Weight Watchers...I'm a believer

It took me about 8 months to reach 100 lbs. I will admit though, I was pretty aggressive in the gym as well as following Weight Watchers. I stuck too it and didn't have any setbacks during my weight loss. It wasn't until I became a lifetime member and thinking I've got this down before I had any setbacks... At times, it was easier to lose the weight than to maintain it.

Thanks. Eventually you will get to a point of knowing where you want to land and what you want to weigh will become clearer. I also did not have a set goal in mind when I joined WW's; I kept going and eventually I knew my goal. I also understand and can relate to not wanting a picture taken; I hated my picture taken... Best of luck.

I have no doubt this will be the best year in your life. The power of determination and self will can be a pretty powerful thing. Good luck on hitting your goal! On second thought, it's not luck... You've got this!

Sorry OP, I won't hijack your thread anymore. :goodvibes

Again great job. hopefully someday I can post about my success weight lost and to keep it off

@goofy4prez - Just a question. I know people somewhat that come from families such as yours. Every family member extremely overweight. But yet I don't see these people eat a lot but something must be going on.

Based on your experience, do you think you family as a whole had much worse eating habits than most people or do you think there is some genetic predisposition to the weight gain (although in your case obviously thwarted be eating right)?

Dr just recommended low carb due to high blood sugar readings. Do you think WW would help with this?

I'm not sure, but I've been using the app - MyFitnessPal - that the OP mentioned and it does keep track of carbs in a pie chart. It's a good visual and I've been trying to get that piece of the pie smaller.

Dr just recommended low carb due to high blood sugar readings. Do you think WW would help with this?

Personally I think it would. Their new SmartPoints seem to be aimed at lowering refined carbs, increasing protein, and getting rid of added sugars. It won't be "low carb" but "lower carb" which is different. I think it's a great starting point.

My DH and one of my brothers joined Weight Watchers the summer of '12. I didn't join but to be supportive I kind of did the whole numbers thing. Well......by the end of that summer I had lost almost 20lbs! DH did pretty well, too. :)

@goofy4prez - Just a question. I know people somewhat that come from families such as yours. Every family member extremely overweight. But yet I don't see these people eat a lot but something must be going on.

Based on your experience, do you think you family as a whole had much worse eating habits than most people or do you think there is some genetic predisposition to the weight gain (although in your case obviously thwarted be eating right)?

Christine, thanks for asking and those are fair questions. In my family it certainly is about eating habits. My family would eat fried foods, processed foods, frozen pizza's, fast food, scoops and scoops of ice cream at one sitting, whole bags of chips and etc. We were also terrible about portion controls. Oh and exercise was not something done at all. We sat around and watched Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, All in the Family, and etc. And when Sylvania introduced their 19 color Superset with a wired remote control we were in our glory, we no longer had to get up and change the channel.

I know I'm sounding a bit humorous, perhaps facetious, but this was the truth. I know there are some out there fighting genetics, and yes others are blessed with great genetics when it comes to metabolism, but in most cases it starts with little Johnny and Sally eating chicken nuggets, french fries, pizza's, hot dogs, sugary juice, soda and etc without eating fruits, vegetables and lean proteins. Once they get older the cycle is not broken and those eating habits continue into their tween years right into their teen years and right into college and beyond. And it's getting worse. In addition, many young people these days don't play as they once did; they are on the computer, on social media, playing video games, texting and etc. Here is some interesting reading from the CDC.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyschools/obesity/facts.htm

• Childhood obesity has more than doubled in children and quadrupled in adolescents in the past 30 years.1, 2
  • The percentage of children aged 6–11 years in the United States who were obese increased from 7% in 1980 to nearly 18% in 2012. Similarly, the percentage of adolescents aged 12–19 years who were obese increased from 5% to nearly 21% over the same period.1, 2
  • In 2012, more than one third of children and adolescents were overweight or obese.1
  • Overweight is defined as having excess body weight for a particular height from fat, muscle, bone, water, or a combination of these factors.3Obesity is defined as having excess body fat.4
  • Overweight and obesity are the result of “caloric imbalance”—too few calories expended for the amount of calories consumed—and are affected by various genetic, behavioral, and environmental factors.5,6

You also mentioned it don't seem they eat a lot; for some who suffer with a genetic predisposition this may and is often very true. But for the vast majority it may not look like a lot, but it's what they chose to eat. Eating an apple is far better than eating dried apples... Eating an orange is far better than an 8 oz glass of orange juice. Eating two cups of green beans is much better than eating 2 cups of corn and etc. Being someone that was heavy and being from a family with obesity, I do not look down or in judgement to those who are struggling with weight issues. I have been there and do all I can to help others make good food choices, encourage them to exercise even if it's only a few minutes a day or just a walk.

Sorry for the long post. Weight Watchers has helped me look at myself and realize I can change and gave me the support to succeed. It taught me proper nutrition, proper portion control and gave me hope (and still does). When I was heavy I was always hungry, or at least thought I was. While I was losing weight and while I maintain it today, I rarely feel hungry.

Low carb is doable with WW, especially now that we're accounting for sugars. Stay away from bread, pasta & starchy veggies and you should be fine. Refined sugar is the problem for so many, but fruit sugars are good.

Christine, thanks for asking and those are fair questions. In my family it certainly is about eating habits. My family would eat fried foods, processed foods, frozen pizza's, fast food, scoops and scoops of ice cream at one sitting, whole bags of chips and etc. We were also terrible about portion controls. Oh and exercise was not something done at all. We sat around and watched Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, All in the Family, and etc. And when Sylvania introduced their 19 color Superset with a wired remote control we were in our glory, we no longer had to get up and change the channel.

I know I'm sounding a bit humorous, perhaps facetious, but this was the truth. I know there are some out there fighting genetics, and yes others are blessed with great genetics when it comes to metabolism, but in most cases it starts with little Johnny and Sally eating chicken nuggets, french fries, pizza's, hot dogs, sugary juice, soda and etc without eating fruits, vegetables and lean proteins. Once they get older the cycle is not broken and those eating habits continue into their tween years right into their teen years and right into college and beyond. And it's getting worse. In addition, many young people these days don't play as they once did; they are on the computer, on social media, playing video games, texting and etc. Here is some interesting reading from the CDC.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyschools/obesity/facts.htm

• Childhood obesity has more than doubled in children and quadrupled in adolescents in the past 30 years.1, 2
  • The percentage of children aged 6–11 years in the United States who were obese increased from 7% in 1980 to nearly 18% in 2012. Similarly, the percentage of adolescents aged 12–19 years who were obese increased from 5% to nearly 21% over the same period.1, 2
  • In 2012, more than one third of children and adolescents were overweight or obese.1
  • Overweight is defined as having excess body weight for a particular height from fat, muscle, bone, water, or a combination of these factors.3Obesity is defined as having excess body fat.4
  • Overweight and obesity are the result of “caloric imbalance”—too few calories expended for the amount of calories consumed—and are affected by various genetic, behavioral, and environmental factors.5,6

You also mentioned it don't seem they eat a lot; for some who suffer with a genetic predisposition this may and is often very true. But for the vast majority it may not look like a lot, but it's what they chose to eat. Eating an apple is far better than eating dried apples... Eating an orange is far better than an 8 oz glass of orange juice. Eating two cups of green beans is much better than eating 2 cups of corn and etc. Being someone that was heavy and being from a family with obesity, I do not look down or in judgement to those who are struggling with weight issues. I have been there and do all I can to help others make good food choices, encourage them to exercise even if it's only a few minutes a day or just a walk.

Sorry for the long post. Weight Watchers has helped me look at myself and realize I can change and gave me the support to succeed. It taught me proper nutrition, proper portion control and gave me hope (and still does). When I was heavy I was always hungry, or at least thought I was. While I was losing weight and while I maintain it today, I rarely feel hungry.

Thanks for your thoughtful answer. I have heard both types of stories (the first like yours), but frequently I have had them confide in me that they hardly eat anything yet are morbidly obese. It's hard to know what really goes on at home (possibly binge eating they don't admit to, who knows). I have an aunt (by marriage) that has been very obese since the 1960s. I have spent a lot of time with her and she doesn't really eat healthfully but not awful either (I think at this point, she's given up). But when I do see her eat, it is very small portions. The rest of her family (three children and a husband), are slight overweight, although not as children--they were fine. In her case, I think she does have some metabolic problem that no one has discovered.

America is getting fatter and fatter. Even in the us marines. When I was in the most I could weigh was 154. Now it's been up to 170 pounds for my height of 5'6. Probably because they couldn't get enough new people coming in that could meet the weight requirement. In years past it was no problem but today's kids weigh more than in prior generations. We all need to wake up myself included.

Great job to all of those who have lost weight!

Now, I am not personally a fan of weight watchers. It didn't work well for me. I'm not saying in any way that it is a bad plan, but I just didn't like the idea of dealing with points. Currently I am using My Fitness Pal and counting calories which allows me a lot of flexibility in what I am eating and I have lost 17 lbs since the beginning of December. Hopefully I can keep it up this time and not fall back to old habits like I have before.

Congratulations!!! I've had similar success on the Ideal Protein weight loss method. It's more akin to Jenny Craig because you do eat some of their food, but it's also similar to Adkins in that it's low carb. Since January 2nd, I've lost 24 lbs! I'm on track to be at my goal weight by late June. I find this protocol to be easy to follow and their food is actually good, unlike Nutrisystem which I tried years ago. I've not given Weight Watchers a shot, but I have friends doing it now and they love it! Keep up the good work all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter