WE'RE CANCELLING CHRISTMAS (Take 2)- Dec. 4 to 8, 2012 TR (Day 5, Part 2 Posted)

Discussion in 'Disneyland Trip Reports' started by pixleyyy, Oct 11, 2012.

1. pixleyyy

pixleyyy DIS Veteran

That's what we went for ... coordinating but not matching. It seemed to appease everybody. We had specific colored days... one was blue, one was red and green, one was black and grey (though apparently DS14 thought this meant navy blue... which I didn't find out until later in the day when he took his hoodie off for family pics). The last day was a "wear whatever you want" day, which ended up with most people in a park shirt of some kind that they'd purchased on the trip. So it worked for us and no one had to wear "matching" clothes.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. pixleyyy

pixleyyy DIS Veteran

We make our way over to Screamin' and see that the posted wait time was 30 minutes, however the fastpass return time was only 35 minutes from that time. Fastpass it is! Carissa was so excited to ride this ride and made sure she grabbed the fastpasses for it.
    [​IMG]

We stored the fastpasses and then walked the boardwalk. We hadn't eaten since our measly Krispy Kreme breakfast at 6am, but we didn't want to eat before Screamin' so we toughed it out. First stop was the Silly Symphony Swings.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I did mention that round-and-round isn't Brian's thing so he sat it out. Apparently it's no longer mine either. I used to love the swings at the state fair each year and this is just like those. Well, lesson learned. No more giant swings for me! I left feeling just a little out of sorts, though I was just fine. We passed up the Jumpin' Jellyfish and the kids went for a quick ride on the Golden Zephyr. Yes, I really did learn my lesson as I didn't go with them on this ride. I just stayed below and took photos, nice and safe on the ground.

Since we were so close we hit the Little Mermaid ride. It was a posted 5 minute wait but it was basically walk on. It was cute I suppose, but not so fabulous that I'd have to do it again. Good story, good music, but then again, I've already seen the move. The good news was that at some point in the ride it stopped, which allowed me to get some pretty decent photos inside the ride. It's hard to get good photos on a dark ride while you're moving and without flash, so I was pleased to have a chance to practice while we were sitting still. LOL
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Anywho, it was FINALLY 12:30 and time to use our fastpasses for Screamin'! We took the fastpass line, which saved us a little bit of time (not a ton, but some). When it was our turn a fabulous green car pulled up and we went to get on... only the seat I was due to sit in was covered in puke. So was the floor of the car. And the ground outside the unloading area. Eeeeeewwwww! Everyone else had already loaded and I had to get a castmember's attention to let them know that there was puke there. The whole time I kept thinking "I hope they don't take off and my kids get covered in that puke during the ride". I forget how careful they are all checking and double-checking belts, so I'm sure they would have caught it, but the thought was not a pleasant one. In the end they took everyone off the car, flipped a track behind them, reversed that car and a nice red one (red is better than green anyhow!) pulled up. Finally, our chariot arrived! And Carissa could FINALLY get her first ever ride on Screamin'! The countdown commenced and we were off like a bullet. This ride just does not disappoint. Each and every time I am laughing and screaming and just loving it! And you get a long of bang for your buck with this ride, as it covers a lot of ground, a lot of different elements and has a decent length to it. Loved it! Here's Carissa's first ride on Screamin'!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

With Screamin' taken care of we could finally sit down and eat. We were all hungry and getting just a little grumpy because of it. Chase had been wanting Corndog Kingdom since he ate there as a little boy. Back then they were footlong corndogs and he was a little 10 year old. The pictures I took of him eating that were never used because they looked almost lewd. This time they were more appropriate, in big thanks to the fact that the corn dogs are much smaller.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Carissa, Tristan and I ate at Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta. We all had pepperoni flatbread pizza and waters to drink. It really wasn't that fabulous and was, of course, expensive. Carissa only commented that her pizza didn't taste good but she'd still eat it... since it had parmesan on it! LOL

We'd now thoroughly covered the boardwalk area of DCA and it was time to move on. We decided to use our Soarin' fastpasses, but you know what happened on the way by Grizzly? I made the kids stop for photos!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    You know what else happened? The same thing that happened last time: some genius says "only a 5 minute wait, why don't we ride". So we did.

Back to the lockers to store our gear than a pretty quick queue and then right on the ride. This time the raft spun even more and better than that... we got totally soaked. Like, all of us got soaked. Wayyyyy worse than the first time. This time I think two waves must have gone down my pants, as Brian commented that I looked like I was wearing a bikini under my clothes, as he could see it all since my 2 layered shirts and the butt of my jeans were both soaked through.
    [​IMG]Brian took a huge wave right over his head that got him so wet that he had wet socks all day long. It was quite unpleasant and as the day progressed he got grouchy because of his wet feet.

We finally made our way over to Soarin', all quite wet and unhappy with our impromptu visit to GRR. Our fastpasses helped bypass the line quite a bit, so we only had about a 10 minute wait. Not too shabby at all. We did end up in the back (bottom, when riding) row, so we had feet in our view. Not my favorite. We'll be riding this several more times this trip, so we'll ask for front row at least once so we can get that wonderful, unobscured view. What a fabulous, fabulous ride. And one of the only rides I can think of that gets applause at the end every single time. We all love, love, loved it!

I know we'd recently had lunch but I thought some down time was in order, so we headed over to Clarabelle's for some ice cream. It was quite a treat this trip to not have to worry so much about money, as we'd saved up quite a bit more than needed. So for once we let the kids go to town and order whatever they wanted. Tristan got the seasonal ice cream, Peppermint Stick, with a chocolate dipped waffle cone with candy cane pieces on it.
    [​IMG]
    Chase got strawberry ice cream in a chocolate dipped waffle cone with sprinkles.
    [​IMG]
    Brian got a double-scoop cookies and cream in a waffle cone
    [​IMG]
    and Carissa got a make-your-own ice cream bar with vanilla ice cream, dipped in milk chocolate and coated with sprinkles and mini chocolate chips.
    [​IMG]
    I decided to forego Clarabelle's in favor of the Mickey head ice cream bar that I'd been eyeing all day long. We all sat down at the fountain outside and just ate our ice cream and listened to the News Boys show going on right next to us. It was a good, relaxing moment for us all.
    [​IMG]
    Up next... a trip down Hollywood Blvd.

4. luulu1999

luulu1999 DIS Veteran

LOVE all the pics!! It is making me soooo excited for our first trip!!...I had already decided those swings are not for me Im not much on spinning around things Im a little nervous about the tea cups :rotfl2:

5. DisneytheKid

DisneytheKid A bad attempt at Billy the Kid

Loving the trip report! Keep it coming!:cool1:

6. PHXscuba

PHXscuba <font color=darkorchid>Mouseketeer since birth!<br

Your ice cream looks awesome. I am a big peppermint fan but I have a feeling it will be long gone when we are there in March.

I don't do circular rides well either, never have. I can maybe do one if I'm careful but no more. I have finally wised up to understand that there are no prizes for toughing it out on rides you hate, or you end up covering a Screamin' car in puke! :crazy2: So I will wave to my kids and take pictures.

My DH hates water rides, so unless the weather is perfect and we are about to go back to the hotel, he won't want to ride GRR. We didn't last time because it was gray and raining on and off.

PHXscuba

7. wiigirl

wiigirl DIS Veteran

Great pics! :)

8. tksbaskets

tksbaskets DIS Veteran

I'm 'in'! Looks like you had a wonderful first day. No Toy Story Mania for your family??

My DH won't ride the water rides so we've never been on GRR. It does look like fun though when we've watched.

Thanks for sharing your trip. :goodvibes

TK

9. pixleyyy

pixleyyy DIS Veteran

We arrived midday and the wait time for TSMM was really long. It averaged 45-60 minutes the entire time we were there. We do end up riding it later in the trip however.

10. pixleyyy

pixleyyy DIS Veteran

Up next was a walk down Hollywood Blvd. and the Monsters Inc ride! I snapped a few park photos on the walk and they give you an idea of weather while we were there... mostly overcast, though low 70's (which is great weather for Oregonians!).
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

While in line for Monsters Inc, Chase spent quite a bit of his time with his nose stuffed in his hidden Mickey's book, looking for all the hidden Mickey's in the queue and on the ride. Another pretty short line meant a quick ride through for us.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

We looked at the time and realized that we had missed the 2:20 showing of Aladdin. Bummer! Instead, it was time for Tower of Terror!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This was another super short line. We walked almost directly into the pre-show room and then had about 5 minutes of waiting before being seated for the ride. I really love this ride! It makes my heart skip a beat every time and I love that you can't tell how high you are or how far you are going to fall! (And unlike the WDW version, I didn't walk away feeling sick for an hour afterwards). Brian said that Carissa was trying to catch things flying out of her purse during the ride! Thankfully all was recovered. We took a moment to add the pics to our photopass card then headed outside.

[​IMG]
    Aladdin was just getting out so I had the kids make a quick decision: Animation or Bugs Land. Drawing or kiddie rides... which do you think won? Drawing, of course! By the time we got there it was about 3:15pm and the next animation academy drawing class was scheduled for 3:30. They were drawing the Cheshire Cat. I gave the kids the option of staying around or moving on, but in the end they decided to stick around. I did a little scream of joy inside when they chose that, as I love the Cheshire Cat and was so glad to get to draw him! He was a tough one to draw, but we all came out with pretty decent drawings of him.
    [​IMG]
    My drawing:
    [​IMG]
    The kids with their drawings (Chase apparently couldn't peel his eyes off the giant screen playing Disney movies on the wall behind me!):
    [​IMG]
    The kids had looked at the list of upcoming drawing characters and something caught their eye... Oswald the Rabbit. He was being drawn at 5:30 and they really wanted to go. I told them we'd try to make it back in time for him, but we weren't going to wait around another hour and a half waiting. Besides, we still hadn't been to Cars Land and were dying to go!

11. canadadisney

canadadisney Mouseketeer

Great report. Thanks for posting!!

12. pixleyyy

pixleyyy DIS Veteran

[​IMG]
    "Cars" is the movie we watched most recently before coming to Disney. In preparation for our trip and the awesomeness that I hoped Carsland would be, I had borrowed a copy of Cars to watch with the family. Let me say that having now been to Carsland, it doesn't let me down. They have captured the unique aspects of each little character and building in Radiator Springs in perfect detail. When you walk down the street in that town it is just an awesome site! Amazing work!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The first ride we came to was Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. Brian and I got in line with the kids but then took the chicken exit further on in the queue, once we realized what the ride entailed... spinning, and lots of it. Brian and I watched from a side rail and took photos of the kids riding. They seemed to like it and it did look like a lot of fun.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We decided to trek on down to Radiator Springs Racers, just so see what the wait time was. It was a full 75 minutes, which I just wasn't thrilled to wait in. Brian suggested going single ride. We asked the attendant, who said the single rider wait was under 10 minutes. Yep, that's the way we're going! Carissa and I were lucky enough to get together in a car. We hit it at just the right time, as dusk was among us and everything was just starting to light up outside in Radiator Springs. The ride was wonderful. Not fabulous, but wonderful. It's similar to Test Track in Epcot, but maybe not as well done, in my opinion. It was good and is definitely something we'll do together as a family at some point.

On the way out of RSR we came upon this site... so beautiful at dusk!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Since we single ridered Radiator Springs Racers, we had a little time to wait until Brian caught up with us. He also had the responsibility for getting the ride photos put on our card, so he had to take some time to do that. While we waited I had the kids take a photo with a photopass photographer near the Stanley statue.
    [​IMG]
    I also took a minute to photograph Radiator Springs in all it's neon-lit glory.
    [​IMG]
    While we were walking the road to RSR I saw the Luigi's Tire shop. In my mind I though "gee, is that really just a tire shop for people to walk through? And so many are going?" When I said something to the kids about it they pointed out to me that it was actually the Luigi's Flying Tires ride queue. Doh! In it we went.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The line was short but slow moving. Brian and Tristan rode together, Carissa and I rode together and Chase rode on his own. Some of us got around ok, some of us not quite so well. By the time the ride was over I was sort of frustrated at my lack of control of the tire and the general lameness of the ride.

When we got off the kids pointed out that we had 10 minutes to get to the Oswald animation class. Eeek! We double-time it through Bugs Land, only to get stopped by the Pixar Play Parade. They made us wait for the parade to pass and then we crossed the street, only to walk down a little farther and cross the street again. It was a hustle but in the end we made it. Our feet were sore (and for Brian, still wet), so we looked forward to a length of time spent off our feet. Our Oswald class was excellent and he was a fun character to draw. I love, love, love the animation classes! So much fun!
    [​IMG]
    It had been a really long day for us so we proposed that we peruse the stores, get our stuff from the locker and then head out to find dinner. We walked to Downtown Disney (despite Carissa's grumpy demeanor... apparently she was tired and hungry - not a good combination for her but one that can hopefully be remedied by dinner and a good nights sleep).
    [​IMG]
    We walked the length of DTD looking for somewhere to eat. The first things that came into my mind when we talked DTD - Rainforest and Earl of Sandwich. Right away Brian said EOS, as I've been dying to eat there again (I LOVE EOS when we're in WDW). I got my Hawaiian BBQ Sandwich and it was so good!
    [​IMG]
    Carissa got a kids cheese sandwich (which wasn't enough for her), Tristan got a pizza sandwich, Chase got a chicken and bacon sandwich (which Brian tried and loved) and Brian got a ham and swiss. We all polished off our entire sandwiches. I'm not sure if they were just that good or whether we were super hungry. Maybe it was both.

After eating we headed back through DTD, stopping at a few stores on the way...

LEGO store:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^ This is one of my faves from the trip!

Quiksilver store. I regret not buying these hats for the boys because they are freaking hilarious!:
    [​IMG]

We spent about half an hour in World of Disney looking at some of the great things they have to buy. We have our eyes on a few things already...

In the end we decided to hold off on purchases for tonight, as we just got a 20% off coupon with one of our meals and we planned on utilizing that for the best deal.

We made our way back to the hotel, got our luggage and room keys, spent some time setting up and organizing things, brushed our teeth, read or relaxed a little and then went to bed. Up next, Disneyland! It doesn't seem real until we step foot in that park. Tomorrow will be here soon, so I better head to bed myself. Can't wait for what tomorrow brings!

13. PHXscuba

PHXscuba <font color=darkorchid>Mouseketeer since birth!<br

Uggh, never thought about the amount of spinning on the Mater ride. I guess I was thinking whip ride. Maybe that will be my one spinny ride for the day.

Cute pictures all around. Glad the single-rider line worked out for RSR. I'm not sure we can do that with DS7 in tow.

Looking forward to the next day's photos!

PHXscuba

14. czmom

czmom DIS Veteran

GREAT pictures and love reading this! We are going next year about the same time, and it seems like you guys did quite a bit so far :)

15. pixleyyy

pixleyyy DIS Veteran

There seemed to be a lot of people, especially on Friday and Saturday (our last two days), but the ride lines were fairly short and we took advantage of fastpass so we could get the most done. We really did hit all the rides we wanted to as many times as we wanted, with the exception of RSR and TSMM (wish they'd add fastpass to this!).

16. pixleyyy

pixleyyy DIS Veteran

It is a whip ride but the cars also go around in circles before whipping to the next one. I think I would have been fine but wanted to hang out with DH so we just watched the kids instead.

17. pixleyyy

pixleyyy DIS Veteran

Coming up (as soon as I finish resizing the photos) is my kids most memorable moment of the trip.

18. tksbaskets

tksbaskets DIS Veteran

Nice update! Now I have to tell myself 'she's a professional' when I see your great photos or I'd not feel worthy :worship:

I especially like the ones on Mater's Junk Yard and Luigi's Tires. I like the CarsLand boarders too. Were those taken by Photopass photographers?

19. pixleyyy

pixleyyy DIS Veteran

Thanks for the kind words about my photography. Even with knowledge of photography, I found it challenging to shoot there. It's so much faster pace and doesn't always lend time for changing settings while things are happening. You'll see in the next set of photos... a wonderful moment but the photos didn't come out perfect. Oh well, it's all about capturing the moments for me.

The ones with the borders are from Photopass. We purchased the photopass plus and liked that we could add the ride photos (though several of our ride photos never made it on the card... I wish I'd asked for a receipt for each one and followed up by looking for them on the photopass website each night... but there really wasn't much time for all that when you're on vacation!).

Beyond that, I actually was pretty disappointed in the number of photopass photographers around and the quality of the photos they took. I wan't looking for "perfect" photos, but as you'll see in upcoming photos, they weren't really great. Even now I'm bummed that we never got Photopass photo with the castle in the background. :(

That being said, without Photopass we would have ended up with only one or two family photos that were taken by strangers I accosted in the park. So I'm glad to have them.

20. pixleyyy

pixleyyy DIS Veteran

That reminded me... one more image from last night. I had a Photopass photographer take a photo of my kiddos with Oswald's in the background. He ended up being a family favorite this trip and we brought a lot of him home... from the drawing to pins, hats and shirts.
    [​IMG]

21. pixleyyy

pixleyyy DIS Veteran

I was already awake this morning when the alarm went off. Today was the day we were finally going to Disneyland! Carissa and I jumped in quick showers, we ate our breakfast of Costco muffins and milk in our room then left at 8am to head to the parks for the 9am park opening.
    [​IMG]
    On our walk over I got a text from good friend Melinda saying "What are you up to?" I texted back that we were walking, on our way to the park. She replied with a "Me too" and not 2 minutes later we saw this...
    [​IMG]
    After over a year of talking and planning, we were actually making this happen - her family and my family in Disneyland together! We knew that with 13 people - her family of 6, both her parents and our family of 5 - there was no way we were going to be able to do everything together, but at the same time we really wanted to enjoy some moments with one another. Well, here we go!

We got through security, lined up together and entered the parks pretty quickly once the gates opened. I grabbed some photos on the way...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    ...and we chatted through our plans for the day - Peter Pan, Dumbo, Matterhorn and fast passes for Space Mountain. We took a spot on the tomorrowland side of the hub to wait for rope drop. We were right up at the rope and both my kids and Melinda's kids were chatting away, excited for their day at Disneyland. My boys and Melinda's boys were all reading the Hidden Mickey book, preparing for the rides we were heading to.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    While we were waiting for rope drop I chatted with all the kids, getting them hyped up, telling them that we should get to Peter Pan fast and see if we could be first on the ride. Well, little did I know how much they would take that to heart. As soon as the rope was dropped all 7 kids took off running towards the castle and into Fantasyland.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I yelled for them not to run but by then they were too far away to notice. They were, of course, the first ones through the castle and the first ones on Peter Pan.

I stepped up my speed so I would be somewhat close to them and not lost in the crowd. I looked back and silently hoped the other adults were walking fast too. I saw Brian who waved me forward, telling me to go with the kids. Well, we didn't want to go without everyone else! Thankfully the kids were walking the winding queue line slowly and we were all able to catch up and ride. Score one for the day.

After Peter Pan we walked over to Dumbo and had a very, very short wait for a ride. Melinda and I rode together, the kids each rode with one of Melinda's kids and Brian took our passes and booked it to Space Mountain to get us fastpasses.
    [​IMG]
    ^ Cell phone photo, but so glad to have it!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since we got on Dumbo so quickly we decided to head to Matterhorn, however we noticed that Mr. Toad's queue was almost empty. The kids went on that while I waited for Brian to join us. After their ride I had 6 of the 7 kids pile on poor Mr. Toad's car for a photo (kid #7 was back on Mr. Toads with one of her grandparents).
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Next stop was the Matterhorn. I was not entirely thrilled with the prospect of riding this, as I'd last ridden it on my girls trip in 2010 and it was jerky with seats that he me slipping and sliding all over in them. Since then the ride has been outfitted with new ride cars, which are much better than the old ones. I actually enjoyed it this time.

We rode the right side of the Matterhorn queue but couldn't remember which side was supposed to be faster. The best way to find out? Ride them both! It was walk-on on both sides of the ride, so it made perfect sense to do it now. It was unanimous that the left side of the Matterhorn has the much, much, much better version of the ride.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Our fastpass time for Space was rapidly approaching so we thought we'd start to make our way over there. On our way we passed Autopia. We knew Autopia was slow-loading so decided to make a stop there. Who knew it would turn into such a fiasco!