We're 2 Empty-Nesters on the Deluxe DDP! December 2012 trip to Orlando....COMPLETE!!!!!

Better late than never
....and just in time for my planning (for next May)
Thank you for coming back to it
Thank YOU for reading! I see you have been to Disneyland Paris :) We were in Paris a few months ago but we were only there for 4 days.....and there is SO much to do and see in Paris! We didn't make to DL but I'm so curious as to how it compared to MK or DL on the west coast. I bet it was fun!

Fun report! Glad you are continuing it. I have been a couple times at Christmas and I love it during that time. We were there for actual Christmas, though and it is REALLY crowded those days. I think it's better to go earlier in the month like you did, that's what I'll do next time too. I had hopes of a Fall or early December trip this year but it's really up in the air now.
We ARE fortunate to be going this fall. It was a sort of last minute decision and the free dining is what sent me over the edge. I have 2 DL trips (dec 2013 and mar 2014) and I think I will do TR for those two also. I'm getting cocky, aren't I?

12/11/12 Tuesday before noon.

It’s a small world……my favorite ride. The last time we brought all the kids to WDW IASW was down for refurbishment…..and that made me sad. But it’s up and running now and I’m happy. Our next FP isn’t until 11:45-12:45 and that ride will be Pooh. We’re right here, we might as well take that boat to my happy place.

See, it even says, “Welcome to the happiest cruise that ever sailed”. Hm…I wonder what DCL thinks about that mantra?

Toy soldiers are bugling, kids are singing on top of the moon, French girls are doing the Cancan, and Leprechauns are sliding down rainbows. I could go on and on describing the scenes but you know them all…..It’s a Small World is almost as old as I am (at least the west coast version, the original one). Here’s some fun facts about IASW (credit to ABCnews)

1. When Walt first conceived of the ride, it was called, “Children of the World”.

2. As many people know, the ride was originally an attraction at the 1964 NY World’s Fair before finding it’s permanent home at DL. It wasn’t intended to last longer than a couple years. It was Pepsi who approached Walt late in the game with a plan to tribute UNICEF six months before opening. They charged $.95 for adults and $.60 for children to ride the ride and they sold 10 million tickets over the two half-year sessions, the proceeds were donated to UNICEF.

3. The first prototype of the song included a meshing of national anthems all running together as you sailed from nation to nation in your ride boats. The effect was not as it was intended and Walt knew it needed reworking so he asked the Sherman Brothers (they wrote the score for Mary Poppins among others) to come up with a single song that would unite his population of animatronic dolls…..and the song you hear is the song they created. This was all in the wake of the Cuban Missile Crisis. IASW was recorded in various studios around the world-by a church choir in London, TV performers in Mexico City, a school choir in Rome, and by local children from Tokyo and California. The song tune and lyrics are the only Disney creations never to be copyrighted, as UNICEF requested, and can be heard worldwide on musical devices ranging from keyboard demos to ice cream trucks…it remains “a gift to the children of the world”.

4. IASW in DL was revamped in 2008, leaving some upset. It wasn’t a simple maintenance update…..part of it was to include Disney characters in appropriate sections of the ride, for ex, Alice in Wonderland in the U.K. Nearly 30 other characters were added including Cinderella, Aladdin, Lilo, Pinochio, and Mulan. Many people saw it as a corporate twist on what was originally supposed to be a very innocent, non-branded affair. They also added an American scene which was lacking from the World’s Fair version-since the U.S. was the host country, no American scenes were used in 1964.

5. DL in California, DL Paris, and Tokyo DL all have a holiday version of the ride.

6. There are little surprises in each room if you know where to look. For instance, every room has a moon and a sun somewhere within, paying tribute to the lyrics, “There is just one moon and one golden sun”. In the room that represents Africa, there’s a hidden Mickey in a string of purple leaves.

And we're done

I have never thought of waiting for a front bench for this ride but I think I will in the future....especially if I want to take pictures, and I do find taking pictures in this ride challenging.

Next up is that willy, nilly, silly old bear.....

This is making me so nostalgic for Christmas! I've been telling my husband that our next trip will have to be through the holidays... It's so beautiful! Thank you for sharing all of your wonderful photos. Can't wait to hear about MORE FOOD. Maybe I am overly motivated by food, but it's always a favorite part of Disney for me; I've got lots of memories tied up in the different restaurants and snacks!

This is making me so nostalgic for Christmas! I've been telling my husband that our next trip will have to be through the holidays... It's so beautiful! Thank you for sharing all of your wonderful photos. Can't wait to hear about MORE FOOD. Maybe I am overly motivated by food, but it's always a favorite part of Disney for me; I've got lots of memories tied up in the different restaurants and snacks!
Food is a major part of our vacations whether they be Disney or anywhere else for that matter! Food pictures will be big on this report, so you see the details :)

It’s between 11:45 and 12:45 and our fast passes are up for Pooh. This is another ride I have difficulty taking pictures in as evidenced in the ONE picture that follows:

I don't think we bought any of these, which I find very hard to believe....

Walking through Fantasyland we saw these guys clowning around:

and progress on the then "coming to a fantasyland near you".....

Dumbo!!! Oh, forgot I got New Fantasyland Mickey Ears! The ear part slips through the shell...and the ears light up like fireworks.

Final Haunted Mansion FP was 1:20-2:10…….I can't wait to see this in October!

Are you getting hungry? We are! I couldn't wait to visit this restaurant as I'd heard so much about the desserts.....Our ADR was for 2:40, a good late lunch but bad timing as we'll be missing the 3pm parade. Oh well, it was WORTH it!

This sweet lady called our names......

Decorations:

Aren't these glasses cute:

Appetizer Steve: New England Clam Chowder $7.49 I'm allergic so you'll have to take his word for it.....it was yummy

Me: Declaration Salad, field greens tossed in Tavern-made dressing $5.99, normal salad, good dressing!

Steve entrée: Angus Chuck Cheeseburger-topped with bacon and cheddar, served with fruit or tavern fries $14.99

And I ordered this bad boy (one of my favorites of the trip):

New England Pot Roast…braised beef in a cabernet wine and mushroom sauce served with mashed potatoes and garden vegetables $18.99

We always make it a point to order different desserts so Steve ordered:

Johnny Appleseed’s Cake: tavern-made White Cake filled with Apples and Craisins topped with Ice Cream. $7.49

And of course, I ordered:

Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake=vanilla cake with a gooey toffee filling, caramel sauce, and vanilla ice cream $7.49

Perfect meal, I'm totally bummed that it will be closed during our next trip! Both desserts were good but that Toffee Cake is the best!

We didn't buy anything here, at the Christmas Shoppe across the street, but I did make mental notes on what I wanted to buy later!

While we were in the area we decided to hang out with Brer Rabbit and gang:

Then I have no idea what possessed us to do this, but perhaps it was to work off our meal?

More surprises coming!

It's almost time for the party festivities to get started....oh, didn't I tell you? Tonight is our Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party which will be referred to as MVMCP from here on end. We rode BMTR then decided to hang out in the area as we knew we wanted to get a pic with those cute little miners. It was about 6pm and a bit rainy but we took a chance and waited with the very small group that was there waiting with us. At about 7pm we saw this:

We were out of there about 7:10 so we went in search of the fairies:

I find the castle to be the most glorious during the holiday season:

Back to fantasyland for this lovely disFUNctional family:

It had been like 4 hours since we stuffed ourselves at Liberty Tree Tavern so we headed back towards the Beast's castle

and we chewed on this Pork Shank from Gaston's Tavern:

LeFou really can't hold a candle to Gaston's dart game:

So we hurry up for the castle lighting.....

And the projections on the castle to follow in the next post!

More Castle pics:

And some shotty fireworks:

And snow on Main Street:

Guess what? That was only the first show.....more to come!

One last look back as we leave this party:

That concludes day 4 of our trip.....next up:
Tommorrow is day 5, Dec 12, 2012! Epcot and Santas, San Angel Inn lunch, BOG dinner

Last edited:
Thank YOU for reading! I see you have been to Disneyland Paris :) We were in Paris a few months ago but we were only there for 4 days.....and there is SO much to do and see in Paris! We didn't make to DL but I'm so curious as to how it compared to MK or DL on the west coast. I bet it was fun!

The first time we went to Paris - we didn't get to Disneyland either .... Too much Paris to see
The next visit, we went to Disneyland ... But it was pre Dis .... I really didn't get the most out of it
Would love to go back knowing what I do now
We did, however go to the rat shop from Ratatoiulle and did a 'sewer tour'

Today is 12/12/12!!! We're starting off in Epcot then will head back to MK for dinner. That's the beauty of having park hoppers.....it's only us two adults so jumping from here to there isn't an issue.

Not sure what we did for breakfast but it probably wasn't much since we'll be having lunch in Mexico at Epcot and dinner at BOG in the MK. I'm sure I mentioned that we were on the DxDDP and that's a lot of food!

We slept in somewhat. I actually think I had ADRS for Kona breakfast but since the party was last night, we needed the extra sleep. It wasn't that late as our San Angel Inn ADRs were fairly early as was our BOG dinner ressies.

We were a little early at San Angel Inn (ADRs were for 11am) but we didn't have time to do anything but wait.

We were seated at about 11:10, fairly close to the water. We didn't know it at the time but we would be having one of our favorite meals of the trip right now! I had read loads of reviews and the Avocado Margarita seemed to be a fan favorite so I knew I was going to have that. I think Steve got the blood orange margarita, which was good too!

Our lovely server....I think her name was Carlita or another "C" name. Gosh, I had it in my notes but that iPhone is long gone now :(

Our appetizers:

Tostadas de Tinga-Pulled chicken seasoned with roasted tomato and chipotle, served on tostadas with black refried beans, green tomatillo sauce, queso fresco and sour cream $10.50

Tlacoyos de Chilorio-corn cakes, topped with black refried beans, pork, chilorio, queso fresco sour cream and green tomatillo sauce $11.5

For our main course, one of us had:

Arrachera con Chilaquiles-NY strip with chilaquiles (layers of fried corn tortillas, green tomatillo sauce, topped with queso fresco, onions, and sour cream) served with black refried beans. $23.50

And I think I must have had:

Pescado a la Veracruzana-catch of the day prepared with capers, olives, bell peppers, spanish onions, and tomatoes, seasoned with white wine and spices, served over poblano rice, $23.50

My entree was to die for.....I'm sure I licked the plate. Let's see:

Looks like we both did.

No way was I hungry for dessert but we did anyway:

Cheesecake and Crema Bavaria, around $7 each.

We're going to need to walk this off.....good thing we have lots of walking planned (and my feet will later have proof of this)!

Wow, those are some amazing shots of the Castle! So beautiful. And I've never really given much thought to Liberty Tree Tavern, but after hearing your thoughts on it (and seeing those photos) I'm thinking I may have to put that on the "for our next visit" list!

Wow, those are some amazing shots of the Castle! So beautiful. And I've never really given much thought to Liberty Tree Tavern, but after hearing your thoughts on it (and seeing those photos) I'm thinking I may have to put that on the "for our next visit" list!
I'm actually quite sad that LTT will be closed for renovation when we are there (in less than 60 days). We're really trying to check out new restaurants for this trip though....still, I can't resist BOG!

So while we're here in Mexico, let's explore, shall we? Here are some shots inside and outside and also a couple from the ride, the Three Caballeros.

And on our way out:

Next it's to Soarin'! Yes, I take pictures in here too...but I think from now on I will just enjoy the ride instead of wasting time trying to capture it on my camera.

I thought we had ventured around the World Showcase at this point but I only have a few scattered photos so we must have lazed around. We took the Monorail but then must have hopped on the boat to MK.

And we're back inside MK.

On our way towards the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki room........we pass this lovely place. We will visit here later for breakfast!

This guy and many of his friends welcome us:

We go inside for an enchanting visit with some talking and singing birds:

WE walk outside and let our eyes adjust to the daylight and pass by the Magic Carpets of Aladdin. I have never done this ride before, fortunately the Camel doesn't spit at us and we are allowed passage:

Later tonight we will dine at BOG for dinner, see MSEP, another castle show, and the Wishes Dessert Party!

Quicky update!

I know it seems like all we will be doing this entire trip is eat....and that isn't a false statement. Being on the DxDDP is way too much food. On the plus side, it enabled us to have appetizer, entree, and dessert at each lunch/dinner so we were able to taste more food than otherwise feasible. Believe it or not, we did not gain any weight on this trip due to all the :tiptoe: I suppose!

Look where we are going for dinner:

At some point we checked in for dinner at BOG and were given this communication device:

At our table:

We chose to sit in the West Wing, mainly because I wanted to see the "show" when the last rose petal fell...thunder, lightning, portraits changing form, etc..... It IS dark in there, but not a terrible effect for dinner. Here are some photos of the inside of the WEst Wing. I tried getting pictures as the prince turned into the beast in the portrait but didn't have any luck.

We didn't get any alcoholic drinks even though this is the only restaurant where you can do so (as far as I know) in MK.....I did, however, get this purty thing because I am a child :rolleyes1

Signature Non-Alcoholic Drink-served in a light up Castle-themed souvenir goblet. $18.99 All-Natural Lemonade-sweetened with organic cane-juice and topped with a Wildberry foam.

Steve's appetizer:

French Onion Soup-topped with a crouton and Gruyere cheese $6.99

My appetizer:

Garden salad with champagne vinegarette $4.49

I know I am in the minority here but I wasn't crazy about the onion soup. I thought it was very thin (maybe that's what it was like back in 2012 but has improved since?).....my salad was a normal salad, nothing special but we try to get different menu items and none of the other appetizers would work for me.

For our entrees Steve got

Sauteed Shrimp and Scallops with seasonal vegetables in a puff pastry shell with a creamy lobster sauce $22.99

and mine:

Grilled strip steak-with garlic herb butter and pommes frites $29.99

I can't speak for the shellfish stuff because this girl is allergic in a bad way. I don't think he cared for the pastry part of the meal. I CAN speak for my meal. My steak was perfect. My fries were perfect. My green beans were the best I've ever had! I think they put crack on those pommes frites!

Dessert included cupcakes! Since we were celebrating our anniversary we also got some GREY STUFF, which I thoroughly enjoyed!

Our cupcake choices:

And what WE chose:

Chocolate cream puff-filled with chocolate mousse with whipped cream. AND I thought the other was a strawberry and lemon cupcake but I can't find the description of it! Both cupcakes, $3.99 ea.

That's it for now......more to come, including the Wishes Dessert Party and MSEP!

Last edited:
After our lovely BOG dinner we knew we should head towards Tomorrowland as the Tomorrowland Terrace is where our Wishes Dessert Party was located. While we were in the area (and it was somewhat early) we chose to ride the cars. Steve, being the baby of his family growing up, always rode with his dad on these types of rides so he enjoys them......

And Monster's Inc Laugh Floor....which I really enjoyed. During the dance part Steve got caught on camera.....and I giggled like a little school girl.

You can't tell but that's Steve in the red shirt up on the screen. I was laughing too hard and jiggled the camera so the picture is blurry.

I think someone told me I couldn't take pictures after that so I put the camera away. By now it was maybe 6:30pm or so and since we weren't sure how the Dessert Party worked we decided to go to the Tomorrowland Terrace and get in line. I knew that our table assignments were already made as they are done in the order you called in for reservations. I was on the phone the second they became available so I was hoping we'd be close to the railing. Once we were let in we had to find our table. It seems to me there should have been an easier way to do this and maybe there is now? Back in Dec 2012 the cost of the party was $25.99 but I understand now it's $49 a person! So let's go to the party! Check out the pics!

Lots of choices....coffee and hot chocolate in the back.

Rice crispy treats, brownies, vanilla cupcakes, and cookies.

Chocolate peanut butter tart, apple pie tart, cannoli, and chocolate covered strawberries

Chocolate mousse, Tiramisu, Classic Cheesecake

Top row, Creme brulee, banana creme tart,
Bottom row, Mango shooter, Lemon tart?, choc covered strawberries.

We lucked out with a first row table for 2. I can't believe I ate all that I did. Our BOG dinner was about 2 hours earlier but I managed to put away a bunch of this dessert. My favorites were the choc peanut butter tart, apple pie tart, mango shooter, and of course the strawberries! I'm so glad that we did this party as it was a great perspective for the castle show and Wishes. We even got a glimpse of MSEP from our area. I have more castle show pics and these are better than my first set earlier in this report.....so I'll include them here in a bit.

Notice my MM ears? They are lit up like a firework spray. Also notice the 7pm MSEP parade to the left in the background.

I'm going to need to resize the castle pictures otherwise this puppy is going to be a gazillion pages long and ain't nobody got time for that. More tomorrow!

Warning:
This post will be full of Main Street Electrical Parade photos......

Okay, I warned you! No descriptions, just photos.

I know some of those are out of order. For some reason my photobucket put my pics in a weird order :(

Next up, more castle pictures and Wishes!

I realize now MSEP was at 7 and 9pm on 12/12/12.....and our Wishes Dessert Party started at 7 with Wishes at 8pm. After the dessert party we made our way back to Main Street so we could get a good viewpoint of the Electrical Parade. We staked out a spot very near Casey's on the street. It was perfect! It was rainy off and on all evening so we were lucky to get to see the Electrical Parade at all! Pictures in next post of the castle show and the rest of our evening.

Last edited:
Are you tired of seeing Cinderella's Castle all gussied up? I'm not!

Then here's a blurry Tinkerbell....gosh this was back at the Dessert Party so I may or may not have already posted this one:

Fireworks (again, from Dessert Party)

On our way of of MK:

I love this one:

And these:

We make it back to PO Riverside very very tired. Since our building is very close to the lobby area we always get off the bus at that front stop and walk through the building, past the River Roost and past Boatwright's. Look who's doing his show as we walk through.......Yep, Yehaa Bob! We considered staying for the rest of the show but he was almost done and we were only able to see a few minutes of him. One of these days we'll go back for the whole show!

We fall fast asleep (this seems to be a continuing theme with us this trip)!

What's up next? For real we will have lots of Holiday Happenings at Epcot. We'll have breakfast with some princesses and a very late lunch at Le Cellier. What about dinner? Will we have dinner?

Today as Epcot day. We had the following ADRs:
  • breakfast at Akershus 8:05am
  • late lunch at LeCellier 2:15pm
  • dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse 7:40pm
As we learned, that would be a lot of food for one day and to make matters worse our 2:15 lunch ADRs were VERY behind schedule.

Let's go to breakfast, shall we? We arrive at the front gates to Epcot by 7:45am. I had never had pre-park ADRs anywhere before so I had never noticed this:

We got in line pretty early:

Steve waits in line while I take this:

Once inside I take a few pics to take advantage of no crowds

So we're entering Norway and we're hungry!

The area is decorated for the holidays and we learn later the stage on the right will be used by the Holiday Storyteller.

Sadly, at the time I didn't realize that Maelstrom would be closed for good before our next visit.

Panoramic using my iPhone app:

Inside our breakast location:

Restaurant Akershus's appearance is copied from it's namesake castle found in Oslo. Here's more of the inside:

And now to the food......I learned later that many breakfast's in Europe differ from ours here in the US. Lot's of cheese and cold cuts! The following is the food stuffs I found:

Here's the traditional Norwegian fare:

Our plates:

More in next post:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter