We're trying Carnival

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by dairyou, Apr 30, 2006.

1. dairyou

dairyou DIS Veteran

After a long discussion with DH we decided to try the Carnival Glory in November. It is almost half the price of DCL. The driving factor was being able to add another 100 points to our DVC. We wanted to cruise, but wanted to add more points, so this was a good compromise.

We've sailed RCCL and didn't like it at all. We'll see about Carnival. I'll report when we get back.

Wish us luck!

Deb

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. pppiglet

pppiglet DIS Cast Member<br><font color=deeppink>Don't like

We just did Carnival in February and loved it. I think you should have a great time!

4. dairyou

dairyou DIS Veteran

Do you have a trip report that I can read? Maybe you can tell me about it. Especially the differences you encountered good or bad with DCL.

That would be great!

TIA!

Deb

5. woody73

woody73 <font color=darkorange>Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen<br><

Deb: Looking forward to hearing from you about Carnival.

Woody

6. awsomedog

awsomedog MY user name is awsometori

i think i already had my carnival

7. awsomedog

darn another thread where no ones here :badpc:

8. awsomedog

anways if anyone needs me i will be on neopets since vmk is not open bye :wave:

9. CPM

CPM <font color=blue>Stands up in the Spider-Man ride

I've sailed CCL several times. The latest was on the Valor, it was a great cruise!! The food was great. People love the Glory, nice size ship. I'd like to try it sometime. I just booked Alaska for June 2007 on the Spirit. Can't wait.
    have a good time and check back.

10. markey

markey DIS Veteran

We have been on DCL 6 times, with another booked in August. We tried RCI last May, beautiful ship but that was all we liked about it. We were on the Carnival Glory in December, we loved it. Beautiful ship, friendly crew, good food, the lunch buffets blow Disney away. Any direct questions please ask. However this trip was solo, no kids, but the kids areas looked great, small amount of kids but the ones we saw looked happy. We booked a guaranteed OV were upgraded to a balcony, have never been upgraded by Disney in 6 cruises, that also gave our hearts to Carnival. Also, this was not a party ship, that was all done on RCI by underage drinkers.

11. EngrDaisy

EngrDaisy <font color=green>Welcomed Guest<br><font color=de

I sailed on the Carnival Inspiration in November of 2004. It is the only cruise I have ever been on. My first Disney cruise leaves on Thursday! Yay!

Anyway, I cannot compare DCL and Carnival as I have not sailed on DCL yet. However, the level of service that we received on Carnival is everything that I would expect from Disney. My mother loved that our room steward would always know if my brothers were in their rooms or not and what time they left their rooms. It was a big family cruise. My parents, me, my husband, and my four little brothers all went. My husband liked the evening shows. My favorite thing was having high tea with my mother.

Just from reading the Disney Cruise website and knowing what I have read on the Carnival website, I think that Carnival offers more shore excursions. I could be wrong about that, but that is my impression.

All in all, I would sail on Carnival again. I cannot think of anything that caused disappointment on the trip. I am sure this weekend we will be even more impressed with our Disney cruise, but I am sure that Carnival will have us back someday due to their incredible deals.

12. NancyIL

NancyIL DIS Veteran

I really enjoy the Cruise Critic discussion boards. Here's the link to the Carnival board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

13. tvguy

tvguy Question anything the facts don't support.

Interesting comparison between RCCL and Carnival, since Carnival bills its line as "The Party Ships", and since on the shorter (3 and 4 day) Carnival cruises there generally are groups that never sleep, and party 24 hours a day for the entire trip.

In 7 cruises ( Paquet, NCL, RCCL, HAL and Disney) the only "disturbance" we have ever had was on Disney, and that was a 5 year old yelling and running in the halls at 6 am on a sea day. And THAT was clearly the parents fault.

14. CPM

No, they bill themselves as "The Fun Ship". I've never witnessed the 24 hour drinking parties on any of my cruises. I'm sure during spring break this may occur and it may occur on any ship.
    Usually people that have never sailed CCL or haven't in many years are the ones that call CCL a party ship. They have come a long way.

15. pppiglet

I never wanted to go on Carnival and if I would have gone by what everyone says about them I would have missed the best cruise! We went on a 7 day (no partying going on) and in Feb. (not lots of kids). Although we loved DCL last year, the food was a bit better on Carnival Pride. Rooms were the same size and service the same. The shows on DCL were better, but we enjoyed the ones on the Pride also.
    I am more afraid to cruise RCCL now, but I can't judge them til I try them. I just feel it's more suited for families with teens and we don't have any. My next cruise (after our DCL next year) will probably be Carnival Spirit.

I didn't make a trip report, but I posted a link to pictures. I'll see if I can repost since my DCL pictures from Mexico are there too.

16. dairyou

dairyou DIS Veteran

ppppiglet..I would love to see your pictures.

You guys made me feel better about our choice. I thought if we didn't like RCCL we wouldn't like Carnival...but it seems that is not the case. We'll give it a try!

Thanks All,

Deb

17. CPM

Debbie,
    If you want some pictures of the Valor, I can send them to you. Let me know.
    I'm sure someone on Cruise Critic will have pix of the Glory if you ask.

18. pppiglet

19. pppiglet

I just realized I never labeled them. The excursions we did were Randi's Happy horses, The Cabo ATV tour, and Expert Hiking in Puerto Vallarta. The resort pictures are the Krystal Hotel. All cruise ship guests are welcome here.

20. dairyou

dairyou DIS Veteran

thanks for the pictures. I'm going to look at them now :teeth:

Deb

21. dairyou

dairyou DIS Veteran

Your pictures are great and it looks like you had a fabulous time!

Thanks for sharing them. It made us feel better about going on Carnival. The last time we cruised with them was 13 years ago so it was nice to get those images out with some new ones :)

Deb