Weird thoughts from a data junkie

CaptDadSparrow

Mouseketeer
My head can be a scary place to be sometimes. I get random thoughts that tend to evolve into must have answers. One of those "curiosities" is.... I'd be curious to see a poll correlating income with points owned with a second data line comparing cash purchases vs financiers In both the direct and resale market.

Do people tend to overbuy or uner buy compared to thier income.

Told you my heads is a scary place. It's a work hazard alayzing search altos.

My head can be a scary place to be sometimes. I get random thoughts that tend to evolve into must have answers. One of those "curiosities" is.... I'd be curious to see a poll correlating income with points owned with a second data line comparing cash purchases vs financiers In both the direct and resale market.

DVC is like crack. You start up and you can't stop until something smacks you in the face and you sell off some of your contracts and decide never to buy any more.

It more a correlation of how much Koolade they needed to close the first sale.

I think that would be a very interesting poll, although I admit I am also a numbers/data junkie!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

As I rule I think those that do buy tend to overbuy in both the resort and the number of points but all approaches would be represented including those that didn't buy enough. I think it'd be very hard, and likely irrelevant, to compare to income because of variables in lifestyle, other debts, etc but far more relevant to compare to disposable income. Essentially I think it boils down to what % of people buy DVC that really could or couldn't reasonably afford it. You'll get all type of answers and often quite a bit of defensiveness when this issue comes up. Unfortunately I thing FAR too many buy DVC that can't really afford it. IMO if you can't pay cash, have other debts other than possibly a home and the yearly costs plus the other costs of using the DVC limit one's lifestyle otherwise, they likely can't afford it in my book. People buy things they can't afford all the time from houses, to cars and even eating out.

It more a correlation of how much Koolade they needed to close the first sale.
:lmao: True. ;)

I think it'd be very hard, and likely irrelevant, to compare to income because of variables in lifestyle, other debts, etc but far more relevant to compare to disposable income. Essentially I think it boils down to what % of people buy DVC that really could or couldn't reasonably afford it.
This was my first thought (because yes, OP, I do think it would be interesting!), too. I suspect I'm in the minority, but DVC can take up a fairly large part of my disposable income because I live within a 2 hour drive of WDW, so little cost to get there and ample opportunity to stretch points across multiple stays each year. I also think there'd need to be some consideration for family size; as a single parent of an only child, I spend less on food and entrance media than would a family of 4, not to mention spending on discretionary items and food outside of WDW... which frees up more disposable income for DVC. Fuzzy Circular Disney Math.

DVC is like crack. You start up and you can't stop until something smacks you in the face and you sell off some of your contracts and decide never to buy any more
.[:lmao:
Couldn't be more true!

Glad to know I'm not the only data nut. And yes lots of better variables to consider like family size and disposable income .

We may be in the minority, but we bought a great amount for our family. We researched for 5 years, before buying resale. We bought 200 for a family of 6. Although sometimes I wish we had more, but we were able to buy without financing and the dues are reasonable. We knew we only wanted to go every year and a half to every 2 years. We love WDW, but even with DVC it is expensive with tickets, airfare and meals. I think we went in with our eyes wide open, so our experience has been good. I understand how people get sucked in. We almost pulled the trigger on buying more points before the resale restrictions came into play. I'm so glad we didn't. I don't need the extra dues. We have 4 kids to put through college. Some day, we add on points. But right now, we will make do.

Another important factoid for your information would be the number of contracts currently up for resale as well as the number being turned back over to DVC. Although this alone would not give you the "reasons" why people are selling their contracts, you could base some assumptions on this info. For example, the likelihood of someone needing to sell their contract due to financial reasons would probably be more of a factor for a BLT, AKV, contract than for an OKW, BWV contract...

Stephen

Caren90 said:
For example, the likelihood of someone needing to sell their contract due to financial reasons would probably be more of a factor for a BLT, AKV, contract than for an OKW, BWV contract...

Stephen

Why because BLT is more expensive per point?

Because those are probably more recent, impulse purchases. Once they get home and figure out how much this is costing them, they realized they can't afford it and have to sell. Most OKW, SSR contracts are sold after the owner has owned them a long time and don't have financing to pay for.

Not necessarily for that reason, at least not directly. The reasons someone might be more likely to sell for some resorts over others include the initial purchase price total (BLT, VGC, Aulani), higher dues (VB), more recent purchase (BLT, VGC, Aulani), financed (BLT, VGC, Aulani), how long they've owned (poor decision, BLT, VGC, Aulani). The price per point is only applicable as it affects the total sale price and some of that price is reduced because the dues are less.

Because those are probably more recent, impulse purchases. Once they get home and figure out how much this is costing them, they realized they can't afford it and have to sell. Most OKW, SSR contracts are sold after the owner has owned them a long time and don't have financing to pay for.

Yes, this was my thinking exactly. I was also thinking that more recent purchases would also have higher number of buyers who took out loans and now they cannot continue the payments.

Stephen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter