Welcome, Foolish Muggles! IoA/US/MK/SW *July 2013 Trip Report Link*

Sorry about my absence here and on everyone elses trip reports!!! It was an incredibly busy week, more so than most, with Ben involved in 3 separate plays: Pom Pom Zombies his middle school drama club play, he was King Midas at Greek Day at school (which I ran) and his upcoming role as Napoleon the dog in Aristocats.

Hoping to do a bit of catch-up in the next few days.

Ben's update with his tales from the water were hilarious! The "woman" who was 17. :lmao:

Does that Ariel in the stage production have both feet and fins? Hmmmm... nice try but I'm not buying it! :rotfl2:

I enjoyed Ben's story, too. It was surprising how confidently he pinpointed that "woman's" age.

Yes, Ariel has both legs and a tail. It appears she is part of our world, and hers, simultaneously.

Dee - A touch of Disney....how fun. Good for you - my family would have had the same response and think it is terrific you went to the show solo. Nice little Disney fix!

Rebecca

I was pleased that one of the shows was Disney-themed. It was well done. I am somewhat used to seeing shows solo- the only way I can enjoy Beauty & the Beast or Voyage of the Little Mermaid is alone, while the boys are at Indiana Jones.

I'm on my phone so I can't see your signature... Is this serving as your PTR for July or are you not doing one? Sorry I'm out of the loop but trying to get caught up :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'm on my phone so I can't see your signature... Is this serving as your PTR for July or are you not doing one? Sorry I'm out of the loop but trying to get caught up :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Nope, no PTR for my summer trip. No time to write one. I can barely keep up with the Beach Club FAQ and all of my trip report subscriptions.

Here is Cliffs Notes version:

Sat July 13- Fly from Manchester NH on Southwest, 7 am flight (glad to hear your great experiences with the employees)

Sat July 13-Tues July 16- Staying at Hard Rock Hotel, Universal

Tues July 16, after morning early entry at Wizarding World-car service to Disney bubble- check into Beach Club

Tues July 16- checkin, MK, EP, La Hacienda

Wed July 17- AK EMH, hop to HS, Lunch at Sci Fi, DTD, Dinner at T-Rex

Thurs July 18- MK EMH, hop to EP or go to resort pool, dinner with my friend Teena the Beach Club Greeter at Captain's Grille

Friday July 19 (27th wedding anniversary)- EP EMH, lunch Sunshine Seasons, afternoon??? resort pool? then MK and *** Wishes Dessert Party***
boys don't know yet that we have booked this!

Sat July 20 (we don't fly out until after 7 pm)- EMH at HS, hop to EP

So there you go. My PTR!!! :lmao:

I will definitely be doing a regular Trip Report, though!

ETA- Thanks for the question!!! You gave me incentive to get my butt in gear and share our plans with my friends!

Nope, no PTR for my summer trip. No time to write one. I can barely keep up with the Beach Club FAQ and all of my trip report subscriptions.

Here are the Cliffs Notes:

Sat July 13- Fly from Manchester NH on Southwest, 7 am flight (glad to hear your great experiences with the employees)

Sat July 13-Tues July 16- Staying at Hard Rock Hotel, Universal

Tues July 16, after morning early entry at Wizarding World-valet service to Disney bubble- check into Beach Club

Tues July 16- checkin, MK, EP, La Hacienda
Wed July 17- AK EMH, hop to HS, Lunch at Sci Fi, DTD, Dinner at T-Rex
Thurs July 18- MK EMH, hop to EP or go to resort pool, dinner with my friend Teena the Beach Club Greeter at Captain's Grille
Friday July 19 (27th wedding anniversary)- EP EMH, lunch Sunshine Seasons, afternoon??? resort pool? then MK and *** Wishes Dessert Party***
boys don't know yet that we have booked this!
Sat July 20 (we don't fly out until after 7 pm)- EMH at HS, hop to EP

So there you go. My PTR!!! :lmao:

I will definitely be doing a regular Trip Report, though!

Looks like you have great plans! Can't wait to read all about it. :)

We're doing the dessert party too!! For the first time the boys don't know either. :) yay for surprises

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Looks like you have great plans! Can't wait to read all about it. :)

We're doing the dessert party too!! For the first time the boys don't know either. :) yay for surprises

Hope all is going well with your family! Is school out yet? My boys don't get out until June 26!

You're trip is after mine, right?

I think we are going to have another fairly aggressive, commando trip!

I'm excited about the dessert party. I have never watched Wishes, so I am excited about that treat as well.

Looks like a packed trip Dee! Reminds me of mine 2 years ago. We spent 2 nights at HRH then over to the YC for 6 nights. We just loved the front of the line access at Universal. We think it's very worth it to stay on-site there (well at least for those busy times of the year)...and so easy and quick for hotel breaks. Next time I'd like to try the Royal Pacific resort!

Kerry

Love the Cliff Note version of the PTR! Looks like an amazing trip!!!

Amanda

We are very excited!!!

There's a lot of new things at US/IoA (Transformers, Simpsons area, Despicable Me), plus we didn't try Rip Ride Rocket last time but we plan to on this trip.

Mark and Ben haven't been to Disney, really, since 2010 (we had one day at MK in 2011) and the class trip Nate and I took was not really the way Dee Does Disney, so it is going to feel great to be back!

Looks like a packed trip Dee! Reminds me of mine 2 years ago. We spent 2 nights at HRH then over to the YC for 6 nights. We just loved the front of the line access at Universal. We think it's very worth it to stay on-site there (well at least for those busy times of the year)...and so easy and quick for hotel breaks. Next time I'd like to try the Royal Pacific resort!

Kerry

Can I tell you a secret???

I'm a little scared about the pacing of the trip.

We have an early flight to Florida, we will be starting out our 3 mornings at IoA/Wizarding World at the 7 am early opening and we plan some late nights. We will get a little break at Disney- we don't have to be at the parks until 8, but we have some late nights planned in our schedule.

And I'm not getting any younger!

I totally agree about the Express Pass at US- it is totally worth staying on site. I wouldn't do it any other way.

Any tips for the Hard Rock?

Have you guys seen the trailer for part two yet.

What do you think of it?

The boys have. They are really excited! Nate has started reading Lord of the Rings, in his spare time. He started it in Mexico, but with school and his dislike of reading, he put it aside. I think he will finish it this summer.

My husband recently read The Hobbit and is now on the LoTR series during his commute.

Ben wants all of the Hobbit/LoTR Legos sets (he has most of them so far), and they are all assembled and currently residing in our living room.

We are All Middle Earth, All the Time!

Actually, that's not true. Ben has also gotten into Dr Who and we had a Dr. Who/Hobbit themed birthday party for him in May.

Wow! Sounds like you are going to fit a lot into your trip! Looks like a good schedule though. Looking forward to your post-trip report :)

Hope all is going well with your family! Is school out yet? My boys don't get out until June 26!

You're trip is after mine, right?

I think we are going to have another fairly aggressive, commando trip!

I'm excited about the dessert party. I have never watched Wishes, so I am excited about that treat as well.

I cannot believe you have never watched Wishes!!!! Lol

Everything is going great with the condo and DH working in FL. We are in school until the 26th also UGH!!! :( I am so DONE and so are the kids. I have been babysitting for like weeks now. It's going to be a difficult next 9 days. I'm thinking movies and games. I'm not even looking forward to the field trip I have on Wed.

We leave for FL June 29th for the whole month of July!!!! I am so excited.

We got APs in April. Woohoo:)

What do you think of it?

The boys have. They are really excited! Nate has started reading Lord of the Rings, in his spare time. He started it in Mexico, but with school and his dislike of reading, he put it aside. I think he will finish it this summer.

My husband recently read The Hobbit and is now on the LoTR series during his commute.

Ben wants all of the Hobbit/LoTR Legos sets (he has most of them so far), and they are all assembled and currently residing in our living room.

We are All Middle Earth, All the Time!

Actually, that's not true. Ben has also gotten into Dr Who and we had a Dr. Who/Hobbit themed birthday party for him in May.

I'm actually really looking forward to it. Given Peter Jackson's track record with Lord of the rings, I think Tolkien fans are in good hands.

I've seen the Hobbit and Lord of the rings lego sets in the lego store and they look awesome I wish they had those when I was a kid. Is Ben into the Lego computer/ Playstation/ etc. games. As they have the one for the Lord of the Rings now and it is really funny and flows both the movies and the books really well.

I think Tolkien is one of the great authors and his works need to be savored at your leisure. I'm glad I never had to read them in school as I really didn't like how some of my High School English teachers treated reading books, I just can't read those ones or look at them the same way as one I want to read myself.

Wow! Sounds like you are going to fit a lot into your trip! Looks like a good schedule though. Looking forward to your post-trip report :)

Yes, it's a pretty aggressive schedule, but that's the way we like it!

Your plans look good. I'm sure the Wishes Dessert Party will be a hit!

Thanks for coming by to read, Glenn!

I cannot believe you have never watched Wishes!!!! Lol

Everything is going great with the condo and DH working in FL. We are in school until the 26th also UGH!!! :( I am so DONE and so are the kids. I have been babysitting for like weeks now. It's going to be a difficult next 9 days. I'm thinking movies and games. I'm not even looking forward to the field trip I have on Wed.

We leave for FL June 29th for the whole month of July!!!! I am so excited.

We got APs in April. Woohoo:)

I have lots of Disney secrets...:ssst:

Never watched Wishes (I did see Nightastic from the Poly beach), never had a burger or ice cream from Beaches & Cream, never had a Sunken Treasure at SAB.

I hope to remedy some of these failings on this trip!

Hang in there!!!

I'm actually really looking forward to it. Given Peter Jackson's track record with Lord of the rings, I think Tolkien fans are in good hands.

I've seen the Hobbit and Lord of the rings lego sets in the lego store and they look awesome I wish they had those when I was a kid. Is Ben into the Lego computer/ Playstation/ etc. games. As they have the one for the Lord of the Rings now and it is really funny and flows both the movies and the books really well.

I think Tolkien is one of the great authors and his works need to be savored at your leisure. I'm glad I never had to read them in school as I really didn't like how some of my High School English teachers treated reading books, I just can't read those ones or look at them the same way as one I want to read myself.

We have an xBox, and he has Lego Star Wars, Harry Potter and Batman, but he doesn't have the LotR game(s). He is not as into xBox as he was before.

We have been watching the movies a lot this past month. Ben likes to have the movies on while he builds!

Tolkien does have a great writing style and an amazing talent for creating magical worlds. I will be forever grateful that he taught Nate that books CAN be interesting!

sorry I peer pressured you into your sorta pre trip report pirate: but thanks for sharing :) You are so busy I don't know how you had time to plan all that. Looks jam packed but I know you and your family are up for the challenge. After all, you invented double triple mountain whammy! :rotfl2:

sorry I peer pressured you into your sorta pre trip report pirate: but thanks for sharing :) You are so busy I don't know how you had time to plan all that. Looks jam packed but I know you and your family are up for the challenge. After all, you invented double triple mountain whammy! :rotfl2:

Happy Father's Day to your husband!

No apologies necessary. I'm glad you made the suggestion!

Planning is the easy part. My husband, Ben and I LOVE talking Disney, so we are constantly discussing our plans and figuring out how we want to do things.

Dining was a little more difficult. Since the Disney portion of our trip is so short, we have limited dining opportunities, and we were way past our 180 window when we booked the trip. But we checked with the kids for their must-dos (Sci Fi, Kona breakfast and T-Rex) and we were able to fit those in. Mark really wants to try La Hacienda, so we have that. And dining with Teena was my must-do.

Convincing the family that we don't need the dining plan was a tough sell, but you get so much food at the meals, that we are already planning on splitting entrees or sharing desserts.

I was stalking the dessert party reservation board, and it so happens that I was working the morning that the end of July opened up, but I still was able to get a reservation when I got home.

:woohoo:

"You're going back AGAIN?!?"

"Why?"

We have all heard that before, probably more than once.

There are lots of answers to that question. Some can't even be explained. But the short answer is

"There is always something new to see or do!"

We last visited Universal/IoA in July 2011. During that trip, we had a one day visit to the Magic Kingdom. Our last family vacation to the World was in July 2010. An ETERNITY ago.

Of course, Nate and I had the class trip to Disney last June, three days in the parks, a trip different from any others we have taken.

So what are some of the things we will be experiencing for the first time in a month?

Universal Hard Rock Hotel-

We are trying a new resort. We loved staying on site last time (Portofino), but the resort was really not our cup of tea. It was a little upscale for our taste. The Hard Rock is definitely more our style and it is significantly closer to the two theme parks and City Walk.

I have pre-purchased Universal Photo Connect. Think... Photopass Plus for the Dark Side. For $40, you can get all ride photos and in-park photos (although a lot fewer opportunities than you find at Disney), I think in a 5 consecutive day period, so that will be great for our 3 1/2 day trip.

At Islands of Adventure:

I'm still not sure the kids will be interested in the Dr. Seuss stuff or Dr. Doom's Freefall, but even if they won't join us, I think Mark and I will check these out.

ETA: We didn't really do anything in the Lost Continent, so we may check out Poseidon's Adventure and/or Sinbad's Stunt Show. But no promises.

The Hulk and Spiderman- I only did these rides once each on the last trip. Ben did Spiderman once but didn't try Hulk. These will be sort of new to us.

Dining- we are excited to try Thunder Falls Terrace. It is counterservice, but it gets great review and it overlooks the Jurassic Park Adventure Ride drop. Cool!

:cool1:

Universal Studios-

There is a ton of new stuff here for us to experience!

The headliner is the new Transformers attraction, which is officially opening on Thursday.

The Simpsons area has expanded, with Moes Bar, a new food court area and more. We look forward to checking that out.

Despicable Me Minion Mayhem opened last year- Ill have to make some time to see the movie.

Rip Ride Rocket- we didnt try this on our last trip, but the ride is now eligible for the Express Pass, so no excuses. This is an extreme coaster where you get to pick the song you listen to during the ride. I have the list with the Hidden Tracks and I cant wait to roll and twist to The Rainbow Connection

Twister- a simulated tornado experience. We didnt try this last time. We may check it out this year.

I was really disappointed we didnt go to any of the highly recommended shows, especially the Horror Makeup show, so I am determined to see this.

We will miss Jaws, which closed last year. I guess the ride Jumped the Shark! :(

City Walk-

We will return to Bubba Gumps, one of our favorite meals on our last trip, and we are planning a meal at Margaritaville, which we shamefully missed last time.

:beach:

And at Disney&

The whole New Fantasy Land is new to us. Not sure if we will be able to lure the boys there, but hopefully we will get a chance to check some things out.

Test Track- this was closed last summer for Nate and me and we have not done this since 2010. Looking forward to checking out the changes (if the ride stays operational long enough)

Karamel Kuche- I made a short visit there last year, but Nate was not with me and Mark and Ben havent been, so this will be an awesome stop for our sweets-loving family.

***Wishes Dessert Party***
This will be completely new to us. In fact, we have never seen Wishes. We have seen some of the fireworks as we have headed out of the Magic Kingdom trying to avoid crowds, but never the actual show. Im really excited for this.

New dining- with less than 5 days in the Disney portion of our trip, we havent been able to fit in all of our favorite restaurants this time (Boma, Cape May Café), but we do have a reservation to try a new place: La Hacienda

At the Beach Club-

Although I spend a lot of my time managing the Yacht & Beach Club FAQ thread on the DIS, the truth is I have only had two previous stays and I missed out on a lot of the signature experiences there-

From Dees deep dark secret file- :ssst:

I have never personally been in the Solarium.
I have never had a Sunken Treasure in its natural habitat of Stormalong Bay!
And- I have never had a burger or ice cream from Beaches & Cream!

Lets see if I am able to remedy any or all of these travesties.

:banana::banana::banana:

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot- I'll also be sporting two new cameras on the trip.

I'll have my trusty Panasonic Lumix point & shoot, I purchased a Fuji Finepix XP60 for Ben to use and as a backup in case the Lumix dies AND I have my first DSLR, a Canon Rebel T3. I really need to practice with this camera and figure out when I will be using it. I have been reading teekathepony's excellent camera advice in her pre-trip report
What's the Catch-Do I not get bacon?

"Why?"

There are lots of answers to that question. Some can't even be explained. But the short answer is

This is what keeps Disney interesting to us - trying new things combined with old favorites.

We are trying a new resort. We loved staying on site last time (Portofino), but the resort was really not our cup of tea. It was a little upscale for our taste. The Hard Rock is definitely more our style and it is significantly closer to the two theme parks and City Walk.

Love trying new resorts. Can't wait to see your review. I'm always trying to talk my family into visiting the "dark side," but with little ones, everyone seems to think there is not enough to entertain them there.

Rip Ride Rocket- we didnt try this on our last trip, but the ride is now eligible for the Express Pass, so no excuses. This is an extreme coaster where you get to pick the song you listen to during the ride. I have the list with the Hidden Tracks and I cant wait to roll and twist to The Rainbow Connection

This sounds like so much fun!

Test Track- this was closed last summer for Nate and me and we have not done this since 2010. Looking forward to checking out the changes (if the ride stays operational long enough)

We are trying Test Track for the first time this summer.

Great list of things to try at BC this summer. I haven't done the last two either, although I definitely want to try a Sunken Treasure.

Sounds like a great trip with lots of new things to do/see. :)

"Why?"

We last visited Universal/IoA in July 2011. During that trip, we had a one day visit to the Magic Kingdom. Our last family vacation to the World was in July 2010. An ETERNITY ago.

Of course, Nate and I had the class trip to Disney last June, three days in the parks, a trip different from any others we have taken.

So what are some of the things we will be experiencing for the first time in a month?

Universal Hard Rock Hotel-

At Islands of Adventure:

I'm still not sure the kids will be interested in the Dr. Seuss stuff or Dr. Doom's Freefall, but even if they won't join us, I think Mark and I will check these out.

The Hulk and Spiderman- I only did these rides once each on the last trip. Ben did Spiderman once but didn't try Hulk. These will be sort of new to us.

Dining- we are excited to try Thunder Falls Terrace. It is counterservice, but it gets great review and it overlooks the Jurassic Park Adventure Ride drop. Cool!

:cool1:

Universal Studios-

There is a ton of new stuff here for us to experience!

The headliner is the new Transformers attraction, which is officially opening on Thursday.

The Simpsons area has expanded, with Moes Bar, a new food court area and more. We look forward to checking that out.

Despicable Me Minion Mayhem opened last year- Ill have to make some time to see the movie.

Twister- a simulated tornado experience. We didnt try this last time. We may check it out this year.

I was really disappointed we didnt go to any of the highly recommended shows, especially the Horror Makeup show, so I am determined to see this.

We will miss Jaws, which closed last year. I guess the ride Jumped the Shark! :(

City Walk-

We will return to Bubba Gumps, one of our favorite meals on our last trip, and we are planning a meal at Margaritaville, which we shamefully missed last time.

:beach:

And at Disney&

The whole New Fantasy Land is new to us. Not sure if we will be able to lure the boys there, but hopefully we will get a chance to check some things out.

Karamel Kuche- I made a short visit there last year, but Nate was not with me and Mark and Ben havent been, so this will be an awesome stop for our sweets-loving family.

***Wishes Dessert Party***
This will be completely new to us. In fact, we have never seen Wishes. We have seen some of the fireworks as we have headed out of the Magic Kingdom trying to avoid crowds, but never the actual show. Im really excited for this.

New dining- with less than 5 days in the Disney portion of our trip, we havent been able to fit in all of our favorite restaurants this time (Boma, Cape May Café), but we do have a reservation to try a new place: La Hacienda

At the Beach Club-

Although I spend a lot of my time managing the Yacht & Beach Club FAQ thread on the DIS, the truth is I have only had two previous stays and I missed out on a lot of the signature experiences there-

I am so sick of that question! And yes every year we return there is always something new to see or do. That's why we all love the place. Like I say- some people just don't get it.

So happy you're staying at Hard Rock. that is the only one we've stayed at and when I suggested another last yr. DH said no I'm good with HRH.

My DS16 is excited about Transformers.

Despicable Me is a really cute movie! Even though its not Disney.

We've eaten at that restaurant near Jurassic park it was good.

We were in line for like 45 min. For TT before it broke down. :( So yes I hope you make it on. We got anytime/ any day FP out of it though :)

Loved your deep dark secrets!

I leave in 12 days woohoo :)

Looking forward to a new trip report. I've enjoyed reading your previous ones. We're currently planning a Universal/Disney trip next year (haven't been to Uni since the late 90's) so I'll be carefully following along ;-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter