"We're basically here for the food..." A September 2016 TR**Updated 4/21/17

VACamm

DIS Veteran
It has been officially 32 days since I have been back from my September 2016 Walt Disney World Vacation, and I've been feeling the pressure (literally lol ) from a few of my fellow Disboarders to start my trip report... you know who you are!!! :rolleyes1 I know, I've been very sloooow :snail: with beginning my TR, and I appreciate the nudge to start writing. So with that, I will begin by saying......... :welcome: and :thanks: for stopping by! :rainbow:

If you would like to read about the planning that went into this trip, the link to my Pre Trip Report is here: Lets Go To Disney Again & Other Annoying Hashtags !

This vacation was a total blast and we literally had so much fun. The weather was fantastic, and we only had to use our ponchos 1 time... on Kali River Rapids! It did rain a little bit every day, but it wasn't anything major so we used our umbrellas or went inside of a coffee shop, ride, or show! :flower1: Well, 1 night it did rain pretty steady for a couple of hours, which in turn forced us to change our plans, but we just used umbrellas. This was pretty major considering that we went during Hurricane Season! We ate way too much food, met a billion characters, took over 200 Photopass pictures, rode basically everything, and even had relaxing pool time almost every single afternoon! :love:

While preparing for this vacation, I was diagnosed with a Gluten Allergy on top of my already existing Dairy Sensitivity. :sad1: Having been to WDW 15 previous times, the AMAZING FOOD in all of the fabulous Disney restaurants literally is one of main draws for our family vacations year after year. WE LOVE THE FOOD and we LOVE DISNEY DESSERTS! Just thinking about not being able to do a Cupcake Crawl around Magic Kingdom was very devastating and depressing to me. :cake: For months prior to our vacation, I scoured the internet for blogs and trip reports with any information about peoples experiences with Disney Dining with a Gluten Allergy. **Just to let you know, my trip report is going to contain a TON of Disney restaurant reviews, information, and suggestions on doing WDW with a GF diet! Trust me when I say it was a FABULOUS experience and I did not suffer for 1 second because I had delicious desserts with every meal!! :cool1:

In case you didn't have time to read my Pre Trip Report, here are the specifics:

Who:

Me... I'm Aimee and this is my husband Kevin! I have been to WDW 16 times, and my husband has been 5 times.

This photo was actually taken 2 weekends ago in Savannah, GA while we were there celebrating our 6 year wedding anniversary. Awwwwww..:love:

1.jpg

My 13 year old son Ethan who is a MAJOR lover of all things Disney. He's in 8th grade and really appreciates the Classic Walt park attractions.

20160908_125649.jpg

And last but not least, my father Rob who is a regular on most of our WDW vacations.

20160903_1803430.jpg

When did we go? September 3 - 10

Where did we stay? Caribbean Beach Resort

Dining Plan? Of COURSE! We always have the Disney Dining Plan... hence the title for this trip report! We LOVE eating at Walt Disney World! We had 10 Disney Dining Reservations for 7 nights... and I ate Gluten Free the entire time! Be prepared... I will be talking a LOT about food in this report.

Tickets and Parks? We had 6 day park hopper passes and visited all 4 major parks and also Disney Springs.

Transportation... we flew American Airlines and were picked up by the Magical Express. :car:

What to expect in this trip report:
1. Lot of photos! :jumping1:
2. Lots of talking about FOOD and Disney restaurants!
3. Our review of Caribbean Beach Resort... *Sneak Preview*... we did not like it. You'll have to keep reading to find out why! :confused3
4. Photos of our Disney merchandise purchases... we LOVE Dis Merch!
5. Tales of our 2nd attempt at Drinking Around The World... did we make it? :drinking1
6. Our temptation to book the Bounce Back for 2017.

Thank you so much for joining me and reading along! I hope that you find our vacation exciting enough to stick around. If you have any questions about our trip, about restaurant choices, about Caribbean Beach Resort, or even if you just want to say HI, please follow along and leave me a comment!

Updated to add: My husband Kevin has decided to join in the fun! He's been silently stalking / reading this trip report and he thinks it would be fun to contribute with his thoughts and also he wants to post a bunch of our pictures. His posts are going to be in BLUE font. This is going to be super fun! :rockband:

Last edited:
Table Of Contents

The Beginning and Introductions

Day 1:
20,632 Steps / 9.65 miles walked
Part 1: Travel Day and Magical Express to CBR
Pet Update: Meet our animals
Part 2: Checking in to CBR and our first Lunch
Part 3: Magic Kingdom and WOW its HOT!
Part 4: Gluten Free Crystal Palace Experience
Part 5: Magic Kingdom Criss Crossing, My Legs Hurt!!
Real Life Update... My husband wants to help!
Part 6: - Kevin's perspective and cool pics!

Day 2:
21,161 Steps / 9.83 miles walked

Part 1: Animal Kingdom Rope Droppin'
Part 2: Yeti's and Safari's
Kevin's perspective of Animal Kingdom
Part 3: Tusker House for breakfast!
Part 4: Festival of the Lion King and Nomad Lounge Cocktails
Part 5: Dinner at Boma, and a soggy night at AK
Kevin's perspective of Boma and AK at night!

Day 3:
20,204 Steps / 9.40 Miles Walked

Part 1: Rope drop at Hollywood Studios, we got this!
Part 2: Tower of Terror... I need a break.

Part 3: Skipping Star Tours and hanging out with Olaf!
Part 4: Launch Bay and Classic Walt - Swooooon!

Part 5: Lunch at Mama Melrose... Mama Mia its Sangria!
Kevin's perspective of HS Ropedrop, RnR, and ToT
Kevin's perspective of Olaf, Minnie, & Mickey!
Part 6: Literally bumping into the cast of Star Wars!
Part 7: More Star Wars People!
Part 8: Pooltime, Epcot, and Fantasmic!
Kevins Hollywood Studios Update
Kevins Star Wars update
Kevin finishes the night with EPCOT and HS Fantasmic!

Day 4:
24,036 Steps / 11.14 Miles Walked
Part 1: Magic Kingdom Rope Drop
Part 2: A 'No Wait' kind of morning!
Part 3: Be Our Guest Lunch
Part 4: A Crane Photoshoot...
Part 5: Dinner at 1900 Park Fare
Part 6: Drizella and an evening at EPCOT

Day 5:
18,176 Steps / 8.57 Miles Walked
Part 1: Skipping the parks to eat Mickey Waffles
Part 2: Where is Stitch?
Part 3: We need a vacation FROM our vacation...
Part 4: Laundry and Ketchup Bottles

Day 6:
24,466 Steps / 11.37 Miles Walked
Part 1: Golf Tee Time AND Ropedropping EPCOT
Part 2: Fish, Figment, and Photopass
Part 3: Frozen Ever After for the FIRST TIME!
Part 4: Drink Around The World... 1st Attempt
Part 5: Dinner and a Show
Lost Jacket Update
Group Photo with Strangers

Day 7:
23,357 Steps / 10.92 Miles Walked
Part 1: Our Last Day...
Part 2: Joy & Sadness FINALLY
Part 3: One more time in The Land
Part 4: I've never seen penguins here before!!
Part 5: Trying to fit as much in as possible.
Part 6: Peoplemoving and Castle Shows
Part 7: Dole Whips and I led a parade!
Part 8: Dinner with the Beast

Day 8:
8,569 Steps / 3.98 Miles Walked
Part 1:

Last edited:
HI GUUUURRRRLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:flower1::flower1::flower1:

I've been feeling the pressure (literally lol ) from a few of my fellow Disboarders to start my trip report... you know who you are!!! :rolleyes1

Whaa? Who me???

Never! :rolleyes2

met a billion characters

Hmmm....can I see the math one that one?? :coffee:

Gluten Allergy on top of my already existing Dairy Sensitivity. :sad1:

So sad for you...but welcome to the club! We have fun people here! And GF cookies with dairy free chocolate chips! (LOOOVE Enjoy Life DF choco chips btw, and I'm not even DF!)

Be prepared... I will be talking a LOT about food in this report.

This is GREAT! I can't wait. I know I probably missed out on some good GF/DF eats!!

Looking forward to hearing about your travels!!!!

Whaa? Who me???

Never! :rolleyes2

Hahaaaa... yes you SPECIFICALLY!!! LOL :love:

Hmmm....can I see the math one that one?? :coffee:

Its actually a very complicated formula... it may take me a couple of minutes to write it down...:crazy:

So sad for you...but welcome to the club! We have fun people here! And GF cookies with dairy free chocolate chips! (LOOOVE Enjoy Life DF choco chips btw, and I'm not even DF!)

Yeaaaah the Enjoy Life cookies are sooooo goooood!!!!!!!

This is GREAT! I can't wait. I know I probably missed out on some good GF/DF eats!!

Well... stay tuned guuuuuuuuuuuuuurl!!! :yay:

Yay you started your TR!

Aw sorry about your resort. It makes me glad we switched beforehand but CSR wasn't the greatest either but I think we enjoyed t more han we would've enjoyed CBR.

Hahaaaa... yes you SPECIFICALLY!!! LOL :love:

:teeth:

Its actually a very complicated formula... it may take me a couple of minutes to write it down...:crazy:

:rotfl: I can wait... :bored:

Yeaaaah the Enjoy Life cookies are sooooo goooood!!!!!!!

You and my mom can start a club. I think she ate a million of these over the course of a trip. :laughing: I really like them but I found WOW cookies now (not DF :worried:) and they're my fave!!

Yay you started your TR!

Aw sorry about your resort. It makes me glad we switched beforehand but CSR wasn't the greatest either but I think we enjoyed t more han we would've enjoyed CBR.

Yessss I finally started my trip report!!! Its been a long time since I got back, but we've been so busy with traveling to Savannah, catching up at work, and just being lazy :rolleyes1 But at least I've finally joined the trip report party!! :banana:

And omgosh.... let me just tell you that CSR is our family's FAVORITE resort!! We love love love love it!! CBR is just not our cup of tea, but at least we tried it again for a 2nd time. I will say that you're very lucky to have changed, I'm not sure we will EVER stay at CBR again! Where did you stay at CSR? Cabanas, Casitas, or Ranchos??

You and my mom can start a club. I think she ate a million of these over the course of a trip. :laughing: I really like them but I found WOW cookies now (not DF :worried:) and they're my fave!!

The WDW waiters kept bringing me multiple cookies at a time... so at one point I had like 8 of them in my purse at the same time:rotfl2:

Yessss I finally started my trip report!!! Its been a long time since I got back, but we've been so busy with traveling to Savannah, catching up at work, and just being lazy :rolleyes1 But at least I've finally joined the trip report party!! :banana:

And omgosh.... let me just tell you that CSR is our family's FAVORITE resort!! We love love love love it!! CBR is just not our cup of tea, but at least we tried it again for a 2nd time. I will say that you're very lucky to have changed, I'm not sure we will EVER stay at CBR again! Where did you stay at CSR? Cabanas, Casitas, or Ranchos??
Casitas!

Just out of curiosity - did you book a preferred room or did you request the Casitas area? It's a moot point now but when I was considering CSR I definitely only wanted to stay in the Casitas area but I wasn't sure how to make it happen while also paying the least amount of money possible. :rotfl2:

Just out of curiosity - did you book a preferred room or did you request the Casitas area? It's a moot point now but when I was considering CSR I definitely only wanted to stay in the Casitas area but I wasn't sure how to make it happen while also paying the least amount of money possible. :rotfl2:
No it was a standard. When we did the requests I know we requested "close to transportation" we may have requested casitas too if it was a choice (I can't remember if it was but I think so).

We have stayed in Casitas for 10 days and Cabanas for 8 days both in just standard rooms. We LOVED LOVED LOVED both room locations even though they were not preferred. The walks to the Dig Site Pool and to the main building for food etc are NOT that far. Honestly, our standard room at CBR was WAAAAAY further to walk to the pool / main building and we did not care for it at ALL. I went jogging around the entire CSR resort many times and it literally is the most gorgeous resort in my humble opinion. :flower1:

Bring on the FOOD!

:welcome: I'm so glad you joined and you sound like a girl after my own heart!! haha I love food so much and I especially love Disney food!!! :love:

Joining along! Can't wait to hear all about your trip!

:welcome::cool1: :cool1::cool1:Thank you so much for reading along, and I hope that you enjoy my Trip Report. I look forward to 'seeing' you again soon!!

No it was a standard. When we did the requests I know we requested "close to transportation" we may have requested casitas too if it was a choice (I can't remember if it was but I think so).

I loved Casitas!!!! :jumping1:

I love restaurant reviews and Disney merchandise! I'm in! Also, it's very cool that your dad accompanies your family on your trips.

We haven't stayed at CBR since the '90's and haven't seriously discussed going back, but I'm interested to read your thoughts regarding it. There are other moderates we enjoy far better, like POFQ and CSR.

Cant wait to read more!!! I am so sorry to hear about CBR! We loved it last year, and the bridge in the middle of the lake was even out for refurb! We stayed in Jamaica and it was so quiet and peaceful, we loved it!

Great report! I'm a little nervous about your negative experience at CBR. We are staying for the first time this year over Christmas.....

Joining in. :wave: I don't have any food allergies but I love food so I'm in. Can't wait to hear all about your trip.

We haven't stayed at CBR since the '90's and haven't seriously discussed going back, but I'm interested to read your thoughts regarding it. There are other moderates we enjoy far better, like POFQ and CSR.

Hi!! :wave: I totally agree! We really enjoy POFQ and also CSR MUCH MUCH MUCH better than CBR. I'm SURE there are a LOT of CBR lovers here on the DisBoards... we just had a not so great experience.... stay tuned! :jumping1:

Sounds like it was a great trip!! I am looking forward to reading along! :hyper:

:banana: Thank you so much for Joining along on our journey! Its so nice to see you!!

Cant wait to read more!!! I am so sorry to hear about CBR! We loved it last year, and the bridge in the middle of the lake was even out for refurb! We stayed in Jamaica and it was so quiet and peaceful, we loved it!

Hi and Welcome and Thank you for reading!! :Pinkbounc I stayed at CBR years ago and I really remembered liking it too! This trip... not so much. I think we may have just had a bad experience. It won't stop us from going to WDW though! :cool1:

Great report! I'm a little nervous about your negative experience at CBR. We are staying for the first time this year over Christmas.....

:welcome: Don't be scared or nervous about CBR!! There are so so so so many people who LOVE it!!! Stay tuned for our reasons why we didn't care for it :bored:
Joining in. :wave: I don't have any food allergies but I love food so I'm in. Can't wait to hear all about your trip.

:flower1: Hello and :welcome: !!!! You're lucky that you don't have food allergies... but at least we can all come together to talk about our love of FOOD! :love::love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter