We're BACK! What a trip!

weathernlu

Drew Brees for president!
Hello guys, we are back in New Orleans (yuck) and boy was it nice to get away.

Here's the low down:

My wife was a little nervous at first, she knew Disney cruises weren't cheap and when you have to replace everything you've ever owned including a house, it's a little troubling to hear that your husband went and shelled out several grand on a cruise. Once she settled down from that, and I showed her exactly what it cost (she though like $4,000 when I told her we had a CAT 4) she got EXCITED, big time.

We pulled up to the port around noon, thinking that the lines might have gone down some, EL WRONGO! It was I'd say 3:30 when we got on the boat. The lines were miserable and to be honest I was kind of mad. There has to be a better way than that to check people in. The line squiggled around 4 times and then out past the model boat in the terminal and then back by the bathrooms, it was insane. Once we got checked in though, it was all GREAT from then on out.

The only other setbacks we had we're my son who came down with a low grade fever Thursday night and then the boat's motion (IT WAS ROCKING LIKE CRAZY). We had moderate gale force winds and seas in excess of 13 feet for pretty much the whole trip. It was pretty bad.

On to the good stuff. My goodness, how can you possibly do half of the stuff? We missed Hercules because we we're flat out running from thing to thing and we lost track of time. We also didn't realize that you go at 6:15 if you have late seating for dinner. The first night we went to Animators Palate. The place is awesome and the food is better. Friday we did the glass bottom boat tour in Nassau and then about an 45 minutes worth of shopping and headed back to the boat. We wanted as much time on board as possible. We did some swimming, then went to the Golden Mickey's and then dinner at Parrot Cay. Amazing, again.

On Saturday we went to Castaway Cay. That place is beautiful and the BBQ rocked! Then we FINALLY got baby sitting (only after complaining to Jane the Youth Director -- more on this in a moment) and had some free time, since we couldn't keep the 5 year old out of the club. We got some drinks, sat on the verandah and enjoyed the quiet. That night we did Disney Dreams (best show by far) and then dinner at Triton's.

The cruise was amazing and we're surely hooked. We will be doing a 7 night next time because I have always wanted to see the Virgin Islands, so the 7 night Eastern looks like the ticket. The line to check in was pathetic, but everything after that, and on board was first class all the way.

One small aside for those who followed the thread (CAPS FOR IMPORTANCE)

THE NOT BEING ABLE TO GET ON THE BOAT DUE TO THE ONE YEAR OLD IS BOGUS. HOW IS IT THAT I GET ON THE BOAT AND THEN HAVE TO BEG THE YOUTH DIRECTOR (JANE) FOR THREE HOURS FOR MY SON AT FLOUNDER'S? IF THEY ARE GOING TO TELL PEOPLE ON BOARD THAT FLOUNDER'S IS BOOKED, WHY ARE THEY GOING TO STOP PEOPLE FROM BOOKING WITH A ONE YEAR OLD? THAT'S SILLY! SOMEONE COULD HAVE BOOKED 20 YEARS AGO AND THEN GET ON BOARD AND GET TOLD THAT FLOUNDER'S IS BOOKED? WHY BOTHER WITH THE ONE YEAR OLD RESTRICTION THEN? IT MAKES NO SENSE WHATSOEVER. IMAGINE MY SURPRISE TO BE TOLD EVERY DAY....SORRY WE'RE BOOKED. THEN WHY DID I HAVE TO GO THROUGH WHAT I WENT THROUGH? JUST LET ME ON THE BOAT AND TELL ME FLOUNDER'S IS BOOKED. WHAT GIVES THERE?

Anyway, overall I gave the cruise EXCELLENT on my card, cause it was amazing. The food was second to none and the shows we're just plain outstanding. Mix that with the characters, the Oceaneer Club, the service, the views, our awesome stateroom, etc. and you can't help but be impressed. We're surely hooked!

I'll try to get some pictures posted for everyone!

I am glad you got to go and I am glad you had a wonderful time away from your cares and worries. :cool1:

I also don't understand the Flounders thing as I will be lucky to get some time for our daughter once I can book as a non castaway Cay member. It would be nice if they expanded this program.

I'd been hoping you'd post and let us know how your trip went!! Check out your previous thread -- lots of good wishes for you there.

I'm really surprised you had difficulty getting on board. I am thinking maybe things were delayed in general. It will be interesting to see the trip reports that come in from your cruise. Maybe everyone was delayed getting on board?

On our 12/29 cruise we arrived at the port a little after one and I know we were at our stateroom by 2:00. Something doesn't add up for me here. Because of the viruses that are passed easily this time of year I am questioning if they needed to do a good sterilization between cruises? Our cruise got an extra day at castaway -- we think it may be because of a virus on board, but who knows!

Did you check the kids in to flounders/oceaneers club while you were waiting to board? I'm shocked the nursery was full. We had absolutely no problems on our cruise. Maybe some of the staff was ill -- or maybe they just had a large number of babies. At least you knew they were taking good care of your 2 year old during the 3 hours he was there. Glad you BEGGED!!

I know you're pointing out some highlights/ bad points in this brief posting. I can also tell despite these bad things, you and DW had a great time. I am so glad for you.

There were dozens of us wishing for extra pixie dust for you on the trip. Glad you got on the boat!

A Disney Cruise is amazing. party:

I was hoping to hear from you today! I'm thrilled you had a wonderful experience :thumbsup2 . That in the end, all of that stress, wonder, and worry was worth it :grouphug:

Thanks for posting how everything went. I can believe that the nursery was booked since those reservations open up at 105 days for concierge but am glad that you were able to use it. It wont be as hectic on the Eastern since there are more days & you now know the ropes & can experience the cruise experience like many of us do by booking over a year in advance instead of a couple weeks. :)

Just incase I minced words, WE LOVED the cruise it was amazing.

That was just a few of the things that stood out to me. We are hooked and going to be starting to plan 2 week vacations, a week in the park and a week on the boat. I might need to get a second job! :)

weathernlu said:
Just incase I minced words, WE LOVED the cruise it was amazing.

That was just a few of the things that stood out to me. We are hooked and going to be starting to plan 2 week vacations, a week in the park and a week on the boat. I might need to get a second job! :)

Hi, I am SOOOOOOOOOO glad you had a Magical time...I thought of your family often, and am glad to hear it went well despite some minor things...Continued hope and prayers for your family as well as everyone affected by the hurricanes...Hope everything shapes up quickly enough.. :grouphug:

thanks for posting

glad you all enjoyed the cruise

what was the glass bottom boat trip like

Glad you had a good time!!! I went searching for the other thread when I came across this moved one.

This just makes me ever more anxious for our upcoming trip in April!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter