We're back & better than ever - Complete!

Ditto! Totally agree with you about Le Cellier. :thumbsup2 We too have had some so-so meals there but also have had some very good ones. And overall, the hits seem to have outnumbered the misses. To me the steaks are just average to good (not great), but I love both the salmon (I've had two different versions so far, as they seem to frequently change it) and the burger for lunch.

Oh, and still looking forward to finding out what's for dinner tonight? :laughing: :surfweb:
I really have to try that Le Cellier burger - it sounds incredible. :thumbsup2 I also agree with your assessment - I don't think the actual meat in the filet mignon is incredible (steak is usually just steak to me), but I love the truffle butter and accompanying risotto. Plus, plenty of other dishes have been hits for me at LC - duck meatball appetizer, marinated tuna appetizer, upscale poutine at dinner, steak tartare app, some dinner entrees, the salmon of course, etc. :)

And hopefully tomorrow I'll have time to post the dinner review. :goodvibes

I remember your review, and it was easily one of the worst I've ever seen of Le Cellier. Most of the negative comments about Le Cellier are basically that the place is "mediocre" or failed to meet their high expectations (due to the incredible hype that this place has built up); your meal just sounded completely off. Hopefully a second meal there would show you what they're capable of (or at least whether that first meal was a fluke or not).

At WDW, we've been to lots of restaurants where our first meal was disappointing: California Grill, Flying Fish, Yachtsman, Sanaa, etc. In fact, we've had disappointing meals almost everywhere (including the occasional awful meal at Citricos, Artist Point, Jiko, etc). But by giving them second (and sometimes third and fourth :laughing:) chances, we wound up having some of our best WDW meals. I appreciate that you have an open mind and would try Le Cellier again eventually. :)

Oh I will certainly try it again, perhaps for lunch
I won't tell DH where we are going until we check in :rotfl:

Oh I will certainly try it again, perhaps for lunch
I won't tell DH where we are going until we check in :rotfl:
Sounds like a good plan. :thumbsup2 And at least during lunch (assuming everything goes wrong again), the financial risk is reduced, and you could salvage the day with a nice drink in World Showcase and a delicious meal in Epcot or the Epcot resort area. :laughing:

As usual, I'm really enjoying your wonderful reviews. We are also once again staying in the Epcot area, so I greatly appreciate the info from Yachtsman, FF, Captain's Grille, etc. I wonder where you wound up eating on Wednesday night?

As usual, I'm really enjoying your wonderful reviews. We are also once again staying in the Epcot area, so I greatly appreciate the info from Yachtsman, FF, Captain's Grille, etc. I wonder where you wound up eating on Wednesday night?
Thanks for reading! I'm excited to start working on the Wednesday dinner review now. :)

So Wednesday basically went by, and I had been checking ADRs a few times on my phone. Eventually, while I was sitting at the Contemporary bus stop at about 4:20pm, I noticed that a new slot was available for Flying Fish at 5:30 (we prefer eating at early times usually). I was so excited! I called my mom and asked if I should make the booking, and she approved. So I got on the next bus to Hollywood Studios and walked to the Boardwalk, while she got ready and walked from the Yacht Club. :thumbsup2

Here's the menu again (it didn't change between Tuesday and Wednesday).

IMG_2827.jpg

IMG_2828.jpg

Our server, Chauncey, was extremely friendly and the best we've had at Flying Fish. She brought over the sourdough bread with butter (I really liked the addition of pine nuts or something else crunchy in the bread).

IMG_2882.jpg

For an appetizer, I wanted to get something I haven't tried before (which ruled out most of the appetizers). :laughing: Instead, I ordered the mushroom side. I don't really love mushrooms, but these were very well prepared and I liked the addition of herbs. It was a big portion, so I couldn't finish this dish. We simply kept it around when the entrees came and my mom enjoyed the rest of it as a side.

IMG_2889.jpg

My mom picked the tomato and buffalo mozzarella, which was great as usual. It's a simple, very well-executed caprese salad, with juicy tomatoes and slightly salty mozzarella. :)

IMG_2886.jpg

My entree was the surf and surf special: horseradish and brioche-crusted flounder with rock shrimp "scampi", fresh and sun-dried tomatoes, eggplant, fennel confit, and a caper, niçoise olive, meyer lemon, and herbs meunière. I honestly don't know why I ordered this, as it was extremely similar to a disappointing entree I had here over the summer (cobia with fried soft shell crab, tomatoes, eggplant, and a niçoise olive, citrus, and caper meunière). The summer entree was extremely salty, and I was hoping this dish wouldn't have the same problem.

IMG_2892.jpg

Well, I'm happy to say this dish wasn't overly salty at all (the summer dish must've been a fluke). I loved taking a bite of the mild fish (which was soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside) with the sweet and garlicky shrimp, tomato, sweet fennel, and salty olives and capers. This was a delicious dish, and I really loved the vibrant colors and Mediterranean flavors. :cloud9:

IMG_2894.jpg

My mom picked her favorite dish here, the signature snapper with the red wine and cassis butter reduction on the side. Once again, she really enjoyed this (and I tasted some and liked it as usual). Getting the heavy, meaty sauce on the side really helps us both enjoy it more (as it's very good, but we don't need too much of it). The fish itself was less rectangular than it's been in the past - I like this presentation. :)

IMG_2890.jpg

IMG_2891.jpg

We also ordered a side of young spinach - it was really good - spinach, lemon, and garlic is a great combination.

IMG_2895.jpg

We had both decided that we were going to split the cheese plate again. However, we changed our minds upon looking at the dessert menu.

IMG_2896.jpg

My mom picked the chocolate dessert. Over the summer, this dish was exactly the same but incorporated Thai chili. I liked it, but I'm happy that my mom was able to enjoy this without the spice. It's a lovely dessert that combines chocolate with satisfyingly savory, smokey flavors.

IMG_2898.jpg

IMG_2897.jpg

Since I'm a strawberry lover, I had to try the frangelico, white chocolate, and strawberry mousse implosion with hazelnut chiffon, pomegranate-balsamico strawberries, and a strawberry-basil coulis. With typical Flying Fish flair, this dish was beautiful. The mousse itself was creamy and had a sweet white chocolate flavor; there was a small amount of strawberry mousse on the inside as well. The bottom layer of the dessert had a nutty flavor and crunchy texture from the hazelnuts, and I just loved how the dish was full of fresh strawberries and other great touches (I love strawberries with balsamic, and strawberries with basil - I wish there had been a bit more of the coulis). Overall, this was a great dessert and worth the indulgence. :goodvibes

IMG_2900.jpg

IMG_2903.jpg

(If we had gotten a third dessert, it would've easily been the PB&J crème brûlée, but I'm a strawberry person more than a peanut butter person, so no regrets :))

This was probably our best meal ever at Flying Fish, from a food and service standpoint, and it wasn't completely over. Before we left, Chauncey brought over some Swedish Fish to go. What a kind touch - my mom loves Swedish Fish! I'm sure next time we go to Flying Fish, we'll try to ask for Chauncey, as she was the first server we've had there who provided really excellent service. :thumbsup2

IMG_2906.jpg

Overall, I still think Artist Point is my favorite WDW restaurant. But the competition is close - the past two Flying Fish meals have brought it up even more, and I'd say FF is probably in my top 3 (with Artist Point and Yachtsman, just ahead of Citricos and Jiko). Overall, I really like most of Disney's signature restaurants (including Brown Derby and Le Cellier dinner). :thumbsup2

I was referring to Le Cellier. But AP looks wonderful too. Actually I think AP looks even better.
Just checking. I thought you meant Le Cellier since that dish was in a more recent post, but I didn't want to start talking about the wrong one. :laughing: I'd be happy to have either dish again (Le Cellier has already changed up the salmon, and I'm sure AP will change their dish soon). :goodvibes

Great review of Flying Fish Cafe! I'm so glad you were able to have dinner there after all! I love their snapper, but your surf & surf entrée looks very good too. However, what impressed me the most though was their current dessert menu. So far I haven't been thrilled by the desserts at Flying Fish. Although my DD loved their signature Napoleon dessert, I could take or leave it. And I can't even remember my dessert from last time (maybe some kind of crème brulee?), so I guess for me it was pretty unremarkable. :laughing: But anyway your two dessert choices look absolutely delicious and I'm also intrigued by the PB&J crème brulee. I'm hoping at least one of those three desserts are still on the menu on my next visit.

I love Flying Fish! I'm doing a trip in May with my nephew. There are only two restaurants I'm repeating: Flying Fish and Ca Grill. All others will be new to me but I enjoy those two too much to pass them up.

I can't wait to read the rest of your reviews! Always enjoyable!

Sorry Im late but I am so glad I caught up! You have once again outdid yourself on the pics and descriptions! Boy do you have me missing the YC, I tried to get it last year but it wasnt available with the AP discount so we were "forced" to stay at the BWI and hey, 40% is 40% right? LOL! Hoping we can get the YM this year.

The citrus swirl looks great! Reminds me of the gelati from Rita's Ice, my husband is for sure going to get that!

We have not done breakfast at Capt Grill in a while so I think that is going to replace Cape May, the buffet looks a million times better than the last time we were there

I am heck bent on going to FF this trip, we missed it the last time and I love the snapper and I want to try the BW dessert trio. Yachtsman is now 100% on my schedule, I think I will have it replace AP, we do not like salmon and the rest of the menu doesnt wow me like YM does.

Might have to fit lunch in at LC, really want to try that vegetarian dish

So....when is your next trip? I need something to look forward to :laughing:

Just when I think I know where I want to book my ADRs, I read great reviews like this one, and have to re-think it all!

Thanks for sharing your reviews!

Great review of Flying Fish Cafe! I'm so glad you were able to have dinner there after all! I love their snapper, but your surf & surf entrée looks very good too. However, what impressed me the most though was their current dessert menu. So far I haven't been thrilled by the desserts at Flying Fish. Although my DD loved their signature Napoleon dessert, I could take or leave it. And I can't even remember my dessert from last time (maybe some kind of crème brulee?), so I guess for me it was pretty unremarkable. :laughing: But anyway your two dessert choices look absolutely delicious and I'm also intrigued by the PB&J crème brulee. I'm hoping at least one of those three desserts are still on the menu on my next visit.
Flying Fish really was great this time! Hopefully some of the desserts will stay the same. That's one of the frustrating thing about the signature restaurants - menu items change quite frequently, and some have a shockingly short lifespan (Yachtsman's nutella trio comes to mind, whereas the Flying Fish boardwalk trio has lasted for almost a year). Oh well - as long as the replacements are even better! :thumbsup2

I love Flying Fish! I'm doing a trip in May with my nephew. There are only two restaurants I'm repeating: Flying Fish and Ca Grill. All others will be new to me but I enjoy those two too much to pass them up.

I can't wait to read the rest of your reviews! Always enjoyable!
It's always nice to try new places while you can! We've been almost everywhere, so there's not much that's still "new" to us. :rotfl: But recently, we've been rediscovering places that we last went to several years ago. If only it were possible to fit everything in. :cloud9:

Sorry Im late but I am so glad I caught up! You have once again outdid yourself on the pics and descriptions! Boy do you have me missing the YC, I tried to get it last year but it wasnt available with the AP discount so we were "forced" to stay at the BWI and hey, 40% is 40% right? LOL! Hoping we can get the YM this year.

The citrus swirl looks great! Reminds me of the gelati from Rita's Ice, my husband is for sure going to get that!

We have not done breakfast at Capt Grill in a while so I think that is going to replace Cape May, the buffet looks a million times better than the last time we were there

I am heck bent on going to FF this trip, we missed it the last time and I love the snapper and I want to try the BW dessert trio. Yachtsman is now 100% on my schedule, I think I will have it replace AP, we do not like salmon and the rest of the menu doesnt wow me like YM does.

Might have to fit lunch in at LC, really want to try that vegetarian dish

So....when is your next trip? I need something to look forward to :laughing:
Great to see you again! And what an interesting question. :laughing: Our next trip was supposed to be in August, which we booked as a bounceback...but now there might be plans for another short trip in May...and we may have been unable to get Yacht Club or Beach Club...causing us to book BWI for now. :lmao: Fortunately, plenty of ADR's are still available - the one meal we're definitely having is Le Cellier lunch (I need that duck confit crêpe before it disappears :yay:).

Based on this post, I'm already excited to see your next set of reviews - Flying Fish, Yachtsman, Captain's Grille, possibly Le Cellier lunch, etc. It all sounds great! :thumbsup2 It's okay if you skip AP. Dining is such a subjective thing, and while AP usually hits all the right notes for us, it might not do that for everyone.

Just when I think I know where I want to book my ADRs, I read great reviews like this one, and have to re-think it all!

Thanks for sharing your reviews!
Thanks for reading, and good luck determining your plans! While it's impossible to fit in every place you might want, I'm sure your ultimate choices will be wonderful. :)

Great review of FF, sounds like the food and service were both fantastic :)
The strawberry dessert you ordered looks like a work of art!! :)

I enjoyed reading your Flying Fish review! Everything looks great and I especially love your dessert since I am strawberry lover also. I could eat strawberries everyday! :cloud9:

I enjoyed reading your Flying Fish review! Everything looks great and I especially love your dessert since I am strawberry lover also. I could eat strawberries everyday! :cloud9:
I love all types of berries - strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc. It's one of the reasons why the berry cobbler at Artist Point is one of my favorite desserts. :goodvibes

Strawberries are extra special because they're sweet and juicy, and they're a more common flavor profile (such as in ice creams or candies). This was one of the few times I've seen a strawberry-themed dessert at Flying Fish, and it was really good. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter