Well, my Oct waitlist came through, but it was very odd.

goofy4tink

No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator
So, I booked a somewhat last minute (5 months out) stay in mid-Oct. I figured I would be moving about a bit. I had checked and I could get 2 nights at Kidani, 1 night at WL, then would have to book a regular resort, paying cash. My dd is doing the DCP and that's her birthday, so I thought it might be nice to try to spend some time with her.
The DVC site was down, for over a day, so I ended up calling, to book what I could. MS checked everything, got the same results I did, until she checked BCV! She could get me the first two nights, and the last two nights at BCV! I was thrilled..said book it and stick me at WL for that one middle night. Great. So, I didn't think I would get that one night but wait listed anyway. I watched and watched.
Then, two days ago, I noticed that the WL stay was gone!! Joy oh joy!!! I don't have to move, for just 18 hrs basically. They hadn't combined the two stays but I figured that would happen shortly.
Well, yesterday, I notice that they had me checking into BCV on Monday, checking out on Wednesay..the same as if I had been moving to WL...and then checking into BCV on Thursday, checking out on Sat! What? Nothing for Wednesday night? Was I going to have to camp out in the lobby?

So I double checked the DVC site..yep, that's what that said as well. So I called them. The CM said that yes, it was good news, my wait list had come through. I said that's what I had thought, but I wasn't seeing a room for Wed night. She said that it would take a bit for it to show on MDE...but, I told her I was looking at the DVC site...future reservations!! She gasped and said, Oh, I see what you mean!!! She put me on hold, finally came back and told me I was all set and that she had me booked all the way through, under just one confirmation number. She apologized for the confusion (I didn't see it as confusion but more of an error on their part but didn't mention that!!), and asked if there was anything else, and to remember the survey at the end of the call.

So....I have to wonder what would have happened if I had shown up on that Monday to check in and have them tell me that they had me down for checking out on Wed and checking back in on Thurs!? That could have been an interesting conversation.

Is this a common occurrence? I've never had it happen before. Just curious.

To clarify - when you saw the waitlist was gone you also saw the actual new reservation for that one night?

I hope being able to put them all under 1 confirmation number is new and here to stay. We recently stayed 5 nights and had 3 separate reservations pieced together (all same resort, same room type, same season) We were told they had to be linked and could not be combined under 1 number. Needless to say, when we arrived, the middle night wasn't linked, the system was down and nothing could be done that night.
I was worried we would have to change rooms. All was resolved the next morning but we did get check-out bills emailed three times (under each of the reservations) because they were linked and not under 1 reservation number.

I hope being able to put them all under 1 confirmation number is new and here to stay. We recently stayed 5 nights and had 3 separate reservations pieced together (all same resort, same room type, same season) We were told they had to be linked and could not be combined under 1 number. Needless to say, when we arrived, the middle night wasn't linked, the system was down and nothing could be done that night.
I was worried we would have to change rooms. All was resolved the next morning but we did get check-out bills emailed three times (under each of the reservations) because they were linked and not under 1 reservation number.

It is not new. (did we have this conversation a week or two ago on another thread? Or was that someone else?)

Anyway. We often travel on reservations that I've pieced together. When I'm done I call and ask to have them merged (combined) into a single reservation. It has always been done. The last time was for an April trip. Feb before that. First time I ever had it done was back in 2009. I have had one CM along the way that didn't understand one of the terms I used - I think combined. Once I kept pressing then I was informed that what I really wanted was to Merge the reservation. Or might have been vice versa. :rolleyes: It was only the once - every other CM understood immediately.

It is not new. (did we have this conversation a week or two ago on another thread? Or was that someone else?)

Anyway. We often travel on reservations that I've pieced together. When I'm done I call and ask to have them merged (combined) into a single reservation. It has always been done. The last time was for an April trip. Feb before that. First time I ever had it done was back in 2009. I have had one CM along the way that didn't understand one of the terms I used - I think combined. Once I kept pressing then I was informed that what I really wanted was to Merge the reservation. Or might have been vice versa. :rolleyes: It was only the once - every other CM understood immediately.

It wasn't me but I just realized why mine had to be linked and couldn't be under 1 number - we used 2 different contracts. We will try to avoid that whenever possible because it was just another thing to have to worry about.

Waitlist processing may be done in steps or by more than one person. They may hold the new available inventory while canceling the old reservation. In the OP's case they didn't work the new until she called.

IMO less is more. Anytime you have to waitlist, transfer points, piece together a reservation, the greater the chance that things may go wrong.

:earsboy: Bill

To clarify - when you saw the waitlist was gone you also saw the actual new reservation for that one night?
Nope! I had nothing listed for the night of the 26th! Two days prior it had been 2 nights BCV, 1 night VWL, 2 nights BCVs. Then VWL just dropped, with nothing in its place. I waited a day or so, hoping it would rectify. It didn't. That's why I called.
That's when the CM said that the wait list had come through, and she was going to link the two reservations into one number.
I mentioned that there was no reservation for Wed, the 26th. 'Oh yes, there....oohhhh. Can I put you on hold for a moment?', and was gone. She came back, apologized for the 'confusion' and said that I now had all nights booked at BCVs! Under one number. Phew.

We are new to DVC, so pardon if this is an odd question. If you had three different confirmation numbers, would you get housekeeping at the beginning of each new 'stay'?

Nope! I had nothing listed for the night of the 26th! Two days prior it had been 2 nights BCV, 1 night VWL, 2 nights BCVs. Then VWL just dropped, with nothing in its place. I waited a day or so, hoping it would rectify. It didn't. That's why I called.
That's when the CM said that the wait list had come through, and she was going to link the two reservations into one number.
I mentioned that there was no reservation for Wed, the 26th. 'Oh yes, there....oohhhh. Can I put you on hold for a moment?', and was gone. She came back, apologized for the 'confusion' and said that I now had all nights booked at BCVs! Under one number. Phew.

Glad they fixed whatever the issue was!

We are new to DVC, so pardon if this is an odd question. If you had three different confirmation numbers, would you get housekeeping at the beginning of each new 'stay'?
Yes, but you also run the risk of being moved into a different room and it is also possible that you could be without a room from 11-4 (or later).

This trip was just 5 nights so we missed only 1 towel and trash day. Having said that, we decline any housekeeping no matter how long we stay. I prefer to do my own towel washing and we bring the garbage to the trash room daily, or every other day. I am a germaphobe and don't want anyone in the room once we get settled so that isn't an issue for us.

I don't recommend piecing a reservation together with 3 different reservations and contracts. It can definitely set you up for problems. Unfortunately, it was just the way our trip evolved so we needed to add on days. It all worked out fine but it was a pain.

FWIW, in the past we also would call and have them combined, or linked into one reservation. However, about a month ago a one night waitlist I had for Nov. 4 came through. When I went online to check it, it already was under one confirmation number, already linked together. Don't know if this is new, or if it just happened that the person (or machine, or whoever makes waitlists come through) knew what they were doing and automatically linked them together, so I did not have to call for this one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter