Week at Walt Disney World? More Like Weekend at Bernie's: A July '12 TR COMPLETE 5/23

JULY 7TH PART SEVEN: How The Trip Report Got Its Name
After wrapping up at ‘Ohana, we headed out to the beach for fireworks.

It was only a little after 8:00 and the sun still hadn’t set, but, after that deliciously filling meal, just chillin’ on the beach was totally cool with us.

While passing through the pool area, we just had to stop and watch a group of ducks playing in the kid’s spray-splash-thingy.

DSCN5574.jpg

114.jpg

They would stick their heads into the streams of water, frantically flap their wings every which way, slightly leave the ground thanks to the wing-flap, quack, and then repeat.

It was adorable.

And that means something coming from me, a known bird-hater.

After laughing at the ducks, we left them behind only to encounter more ducks in the grass in front of the Hawaii longhouse.

DSCN5576.jpg

These ducks had befriended a pair of bunnies so the adorable was off the charts. All this photo needs is a puppy, a kitten, a baby dolphin, two more kittens, and Ryan Gosling, and I could have broken the internet.

Anyway…BEACH!

DSCN5575.jpg

We found four chairs and settled in.

As you can see, I was quick to make myself comfortable.
DSCN5581.jpg

I really wanted to spend some time in MY hammock (the one that runs parallel to Sunset Point closest to the lagoon) but it was occupied. Boo.

I absolutely love the Polynesian’s beach. I could spend countless hours out there just contemplating life. In fact, I have spent countless hours out there just contemplating life. With waves gently crashing onto the shore, boats shuttling people back and forth to the MK, noise from the pool, and the occasional train whistle, you’re lulled into a perfect state of calm. It is Disney nirvana and nothing is better.

Also, the fact that, with minimal head movement, you can see all of this really doesn’t hurt.
DSCN5582.jpg

118.jpg

121.jpg

119.jpg

120.jpg

DSCN5578.jpg

As more and more people came out, the HUGE group of ducks that was sleeping under chairs further down the beach woke up. It was terrifying. While adorable when playing in fountains, ducks are not so adorable when kids start chasing them around and they run around you/right under your chair in large numbers.

DSCN5585.jpg

DSCN5584.jpg

You can see all the footprints they left in the sand. It was like a duck highway and it was so gross.

Fortunately, not even ducks could ruin my Disney nirvana. I was not only calm, I was food drunk.

My friend Lia (__disneygirl) coined this term a while back for those times when you’ve just eaten and, even without consuming any alcohol, you’re still three sheets to the wind. This was one of those times. For all of us. My entire family was food drunk. To outsiders, we probably looked/sounded like we downed about six Lapu Lapus each. There was so much hilarious commentary, so many stupid jokes, and, most importantly, so much laughter.

In her state of food-drunkenness, Mom decided she wanted to take pictures of us. I’m not posting these pictures because they’re terrible, but she took them. She grabbed Dad’s camera, got right up, and started with Dad and Katie. Then, she looked to me and said “OK, Kara, one of you. Just you.” I was not feeling picture time, so I put on one of my patented “Really? Do we have to?” faces as she snapped away.

Satisfied with her work, she gave the camera back to Dad and we all went back to laughing at the people around us and doing our best impressions of the Splash Mountain breakdown spiel.

Fifteen minutes later, Dad decided to look through the pictures on his camera and seemingly randomly yells out “WHAT IS THIS? I look like the dead guy from that movie!”

He found this.
116.jpg

It’s not quite as funny now with the picture full sized, but, as food-drunks staring at this picture on the little screen on Dad’s camera, we were dying. I immediately yell “WEEKEND AT BERNIE’S!” and completely crack up. There were tears, people. Tears from laughing so hard. The thing we all found especially funny is that Dad wasn’t even asleep. He was mid-conversation with Katie when these pictures were taken. Mom just managed to inadvertently capture the perfect shot. Amazing.

Eventually we got our laughter under control. Then it was time for the Electrical Water Pageant aka The Absolute Best Thing to See While Food Drunk.

Disney can be an incredibly cheesy place, but I don’t think there’s anything cheesier than the good old EWP. It’s reeeeaaaaalllllly lame and I love it for that.

Also, I will never forget its cameo in the background of this clip from Mickey’s Fun Songs: Beach Party at Walt Disney World. Aladdin and Jasmine sing “Slicin’ Sand”. I think I’ve mentioned this in like all of my TRs, but that VHS tape is pretty much my childhood. As annoying as I’m now finding her, I wanted to be that girl in the red overalls. In the context of all the sing-alongs, she had a younger sister (possibly also in real-life IDK I don’t know these kids’ business), so Katie and I used to play them when we danced around our living room.

But yeah. Electrical Water Pageant. If you haven’t seen it, fix that.

127.jpg

It stars the mysterious sea serpent from POFQ. And a crocodile that we’re never supposed to smile at, nor tip our hats and stop to talk awhile. And a super friendly-looking octopus that inexplicably dances to “Poor Unfortunate Souls.” And there’s so much patriotism, you guys. So much. You can just stick a feather in its cap and call it macaroni.

The EWP happened at 9, so we had a little under an hour to wait before Wishes. The Magic, The Memories, and You happened at some point in there, but they didn’t play the music and everyone on the beach was talking over it, so it wasn’t really that exciting. Don’t get me wrong, I added my own soundtrack because I can’t not take advantage of an opportunity to “OPEN UP [MY] HEART AND LET THE MEMORIES BEEEEEEGIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNN” but it just wasn’t quite so cool from afar.

They do pipe the Wishes music in at the Polynesian, so I wasn’t forced to provide that soundtrack. A woman behind us didn’t get that memo though and blessed us all with her own take. It was entertaining. Also bad.

If you’re going to sing so loud that everyone on the beach can hear you, at least get the words right. Jeez.

130.jpg

135.jpg

139.jpg

140.jpg

141.jpg

After Wishes, we booked it to the car, back to POFQ, and to bed.

The Mania was calling. And that meant we were in for an early morning.

Gotta get those worms, y'all.

:upsidedow

Oh my lord, I don't even know what to say. :lmao: I just died laughing at that picture of your dad and I'm not even food drunk. It killed me. I'm one of the grim grinning ghosts now. HAPPY HALLOWEEN.

Hahah! That picture of your dad? Cuh-la-sic! I kept wondering where your TR title came from! I LOVE it!!!!! Fabulous evening!

The picture of your Dad is still super funny and I love that he thought of that movie, because that is exactly what he looked like. Minus the hat and sunglasses of course. Good thing he was just blinking and you didn't have carry him around with you all week like the boys did in that movie.

I love the EWP !!! LOVE :love: It is so cheesy and cheerful and happy. I try to see it whenever I can. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Oh my lord, I don't even know what to say. :lmao: I just died laughing at that picture of your dad and I'm not even food drunk. It killed me. I'm one of the grim grinning ghosts now. HAPPY HALLOWEEN.
:rotfl: When the crypt doors creak and the tombstones quake...
Hahah! That picture of your dad? Cun-la-sic! I kept wondering where your TR title came from! I LOVE it!!!!! Fabulous evening!
I am so glad other people are finding this funny and it wasn't just us! I was afraid everyone would think we're a bunch of weirdos. Which we are, but still. :laughing:
The picture of your Dad is still super funny and I love that he thought of that movie, because that is exactly what he looked like. Minus the hat and sunglasses of course. Good thing he was just blinking and you didn't have carry him around with you all week like the boys did in that movie.

I love the EWP !!! LOVE :love: It is so cheesy and cheerful and happy. I try to see it whenever I can. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
I thought about making him pose for pictures like that for the rest of the trip, but we never would have been able to recapture the "magic" of the first one. It's too perfect.

Exactly! The EWP never fails to leave me smiling. :goodvibes

Ok, I am going to be laughing at this whole Weekend at Bernie's thing forever. THAT IS TOO HILARIOUS.

You wrote these updates so well. I mean, as usual. But I totally knew how you guys were feeling. I myself was food drunk on the Polynesian beach a week and a half ago and maybe I made a scene, maybe not... you'll just have to wait for my TR. But you really captured that hilarious feeling here! That picture of your dad is just priceless, oh my god. :rotfl:

Ohmygosh... this update was amazing!!! I could almost picture myself on the beach tear-laughing with you guys! :goodvibes And ahh... for a little Disney nirvana right about now... pixiedust:

The Ohana bread pudding recipe is SUPER easy. Like ridiculously, super easy. You can get the recipe (as I'm sure you know ;)) on Allears. :thumbsup2

So many ducks! Disney is just like duck city these days! Especially the Poly, they seem to gravitate towards it.

Ahhhh your dad is too funny!!! That photo is priceless:rotfl2:
I really hope that is on the mantel, or the fridge... or somewhere very visible in a frame!

I am the same, I get really put off when someone is in MY hammock haha it's ok, it is a different one to yours.

Ahhhh watching the electrical water pageant and wishes from the poly. Sooooo wonderful :goodvibes

Ok, I am going to be laughing at this whole Weekend at Bernie's thing forever. THAT IS TOO HILARIOUS.

You wrote these updates so well. I mean, as usual. But I totally knew how you guys were feeling. I myself was food drunk on the Polynesian beach a week and a half ago and maybe I made a scene, maybe not... you'll just have to wait for my TR. But you really captured that hilarious feeling here! That picture of your dad is just priceless, oh my god. :rotfl:
Thanks! I'm glad I could capture the hilarity. It was definitely one of those nights...
Ohmygosh... this update was amazing!!! I could almost picture myself on the beach tear-laughing with you guys! :goodvibes And ahh... for a little Disney nirvana right about now... pixiedust:

The Ohana bread pudding recipe is SUPER easy. Like ridiculously, super easy. You can get the recipe (as I'm sure you know ;)) on Allears. :thumbsup2
Right? I could really go for some Disney nirvana right now. ::yes::

Score! I'm all about simple recipes. I've always been hesitant to try Disney recipes because biting into something expecting Disney and instead tasting something not Disney would be awful. But, since it's easy, I'll have to give it a try. :thumbsup2
So many ducks! Disney is just like duck city these days! Especially the Poly, they seem to gravitate towards it.

Ahhhh your dad is too funny!!! That photo is priceless:rotfl2:
I really hope that is on the mantel, or the fridge... or somewhere very visible in a frame!

I am the same, I get really put off when someone is in MY hammock haha it's ok, it is a different one to yours.

Ahhhh watching the electrical water pageant and wishes from the poly. Sooooo wonderful :goodvibes
Yeah, the number of ducks at the Polynesian was CRAZY. Not good for someone with a bird phobia. But, I mean, if I were a duck, I'd totally wanna live there too, so I can't even be mad about it lol.

Y'know, it's not on the mantel or the fridge yet, but it absolutely should be. It'd make a good Christmas present...

Phew. I'm glad we don't have to fight over a hammock. :rotfl:

JULY 8TH PART ONE: You're Clear to Break Plates
Our third day at Walt Disney World began early. Very, very early.

As regular try-our-best-to-make-it-to-the-parks-in-time-for-rope-drop people, we're used to being up fairly early, but this was even earlier than that. We were up early enough to be out of the room and on our way to the parks by 7:30.

"Why?" you ask. Three words: Toy Story Mania.

As you may or may not know, I am madly in love with that ride. A lot of people think it's over-rated, but I am not one of those people. The hoopla is totally warranted. Yeah, it's wait times are ridiculous, but I totally understand why they are the way they are. That ride is just plain fun.

Which is why we were up and out so early.

The Studios does (or at least did during the summer) a kind of rolling opening where they open the park and start letting people in before the regularly scheduled time. This way, the turnstiles serve as a filter and the mad dash to TSM is a lot less mad. Just about anything is better than a giant mob of people jogging toward a ride, but this is a lot better.

In order to take full advantage, I decided/demanded that we be some of the first people into the park. Hence the whole waking up at the crack of dawn thing.

I also decided/demanded that we drive over. I was not about to risk letting Disney transportation ruin my plan. I mean, I think we have all experienced first-hand just how unreliable it can be. Not that it's regularly unreliable, but the potential for unreliability is there.

So we piled into the car and drove to the Studios. Ours was one of the first cars in the lot, so my plan worked flawlessly. Got ya there, Disney. Cue the maniacal laughter.

Since we were the only people going through it, bag check was a breeze. Then we headed right on up to the turnstiles.

There was only one other family there waiting. I was half-tempted to go over to commend them for their excellent decision making, but I thought that'd be weird. I didn't want to seem like a total creep. Ha.

MICKEY MOUSE!

Here's my view into the empty (aside from the CMs) park:

And here's (a terrible cell phone pic of) me super pumped to be first in line:

OK, I really don't look pumped at all, but I promise I was. I just didn't really figure the boredom aspect of standing in line at a turnstile for an hour into my plan. It was bad. But totally worth it.

As we inched closer to park opening, more people joined us early arrivers. A tour group lined up right behind us which made me feel strangely powerful. I should have grabbed their inflatable guide stick thing and led them around in circles all day or something.

Around 8:30, the cast members who man the turnstiles started to come out and program the machines or whatever. I don't know. They were typing seemingly important stuff into the keypads.

While they were entering the super secret codes, a manager noticed the birthday button on my bag and decided it would be fun to guess how old I had just turned.

After looking me over, he guessed 18.

I'm 22.

I didn't know whether to feel offended or flattered. Looking young is something that's going to be super beneficial years from now, but right now it's just kind of annoying. I mean, I can buy booze, y'all. SEE ME AS OLD!

Anyway, the turnstiles opened around 8:45 and off to Toy Story Mania we went. I volunteered to run ahead and grab FastPasses. In addition to TSM, I'm also quite the racewalking fan. By quite I mean I watch it every four years during the Olympics to laugh at the coverage and yell "HE'S RUNNING! GIVE HIM A RED CARD!" at the TV, but, let's be real, in the racewalking world, that's a big fan.

So I (along with a couple other people) got my racewalk on. We heel-toed it through Hollywood Blvd, down the stairs by Little Mermaid (I almost tripped...it was not pretty), and right on into the FP corral. Cast Members were on hand to do the actual inserting of the ticket and retrieving of the FastPass (and to remind us that the FP windows are now enforced), so I just stood there awkwardly. Am I the only one who'd rather just do it myself? The risk of dropping everything as you maneuver tickets/FPs from hand-to-hand and into/out of the machine is what makes life exciting.

My family caught up with me as I was leaving the FP corral. We headed over to the ride and saw this beautiful sight:

Everybody loves a walk-on.

The emptiness... Doesnt it just bring a tear to your eye?

Well, there are a few people up there, but still...two hours later and we would have been all up on them in a 75 minute line with some kid inevitably swinging on the railing and kicking his little kid feet every which way (and right into everyone around him) like a breakdance battle gone bad.

This was much preferable.

After a quick trip up and down the stairs, we piled into the vehicle, donned our 3D glasses, and headed off into a world of egg tossing, plate-breaking fun.

I scored 154,500. I wasn't thrilled with that score, but, for my first ride of the trip, it wasnt horrible. I was the best in vehicle.

My goal for this trip was to FINALLY break 200,000 points. Would I do it? You'll just have to wait and see.

After Ride #1, Mom and Katie headed off to ride Tower of Terror, but Dad and I got right back in line. The wait time was listed as 15 minutes, but it was still a walk-on.

K is for king and also for Kara. Diamonds are also for Kara in that you should give them to me.

Fellow Americans, why aren't we all out searching for Evil!Mr. Potatohead? That $50 Bzillion reward would solve our debt problem!

I'm not sure what happened to Rex's arms, but I'm concerned for the guy. A little too much Partysaurus maybe?

Someday I will build my children a playroom that looks just like this. Or a Tinkertoy and mini Christmas lights model because thats all I'll be able to afford.

My score on Ride #2 was 169,700. Still not 200,000, but getting there.

Plus, I beat Dad again which is really all that matters. :upsidedow

This post was awesome. Good work.

I made my Mom get up super early when we went to Disneyland. We were the first at the gate. And we practically had Fantasyland to ourselves for the first hour. It was amazing. And yes, I felt powerful.

And trust me: you want to look young. When I was 20 someone thought I was 30.

I love the seriousness of Toy Story Mania. I'm just glad that you understand how important it is. :thumbsup2 KEEP SHOOTIN', BUCKAROOS!

THIS POST.

This post is such a thing of beauty, I really can't even think right now. Even I have not gotten there THAT early. This shows a level of dedication that I am in awe of. Waiting at the turnstiles for an hour? I do not have the nerves for this. I wasn't even apart of the first group the CMs walk through the line with in the morning on my most recent trip. Shame.

I AM NOT YOUR MOTHER. BREAK THOSE PLATES! SIR YES SIR!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

And wait, people think Toy Story Mania is OVERRATED? It's underrated. Because it's just THAT AMAZING that even though the wait is usually 90 minutes by 8:31 AM, I feel still people aren't fully appreciating this masterpiece of a ride.

This post was awesome. Good work.

I made my Mom get up super early when we went to Disneyland. We were the first at the gate. And we practically had Fantasyland to ourselves for the first hour. It was amazing. And yes, I felt powerful.

And trust me: you want to look young. When I was 20 someone thought I was 30.
That's awesome! I love feeling like I've got the park to myself. I just don't get to feel it very often considering we almost always go during the summer. Ha.

Aww. I think we should just assume we have always looked our ages and the people who guess way off just have bad eyesight or something. It's not us, it's them. :thumbsup2
I love the seriousness of Toy Story Mania. I'm just glad that you understand how important it is. :thumbsup2 KEEP SHOOTIN', BUCKAROOS!
Toy Story Mania is a very serious thing. I don't understand people who don't feel that way. What do they think it is? Just a ride? It's so much more than that. It's a lifestyle. :upsidedow
THIS POST.

This post is such a thing of beauty, I really can't even think right now. Even I have not gotten there THAT early. This shows a level of dedication that I am in awe of. Waiting at the turnstiles for an hour? I do not have the nerves for this. I wasn't even apart of the first group the CMs walk through the line with in the morning on my most recent trip. Shame.

I AM NOT YOUR MOTHER. BREAK THOSE PLATES! SIR YES SIR!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

And wait, people think Toy Story Mania is OVERRATED? It's underrated. Because it's just THAT AMAZING that even though the wait is usually 90 minutes by 8:31 AM, I feel still people aren't fully appreciating this masterpiece of a ride.
Thank you, thank you! That's just the kind of person I am. Always reaching for new levels of dedication.

Right? How do we convince those people to "get it"? Do we even want them to? More people "getting it" would make the lines even worse, which would mean less rides for us...NEVER MIND EVERYBODY. TSM IS AWFUL. DON'T RIDE IT EVER. IF YOU'RE READING THIS AND YOU'RE IN LINE FOR TSM, TURN RIGHT AROUND AND GO STARE AT THE CONSTRUCTION WALLS OUTSIDE OF THE PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN WALK THROUGH THING BECAUSE THAT'S WAY MORE EXCITING THAN THIS RIDE. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME ON MEDIOCRITY.

;)

A tour group lined up right behind us which made me feel strangely powerful. I should have grabbed their inflatable guide stick thing and led them around in circles all day or something.

Please act on that instinct next time you're in that situation! Please!:rotfl:

Don't worry you're not the only one who finds the CMS doing the fastpass a bit awkward and anticlimactic.

It's so funny when people say TSM is overrated! Is air also overrated sir? How about life??

That $50 Bzillion reward would solve our debt problem!
Seriously! Clearly Obama hasn't ridden TSM lately or he would have figured that out!

If everyone understood the significance and overall wonder that is Toy Story Midway Mania, the world would be a better place.

Scratch that. The line would be like 10 times longer than it already is.

Your dedication to TSM is downright IMPRESSIVE. I have tried to make it to DHS super early, but to be the first in line at a turnstile?!? :worship:

Also, I totally feel you on the looking younger thing. A couple of weeks ago, one of my coworkers asked me what high school I was going to. I'm 25.

The sight of the TSM queue empty (or close to empty) is so beautiful and rare! I've actually never gone in the standby line (I have no patience to wait 90 minutes for anything, even TSM), so some of it is brand new to me.

I really hope you break 200,000!

Hey! Long time no talk! I have been gone from the DIS for way too long. Just wanted you to know I started my honeymoon TR!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter