Week long cruises, do you do laundry?

Another point to consider is how much laundry can you pay to have done for the price of hauling another suitcase? Shipboard laundry is fairly cheap...baggage fees for the airline keep going up (x2 for the roundtrip!). Add in the tips every time a porter touches your bag, etc.....add up fast. Add in the convenience of not having to haul another suitcase...less to put away and trip over in the cabin.....

I did laundry twice on our seven night cruise. I ran or went to the gym everyday and I didn't want gross, sweaty clothes in my suitcase. Plus I have little messy kids who love Mickey bars and playing in the sand. The machines weren't great but our room would have stunk if I didn't do any laundry!

Does anyone know of a floor plan that shows where the laundry facilities are on each floor of the ships? I tried looking at the plans here on the Dis but if they were marked, I coudln't spot them...

TIA.
If you go here: http://disneycruiselineblog.com/
and hover over "Cruise Planning" on the upper left, then hover over "Deck Plans" and click on which ship you want to see where the laundry rooms are, you find them.

When you have laundry done on the ships do they write your stateroom number on the tags with permanent ink like they do the dry cleaning?

We always do laundry on vacations that are more than 2 or 3 days. I can't stand to pack dirty clothes or bring home dirty clothes. Drives me crazy. I throw laundry in, set a timer, and go back...doesn't take much time. A lot of time I do it early in the mornings between showers and breakfast so that it really doesn't even interfere with our day.

Nope. We did 3 days at WDW and a 4/3 B2B and packed enough so we didn't have to wash anything.

Hi there,

Last year we did a three day dream cruise and barely had enough room to store all the clothes we brought. If we were on a week long cruise, I couldn't imagine having enough clean clothes for the week! Do people actually go the whole week without laundry, with a family of four in one small cruise room?

Thanks!

I don't do laundry on 7-night cruises. The only time I did was on a 15-night after a week at DL. I washed our clothes from CA on day 2 and had the place to myself. I pack an outfit for each person and a dinner outfit for each day as well.

I run everyday or twice a day. My do works out daily. My tween boys can really stink up their clothes so yes I do laundry. I really don't mind it.

Yes I do laundry on the cruise, I find it very satisfying to have most of our clothes clean. A good time is in the evening when the kids are winding down or sleeping.
I like doing laundry at home too, which probably makes me weird. Cooking - THAT's the chore I can't stand, which is why I love cruises :-).

I do laundry - Its a real treat for me as there are dryers on board - yes I think we are the only family in the world with no dryer! THAT is a real treat for me. Plus we head home back to New Zealand after our cruise as we make it the last part of the holiday - I am not luggin a family of four's dirty washing from one side of the world to the other!

We were just on the WBTA which lasted 14 days. We did laundry on the cruise. It was not bad at all. It cost a dollar a load to wash and a dollar to dry. I had brought little individual laundry packets thinking I would have saved money but it cost the same. The only thing I did like bringing was my own fabric sheets. If you are really adventurous, they also have an iron and ironing board. I saw a lady in the laundry room for about two hours ironing everything.

I only have once, when the kids were still little and there was an "accident." Otherwise I bring enough stuff. We drive to the port; if we lived where we had to fly I'd probably rethink the amount I bring.

We will be on the 9-night Norway cruise in June and will spend 3 pre-nights and 2 post-nights in Copenhagen plus 3 more nights in Stockholm, so I am planning on bringing enough clothes for about 9 days and doing laundry once on the cruise. I may even cut that down to 6 days of clothes and two laundry days - not sure yet - but I will definitely be doing laundry!

When you have laundry done on the ships do they write your stateroom number on the tags with permanent ink like they do the dry cleaning?

No, they did not. There is a bag you use in the room with a ticket. Our room steward made sure the bag was tightly closed and the ticket inside. I have not had an issue with missing items or anything like that. I am on the camp of let them wash it! We had a sick situation with too many chicken nuggets and ice cream cones once. (DSL went crazy over the "free food"). I preferred someone else doing that rather than mess up a washing machine for the masses. I found it was not too bad. Since then, I pack fewer clothes and just make sure I have enough to go home in.

No, they did not. There is a bag you use in the room with a ticket. Our room steward made sure the bag was tightly closed and the ticket inside. I have not had an issue with missing items or anything like that. I am on the camp of let them wash it! We had a sick situation with too many chicken nuggets and ice cream cones once. (DSL went crazy over the "free food"). I preferred someone else doing that rather than mess up a washing machine for the masses. I found it was not too bad. Since then, I pack fewer clothes and just make sure I have enough to go home in.
Good to hear. I never used to hesitate to send my clothes for dry cleaning on the ships because it's not unreasonably priced at all. A lot of my expensive clothes that I take really gentle care of I just dry clean. But then I discovered everything I had sent for dry cleaning over 3 cruises on 3 of Disney's ships had been written on. On the tags. I knew it was 3 ships because my stateroom numbers from previous cruises were crossed out with the new number written underneath. All permanent black ink. When I have dry cleaning in the future I will specify NOT to write on my clothes and probably request to speak with the laundry services manager personally. ;)

I do laundry - Its a real treat for me as there are dryers on board - yes I think we are the only family in the world with no dryer! THAT is a real treat for me. Plus we head home back to New Zealand after our cruise as we make it the last part of the holiday - I am not luggin a family of four's dirty washing from one side of the world to the other!

LOL I feel you. One year our washer died...followed closely by the dryer. With no money to replace either, for about 4 months I did ALL our laundry in the basement sink...by hand...and hung lines all over the basement and hung everything out to dry the old fashioned way!

And in PR when I was little we didn't have dryers - we hung everything outside. Made everything smell so fresh...without chemicals *sigh*

Whoa, back up... I can pay for someone to do this for me on the ship? Seriously???!?!??!?! That might be worth more to me than the alcohol...might. Where do I find this information?
I am not sure how current this ticket is...but here is an idea.

4b66c6682d781ebe7ff2cd81b2e490da.jpg

Hi there,

Last year we did a three day dream cruise and barely had enough room to store all the clothes we brought. If we were on a week long cruise, I couldn't imagine having enough clean clothes for the week! Do people actually go the whole week without laundry, with a family of four in one small cruise room?

Thanks!

We did a 3-day/4-day back-to-back 2 years ago and that was the first time we ever did laundry. Normally, we bring enough clothes for the full week. Very few people do laundry on the ship, so it can go pretty quickly as you can use multiple machines simultaneously.

Our 7-night cruise was part of a 15-night land and sea trip, and we only did laundry a few days before we got on the ship at WDW (night 7 to be exact). This lasted us through the cruise, including changing outfits for dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter