We have now stayed at all 4 Moderate resorts ~ Just back from POR!

Momof2Disneyboys

DIS Veteran
We just returned from an 8 night stay at WDW on Sunday. The first 6 nights of that stay were at POR - November 7-13. I am happy to report that we had a very nice stay! :goodvibes

We started going to Disney in 2005 and have stayed at CBR twice, POFQ once, and CSR once, so we thought it was only fair to give POR a try this time! :thumbsup2

We had a 2:00 flight out of Pittsburgh on Saturday the 7th. We landed around 4:00. We were taking ME to the resort, so we went to our line and got right on the bus. That last 4 seats. We were then informed that the bus was stopping at 4 resorts. :eek: YC, BC, Boardwalk, and POR. And in that order. I still can't figure out why POR was on that bus. POR is in the DTD area. The others are obviously in the Epcot area. And why weren't POFQ & POR on the same bus? Very strange and it seemed like it took forever. But in all actuality we were at POR right around 5:30. There was no one in the regular check in line and about 2-3 families in the online check in line. So I was taken care of right away since I hadn't checked in online! I had requested the AB section and to be on the top floor of any of the following buildings: 14, 18, 26, or 27. I was informed that we were on the top floor of AB #27!! :woohoo: The CM said the best way to get there was to following the hallway to the food court, cut through the food court and follow the path along the river to #27. It was about a 5 minute walk. We unpacked our carry-ons and headed off to Epcot and when we came back a few hours later the rest of our luggage had magically arrived!

Our room was pretty much what we expected it to be from looking at tons of picture beforehand. We weren't overly impressed with the decor of the inside of the room, but we knew that going in. Everything was in order, 2 beds, 2 chairs, a table, a huge bench (which does not open for storage), a shelf with 4 pegs for hanging jackets, 2 sinks, etc. The room was fairly clean, but there was garbage still in the 2 garbage cans. And dust in the corners, behind the bed & stand, etc, as with most Disney hotel rooms. We like to call it pixie-dust. :rotfl:

Ever since all these stories of snakes and other creatures in the rooms, and personal items coming up missing, not to mention the whole H1N1 thing, we don't have housekeeping come in much. We clean the room ourselves and catch housekeeping out in the hall and get our supplies and exchange our wet towels, etc. We did have her come in once during the week and she did a good job. Unfortunately keeping the door shut all week didn't keep one creature from getting in. One night we got back to the room late and I went to wash my face and there were 2 eyeballs looking at me. Sitting right there on my make-up bag!! :scared1: I didn't bother to investigate, I just ran away and told DH something was looking at me! :lmao: He went over to discover that it was a frog. He took it's picture for proof and caught it and threw it outside. We then washed off everything and threw out our toothbrushes. Oh, and inspected the room to see if it had any friends. DH took the camera and went to the front desk, where they offered to move us to the Mansions section or to call pest control, both of which we declined. They did give him new toothbrushes for all of us.

Our view was garden/courtyard and was very lush and beautiful.

We appeared to be right in-between the South and West bus stops. So we tried them both. I would say that if you could take a straight line from the West bus stop to our room it would be shorter. But the paths were all winding and it took forever. So we stuck with the South bus stop (which is usually the first stop, after POFQ) at the main entrance. It was about a 5 minute walk. So, we were about 5 minutes from everything important - bus stop, food court, main pool.

The main pool is very beautiful and has a very fun slide (very similar to CSR's slide - open and one curve with water squirting on you at one point). DS10 went down it a lot!! The pool is very neat how it curves around and has water running over top of it and coming into the pool. The unfortunate side of the pool, the water was apparently not heated. :confused3 The first time we went to the pool it was about 80 degrees out and the water was uncomfortable for DH and I, but the kids lasted nearly an hour. The next time we went it wasn't quite as warm out and the water was freezing. DH and I did not even get in and the kids lasted about 15 minutes. That's bad for them! So I'm not sure it that's an all the time thing there or if there was a problem with the heater when we were there. I thought all Disney pools were heated. . . so we were pretty disappointed in our swimming time.

So I went in to this trip terrified of the POR buses after all that I have heard, but I am happy to report that they were just fine! Our average waits were about 5-15 minutes. There were a few times we waited 20-25, but it didn't happen often. The buses were crowded, I will say that. We probably stood on the buses more than we ever have. Probably about 3-4 times we had to stand. We always shared with POFQ, with the exception of the MK buses. One night we came out of MK to go back to POR and there were 2 POR buses at the stop, double parked. Never saw that before. Apparently they were both full and they both pulled away. About 6-7 minutes later 2 more pulled up and double parked again. There were 2 people in scooters waiting to get loaded, so they waved the line of people around the first bus to the second bus and loaded it til it was full and also loaded the first bus after that. I would say that POR was nearing full capacity because there were tons of people on the buses! I only wish they would have done the double bus thing at Epcot at night.

There are 4 bus stops at POR. If you get on at the first stop and have to make the other 3 stops it takes 10-11 minutes. So if you get on at POFQ you will be on a few minutes longer than that. Once the bus leaves the resort it takes 5 minutes to get to Epcot, 9 to MK & DTD, 10 to DHS, and 16 to AK.

We did take the boat to DTD one time during our stay. Our boat driver was very funny and made for a fun trip, but with the high winds we took the bus back. (We had a ton of crazy wind from tropical storm Ida during our stay)

We ate at the food court 2 times. I had one very good meal and one that wasn't so good. I will tell more about those later in my dining report. The food court is very nice and has lots of great choices. DH enjoyed both his meals he got there. The CM's were very friendly and helpful, at the food court and everywhere at the resort.

If you stay at POR you've got the see Piano Bob!! That guy is hilarious. DS10 is still talking about him. I will post pics of the kids having a blast at his show!

So how does POR fall as far as our favorites? I'm going to say a close 2nd, even with the frog and cold pool!! :laughing: As we walked around the resort on our 2nd day there DH and I were talking about how beautiful it was and how we thought we might even like it better than our favorite, but then the frog (and yes, I do realize that could happen anywhere) and the very cold pool water kind of changed our minds a bit. It is also not quite as centrally located as our favorite and we missed the white sand beaches & hammocks. But still, for the one moderate that appealed to us the least theme wise we were very impressed and surprised by how much we enjoyed it. It just goes to show that you never know until you try something!

So CBR still remains our favorite moderate, with POR at a close second, followed by POFQ, and last is CSR.

We stayed at OKW our last 2 nights, I will be doing a review on it later this week.

I will be posting a lot of POR pictures for you very soon. Feel free to ask me any question about POR or any of the moderates!

Thanks for reading!

Great info! Thanks! We are staying at CBR forthe first time in 8 days! I was a little nervous, we usually stay at deluxe resorts, so I was mostly afraid of depending on the buses for everything...waiting and waiting....The resort looks fabulous, but I am still worried about the buses...any issues when staying there?

Shoot! I don't have time to read it- walking out the door.

I'll be back this afternoon. Can't wait!!!

Hold my spot!:goodvibes

Jo

Great info! Thanks! We are staying at CBR forthe first time in 8 days! I was a little nervous, we usually stay at deluxe resorts, so I was mostly afraid of depending on the buses for everything...waiting and waiting....The resort looks fabulous, but I am still worried about the buses...any issues when staying there?

Don't be nervous, CBR is great! :cloud9: Very lush and beautiful. When we stayed there in January the buses were excellent, the best we have ever seen. Most waits were under 5 minutes! If you happen to get on the bus at the first stop at CBR it takes about 8 minutes to make all the other stops and then once you leave the resort it is 3 minutes to DHS, 5 to Epcot, 9 to DTD, and 11 to MK & AK.

Have a great time! :goodvibes

Shoot! I don't have time to read it- walking out the door.

I'll be back this afternoon. Can't wait!!!

Hold my spot!:goodvibes

Jo

Holding your spot. . . . But only for a bit, you better get back here soon or I may have to give it way!! :lmao:

Thank you for that wonderful review! I'm considering doing a split stay with a value and a Mod so this popped up at the perfect time for me!

Nice review Shelly!

What made you like POR better than POFQ? Just curious... we've thought about staying at one of the PO resorts sometime.

Can't wait for your pictures!

Thank you for such an informative, unbiased and fact-based review. :thumbsup2

I'm really looking forward to the pictures! :goodvibes

Shelly,

Love the report.

It sounds like you guys really enjoy it and I am impressed that it is your second favorite resort.

Sounds like you guys were very close to everything. That is so awesome. :thumbsup2

frog-51.gif

I really would have freaked if I had seen this guy sitting on my make-up bag. Good thing your DH was there to handle it!! I would have laughed later, but freaked first. :laughing:

Thank you for that wonderful review! I'm considering doing a split stay with a value and a Mod so this popped up at the perfect time for me!

You're welcome. Hope it helps!
I'm here to read. Not let me go back and get all the details.

Hope you enjoy!
Nice review Shelly!

What made you like POR better than POFQ? Just curious... we've thought about staying at one of the PO resorts sometime.

Thanks Amy!

I think it was the size and the grounds of POR that we liked better than POFQ. We just think POR is much more lush and beautiful. There was really nothing wrong with POFQ, it is just very small, everything is right on top of everything, and the we thought the rooms were kind of dark.

Thank you for such an informative, unbiased and fact-based review. :thumbsup2

I'm really looking forward to the pictures! :goodvibes

Glad you enjoyed it! Pictures will be coming up shortly!
Shelly,

Love the report.

It sounds like you guys really enjoy it and I am impressed that it is your second favorite resort.

Sounds like you guys were very close to everything. That is so awesome. :thumbsup2

frog-51.gif

I really would have freaked if I had seen this guy sitting on my make-up bag. Good thing your DH was there to handle it!! I would have laughed later, but freaked first. :laughing:

Thanks!

:laughing: Thanks for the frog! It brings back memories!! :rotfl2:

Yep, that's pretty much what I did - freaked and then laughed about it later. It's not like I am scared of frogs, I have a house full of boys, I have seen a frog or 2 in my day! I just wasn't expecting it to be right there I guess!

Nice review Shelly!

I have to chime in on that one. I preferred POR because I loved having the restaurant available; in lieu of just the food court. Now it has become a mute point, because they don't serve breakfast anymore and the dinners are quite overpriced. But I have fallen in love with the mansions, so I made it my home resort.

I love the fact that you get so many more dining options by taking the water taxi over to DTD. Between Earl of Sandwich, RFC, Wolfgang Puck's Express, and Fulton's, I have a field day over there with meals.

Also I love the lush vegetation and the quiet pools as well. It just suits me, since I mostly travel alone or with friends. Took my mom one year and I didn't think I was going to be able to get her to leave!

We just returned from an 8 night stay at WDW on Sunday. The first 6 nights of that stay were at POR - November 7-13. I am happy to report that we had a very nice stay! :goodvibes

We started going to Disney in 2005 and have stayed at CBR twice, POFQ once, and CSR once, so we thought it was only fair to give POR a try this time! :thumbsup2

We had a 2:00 flight out of Pittsburgh on Saturday the 7th. We landed around 4:00. We were taking ME to the resort, so we went to our line and got right on the bus. That last 4 seats. We were then informed that the bus was stopping at 4 resorts. :eek: YC, BC, Boardwalk, and POR. And in that order. I still can't figure out why POR was on that bus. POR is in the DTD area. The others are obviously in the Epcot area. And why weren't POFQ & POR on the same bus? Very strange and it seemed like it took forever. But in all actuality we were at POR right around 5:30. There was no one in the regular check in line and about 2-3 families in the online check in line. So I was taken care of right away since I hadn't checked in online! I had requested the AB section and to be on the top floor of any of the following buildings: 14, 18, 26, or 27. I was informed that we were on the top floor of AB #27!! :woohoo: The CM said the best way to get there was to following the hallway to the food court, cut through the food court and follow the path along the river to #27. It was about a 5 minute walk. We unpacked our carry-ons and headed off to Epcot and when we came back a few hours later the rest of our luggage had magically arrived!

Our room was pretty much what we expected it to be from looking at tons of picture beforehand. We weren't overly impressed with the decor of the inside of the room, but we knew that going in. Everything was in order, 2 beds, 2 chairs, a table, a huge bench (which does not open for storage), a shelf with 4 pegs for hanging jackets, 2 sinks, etc. The room was fairly clean, but there was garbage still in the 2 garbage cans. And dust in the corners, behind the bed & stand, etc, as with most Disney hotel rooms. We like to call it pixie-dust. :rotfl:

Ever since all these stories of snakes and other creatures in the rooms, and personal items coming up missing, not to mention the whole H1N1 thing, we don't have housekeeping come in much. We clean the room ourselves and catch housekeeping out in the hall and get our supplies and exchange our wet towels, etc. We did have her come in once during the week and she did a good job. Unfortunately keeping the door shut all week didn't keep one creature from getting in. One night we got back to the room late and I went to wash my face and there were 2 eyeballs looking at me. Sitting right there on my make-up bag!! :scared1: I didn't bother to investigate, I just ran away and told DH something was looking at me! :lmao: He went over to discover that it was a frog. He took it's picture for proof and caught it and threw it outside. We then washed off everything and threw out our toothbrushes. Oh, and inspected the room to see if it had any friends. DH took the camera and went to the front desk, where they offered to move us to the Mansions section or to call pest control, both of which we declined. They did give him new toothbrushes for all of us.

Our view was garden/courtyard and was very lush and beautiful.

We appeared to be right in-between the South and West bus stops. So we tried them both. I would say that if you could take a straight line from the West bus stop to our room it would be shorter. But the paths were all winding and it took forever. So we stuck with the South bus stop (which is usually the first stop, after POFQ) at the main entrance. It was about a 5 minute walk. So, we were about 5 minutes from everything important - bus stop, food court, main pool.

The main pool is very beautiful and has a very fun slide (very similar to CSR's slide - open and one curve with water squirting on you at one point). DS10 went down it a lot!! The pool is very neat how it curves around and has water running over top of it and coming into the pool. The unfortunate side of the pool, the water was apparently not heated. :confused3 The first time we went to the pool it was about 80 degrees out and the water was uncomfortable for DH and I, but the kids lasted nearly an hour. The next time we went it wasn't quite as warm out and the water was freezing. DH and I did not even get in and the kids lasted about 15 minutes. That's bad for them! So I'm not sure it that's an all the time thing there or if there was a problem with the heater when we were there. I thought all Disney pools were heated. . . so we were pretty disappointed in our swimming time.

So I went in to this trip terrified of the POR buses after all that I have heard, but I am happy to report that they were just fine! Our average waits were about 5-15 minutes. There were a few times we waited 20-25, but it didn't happen often. The buses were crowded, I will say that. We probably stood on the buses more than we ever have. Probably about 3-4 times we had to stand. We always shared with POFQ, with the exception of the MK buses. One night we came out of MK to go back to POR and there were 2 POR buses at the stop, double parked. Never saw that before. Apparently they were both full and they both pulled away. About 6-7 minutes later 2 more pulled up and double parked again. There were 2 people in scooters waiting to get loaded, so they waved the line of people around the first bus to the second bus and loaded it til it was full and also loaded the first bus after that. I would say that POR was nearing full capacity because there were tons of people on the buses! I only wish they would have done the double bus thing at Epcot at night.

There are 4 bus stops at POR. If you get on at the first stop and have to make the other 3 stops it takes 10-11 minutes. So if you get on at POFQ you will be on a few minutes longer than that. Once the bus leaves the resort it takes 5 minutes to get to Epcot, 9 to MK & DTD, 10 to DHS, and 16 to AK.

We did take the boat to DTD one time during our stay. Our boat driver was very funny and made for a fun trip, but with the high winds we took the bus back. (We had a ton of crazy wind from tropical storm Ida during our stay)

We ate at the food court 2 times. I had one very good meal and one that wasn't so good. I will tell more about those later in my dining report. The food court is very nice and has lots of great choices. DH enjoyed both his meals he got there. The CM's were very friendly and helpful, at the food court and everywhere at the resort.

If you stay at POR you've got the see Piano Bob!! That guy is hilarious. DS10 is still talking about him. I will post pics of the kids having a blast at his show!

So how does POR fall as far as our favorites? I'm going to say a close 2nd, even with the frog and cold pool!! :laughing: As we walked around the resort on our 2nd day there DH and I were talking about how beautiful it was and how we thought we might even like it better than our favorite, but then the frog (and yes, I do realize that could happen anywhere) and the very cold pool water kind of changed our minds a bit. It is also not quite as centrally located as our favorite and we missed the white sand beaches & hammocks. But still, for the one moderate that appealed to us the least theme wise we were very impressed and surprised by how much we enjoyed it. It just goes to show that you never know until you try something!

So CBR still remains our favorite moderate, with POR at a close second, followed by POFQ, and last is CSR.

We stayed at OKW our last 2 nights, I will be doing a review on it later this week.

I will be posting a lot of POR pictures for you very soon. Feel free to ask me any question about POR or any of the moderates!

Thanks for reading!

Thanks so much for this review!! We will be at POR in 10 days and I am a bit nervous as we have never stayed here for any length of time. We did stay 1 night in 2007 before moving over to CBR..We had an Alligator Bayou room (which I have requested for this trip)and loved it and hope we get our request. We actually like the look of Alligator Bayou better than the manisons...but seriously any place will be fine....We are at Disney!!!! :banana::banana: I can't wait to see your pictures!!!!!!:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

Very good unbiased review... you give it a fair rating.

Disappointing that the bench did not open for storage - I think that idea is great!

Hope the little frog prince enjoyed his accomodations!

We have luckily never had visitors, but it makes sense to avoid mousekeeping to keep the critters out- I had never thought about it... now I am paranoid :eek:Mousekeeping or no mousekeeping ( I'm a sucker for a nice sheet tucked bed- it's never the same when you do it yourself, maybe I should practice more at home - :lmao:)

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to your photos.

A Frog! Crazy that you were on a top floor and there was a frog in your room. I wonder how it got there! I do not care for frogs! They do not smile and they make me cry! Not like balling cry but a tear or two. Glad you had a nice time in spite of the frog in your room!

Glad you enjoyed your trip and great review! We stayed at POR in June for the first time in many years and it was quite enjoyable. We are used to staying in Deluxe, so the rooms seemed a bit small, but it is definitely worth staying there to save some extra money. We are going to stay there again when we go in December, so I can't wait to see it when it is all decorated.
Where exactly is Piano Bob? We must find him on our next trip! :goodvibes

Thanks so much for this review!! We will be at POR in 10 days and I am a bit nervous as we have never stayed here for any length of time. We did stay 1 night in 2007 before moving over to CBR..We had an Alligator Bayou room (which I have requested for this trip)and loved it and hope we get our request. We actually like the look of Alligator Bayou better than the manisons...but seriously any place will be fine....We are at Disney!!!! :banana::banana: I can't wait to see your pictures!!!!!!:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

I liked the looks of AB more than the Mansions too. But when we were walking around the resort one day DH said that he really liked the looks of the Mansions. :confused3

Hope you get all your requests and have a great trip!

Very good unbiased review... you give it a fair rating.

Disappointing that the bench did not open for storage - I think that idea is great!

Hope the little frog prince enjoyed his accomodations!

We have luckily never had visitors, but it makes sense to avoid mousekeeping to keep the critters out- I had never thought about it... now I am paranoid :eek:Mousekeeping or no mousekeeping ( I'm a sucker for a nice sheet tucked bed- it's never the same when you do it yourself, maybe I should practice more at home - :lmao:)

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to your photos.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

Yes, the bench at CBR opens for storage, so I tried to open this one but it was a no-go! :confused3 Then I saw DH messing with it later in the week and I told him - don't bother, it doesn't open!

Yes, it's not a lot of fun doing the cleaning yourself, but I just felt better having less people coming in and out of the room. DH actually made the beds every morning and took care of putting the trundle bed away and standing the air mattress on it's side and putting it away, while I cleaned the sinks and surfaces with the clorox wipes. So it went fairly quickly every morning.

A Frog! Crazy that you were on a top floor and there was a frog in your room. I wonder how it got there! I do not care for frogs! They do not smile and they make me cry! Not like balling cry but a tear or two. Glad you had a nice time in spite of the frog in your room!

Apparently it was a tree frog. And man could that thing jump high and far and could cling to anything. So I can see how it got up there. The thing is that we found him on our 3rd night, we didn't even have housekeeping come in until the 4th day. So I guess he had been in there the whole time. :eek:

Great review, Shelly! :thumbsup2 I'm so glad your family enjoyed POR. Even though CBR remains your #1, at least you liked POR and weren't wishing you were back at CBR. POR and POFQ are the only resorts we have stayed at, and we enjoyed them both. If we go back, I would like to give CBR a try.

That's strange about the DME route. When we went, we stopped at OKW and SSR before POR. I don't remember now if we went to POFQ, but certainly not the ones y'all went to. :confused:

If I had found a frog in my room.....:scared1: I am terrified of frogs and lizards, even though I know that's not very rational. :laughing: Thankfully, nothing (that I was aware of ;)) was hiding out in my room.

We were in AB25 during our stay, and we used the West depot exclusively. Never a long wait, and empty buses. I don't think they had even been to POFQ first. That was pretty early each morning, so maybe that made a difference.

Too bad about the cold water in the pool. I wonder if the heater was broken. :confused3 I would have stuck my toe in and said, "No thanks!"

Glad you had fun at Bob's show. We ducked in for a few minutes, but we were pretty tired and didn't stay long. And my "kids" were 18 and 21 at the time and didn't get into it as much as the younger kids were. But most everyone seemed to be having a ball!

I'm looking forward to seeing your pics!

Glad you enjoyed your trip and great review! We stayed at POR in June for the first time in many years and it was quite enjoyable. We are used to staying in Deluxe, so the rooms seemed a bit small, but it is definitely worth staying there to save some extra money. We are going to stay there again when we go in December, so I can't wait to see it when it is all decorated.
Where exactly is Piano Bob? We must find him on our next trip! :goodvibes

Thanks! :goodvibes

There weren't any Christmas decorations up at POR when we left on Friday, other than in the gift shop. But I'm sure they'll have more up by the time you get there! :santa:

Piano Bob is in the River Roost Lounge - between the lobby & the food court. But only on certain nights. I know he was there on our first night, which would have been a Saturday, but we were too tired to stop. Then we happened across him on Tuesday & Wednesday night I think. Definitely ask when you check in!

DS would've been in heaven had we found a frog in our room! We have a little itty bitty frog as a pet (seriously...this thing is no bigger around than a quarter! :)) He plays with that darn thing all the time! It's been in all his cars, Kinex merry go round...you name it! :lmao: I'm with you, though, my initial shock would've been to scream and make DH investigate!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter