to be a great experience- it's the first for my son, niece and nephew, and my parents. Any advice is quite welcome!
:confused:

If you are working with the Westgate people, does this mean you are doing the tour deal? If so, you will probably be ok. Since they will be trying to sell you on the place I doubt you'd run into the problems I did.

Yes, we are renting for the first time through the tour deal. We were thinking the same thing- they will be trying to win us over. Is the Lakes really that much better than the Villas? How far are they in minutes instead of miles from Disney? Thanks so much for the info!

Hi Cheeki!

I cannot speak for currently, but when we were there in January, the drive from Westgate Lakes to the Disney property (the Downtown Disney entrance) was about 10 minutes away. It was very easy to get there, too!

Susanne

I have been an owner at Westgate Vacation Villas for 9 years now. I have never traded away to go anywhere else. The resort accommodations have always been good to us. Sometimes the guest services people need lessons in good friendly service, but that can happen almost anywhere. I am not certain how a villa could be considered far from a pool, I think there are over 11 of them on the property. As for RCI people getting the "older rooms," I believe that only owners in the oldest part of the resort are eligible for RCI membership. When I purchased I only had Interval International available as a trading company to join. As for Belle192's friends that were owners, I can only think that they were going at a time other than the time they owned. We always go during our deeded time and always stay in the same villa NO EXCEPTIONS. We have also rented additional time at the resort during other times of the year and at that point we were assigned rooms based on availability. I am sorry to hear that Belle 192 had a tough time we have always enjoyed our vacations immensely.

I don't know about WVV, but at most resorts where floating time is available, an owner who has a floating week within a season is assigned their unit by the front desk staff. Only fixed week owners are assigned a particular unit, the same very time. Perhaps that was the situation with the owners described above. Also, sometimes float season owners are assured (by contract) of certain buildings or a particular phase for their villa assignment. That's why some will pay extra $$$ to "trade in" their unit and buy one in the newest phase as newer sections are built. Just a thought.

We will be staying at WGL for the first time in October, my sister is an owner for a few years now, but they never actually stayed there, theve always gone other places..She has ownership in the villas but they were sold out for the week we wanted now we will be at Westgate Lakes...Anything I should know before going? We will have a toddler with us and my Grandmother who uses a wheelchair to get around, I hope the pools are close by? And I hope they have at least one walk in shower? Where exactly is west Gate Lakes located, Im familiar with the area, but Im not sure where it is,,Is it near International drive? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Cheeki,

i read in one of ur posts that u stayed at one of the westgate resort during ur recent vac at Orlando. I have made resevation at WG for next week(Dec8-14) and have to attend a presentaion(timeshare) to get their discounted rates. Could you pl tell me if you took their tour and how was it.........i mean did you find them very pushy for selling........how was ur experience. Any info would be appreciated .

Thanks,
Ritu

My family and I stayed in the Westgate Town Center last September, and loved it! We traded in our Interval International one bedroom, no kitchen room on Cape Cod for a two bedroom, 2 bath with kitchen. It was very well maintained, and looked almost brand new. We didn't have any problem with the staff, or timeshare presentation. I went by myself, said no, and left with a couple of plates of breakfast. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Westgate Town Center is brand new (or only a few years old anyway) I am referring to the Villas (kinda across the street from TC)

...is MY head spinning!!:tongue: Now I really am unsure about what to do!!?!?!

When you stay at a Westgate property is the timeshare tour mandatory. I own at Vistana and stayed there before I owned, they offer it to you but its not mandatory.

Just Curious

Joanna

It depends on how you booked your stay; if you're an owner using your week, or exchanged in from another timeshare, or booked it like a hotel, your don't have to do a tour unless you want one. If you signed up with the resort for some absurdly low "promotional" rate, or they're giving a bunch of "freebies" like park tickets, etc. AND they told you in advance that there would be a timeshare sales pitch, then yes, you have to go. If they didn't tell you up front, you don't have to go to a meeting; I always ask that specifically when booking, just to avoid any confusion.
Some people do it to get the freebies, but usually you can get a very good rate just by doing a legwork, comparing prices. At slow times of the year, a lot of these sit empty, so any rate they can get is better than nothing.
When we stayed at Westgate last year, they have a "maintenance report" meeting, and it looked like they were trying to start some sales there, but if you walk in and let them know you are not doing a sales pitch, they take any maintenance issues, and let you go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter