"We're following Dad to work....SURPRISE!!!" Secret's out Trip - May/June 2013

BridgetR3

Dreaming of Home
So the Mission wasn't impossible and DH actually enjoyed our last trip to Disney. He loved it so much that he agreed to go again next summer!!! In fact, not only are we going next summer but we are looking into DVC!!!

Let me introduce the cast -

Myself (Bridget)

36107970011.jpg

Teacher by day, Disney fanatic by night

DH

DSCN7365.jpg

He works REALLY hard to pay for my Disney obsession..... :rotfl2:

Poor thing is in the middle of working LOADS of overtime to finish a job at work and his answer to it all was "Well it will pay for your Disney trip at least." Yes he is well trained!! Just not sure how it is MY Disney trip!?!?!?

DS10

36107970069.jpg

An intelligent nerd by day, Disney lover at night.....he's my serious child which makes this picture extra special. He seems to let go at Disney and not worry so much.

DS6

DSCN8880.jpg

The nut!! My whole photo album is filled with his silliness. He asks every day if we could just go back to Disney. It would be so easy if I could just tell them. They are under the impression that we are saving but that it could be years before we get to go back!! :rotfl:

Well I hope you join us for the ride! I'm sure we will have many pit stops and detours along the way but that's all part of the fun right?!?!

I love those photo's. And it being your disney trip isn't bad, at least he is agreeable to disney. tiny steps. :cool1:

I'm on board!

So now that I've introduced the crew, let's talk about the surprise!!! (I type this as they sit across from me playing with NO clue that I'm hiding stuff from them. I hope we can keep it a surprise!)

I am taking a personal day on the last day of school and we will be leaving after I finish my day on May 30. Since I work in a different district than the one my kids attend they will already be out but I won't. We plan to tell them that we are following Daddy to work. This is a normal activity for us anytime we are out of school since DH works away a lot. However, he NEVER works in Florida so I'm not really sure if they will fall for it or not.

So we will more than likely spend the night along the way somewhere on the 30th and then drive into Disney on the 31st. I am hoping to keep the secret long enough that they find out as we pass under that magical sign!

We will definitely need some pixiedust: to keep it quiet for that long as we already almost blew it Thanksgiving week when DH and I were talking in "code" and one of them thought they understood that we were going on a Disney trip. I fixed that by telling them that we were talking about how much fun we had this past summer!

Next up - where are we staying? Throw out your guesses and your advice because we still have nights available to book.

Life Update

I'm going to be posting life updates in blue (if I can remember) and Disney stuff in purple.

Last night DH came home after being on the road for a while. It's the last crazy push to spend all of the company's surplus budget before the end of the year so they are working him 7 days a week with 12-14 hour days. He is worn out and can't wait to be off. We are just happy to be able to catch a glimpse of his face now each night when he comes home.

He is out working somewhere today in this horrible thunderstorm that we have here making money for MY Disney trip. For that I am thankful!! :goodvibes

When we started planning this trip in early October, I didn't really have the funds to make it the dream vacation we wanted so I decided that I would start trying to sew more and sell items in order to pay for some of our items. While that is no longer the case, I do love sewing and will share my creations here if you don't mind.

Here are some of my latest creations -

DSCN9709.jpg

An apron I made for the teacher "next door" at school

DSCN9716.jpg

I was a little disappointed with these burp rags. They are the three ply cloth diapers and they seem to get "cloth balls" all over them after washing. They definitely don't look new even though they are. I'll have to start sewing my own burp rags to embroider.

DSCN9721.jpg

Love the summer-y feel of this watermelon bib!! It's a good thing I never had a girl or I would have been broke.

DSCN9738.jpg

Lastly a Christmas tea towel I made for myself!

So talented! I love the Christmas tea towel!!!

Okay, my guess is..... Boardwalk Villas, or Inn. Oh, or Beach/Yacht Club.

Good luck keeping it a surprise. We were keeping the date as a surprise for DD, but then she decided she wanted to know. She kept saying she wanted to be surprised because her friends had been, but in the end she enjoyed helping plan.

I would love to surprise her just once. But I don't think I am strong enough. :rolleyes2

Thanks for the compliments!!! I love the tea towel too but it's HUGE (the towel not the tree). I need to find smaller towels. :thumbsup2 It could literally be a table cloth for a small table. :scared:

Thanks for posting your guess!! We'll have to wait and see later if you are right.

I'm terrible at keeping surprises so just the fact that I've made it two months is awesome. I can't wait to see their faces and hope that it all works out as a surprise in the end. Some of our family knows that we are going so I hope none of them blow it. :crazy2:

Well I'm off to town with my sweet hubby who was able to come home early today because of the rain! We are going to the fabric store ....ahhhh heaven!!!!

Then we are going eat Mexican. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

Thanks for the compliments!!! I love the tea towel too but it's HUGE (the towel not the tree). I need to find smaller towels. :thumbsup2 It could literally be a table cloth for a small table. :scared:

Thanks for posting your guess!! We'll have to wait and see later if you are right.

I'm terrible at keeping surprises so just the fact that I've made it two months is awesome. I can't wait to see their faces and hope that it all works out as a surprise in the end. Some of our family knows that we are going so I hope none of them blow it. :crazy2:

Well I'm off to town with my sweet hubby who was able to come home early today because of the rain! We are going to the fabric store ....ahhhh heaven!!!!

Then we are going eat Mexican. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

Mexican huh? I love Mexican food. Years ago we had a little hole in the wall place next town over, but they went back to Mexico after the man of the family died. We haven't had authentic Mexican since. But, I still enjoy the couple of chain restaurants we have locally.

I was just putting my table cloth on my kitchen table, and thinking how I would love a nice one. When you get to applique table cloths let me know. If you sell them next year. Pm me so I can save for one. (thinking disney themed. :)

Maybe because we are further south we have lots of Mexican restaurants. We had a nice dinner and I was able to get some baby flannel fabric at the local fabric store!!

About that table cloth....I would love to do one no charge for you since you have been sweet enough to follow along all these months! How big is your table and what design are you thinking of?

Maybe because we are further south we have lots of Mexican restaurants. We had a nice dinner and I was able to get some baby flannel fabric at the local fabric store!!

About that table cloth....I would love to do one no charge for you since you have been sweet enough to follow along all these months! How big is your table and what design are you thinking of?

I'm going to pm you.

Life Update

I have both kiddos home with me today. DS10 has an infected lymphnode on the side of his face (weird huh?) and it was really painful. At first I was thinking maybe it was an abscessed tooth so I kept him home to take him to the doctor. DS6 cried big crocodile tears not to have to go on the bus by himself and after everything that happened Friday, I couldn't force myself to make him go. So we all went to the doctor and DS10 is now on antibiotics. They are enjoying their free day!

I hope to get some sewing done this afternoon. I would like to sew up a bib or two with the new fabric I got last night. I'll come back to post them if I make any progress.

DH is working closer to home so he is here at night and we were able to bring him lunch today. The boys and I are really enjoying that.

My work Christmas party was today but we missed that with being sick. :sick: My only fear is that I'm going to run out of days before I have to take off for Disney. I'm sure they will still let me take off but without pay which would be o.k. with me.

I'll be back later tonight with a Disney update!

Our resort - BEACH CLUB VILLAS

beach-club-villas-00-full.jpg

Taken from the Disney website

While planning our first trip, I saw this hotel (Beach Club) and really fell in love. Of course with me not working at the time, there was no way I could justify staying there so I put it down as my "Dream Disney Hotel"....you know the one you stay at when you win the lottery?? lol....well we are going to be able to stay there this time but we didn't win the lottery. Hard to do when you don't play.....:rolleyes:

Because we only had so many points to work with, we are only booked to stay here from the Sunday to the Saturday of our trip. I need other accommodations for the first Friday and Saturday nights. I am waiting til later on to see if any discounts come up because honestly we could stay two nights anywhere even if *gasp* it's not on property.

What are your suggestions for our first two nights? I'm thinking it will need to be a value or moderate or not Disney. So....what are your thoughts?

For a short stay at a value, I'd go with Pop Century - the adults might find it fun to reminisce there; for a moderate, how about Port Orleans ? Maybe try a location where you haven't stayed before, just for the new experience . . . ?

For a short stay at a value, I'd go with Pop Century - the adults might find it fun to reminisce there; for a moderate, how about Port Orleans ? Maybe try a location where you haven't stayed before, just for the new experience . . . ?

:welcome: Thanks for joining in!!! It's great to have you along.

Both of these sound like great choices! We have actually never stayed in a value and thought it would be neat to try one out. Pop Century is definitely at the top of my list because of the nostalgia. Our kids have always wanted to stay at All Star Sports because of the HUGE sports gear. I'm also interested in Art Of Animation.

This summer we stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter and really enjoyed it.

I honestly think it will depend on what comes out in the way of discounts. I'm also looking at waiting as late as possible to see if some points come available for fairly cheap to try a different DVC.

We've got plenty of time right?!!? ::yes::

I LOVE to hear you talking "points"! :cool1: The only value mods we've stayed in were ASMusic & ASSports. And moderate we've only stayed at POR. So, I'm probably not much help. We stayed at the AS strictly to save points, so both were w/e nights. I will say for the money I thought it was great. The walk was a bit much, but keep in mind at the time we only stayed at OKW which has park at your villa door parking. So, it may have just felt like a long walk.

Now, since you are asking for opinions...

I don't think I would ever stay off property again and this is why. The last couple times we have stayed in a non Disney hotel we have noticed a difference in a few different areas. Usually it has been a Sheraton, but not always. PLEASE no flames. I love Sheraton, Marriot, and some smaller hotels, but I find certain areas Different than Disney. I prefer Disney style. Here are some of the things we've noticed. I'm not going to list the obvious, such as theming, early entry, free parking/buses etc.

Lighting. This is important to me as visual lighting affects my vertigo. However it is not just me. My older kids have mentioned the lighting in several different hotels make it difficult for them to do school work, or read a book, or put make up on. Oh, well the makeup is my eldest DAUGHTER! haha

noise. I noticed this in the value resort also. Seems outside noise floating in was more obvious, as well as air conditioner, etc. Even some hotels lighting make humming noises.

cleanliness. Not that we have an issue in the rooms for the most part, or in the lobby. However if using lobby rest rooms, or in some cases the hotel restaurant.

friendliness of staff. Although, that can be hit or miss. Just disney seems to out do themselves in that area.

pools - honestly, some have been better than disney. However the amount of towels & chairs available we usually have issues with. Keep in mind however we are traveling as a family of 6. Sometimes it's just impossible to get 6 chairs together.

All that said, I have sincerely enjoyed vacations when not staying at a Disney resort. But, with the value resorts nowadays, I would find it very difficult to justify staying off property. Just my 2 cents.

Another thing you may want to consider is.... Annual Pass. At times you get a great discount on rooms. Also, if you are visiting a Disney park all 9 days and are getting a park hopper, you may find purchasing 1 adult AP won't be that much more than an adult 9 day PH. So, I would suggest figuring the cost difference. Figuring what the AP discount is on the room and other discounts (like restaurants and some shopping), it may be worth it for you to get an AP.

Which brings me to... if you are DVC owners you are eligible for discounts on AP's (among other things). But that is subject to change at any time, so don't buy early or anything for that specific reason.

Now on to your resort :cheer2: Beach Club!!!! I can't wait to hear that TR. That is one of the ones, we can't seem to get a ressie at. argh!

I love that you are surprising the boys with following Daddy to work. I hope you can pull it off. I often forget, but we did pull off a surprise once for the triplets. We were actually IN the airport, walking to our terminal when DS looks up at me, as he is holding my hand & has his backpack on, and asks "are we really going to Disney?" It was so sweet.

Well D since you are hinting around about AP's and all.....I guess I should spill the beans......DH said that we could buy APs fro this trip since we will be going back for CHRISTMAS!!!!! I get to see Disney at Christmas next year!!!! I have no idea when during November or December it will be but what I do know is that I'm going twice in one year!!!!

He didn't drink the kool - aid, he swam in it!!! :hyper: :cool1: I was fine with just one trip this year but then he said, "You know I really want to see Disney at Christmas. I've always said that is when I want to go. Let's go next year."

I am really leaning towards staying on site rather than off property. Anything beyond that is subject to a whole lot of if's and a bit of pixie dust.

Next up - TO Universal or not to Universal? That is the question.....

Just wanted to share a little story of our last day at school yesterday before our Christmas break......I work in a very HIGH poverty at risk school.

In my classroom there is a sweet little boy whose family is struggling financially right now. Today he walked into our room empty handed with sad eyes staring at the floor. While the other children gave me their gifts, he went and dug in his cubby box which is NEVER allowed during the day but for some reason I didn't stop him. I actually caught myself watching him to try to figure out what he was doing since there was no reason he needed anything in there. I watched him grab a couple of things but they were so small that I couldn't see what they were. It took him a little while so by then most of the children had already given their gifts to me and sat down.

He walked over to me with clenched fists and said, "Mrs. XYZ, we couldn't get you anything for Christmas but I did get something for your boys." As he finished, he opened his hands to show me 4 little pencil top erasers (2 in each hand, 1 slightly used). He said, "I know it isn't a nice toy but they can use it at school." With tears in my eyes, I told him how wonderful it was for him to think of my boys and how much I appreciated and loved him. I hugged him a LOT longer than normal as I tried not to cry and then he sat down.

With tears streaming down my face and a lump in my throat, I sit here thinking/hoping/praying that he has a wonderful Christmas. He is such a beautiful little boy with an amazing spirit.

This little boy gets it. It's not about the big toys or the expensive things. It's about love. Gosh it's going to be a long two weeks without my babies!

Well D since you are hinting around about AP's and all.....I guess I should spill the beans......DH said that we could buy APs fro this trip since we will be going back for CHRISTMAS!!!!! I get to see Disney at Christmas next year!!!! I have no idea when during November or December it will be but what I do know is that I'm going twice in one year!!!!

He didn't drink the kool - aid, he swam in it!!! :hyper: :cool1: I was fine with just one trip this year but then he said, "You know I really want to see Disney at Christmas. I've always said that is when I want to go. Let's go next year."

I am really leaning towards staying on site rather than off property. Anything beyond that is subject to a whole lot of if's and a bit of pixie dust.

Next up - TO Universal or not to Universal? That is the question.....

OH MY!!!! YAY!~! I didn't even finish reading the next post! I had to comment.... YAY for going at Christmas season.!!!!! I guess he did swim in it! :rotfl:

Okay, on to your next post.

Just wanted to share a little story of our last day at school yesterday before our Christmas break......I work in a very HIGH poverty at risk school.

In my classroom there is a sweet little boy whose family is struggling financially right now. Today he walked into our room empty handed with sad eyes staring at the floor. While the other children gave me their gifts, he went and dug in his cubby box which is NEVER allowed during the day but for some reason I didn't stop him. I actually caught myself watching him to try to figure out what he was doing since there was no reason he needed anything in there. I watched him grab a couple of things but they were so small that I couldn't see what they were. It took him a little while so by then most of the children had already given their gifts to me and sat down.

He walked over to me with clenched fists and said, "Mrs. XYZ, we couldn't get you anything for Christmas but I did get something for your boys." As he finished, he opened his hands to show me 4 little pencil top erasers (2 in each hand, 1 slightly used). He said, "I know it isn't a nice toy but they can use it at school." With tears in my eyes, I told him how wonderful it was for him to think of my boys and how much I appreciated and loved him. I hugged him a LOT longer than normal as I tried not to cry and then he sat down.

With tears streaming down my face and a lump in my throat, I sit here thinking/hoping/praying that he has a wonderful Christmas. He is such a beautiful little boy with an amazing spirit.

This little boy gets it. It's not about the big toys or the expensive things. It's about love. Gosh it's going to be a long two weeks without my babies!

Geesh, tears rolling down my face. What a touching story. I'm not an educator, but I teach CCD. I always dread the gift giving time, for this exact reason. The one that can't. We were that one on more than one occassion. I always encouraged my kids to make a card. I feel so bad for that child. But you are right, he has the true meaning of Christmas. Prayers Santa shows up in abundance at his home. Doesn't it make you want to bring him to Disney with you? I always tell DH, if I ever hit the lottery big, I swear I would pay for a less fortunate family to go to Disney.... But, I am selfish, I would want it video taped when they first walk under the train station. :thumbsup2

Yes, I would love to take him and his little family with us!!! He actually has a younger sister who has medical issues from a premature birth and they are all being raised by an AWESOME single mom who does an amazing job.

It would be such a blessing to see their faces when they walked onto Main Street.

P.S. he will be receiving a few things from "Santa" this year because I shared this story on my facebook page and a few friends have offered to adopt the family for Christmas. I was so excited!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter