We're back- details from our trip. The Good, the Bad and the REALLY ugly...

todzwife

<font color=darkorchid>There's nothing worse than
Overall it was a fun trip, but not as easy going as our trip in March. I'm pretty much Disney'ed out for awhile...

The Good: The Ramada Maingate was a decent place to stay. I just posted a full review on tripadvisor, but LMK if you have any specific questions.
The crowds weren't bad at all. We were able to get a lot of stuff done.
RSR is an amazing ride. Loved it. Unfortunately it does break down a LOT and wasn't opening until noon every day we were there so it was always a LONG line. We ate at Flo's and it was DELISH, but super expensive if you buy the kids car lunch box ($11 for a kids meal!) The Christmas decorations were beautiful and we loved that things literally appeared overnight!

The bad: The weather was all over the place, ranging from 96 on Monday to Rain on Thursday, to cold on Friday. It was really hard to plan for everything and we ended up spending a lot of money on extra layers for Friday.
Someone stole our little $15 umbrella stroller when we still had another day of touring, so we had to go buy ANOTHER one. My kids were really tired this trip.

The UGLY: We had several problems with the new procedure for 4/5 day hoppers before they changed it Friday. On our third day, we were lined up for CA (in the rain, FIRST in line at the gates on a non EMH day) and something happened with my 9 year old's ticket and it wouldn't scan. Meanwhile, the other side was pouring through, and we were there for a full 10 minutes almost 15, completely missing the change for RSR fastpasses. FORTUNATELY my parents and brother were in a different line (they had 3 day hoppers) and my brother booked it to the fastpass line. By the time we got through, the line for FP was back to Aladdin, but my brother was second in line so we just handed him our tickets and waited at the rope with the crowd. This same problem happened that afternoon when we hopped to DL that afternoon, spending another 15 minutes in line. We went to City Hall to complain because at this point, we had been held back for almost a half an hour! They did give us a few readmission passes for whatever rides we wanted, so we were able to do SM and ST that night but it was still extremely frustrating. Even more so was when it happened AGAIN Friday. It was a mess. I hope they get it fixed soon because it SUCKS right now.

Also, we ran into several REALLY rude people. I have NOTHING against other cultures visiting Disneyland but I do have a problem when they are rude and pushy. We encountered several instances of rude pushy people, but the worst experience was Monday's parade. I was saving a spot along the curb w/ my husband for the parade. We were there an hour early and had put some stuff out to help the 2 of us keep space for 9 and the toddler. DH took her to the bathroom and the rest of the group was headed over from Space Mtn, leaving me alone with the stroller and our "stuff" saving the spot. 20 minutes before the parade started, a foreign man and his HUGE tour group of about 40 just moved themselves into our spot even though it was CLEARLY being saved. There was room on the other side of the street. I stood up and told him I was saving it for my family and he told me that it was "ok" that there would be room for them. I TRIED to explain to him that there were 9 1/2 (10) people and he started screaming at me that he had paid the same amount for his ticket and he could stand wherever he wanted. Meanwhile I'm frantically trying to call DH and my parents to get them over there to help me. I'm only 5'2" and not a very aggressive person and this man just kept PUSHING me and moving his group back into our spot. I almost started crying, I was so mad and apparently my tear ducts are hard wired to my anger button, but I managed to hold it together. I told him that *I* was saving it, that they needed to find somewhere else to sit, that half of their group would be fine behind us, but there was not enough room for all 40, at which point Disney CM's started flocking over because he was yelling at me again and again that they paid the same for their tickets. They ended up moving us to the "VIP" area by the train, which is fine for viewing but the characters don't wave at you up there so my kids were disappointed. The only good thing that came about from it was that on the train's last run, the conductor asked us if we wanted to ride on the Lily Belle, which was beautiful, I wish I had been able to take all of the details in but it was dark.

Overall it was a good trip. I wouldn't take a 2 1/2 year old again. She was a monster and scared of all the rides this time except the merry go round. Every time we took her on it she threw a fit when we had to get off though. It was just no fun with her! She was SO easy in March too...

And at the end of the trip, we found out my grandpa is dying from stage 4 lung cancer and that really put a damper on the rest of the trip.

Unfortunately rude and pushy people come from all cultures. :thumbsup2 Saving spots is tricky business, especially if you only have 1 person saving for 10.

To the OP. We had issues with the Asian groups also. the guy with the flag was just plain rude when ever ours and other were in a path he wanted to take his group thru. It was horrible the way he thought he owned any walk area he decided to take the group on. I know his group were aware of the how he was actting as they would say something the bow slightly as they passed. What a rude jerk he is. I hope others will complain to DL CM's about this guy. I would have told him aoubt his "I buy a ticket to line", Great now I know you are not an employee of DL so move along little guy ---- and take your group with you--before a house falls on you. I am glad you stayed your grounds.

Did you also notice the area residents acted as if we are intruding on their property. I think they were local residents as that is what they told me as they pushed by me, almost knocking me over. They were not all kids either. I have never experienced anything like this before. I make one trip to DL every year with some years getting to go twice. What is happening at DL? Maybe they should raise the price of the annual passes for southren calif. and then lower the price for the deluxe and premium passes.

Just venting a little as getting pushed around, then being invisible to the locals that wanted to be in an area I was in sort of left a bad taste for our trip. I will never go when the southren calif pass is good. I am sure I will have a better experience.

Unfortunately rude and pushy people come from all cultures. :thumbsup2 Saving spots is tricky business, especially if you only have 1 person saving for 10.

Oh I know this, but there was clearly a language issue and my saving was marked with blankets and shoes. It wasn't like there was no one/nothing there saving the spot.

I know a LOT of really horrible american people too LOL!

I am sorry that parts of your trip were less than magical, and I am very sorry about your grandpa. It is always hard to get bad news about a loved one.

Sorry about the negative aspects of the trip and your grandpa :(

We were there the same time as you (left Fri morning though). I completely agree about the weather....being from NM though, it felt like home lol (maybe not the rain so much, but the temperamental weather).

We had a rude person experience as well (but no where near as bad as yours...I'd have been bawling!). A CM at Haunted Mansion basically called my daughter a liar (asked her age and misheard her, she's 14, thought she said 13, she was in the seat in front of us with our 8 & 5 yr olds). Very rude & dramatic over it, I reported her at City Hall.

There was also the lady who tried to mow me down with her stroller while in line for RSR FPs. I think it was Thursday. As the line started moving and we were walking down that wide path, I could see her stroller wheels beside me, so I'd casually walk to the side in front of them lol This happened about 4 or 5 times, she finally gave up (at least gave up trying to get in front, because then she hit the back of my feet about 4 or 5 times). There were only about 10-15 people in front of us...not sure why she felt the need to move ahead. It was the same woman that entered the park early for the count down...maybe she thought she was special? lol Or maybe I just misinterpreted her excitement for FPs :p

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. They can really leave a bad taste for the overall trip.

I had my two nephews (10 & 12), and they claimed it to be the best weekend in their lives - lot of firsts for them. We had a great time.

The only rudeness we had was when two adults (I'm talking 30's here) who cut in front of us in the Matterhorn. They were so slick, too. I just pointed out to both of them that the back of the line was way behind us, and they'd have to go there, and the people behind me chimed in, too. Lol

The man acted very blasé about it, but the woman was very embarrassed. They were obviously on a date, and all I could think of was, "When someone shows you who they really are, then believe them." I used it as a teaching moment to my nephews to stand up for what is right -- it was a small moment and luckily everyone else we ran into were super nice on the trip.

------

My condolences on your grandfather. We lost my aunt to lung cancer, and later that year my own father to pancreatic cancer, so I understand.

Don't blame the Korean guy, blame yourself. One person trying to save spots for 10 is just silly. Sorry, just calling it as I see it. With the exception of young kids, why can't everyone sit in their spots and wait.

Overall it was a fun trip
Glad to hear it was fun overall. May I suggest focusing on the fun and not highlighting the not-so-fun moments. I know it can be tough, but it will make your memory of your trip sooooo much better.

...I was saving a spot along the curb w/ my husband for the parade. We were there an hour early and had put some stuff out to help the 2 of us keep space for 10....
Maybe with some time, you can view this as I am reading it. You were not saving a spot. You were saving spots for 9 other people. That's a lot of space to hold. If you were in line for Peter Pan's Flight and right before you were to board 9 others joined the person in front of you, how would you feel? I think the expectation that one person can save that much "land" for an extended period of time is just not realistic and set you up for a tense situation. When did your group plan on joining you? 20 minutes prior to parade and there are 10 empty, front row spots? That would be a tough one. Don't blame it on a particular race. I think it would have happened with another large party, too.

...The only good thing that came about from it was that on the train's last run, the conductor asked us if we wanted to ride on the Lily Belle, which was beautiful.
HAHAHAHA! The "only good thing"?

I live locally (oh no! a "local") and have been going to DL on a very regular basis for close to 10 years. I have YET to get to ride the Lily Belle despite numerous attempts and MANY close calls. That is an AMAZING good thing! How about writing a giant post about the INCREDIBLE opportunity to ride the Lily Belle... something others try to do over and over and over and do not get to do? It's all about perspective. You got to sit in VIP seating for the parade AND ride the Lily Belle? Wow! What an amazing afternoon!

And at the end of the trip, we found out my grandpa is dying from stage 4 lung cancer and that really put a damper on the rest of the trip.
I am VERY sorry to hear about your grandpa. Enjoy the time that you have with him (whether via phone or in person). I would give anything for one more conversation with either of my grandpas. Sending lots of pixie dust his way. Try not to connect that information to your trip, though. They are not related. :goodvibes

...Did you also notice the area residents acted as if we are intruding on their property. I think they were local residents as that is what they told me as they pushed by me, almost knocking me over. They were not all kids either. I have never experienced anything like this before.
So you encountered a rude group of people and now all locals act like you're "intruding on their property"? Please do not include all of us who live nearby with the rude ones that you happened to encounter. There are rude tourists. There are rude locals. There are rude kids. There are rude adults. Let's not turn it into a "locals" thing, based on one experience, please.

Maybe they should raise the price of the annual passes for southren calif. and then lower the price for the deluxe and premium passes.
Seriously!??!?! Why should they raise the price on the AP for Southern CA residents? Those who live closer should be charged more? Those who keep the Park going during the slower times? Those who spend so much money in-Park that they help keep the costs down for others? Those are the ones that should be charged more? Nice.

Just venting a little as getting pushed around, then being invisible to the locals that wanted to be in an area I was in sort of left a bad taste for our trip. I will never go when the southren calif pass is good. I am sure I will have a better experience.
I am sorry you encountered some rude people. I think to "brand" all of those with a Southern CA pass into one group - "locals" - is a rude approach and a mistake. Why are you sure you "will have a better experience" when So. Cal. holders are blocked? You DO realize that MANY MANY MANY locals have all levels of passes right? I think there are really dangers in over-generalizing about any group of people. I would kindly suggest that maybe you just realize you encountered a few rude people. That does not mean all of Southern CA's populous is rude.

- Dreams

I had a similar experience this part weekend with rude people. I was in line with my wife and daughter for Space Mountain. The was a man with a Mixed Martial Arts shirt on and my daughter was commenting how great the shirt looked. When all of a sodden a group of over 5o people with the same shirt pushed by us making my daughter hit her head on the line rail. I was very upset that they were so pushy and a large group cut in line after we had been waiting for 25 minutes already. I talked with the man that was in line with us and asked what is going on. He said he was a tour guide for this Brazilian MMA team and he was saving the spot for all of them. A CM say this and walked over when the people behind me start yelling at them because they had pushed there son against the rail also. The CM asked everybody to calm down, we then asked him to remove the group that cut in line and he said he can't because someone was saving there spot for them. I told him saving for a couple people is fine but over 50 is to much. CM told me there is nothing he can do. I think karma hit this group, just as they were going to get on the ride it broke down. The announcement said they didn't know how long it would be down so the group left. YAAAAAAA!!!!!! 5 minutes later the ride started to run again. I think Disney should come up with a rule that saving a spot should be only for a couple of people only, but thats another topic. Sorry for the rant on this just upset at people that hurt my kids!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sorry that you encountered some bad experiences on your trip. I am especially sorry for your grandfather's diagnosis. That must have been really hard to hear there on your vacation.

I do respectfully agree with others that have said it also isn't right that you were saving so many seats. I have a family of 5, and I know I never would feel comfortable saving that many seats by myself. Sure, I have saved one or two for short periods of time while family members ran off to get food or to the bathroom, but to save 10 seats is just beyond what is appropriate. Maybe this is just my thinking on it?

I know that it is a tricky subject, especially at Disneyland. I am sure we have all encountered that situation where you go to watch the parade with your family, and show up an hour+ early to find a seat, and instead you find ever curbside seat taken up by blankets, strollers and shoes in attempt to hoard every inch of prime viewing space. It can be so frustrating and disappointing. Many people see this kind of over the top space saving as very "rude" in itself. Just something to think about for next time. It sounds like you were the the one left holding the bag (or the seats!) and I wouldn't let that happen again. Warn everyone that they have to do their part by holding their own seat, then you won't have to be fighting people off like this.

Hope you made a good amount of happy memories while there, too. Disneyland is always a mix of "the best of times-the worst of times" for me!

I am the space saver for our family. It is me, my husband and 10 year old son. When my son was born I started saving front row seats for our family for parades, shows, fireworks, Fantasmic!, you name it, I would sit up to two hours for that perfect seat. I know how hard it is to save a spot for 2 others, I could not imagine having to save one for 9 others. I agree with others, next time have a few others sit with you to save the seats.

Oh, and people have mentioned the when does the family join you topic. Well for parades my family joins me 30 minutes before. For Fantasmic they sit with me the whole time. For fireworks I will wait hours to get a bench. They join me 1 to 1/2 hours before so I can walk around, get something to eat and stop sitting for so long.

So you encountered a rude group of people and now all locals act like you're "intruding on their property"? Please do not include all of us who live nearby with the rude ones that you happened to encounter. There are rude tourists. There are rude locals. There are rude kids. There are rude adults. Let's not turn it into a "locals" thing, based on one experience, please.

Seriously!??!?! Why should they raise the price on the AP for Southern CA residents? Those who live closer should be charged more? Those who keep the Park going during the slower times? Those who spend so much money in-Park that they help keep the costs down for others? Those are the ones that should be charged more? Nice.

I am sorry you encountered some rude people. I think to "brand" all of those with a Southern CA pass into one group - "locals" - is a rude approach and a mistake. Why are you sure you "will have a better experience" when So. Cal. holders are blocked? You DO realize that MANY MANY MANY locals have all levels of passes right? I think there are really dangers in over-generalizing about any group of people. I would kindly suggest that maybe you just realize you encountered a few rude people. That does not mean all of Southern CA's populous is rude.

- Dreams

I agree that I have met many great locals during my park visits. As you say, there are rude people and not-rude people whether they are local or not. I do my best to not let the rude people get to me rather than worrying about where they might have come from.

As for the pass situation, it seems to me that from a business standpoint, Disneyland could drop the So Cal passes at this point. Disney seems to be well-attended enough that they don't need to worry about off-season anymore. They could just offer premium and deluxe passes to everyone as well as a payment plan. Whether one lives 10 minutes or 10 hours from the parks, it's up to each individual to decide if the number of days they can visit the parks with their AP is worth it for the price.

The rest of my family was going on a big ride (space mtn) that the toddler couldn't go on while we saved spots w/ the 2 year old and they were on their way over to meet up 20 minutes before the parade started (literally minutes after this whole thing went down). My husband and toddler were with me for most of that hour, but she had to go to the bathroom IMMEDIATELY so he had left to take her. (If you've never had a potty trained toddler you wouldn't understand) I wasn't saving a huge spot either, my family are not big people, it was about 4 feet of curb space and about a foot behind that, that the other few could stand behind. I wasn't saving all the way to the rope and it wouldn't have been a problem for 10 or 15 people to stand behind us, but this man (who's race doesn't matter, but I brought it up only because of the language issue) tried to smoosh 40- and I am not exaggerating on the number- of people into that SMALL spot, stepping on our blankets, my FINGERS (I was sitting on the curb) and smashing my daughters sandwich.

There was TONS of room on the other side of the street too, people weren't even 2 deep ANYWHERE because it wasn't a busy night at all, otherwise I would have recruited at least half of our group to help save seats but as it was, I did not think it would be a problem because there was still bench seating 30 minutes prior, plenty of curb space 20 minutes prior, but he chose to step on me and kick me out instead.

I love it that people are blaming ME for this experience. Thanks.

The rest of my family was going on a big ride (space mtn) that the toddler couldn't go on while we saved spots w/ the 2 year old and they were on their way over to meet up 20 minutes before the parade started (literally minutes after this whole thing went down). My husband and toddler were with me for most of that hour, but she had to go to the bathroom IMMEDIATELY so he had left to take her. (If you've never had a potty trained toddler you wouldn't understand) I wasn't saving a huge spot either, my family are not big people, it was about 4 feet of curb space and about a foot behind that, that the other few could stand behind. I wasn't saving all the way to the rope and it wouldn't have been a problem for 10 or 15 people to stand behind us, but this man (who's race doesn't matter, but I brought it up only because of the language issue) tried to smoosh 40- and I am not exaggerating on the number- of people into that SMALL spot, stepping on our blankets, my FINGERS (I was sitting on the curb) and smashing my daughters sandwich.

There was TONS of room on the other side of the street too, people weren't even 2 deep ANYWHERE because it wasn't a busy night at all, otherwise I would have recruited at least half of our group to help save seats but as it was, I did not think it would be a problem because there was still bench seating 30 minutes prior, plenty of curb space 20 minutes prior, but he chose to step on me and kick me out instead.

I love it that people are blaming ME for this experience. Thanks.

I am not blaming you at all. I just mentioned how hard it is to even save 3 spots. On our first trip to WDW I grabbed a bench on the parade route in AK about 2 hours before the parade. About 1 hour later someone came and sat down after pushing my backpack over. I told them I was saving the spots for my family and we are bigger people. This person said no problem. Then brought the rest of the family over pushing even more people on the bench. There was plenty of room on the parade route. The several feet next to the bench was wide open. Yet these rude people had to take my bench and I was none to happy about this since I had been there for an hour already. I texted my DH and made them come. The people were extremely rude and never left. My son ended up sitting on the ground next to me and my husband stood behind me. I was livid. So I also understand what you are going through.

I forgot to mention too, I can also related to your finding out about your grandfather when you were at Disneyland.

We were there in March. It was March 5th, we had just gotten off Pirates and I had just used the restroom in New Orleans Square, gotten back on my scooter and was ready to go when my phone rang. It was my sister calling to tell me my dad had just died.

Yes, I can relate to you on many levels. I am glad you had some really good parts on this trip. I hope to ride the Lily Belle one day. Did you get pictures?

When I finally got a hold of my parents, it turned out that my siblings were headed to DCA to do TOT so I was really only saving for 6, not 10. I wouldn't have even TRIED to save that many spots had it been a busy night.

I forgot to mention too, I can also related to your finding out about your grandfather when you were at Disneyland.

We were there in March. It was March 5th, we had just gotten off Pirates and I had just used the restroom in New Orleans Square, gotten back on my scooter and was ready to go when my phone rang. It was my sister calling to tell me my dad had just died.

Yes, I can relate to you on many levels. I am glad you had some really good parts on this trip. I hope to ride the Lily Belle one day. Did you get pictures?

Not many as it was super dark. Last ride of the night since the park was closing early. I tried, but even with the flash, it was washed out. It was a neat experience and fun to say we did it. We also got to ride on the cars that the seats are forward...I didn't even know they had seats like that. (We spent TONS of time on the train, it was the 2 year old's favorite ride.)

How fun, I am glad you had some good Train experiences. There are lots of Lily Belle pictures online, so you can look at them now and say "I have seen that"

I've seen a lot of posts on Disboards that really point fingers rather than offer understanding lately. It was wrong for that man to ignore you. I would have been very upset. And I realize that there were three of you there until DD had to go to the bathroom.

I'm really sorry about your Grandfather. On the ride home from the airport on my last trip to DL I received a call about my uncle having prostate cancer at 47. He passed away eventually from it. I just said a prayer for you and your family.

Hopefully your next trip will be more enjoyable and relaxing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter