Were you or any family

My father served in Korea. 6 of my 7 siblings were Army, including a brother who served in the first Iraq war. I have two uncles who were at Normandy on D-Day (both have since passed away).

Neither DH nor I have served in the military, but we have many relatives who have. Nearly all the men in my family served in the Coast Guard, except my dad and brother who served in the Navy (my family comes from the Outer Banks, so my grandfather, his father, uncles, and brothers largely served at the lifesaving stations there.) My step-dad retired from the Air Force (served in Korea), as did my DHs sister. DHs uncle (father's brother) was captured by Japanese in the Philippines and was part of the march to Bataan.

So I guess we are a bit of an anomaly in our family. Thankfully, we have not lost any family members in the line of duty.

No deaths while serving, but would help later thanks to Agent Orange.

My df was Army
My 2 uncles in Navy

We believe my uncle died from the effects of Agent Orange too, after three tours in Vietnam. The stories he told were horrible.

My other uncle served in the Air Force - he was in Korea.
2 cousins served - Air Force and Marines.

A sincere thank you to everyone who sacrifices for our freedom and safety.

My dad was in the Air Force during WWII, was stationed in England where he met my mom (she was working at the age of 16/17 with war supplies as a lot of women were at that time), my brother was in the Marines. We were dropping him off at Treasure Island to leave for Vietnam when he came running out that they made a mistake and he didn't go. (at that time, they did not send male children if they were the only male child which he was), my nephew was in the first Iraq conflict loading bombs. This, a child who constantly had black eyes from falling all the time when he was little :eek:

My father was in the Air Force for many years and DH was briefly in the Navy. My Dad served in Vietnam and Germany among other places. DH was only in San Diego.

My grandfather was in the Navy, stationed in Hawaii during WWII. My uncle was in the Army and served in Vietnam. Another (great) uncle was killed while serving in the Korean war.

Members in the Military ( anyone die serving ?, Memorial Day Question)

My dad and I both served in the Navy, both my grandfathers split town when they knew they had kids on the way, so I dont know about them. No ladies served, (although my cousin did but not counting that)

My dad was in the Air Force, served in both Korea and Vietnam. He had quite a few medals, but was deeply troubled by his time in combat.
My DH was in the Marines, though he was discharged early due to a physical injury.
My SonIL (DD2) is a Marine, currently stationed in CA.
DH's stepfather was Army---he was a cook. DH was heartbroken when his mom divorced his stepfather---it meant no more decent food (my MIL screws up Kraft mac-n-cheese, if that explains anything.....)
My grandfather on my mother's side was in the Army during WWII. I'm not sure what he did or anything, he never talked about it. My grandfather on my father's side was not eligible for the military, due to a physical condition, but worked at home on the railroads his entire life.

All three of my grandfathers(I'm including step) we in the Army. Two served in Korea and one in Vietnam.

My husband is Army National Guard now but was active for before that. All of his uncles and his father were in one branch or the other, though none saw any combat.

ETA- My husband served in Iraq and Kuwait

Last edited:
Marines:
Husband
FIL
BIL (and reserves for about 20 years)
Two Nephews--Currently.

Air Force:
BIL, Retired recently
BIL, Medical Discharge

Navy:
Uncle

No deaths, thankfully.

I served 20 years in the Air Force. No direct family history of military service but I have a distant relative's wwI footlocker. As I'm the only one for a few generations with military experience, my elderly great aunt specifically left it to me saying I would understand its value. I do.

Late Father and FIL both served. SO PROUD of nephew, Second Lieutenant Army Officer Program!:thumbsup2:hug: THANK YOU to all who have served or serve our country so BRAVELY AND PROUDLY!:cheer2::goodvibes

My brother recently retired as a Colonel from the Army. He didn't see direct action during the Persian Gulf but did a lot of fly overs to make maps. He was a cartographer at the time for the Army Corps of Engineers.
One of my other brothers was in the Marines but was discharged honorably for medical reasons - he shattered his ankle in a motorcycle accident.

I have several cousins that have served including one in Iraq where he was wounded.

My grandfathers were exempt from service in WWII, one was a dock worker so vital to the war effort at home and the other had heart issues. All of their brothers served as well as a female relative or two. My godmother was a WAC. I do know my great uncle Owen, my dad's favorite uncle, landed at Normandy and was wounded and his fiancée was killed during the blitz. My dad said that he was never the same when he came home and spent some time in an "institution". We know now he suffered severely from PTSD. He abhorred any violence at all when he came home.

I have always been proud of my family's service to our country.

Dad. USAF, end of WWII, Korea and Vietnam.

FIL. USAF, Vietnam

BIL, National Guard, Iraq

Nephew, Army, Iraq

Brother and three other nephews, Army. One is out now the other two still there.

My Grandfather was in WWll...fighting Seabee. My Dad was in the Navy in the early 60's...was on his way toward the Cuban missile crisis just as it was ending. He was going to go in to the UDT's(seals) but decided to come home instead. He just missed going to Vietnam. And my husband spent 20 yrs in the Coast Guard. So proud of him. I still can't believe he spent 20 yrs having somebody tell him what to do. He doesn't like it when I do that....go figure :rotfl2:

My grandfather and 3 of his brothers were in WWII, two army and one Marine. My dad, Marine, and two of my mom's brothers, Army, were in Vietnam.

I married my own warrior. He is still alive with and going after 63 months in Combat to include Iraq, Iraq, Iraq, Jordan/Afghanistan and one more coming up before we serve our twenty.

My family has the Army, Air Force, Navy and Marines all covered, with many retiring after 20 to 30 years as well. I lost a brother-in-law, who was in the Marines, about 2 1/2 years ago in Afghanistan. My memorial day is always about him now. It's no happy celebration but a painful reminder of the price he paid.

Yes

Father - Army WWII
Uncle #1 - Navy /Okinawa - wounded
Uncle #2 - Marines / Italy/France/Germany
Cousin - Marines
My DS's father - Vietnam - In country
Nephew #1 - Army / Afghanistan
Nephew #2 - Marines / Iraq

My dad served in the Army in Korea. 3 different uncles, 2 in the Navy, one on the Army.

Oldest nephew attended college on ROTC scholarship- has served almost 3 years but is being downsized out of the Army by the end of the summer. Apparently too many 1st and 2nd Lieutenants right now... Younger nephew in college now on a ROTC scholarship. We'll see how long he serves after he graduates.

My dad had a heart condition that prevented him from serving
My FIL was in The Army, stationed in Korea, but after that conflict
both my grandfathers served, my paternal was in the army, my maternal grandfather was in the Navy.
My great uncle, who I never met, died on the beaches of Normandy. My grandmother always had his photo up in her house with his Purple Heart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter