Weird Question

jiminy1

Mouseketeer
Do any of you know if jelly (as in, peanut butter & jelly sandwich materials to save money on lunches at WDW) is okay to bring on an airplane in a carry-on bag? Jelly isn't fully a solid, but it's not really a liquid, either. I know I can just put the jelly jars in my suitcase and check them, but as they're in glass containers, I know they'd be protected better in a carry-on. I just don't know if I'll get up to security, and they'll make me throw them away. Anyone know? Thanks!

Are you renting a car?? If so I would just buy some before you got to the hotel. If you aren't renting a car there are several grocery stores down in Orlando/Kissimee that will deliver to hotel rooms

I wouldn't pack it in the carry-on. You never know how the TSA will react with things of questionable states.

I know Smuckers makes squeezable jelly in a plastic tub that could be packed into checked luggage. Or what about doing a COSTCO run and getting the little individual packets?

Jelly would still fall under the "3 oz liquids" limit. Also, the original container has to be 3 oz or less. For example, toothpaste cannot be a larger tube that only has 1/4 of original amount left. It would have to be a travel tube.

I would go with PP suggestions like the plastic squeeze bottles, or the individual tubs or packets.

Don't forget to put your peanut butter in your checked bag too-or they will take that too.

Last year, DS took a trip to Germany with his high school German class. The kids were encouraged to take Montana produced gifts for their hosts. I packed huckleberry jam for DS. Other kids took huckleberry products too and one girl packed both jam and syrup. I spent almost an hour packing the jams into a very padded box and put the box in DS' checked suitcase. At our local airport, they ran the suitcase thru xray and the jam showed up. They pulled it aside to open it. I told them it was jam and to please keep it intact so it would not break on the long trip. They insisted and told me everything would be "fine".

When DS came back home...he told us "the rest of the story". They had opened every suitcase that had what appeared to be a jar of jelly or jam in them. They put them back into the suitcases, without any of the packing materials they had been previously packed with. DS's clothes were fine. Some of the other kids who had packed huckleberry products weren't so lucky. One girl had had both syrup and jam break open and stain all of her clothes with the dark purple fruit.

In some cases, I think the airport security goes too far. If the suitcase is not over the weight limit, and they find the items packed are not a threat, they should leave things the way the owner has packed them.

If you chose to pack jelly, put them in a couple of zip lock bags (inside each other) and see if they will leave them like that. They would be able to see the product through the plastic and your clothing would be protected.

Don't forget to put your peanut butter in your checked bag too-or they will take that too.

That's a great point. Peanut butter seems far less "liquid-ish" than jelly, but I'll definitely take your advice. After all, I will be very, very upset if I have to relinquish my jar of peanut butter to the trash can at security!

I'm still trying to figure out why you would want to hassle with packing some and worrying about it at the airport?? When you could just buy some when you get there

I am pretty sure the Disney resorts sell small jars of peanut butter and jelly in the shops. They are higher priced that at home, but would save the worry of contents opening in flight.

They do make squeezable jelly that comes in a plastic squeezable container. If you are going to pack it in your suitcase, take some of that.

Last year, DS took a trip to Germany with his high school German class. The kids were encouraged to take Montana produced gifts for their hosts. I packed huckleberry jam for DS. Other kids took huckleberry products too and one girl packed both jam and syrup. I spent almost an hour packing the jams into a very padded box and put the box in DS' checked suitcase. At our local airport, they ran the suitcase thru xray and the jam showed up. They pulled it aside to open it. I told them it was jam and to please keep it intact so it would not break on the long trip. They insisted and told me everything would be "fine".

When DS came back home...he told us "the rest of the story". They had opened every suitcase that had what appeared to be a jar of jelly or jam in them. They put them back into the suitcases, without any of the packing materials they had been previously packed with. DS's clothes were fine. Some of the other kids who had packed huckleberry products weren't so lucky. One girl had had both syrup and jam break open and stain all of her clothes with the dark purple fruit.

In some cases, I think the airport security goes too far. If the suitcase is not over the weight limit, and they find the items packed are not a threat, they should leave things the way the owner has packed them.

If you chose to pack jelly, put them in a couple of zip lock bags (inside each other) and see if they will leave them like that. They would be able to see the product through the plastic and your clothing would be protected.

This makes me so mad...sometimes they do things just to go overboard !

I would get me a box together and mail it UPS to my resort with whatever I wanted and forget about the hassel.

Peanut butter and jelly both fall into the "gel" category. You will not be able to take them in your carry on.

I ALWAYS pack pb & j and take it into the parks for lunches. I've found the plastic squeeze bottles with the flip top lids work great. Pack them in a ziploc bag and voila! I've never had them burst in flight either.

I've read where peanut butter can cause the bomb detecting machines to go off. It is an allowed item in checked bags, but it may cause your baggage to receive some extra attention.

I ALWAYS pack pb & j and take it into the parks for lunches. I've found the plastic squeeze bottles with the flip top lids work great. Pack them in a ziploc bag and voila! I've never had them burst in flight either.

you wouldn't got those by security at BWI..... I almost had my food all confiscated (i didn't think a can of tuna and a sealed jar of peanut butter were WMD's; who knew:confused3 )

Luckily i had time to just check that bag.... Unfortunately i forgot to keep my protein powder stuff with me as carry on. Yeah TSA searched that bag. i had the Love Note inside it when i got off the plane.

I'm still trying to figure out why you would want to hassle with packing some and worrying about it at the airport?? When you could just buy some when you get there

Well, considering how many sandwiches I'll be making for my family, it's a heck of a lot cheaper for me to buy the sandwich materials at home and take them--not to mention, I doubt the stores at Disney sell reduced sugar peanut butter and a brand of jelly that doesn't use high fructose corn syrup. We're flying and then taking Magical Express--hence, no grocery store stop.

That is why I'm going through the "hassle" of packing lunch items. Honestly, I don't really consider it a hassle at all.

What about using www.wegoshop.com? I haven't ever used them, but I've read very positive reviews. They will shop where you want them to and they will buy the brands and sizes you want. I know there is a minimum purchase and a delivery fee, but you could also have them deliver bread (which would not travel well) and beverages too.

goofyforlife, I meant that I always pack them in my checked luggage.;) Sorry I didn't clarify that. We usually pack a lunch meat sandwich or bagel to eat on the plane due to the fact that I make my kids eat pb& j lunches for a week!:lmao: But, they know that's the way it is and if they want to spend time at Disney, that's it. They'll survive

What about using www.wegoshop.com? I haven't ever used them, but I've read very positive reviews. They will shop where you want them to and they will buy the brands and sizes you want. I know there is a minimum purchase and a delivery fee, but you could also have them deliver bread (which would not travel well) and beverages too.

Well, I've already purchased the items, so maybe I'll use your idea for our next trip. In the meantime, I'm just hoping my bread won't get too squished in my carry-on bag!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter