We Need More Cowbell! Aug 2012 TR *NEW*10/15 - Last Day & Wrap Up 4 NEW POSTS!

Completely agree and share the same feelings with you about Avatarland. When they first announced the project, it just didn't seem like a good fit. James Cameron (as much as I love most of his movies, Avatar not so much) has such a singular vision of his own projects that I didn't think he would be able to mesh and work well with the Disney Imagineers. Disney has such a huge cache of Pixar movies to tap into for its future projects, I would rather have them spend the money and time on those rather than Avatar.

:thumbsup2

I"ve heard it's been pushed back already because Cameron & Disney have 'creative differences.' You think? I never thought it was a good idea because while there are sequels planned, right now there is only one movie. It may not have any staying power. It's not like Harry Potter. A better option would have been Lord of the Rings but I don't see how that would tie in with AK either. As long as they don't build a Twilightland, we're good.

Oh man, would I love to see a LOTR land/park ANYWHERE! Love it, probably even a little more than Harry Potter. I would love to walk through the Shire, the mines of Moria, Mordor, etc. That would be AMAZING! Doesn't fit with AK for sure, probably would be better suited for Universal, but only if they could go big with it, I think. I actually enjoyed Twilight for what it is (definitely NOT a literary masterpiece or a memorable film, but enjoyable), but Twilightland is an absolute NO NO!! :rotfl:

Not to go too far OT, but I don't get all the dislike for "Avatarland". The movie wasn't great, but the concept for Animal Kingdom is actually pretty fitting - you do realize that "Avatar" was essentially "Pocahantas" with Sci-Fi trappings.

I look at it this way...most Disney fans wanted "Beastly Kingdom" built at AK, right? Well, if done right, this is essentially "Beastly Kingdom", just with different versions of Dragons and Unicorns.

I think Disney made a big mistake announcing that deal without any details or concept art. However, they wanted an investment of that size (half a billion $) to have some sort of name recognition. And not just in the US, worldwide. "Beastly Kingdom" peaks very little interest, "Avatar" at least gets people interested. In the end it will be quality of the product that gets you going and going back. If Universal had bought "Harry Potter" and then put up a shoddy park, no one would be going by now.

I agree, it's the same basic conservation story as Pocahontas, so why not do something with Pocahontas? I get it, Pocahontas is not as cool as trying to recreate Pandora. But I guess I would rather see the long rumored Australia section of the park come to fruition WAY more than Avatar. I just didn't think the movie was all that great to need or deserve a section of a Disney park, regardless of its message. :confused3 But that's just my opinion, of course. I guess the powers that be at Disney must have some insight on this being a good idea or they wouldn't be pouring so much money into it. I guess what bugs me the most is that I could see them doing so much more with the money that is instead being put into an Avatar attraction/land.

Carsland just looks absolutely incredible. I would definitely love to see it added to WDW. Anything to add more attractions that can be enjoyed by the whole family would be a nice addition to the Studios for sure.

I'm glad that you were able to get there early enough to take a couple of rides on RSR before the line got really backed up.

As for the Avatar discussion... well, let's just say I'm not that excited about that prospect. I really didn't even like the movie. I guess Disney's gonna do what they wanna do though. I just hope that if they do go forward with it, they make it something awesome, but I would definitely rather see Disney or Pixar movies represented in the parks.

Totally agree on the Studios. It used to be our favorite park after MK until we brought DS for the first time and realized that aside from shows and TSM, there wasn't a lot we could enjoy as a family. I'm hoping DS will at least sit through a show or two this year to make visiting DHS worthwhile.

I agree, I would rather see them do more with their own library of movies and characters instead of putting a lot of money and time into Avatar. But again, that's just my opinion. And I hope like you that if they do move forward with Avatar, they at least make it something spectacular instead of thrown together and mediocre.

Oh man, would I love to see a LOTR land/park ANYWHERE! Love it, probably even a little more than Harry Potter. I would love to walk through the Shire, the mines of Moria, Mordor, etc. That would be AMAZING! Doesn't fit with AK for sure, probably would be better suited for Universal, but only if they could go big with it, I think. I actually enjoyed Twilight for what it is (definitely NOT a literary masterpiece or a memorable film, but enjoyable), but Twilightland is an absolute NO NO!! :rotfl:

I would go to Twilightland for one reason and one reason only. If they had a Jacob look alike that posed for pictures with his shirt off. :rotfl: Picture taken and I'm out!

I'm here and caught up! It's been a wild few weeks...anyways, glad your trip out west was great. Sorry that y'all came home to a hurricane/tropical storm. I was thinking about y'all when it came to shore and hoping that y'all were ok. My best friend is a doctor in NOLA. She did her undergrad and masters at Tulane before coming back to GA for med school...they just moved back this summer when she graduated. Anyways, she helped evacuate Tulane when Katrina came and then did search/rescue in the weeks following. I was worried about them and really the timing of this storm. The anniversary of Katrina is tough and then when you put a new storm on top of that it can be a lot. Thankfully, they were ok and got by with little damage. I'm sorry about your parents house. Glad they are ok!

Back to Disney...your Carsland pictures are wonderful! Oh my goodness they did an incredible job with it. My husband was like we really need to plan a trip out there so we can see it in person. ;) Are you getting excited about your WDW trip? It's just around the corner along with Paxton's birthday. :thumbsup2

I had every intention of keeping up with you this time. Sheesh! Will have to go back and catch up!

I would go to Twilightland for one reason and one reason only. If they had a Jacob look alike that posed for pictures with his shirt off. :rotfl: Picture taken and I'm out!

I want a "spidermonkey" ride with Edward through the tops of the trees!! There could be an Italian restaurant with mushroom ravioli. I digress.

I think Disney made a big mistake announcing that deal without any details or concept art. However, they wanted an investment of that size (half a billion $) to have some sort of name recognition. And not just in the US, worldwide. "Beastly Kingdom" peaks very little interest, "Avatar" at least gets people interested. In the end it will be quality of the product that gets you going and going back. If Universal had bought "Harry Potter" and then put up a shoddy park, no one would be going by now.

This is a very interesting argument for AvLand. I concur. :thumbsup2

:lmao: Now that's an idea I could get behind!!

I'm here and caught up! It's been a wild few weeks...anyways, glad your trip out west was great. Sorry that y'all came home to a hurricane/tropical storm. I was thinking about y'all when it came to shore and hoping that y'all were ok. My best friend is a doctor in NOLA. She did her undergrad and masters at Tulane before coming back to GA for med school...they just moved back this summer when she graduated. Anyways, she helped evacuate Tulane when Katrina came and then did search/rescue in the weeks following. I was worried about them and really the timing of this storm. The anniversary of Katrina is tough and then when you put a new storm on top of that it can be a lot. Thankfully, they were ok and got by with little damage. I'm sorry about your parents house. Glad they are ok!

Back to Disney...your Carsland pictures are wonderful! Oh my goodness they did an incredible job with it. My husband was like we really need to plan a trip out there so we can see it in person. ;) Are you getting excited about your WDW trip? It's just around the corner along with Paxton's birthday. :thumbsup2

Thanks for your thoughts. Isaac really did a number on my parents like Katrina did 7 years ago. In Katrina, they lost their business. My mom's daycare caught on fire, and because there was no water pressure, the firefighters couldn't put it out and the building burned to the ground. Seven years later, their house floods for the first time in 27 years! They have most of the work done on their end, and then their friend who does home repair & remodeling is taking over with his portion of the job, so hopefully they are back in their house soon.

I think everyone needs to see Cars Land in person, they did such an amazing job with every last detail! Plus, it's an excuse to take another Disney trip, who doesn't want that?! ;)

I'm definitely getting excited about the trip, although I feel like it's sneaking up on me sometimes and I don't feel prepared! With Paxton's birthday party coming up, I feel like I need to get past all of that planning and then I can really focus on nailing down the final things for WDW. :thumbsup2

I had every intention of keeping up with you this time. Sheesh! Will have to go back and catch up!

Sorry, I am trying to get through it before we go to WDW, but I don't know if that's going to happen with everything I have had and will have going on!!!

I want a "spidermonkey" ride with Edward through the tops of the trees!! There could be an Italian restaurant with mushroom ravioli. I digress.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 :rotfl:

I hear you on things sneaking up on you! AG's birthday is 3.5 weeks post Christmas. Every year I tell myself to get it planned before hand and every year I'm like let me just get past Christmas and then I can focus on his birthday! Inevitably I feel rushed at the end! Oh, well. Maybe I'll get my act together this year since I am not pregnant nor do I have a new baby to use as an excuse like the last two years. :rotfl:

I hear you on things sneaking up on you! AG's birthday is 3.5 weeks post Christmas. Every year I tell myself to get it planned before hand and every year I'm like let me just get past Christmas and then I can focus on his birthday! Inevitably I feel rushed at the end! Oh, well. Maybe I'll get my act together this year since I am not pregnant nor do I have a new baby to use as an excuse like the last two years. :rotfl:

Last year and this year have been so hectic this time of year because we have been trying to plan a birthday party and then get everything ready for our trip around the same time! Last year his party was like a week and a half before we left and we had his real birthday, well visits with the ped and dentist, 2 year portraits and Halloween all between his party and leaving for the trip, so it was nuts!! I still only have 2 weeks between the party and leaving for the trip, but I am waiting to do his portraits until we get home, and Halloween will be after we get home too. And the well visits are not until November either. :thumbsup2 Hopefully it will be a little less stressful this time around!

DAY 2 Continued: Saturday August 25th

Once Cars Land started getting more congested, we decided to head out to other parts of the park and come back later. First up, we wanted to get our FP's for World of Color, so we started heading through Condor Flats towards Grizzly River Run.

0624.jpg

0630.jpg

DH snapped a pic of this when I pointed it has his name in it!

0631.jpg

0633.jpg

It was weird coming around this corner and seeing just nothing off to the right, since last time we had been there that's where you entered the park with Buena Vista St. being blocked off!

0637.jpg

We made it to GRR and picked up our FP for the first WoC show (that's a lot of acronyms in one sentence!

0638.jpg

Our next stop was Paradise Pier. We wanted to ride as many of the headliner attractions as we could while the park was still relatively slow. With it being a weekend, we didn't expect it to stay that way for long!

0640.jpg

0644.jpg

We were going to stop first and get FPs for California Screamin' before heading to Toy Story Mania, but the line for CS was only 5 minutes so we decided to just ride.

0641.jpg

Seriously LOVE this roller coaster!!! I love pretty much all Disney attractions except a rare few (I'm looking at you, Country Bears!), but the thrill rides are my favorite, and they definitely got it right with California Screamin'! I had forgotten since last trip about the rocket start, so it was a nice way to really wake me up at 8 in the morning with a blast of cool air in my face as we went hurtling off on the track! We picked up a FP for later, and then I decided I couldn't ignore my grumbling tummy anymore so I started looking up menus on the Lines app to find a place for breakfast.

We decided to check out Pacific Wharf Cafe since it was just right there, thinking I'd probably grab a muffin or croissant to eat. But then we spotted a woman coming out with scrambled eggs in a sourdough bread bowl and it just looked way too good not to get!

0645.jpg

Bread on display inside the Cafe

0646.jpg

Breakfast!​

Since it looked like a lot of food, we decided to get one to split and we also got a water to share. I can't even tell you how delicious this breakfast was! The eggs were fluffy REAL eggs, not the buffet runny powdered eggs we are used to eating in Disney. And the bread bowl was so amazing. I loooooove bread, especially sourdough. DH ate the orange slices and I had the grapes. We ate every last bite of what was on that plate! Literally all that was left was the orange peels and grape stems.

Now that my hungry stomach was satisfied, we headed over to Toy Story Mania to check out the wait. It was only posted at 30 minutes, so we figured why not, it's only going to get worse through the day.

0647.jpg

WDW definitely got it right with their TSM queue. DCA not so much. It's just switchback after switchback of chains and people shuffling through with nothing to look at. There were some cute posters at one point in the line for each of the games, but that was about it. After waiting about 25 minutes we got on the ride. It was fun being able to actually really compete against each other since last time we rode this in WDW one of us had a child on their lap each time!

It was fun, but a little frustrating because we stopped after every. single. game. So the ride took longer than usual and we had a lot of time to do some target practice with each game. I pulled ahead at one point in the ride, but DH of course, came back to whup me in the end.

0649.jpg

0650.jpg

Cute little display as we were exiting the ride​

I don't have any pictures of this (probably because I'd like to pretend it never happened!), but next we went on Mickey's Fun Wheel in a swinging gondola. I lamented the fact that there was no kid on my hip to pee on me and save me from it this time! Luckily for me, it never really got into a good rotation because they had to stop it when some idiots stood up in their bucket while it was moving. I was pleased about that, but not DH and the two kids in our bucket with us who wanted it to do a ton of swinging! It was pretty cool being stopped at the top though and seeing out over the park and beyond. And to see how much equipment is in the water where WoC happens!

After riding the Fun Wheel, for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to go get FP's for the second WoC show too without realizing you can't have a FP for both shows. The CM offered to switch our FPs out from the first show for the second, but we decided not to and just kept our original ones. He said if we changed our minds later to come back. (Yes, this will be important later!).

We decided to head over to the Hollywood Studios part of the park to check out some of the attractions there. We saw the Red Car Trolley parked out front at one of the stops!

0651.jpg

0652.jpg

First up...Monster's Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue! I think we waited maybe 5 minutes for this.

0653.jpg

0656.jpg

0657.jpg

I told DH not to worry about taking pictures in here since he had taken so many last trip, but he insists on trying to get better shots than before so he spent most of the ride looking through the camera.

0662.jpg

0674.jpg

0681.jpg

0707.jpg

0709.jpg

0711.jpg

Just as cute as we remembered it being last time, and Roz was actually working at the end! Last time she just stood there and didn't interact, so I didn't even realize she would talk to the guests in the cars as you pass her.

Continued in next post...

After riding Monsters Inc. we decided to check out the wait time at Tower of Terror. It was too long, so we grabbed some FP's for later (although I later noted in my notes that we never used them). While I got the FP's, DH took some pictures.

0718.jpg

0721.jpg

0728.jpg

At that point, we didn't have much of a plan in mind, so we just started walking. We came across a Photopass photographer at the entrance to Cars Land, so we stopped to get our picture taken.

0731.jpg

We were right across from the Blue Sky Cellar Preview Center, something DH had really wanted to do last trip that we never stopped to do, so this time we went inside. It probably would have been more exciting in May since it's pretty much all models and mock-ups of Cars Land, but it was still interesting. And they had some of the Cars shorts playing in a little theater in there.

0733.jpg

0735.jpg

0739.jpg

0740.jpg

The shovel used to break ground on Cars Land

0743.jpg

We spent a good little while in there, looking at all of the bulletin boards and glass cases. There were also some trivia games we had fun playing for awhile. It was a nice place to get out of the sun and away from the crowds of people.

According to my notes, we went back to the Pier to ride California Screamin' with our FPs, then had burgers for lunch at Taste Pilot's Grill, but we must have put the camera away for awhile because my next pictures are from our shopping adventures. We went first to the shops on Buena Vista Street, and had our picture taken with the Storytellers statue.

0750.jpg

0754.jpg

0775.jpg

Then we went back over to Cars Land to check out the shops there. DH ended up buying an RSR T-shirt (I need to take pics of all the stuff we bought to do a souvenir post at the end of this !).

0758.jpg

0760.jpg

0761.jpg

0764.jpg

We were about ready to head over to DL for the afternoon when something occurred to me...We were going to dinner at Steakhouse 55 that night for around 7 pm, so we probably wouldn't make it to the first showing of WoC! We stopped there again to exchange our FP's only to find the CM from earlier was not there and the new CM was telling me she couldn't do that. UGH! Come on, man! If only I had thought of this the first time we had gone over there. She told us we could come back after 2:30 when they start distributing the FPs for the second show and we could trade them out then. We even told her the guy that morning had said he could trade them out, but she just kept telling us she didn't have that access. Annoying. So we made a mental note to come back before we left the parks to go back to the resort for our showers before dinner and headed across the plaza to Disneyland.

0777.jpg

0779.jpg

0783.jpg

Workers on top of the Matterhorn!

We went to Tomorrowland to check out the wait at Space Mountain, but it was long so we grabbed FPs for later. We decided to head to New Orleans Square to ride Pirates and HM, but on the way, we passed Indiana Jones, which only had a 20 minute wait, so we jumped on. Good thing too, because when we came out, it was a much longer wait!

Then we continued on to our original destination and made it to New Orleans Square. Pirates of the Caribbean only had a 5 minute wait, we practically walked right onto a boat.

0784.jpg

0786.jpg

0787.jpg

0788.jpg

0789.jpg

0791.jpg

Once again, I told DH not to worry about taking pictures, but he just can't help himself! He's always looking out for new ways to play around with the camera settings and get good low-light photos that just might be better than last time.

Continued in next post...
Code:
[CODE]
[/CODE]

0804.jpg

0811.jpg

0822.jpg

0825.jpg

0840.jpg

0861.jpg

I really love Pirates in DL, especially the extra drop! And I love the extra scenes. Hopefully it will not be disappointing to ride Pirates (and Space Mountain!) when we go back to WDW in a few weeks. I have gotten spoiled with back to back visits to the "better" versions in DL!

Next, we went over to the Haunted Mansion which had a 13 minute wait posted. We barely waited 10 before entering the stretching room.

0864.jpg

0868.jpg

DH tried hard to get some good pics in the dark on this ride, but it is really really hard to do so! But a couple did come out okay.

0894.jpg

0897.jpg

After Haunted Mansion, we went over to Space Mountain and used our FP's. It was fun, but I was feeling a little rattled and queasy afterwards, so we decided to head out of the park for the afternoon. It was about 3:45 pm at that point. The plan had originally been to leave around 2:30 or 3 and go back to the room for showers so that we could go to church before dinner. But we had been having so much fun that we decided we weren't ready to leave the park that early. After making sure there was an evening Mass on Sunday instead, we decided to stay in the park a little later and just go to dinner that night instead.

We walked over to DCA and straight GRR to exchange our WOC FP's for ones for the later show, which luckily went smoothly this time. With our new FP's in hand, we headed over to Downtown Disney.

We stopped at World of Disney on our way out to the trams to do some shopping. We ended up buying a Halloween shirt for myself, a stuffed Agent P for Paxton, and a set of Vinylmations for DH. Another reason we had decided to forego church before dinner was that there was a Vinyl signing happening at D Street that afternoon and DH was hoping to go and get some Vinyls signed. After making our purchase at WoD we headed over to D Street only to find an enormously long line. DH wasn't THAT interested in an autograph, so we made our way to the trams. It was about 4:40 pm when we left Downtown Disney and made our way back to Peacock Suites for showers and a little FaceTime with Paxton. We also had time to watch the Saints game while we were getting ready, which was nice.

UP NEXT: The Anniversary Dinner That Almost Wasn't

Pacific Wharf Cafe. Drool. I went there for lunch last year and their bread bowl soup is to die for.

I love California Screamin. That's one of my favorite rides there. Monsters Inc is so fun too. I think I went on that about five times.

I agree POTC is much better in DL. Ditto for Space. But we got the better ToT!

Nice upate! So DH got you on the swinging cars on the Fun Wheel. I thought you were going to be able to resist this time. Was it a "never again" moment or a "not so bad" moment?

We didn't get to TSM because we were only over there late in the day and the line was almost an hour. I had heard TSM wasn't as popular in California, but it still seemed pretty popular!

And I agree with you on California Screaming, a fantastic ride, even if the "theme" is rather non-existant. (It's an amusement park!)

I must be one of the few that was less than impressed with the PotC. Yeah, it's definitely longer and better because of it, but the "longer" part isn't all that exciting. I was much more impressed with Space Mountain over PotC.

Your DH did get some really great shots. I can't be bothered with the effort to set a camera up to take those indoor shots, but I can appreciate how hard that is.

Hope you can keep the updates coming.

SP

Pacific Wharf Cafe. Drool. I went there for lunch last year and their bread bowl soup is to die for.

I love California Screamin. That's one of my favorite rides there. Monsters Inc is so fun too. I think I went on that about five times.

I agree POTC is much better in DL. Ditto for Space. But we got the better ToT!

We never made it back for the soup, but the breakfast was delicious! Maybe next time (hopefully won't be TOO far off in the future!) we can visit a cooler time of year and enjoy some soup there. :thumbsup2

You got it nailed, WDW definitely got the better ToT!!

Nice upate! So DH got you on the swinging cars on the Fun Wheel. I thought you were going to be able to resist this time. Was it a "never again" moment or a "not so bad" moment?

It was more of a "never want to do again but could be persuaded if my kids want to do it in the future" kind of moment. ;) I do have to say though that if I had to choose between going the three of us and going just me and DH, I was VERY happy it was just the two of us. I was nervous enough about it without having to hold Paxton on my lap! So thanks again to him for peeing on me at the perfect time! :lmao:

We didn't get to TSM because we were only over there late in the day and the line was almost an hour. I had heard TSM wasn't as popular in California, but it still seemed pretty popular!

I noticed that too! I kept having these ideas in my head that TSM would never be more than 30 or 40 minutes, which I guess is manageable considering they don't have FP and compared to the wait time at DHS, but it was still too long for us most of the time. I think we got lucky to get on in 25 minutes, it definitely got busier as the day wore on.

And I agree with you on California Screaming, a fantastic ride, even if the "theme" is rather non-existant. (It's an amusement park!)

I must be one of the few that was less than impressed with the PotC. Yeah, it's definitely longer and better because of it, but the "longer" part isn't all that exciting. I was much more impressed with Space Mountain over PotC.

Your DH did get some really great shots. I can't be bothered with the effort to set a camera up to take those indoor shots, but I can appreciate how hard that is.

Hope you can keep the updates coming.

SP

I know what you mean with POTC...there were a couple of spots where you're floating around looking at nothing, like when you are going up to the last scene. I think what I liked better about it is the fact that there are more scenes and that second drop. Plus it seemed like the scenes filled the room and there were things happening on both sides to look at vs. WDW where most of the action is usually on one side or the other.

He loves playing around with his low-light settings so I know it will make him happy that his hard work is appreciated. :thumbsup2

Hoping I can keep updating, probably in big chunks, to be done before we leave for WDW. Keeping up with a PTR and a TR has been difficult enough sometimes, I don't know if I could juggle 2 TRs!

Great update! Love all the pictures. One of my favorite is the picture of Harry Hausen's Poster in the Monster's Inc queue. Now I'm reeeealy curious what the menu says. :goodvibes Will have to find out for myself in 18 days!

I'm probably going to be like your DH with fiddling with my camera in the dark rides for my upcoming trip especially since I'll be solo. I've been reading up on tips on what kind of settings to use for the dark rides at Disney. Curious to find out what kind of lens your DH was using and what settings he was using on his camera ;)

Anyway, another fun report! Keep'em coming!

Great update! Love all the pictures. One of my favorite is the picture of Harry Hausen's Poster in the Monster's Inc queue. Now I'm reeeealy curious what the menu says. :goodvibes Will have to find out for myself in 18 days!

I'm probably going to be like your DH with fiddling with my camera in the dark rides for my upcoming trip especially since I'll be solo. I've been reading up on tips on what kind of settings to use for the dark rides at Disney. Curious to find out what kind of lens your DH was using and what settings he was using on his camera ;)

Anyway, another fun report! Keep'em coming!

Thanks! The Harry Hausen's menu is pretty entertaining. :thumbsup2 I definitely wouldn't want to eat there myself though!!

I'll ask him to chime in with his camera lens & settings info since I'm totally clueless in that regard. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter