We need to vent - no flames please.

If you have a copy of your reservation that says 9A on it, I'd bring that with you to port when you check in. When they tell you the room, just say "Is that a 9A room?" Perhaps the person at check-in will realize the mistake of room classification and fix it on the spot for you.
Have a wonderful cruise!

While I agree that no one should be given a lower category than they booked, I don't believe anyone is entitled to an upgrade, no matter how many cruises they've been on. Upgrades are just the luck of the draw. I've never gotten one and don't ever expect to. When I hear about someone getting an upgrade and they've been on fewer cruises than I have, I don't get upset, I'm happy for them.

I agree with you, and "entitled" is the key word.

OP....I'd be concentrating a LOT more on the fact that they placed you in a lower category room, than trying to get them to upgraded you, or even mentioning it to them. From what I've discovered everywhere, resorts, cruises, doesn't matter...if they get someone calling and asking about an upgrading, or mentioning that "other people get them", they're more likely to drop you to the bottom of the bucket.
No one here, in all the years I've been on the DIS, has EVER figured out they "whys" and "hows" of upgrades.

But I would DEFINITELY be all over them for putting you in a lower category than what you paid for.

When did they change the categories, by the way? Didn't they originally only have a Category 9A and a Category 9B? And now they have C and D? :confused3

justmestace said:
On DCL's website, it DOES say (in reference to GTY) that they will EITHER place you in a room in the SAME category, or a higher one. I didn't know it said that....and it's kind of tricky writing it that way. The way I read it, they mean any room within the "9" catergory, as in the case of the OP.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/site-help/reservations-booking/choose-stateroom/

I think thats a little shady seeing as for example I booked a cat 6B over a Cat 6A because it was cheaper both were GTY rooms. So if I paid for a 6A I would have expected at least that level. When booking it says something about you are guaranteed the cat you pick most people must assume it means the level and cat. It also doesn't say there is restrictions on Gty if that's what you book you get what you get and they wont change the room even if you get a room a year out.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using DISBoards

I paid for my cruise so that means I am "entitled" to be on the ship in my category that I paid for. DCL claims that they can assign us in any stateroom in a category 9. I can talk with them until I am blue in the face and they will not budge from this. For the record, I never asked them for an upgrade. My point is that they never reward frequent cruisers with any kind of upgrade unless THEY need your stateroom. As I stated earlier, it seems like the people who have cruised a couple of times get "pixie dusted" with upgrades from time to time. It is great for them but I feel that they do get those upgrades because Disney does not "have them yet" like many of us who have cruised 10-15-20 plus times. I am looking forward to this cruise as I will be celebrating my big 60 birthday. I understand this is a nice large stateroom so we will enjoy the extra space. Again, thank you all for your kind comments and insight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter