We had a Disney December, Bahamian Xmas, NYC NYE and then some!! COMPLETED!

EDGE ON THE DISNEY FANTASY: A REVIEW BY DS

When we were planning, yet another, trip to the USA I knew that a Disney Cruise had to be on our agenda, so one night during dinner I brought it to the table (literally- we were at the table). I knew that cruising was something that I had always wanted to do, but a DISNEY Cruise, I knew I had to check out! In my spare time (often in boring classes at school) I ended up on the Disney cruise line website. Dad had wondered what we would actually do on a boat in the middle of the Atlantic for seven days.

This wouldn’t really give him anything to do, but, I found that there were kid’s clubs onboard and the one suited for my age (at the time=12) would be either the Oceaneer Club/Lab or Edge. I originally wanted to go on the Disney Magic as it had the Marvel Avengers Academy in the Oceaneer Club since I am a HUGE marvel fan, but; A Disney Cruise is still a Disney Cruise!

I looked at the age ranges and the Oceaneer club/lab is for kids 3-12 so I wasn’t too sure whether I would want to be in the chaos that was kids 3-12. So Edge was my club. My only doubt going into this was; what is the point of making friends who are most likely from America, probably never to keep in touch with them or see them again? But I put it in the back of my head and I moved on. I had so much excitement, not just for the whole trip but the Disney cruise and not just the Disney cruise but EDGE and how I would spend all of my time there and would never see my parents. I how I was wrong.

I barely spent ANY time at Edge. I think I know where the name came from! They were at the ‘edge’ of their budget when they built it. It is TINY!! We walked past the Oceaneer Club and It was ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE!!!

The layout of Edge is mainly open plan, with a gaming area with laptops and an area with benches and tables to do craft on. There are two massive tv screens hooked up to an Xbox and a Wii U. There are little chairs and tables in the centre. There was a small square shaped room off to the right of everything that had a green screen and two TVs. This was a little news cross to you (‘the reporter’) from Good Morning America or ABC News or you were giving the weather. The top TV showed you with the green screen keyed out (changed) to another background and the lower TV showed an Autocue or teleprompter (Basically the script of what you have to say). I really enjoyed this as I am an aspiring Journalist, and have been since Grade 2 (in grade 8 now)! Just the other day I was looking at uni courses lol.

The day Mum and Dad went to Palo, I went to Edge. The cool thing is, you leave and go as you please- no parents coming and using a ‘password’ to get you out and also no tapping your magicband- this is what they have at the Oceaneer club/lab. When I got there, it was just ‘chilling out in edge’ on the timetable! I hung out with a few other kids there and we played Mario kart and just dance. After that it was an animation class, so I stuck around for that (I love Animation Academy at the parks!!). We drew Goofy and they gave us a little booklet where we could draw something and then draw it again but slightly moved, creating a flipbook. Mine didn’t turn out so well. I tried to do a Kangaroo, but it was really weird. But my Goofy was good nonetheless.

After that it was a painting class and they turned off the TVs so we couldn’t play games or anything L! So I rang Dad on our wave phone and I asked him if I could go back to the room and I explained to him what was going on. He was fine with it, but he said only go out for food. Cool beans. I got back to the room and the door wouldn’t open! I rang Dad and he said he’d come. Before he came, our host, Ronald, was around and he got it open just as dad was coming back.

On another instance when I went to Edge, they had these playmation things. It was an Iron Man repulsor battle with another person. It was really fun! We built bases out of square chair things and it was really fun!!

So, Edge wasn’t the best kids club, but it was kinda fun at times. My only thing would be the size and how certain activities interrupt/stop video games.

-lffamDSon

Last edited:
St Thomas & Santa’s Winter’s Wonderland

Here is today’s Navigator

23 December 2015

Today was another port day, this time St Thomas, US Virgin Islands.
Saint Thomas(Spanish:Santo Tomás; Dutch: Sint-Thomas;Danish: Sankt Thomas) is one of the Virgin Islands in the Caribbean Sea and, together with St. John and Water Island, forms a county and constituent district of the United States Virgin Islands(USVI), an unincorporated territory of the United States. Located on the island is the territorial capital and port of Charlotte Amalie. As of the 2010 census, the population of Saint Thomas was 51,634[1]about 48.5% of the US Virgin Islands total. The district has a land area of 31.24 square miles (80.9 km2).

DSC_2123_zpsuisvo1ao.jpg

DSC_2124_zpsbrbbhr1p.jpg

As with our last port, we had not pre-booked any port adventures, mainly because we really didn’t know what to do and just wanted to do our own thing. We did much the same which was wander into town to look around at the shops. Unfortunately, I didn’t take my camera out so I didn’t take any photos while we were in the port.

We did have to buy a new suitcase as we were now getting close to the weight limits for internal flight, but we still had allowance for more suitcases, so we decided we would buy a new one and spread the load so to speak. We found a Kmart which was about a 20min walk from the port where we purchased one. On the way there we were passed by many operator offering tours of the island. It was actually quite expensive, much more expensive that if we had bought it is the US, but we didn’t have much of a choice. When we came out of Kmart there were people offering us a “taxi” back to the ship. We declined, but then decided we would take one back as it was really quite warm and we all thought it would be better to just get back to the ship. So we approached one and he took our new suitcase towards his ‘taxi’. When we got there, DW and DS got in the back and I was helping the driver put the suitcase in the boot, which wasn’t working to well, it just wasn’t fitting. DW & DS were looking at me through the back window saying something which I couldn’t understand. I went around to the side of the car and they said there were no seat belts, I looked into the car and the seats were all torn and the car was a mess with rubbish all over the floor. We realized we hadn’t actually got into a taxi, just a local who was running people around in his car. I told them to get out, and I told the driver it was ok, we would just walk back, He tried to convince me it was ok, but we declined and made our own way back!

We made it back to the ship and we thought it was time we checked out the Aqua Duck. This was a great idea because there was no wait whatsoever. We all rode it over and over again. It was so much fun. We then did what we love to do, relaxed. We had the sun deck to ourselves again.

IMG_1725_zpsyqaqkwyf.jpg

IMG_1728_zpsfk2yn98q.jpg

That evening, we decided to order room service, rather than go our dining rotation. The Concierge staff got us the menu that we would be having at the restaurant and placed our order for us and it was delivered to our suite at our chosen time.

DSC_2127_zpsqowklclw.jpg

Later than evening we watched most of Finding Nemo on Funnel Vision ( the big screen on the pool deck) and then later that night we went to watch Santa’s Winter’s Wonderland in the Lobby Atrium.

IMG_1731_zpsjrdbbggm.jpg

DSC_2132_zpssx9kdxxw.jpg

DSC_2137_zpso0imahbi.jpg

Some ship detail
DSC_2138_zps7uimkjfn.jpg

DSC_2139_zpsx23jmdcg.jpg

DSC_2142_zpsq1kwqbe3.jpg

DSC_2143_zpsnz5yxntp.jpg

DSC_2146_zpsmwxfn4te.jpg

DSC_2148_zpsxfhrwm2n.jpg

DSC_2149_zpsufknnaty.jpg

DSC_2152_zpsclqcknty.jpg

DSC_2154_zpsephtdj1c.jpg

DSC_2159_zpskwhiy1p4.jpg

DSC_2161_zpsopuxfgoc.jpg

DSC_2163_zpsztlaumwc.jpg

DSC_2164_zpsarwgxi0r.jpg

DSC_2167_zpse5oclvkq.jpg

DSC_2169_zps0uw8zkaq.jpg

DSC_2172_zpsdtg3jerw.jpg

DSC_2175_zpsekoj1hi2.jpg

DSC_2177_zpshiwxou2x.jpg

DSC_2179_zpssg2apd1i.jpg

As always Ronald & Hubert, or stateroom hosts, had left us another great towel animal to greet us.

DSC_2130_zpsuretawcx.jpg

DSC_2131_zpswfi2h9rs.jpg

Something I forgot to mention earlier, when DS was feeling the effects of motion sickness at the beginning of the cruise, the Concierge staff were all really concerned for him and really helped is anyway they could. When DS was up and about again, they gave him a nice card and an arcade credit pass and told him to come back when he had used it and they would refill it for him. A really nice touch which helped DS when things didn’t start off as well as he had liked.

Tomorrow is Christmas Eve!

Last edited:
Christmas Eve

Here is todays Navigator

24 December 2015

There were two specific things which we hadn’t done yet which we wanted to, one for DW & one for DS. Bingo and The Midship Detective Agency. I’m sure you can work out who wanted to do which one!

I know DW wished she had played bingo more on the ship, but we only made it there once. The times just always seemed to clash with something else, but at least we got there at least for one. Unfortunately, we didn’t win, we did come close, but the man next to us did win.

IMG_1733_zps1cb2swro.jpg

DS & I then went to do the The Midship Detective Agency Adventure. This was well done and worth while. There are a number of different adventures you can take so if your kids want to try more than one then start them early in the cruise. DS chose to do “The Case of the Stolen Show” which was with the Muppets.
“Your mission, should you choose to accept it, will take you all over the ship. Use your uniquely barcoded detective badge and the ship map in your casebook to unveil clues, rule out suspects, take notes and ultimately crack your chosen case. Your badge’s barcode will track your progress, so you can stop and start the game as you please. Can you identify the culprit and solve the crime before it's too late?

Designed for Guests ages 9 and older, this self-paced adventure features several possible endings and multiple randomized events that allow for a different gaming experience each time.

Throughout the ship, you’ll discover more than 20 “enchanted” artworks cleverly disguised as ordinary art, each one inspired by classic Disney characters and animation. As you pause to inspect each piece, your detective badge will activate a special effect in its LCD screen, magically bringing the artwork to life. You may even see a different animated sequence each time you interact with a single piece, telling you a Disney story in a completely new way!”

DSC_2189_zps6inqptej.jpg

DSC_2190_zps3dqyj6cs.jpg

DSC_2191_zpsk5llbkeh.jpg

DSC_2193_zpskbzgsmgb.jpg

DSC_2195_zpsq6tdtpky.jpg

DSC_2194_zpswuxd3a2b.jpg

Later that afternoon, DS and I also decided we would go watch Star Wars for the third time! We really loved it! There was plenty of relaxing and just watching the world as we sailed on.

There was a function on the concierge sun deck for concierge guests. They had food and cocktails. Septi, the bartender we got to know was making us some really refreshing Sea Breeze cocktails and variations. A little later on we had a visit from Captain Mickey.

DSC_2198_zpsj1rnarfs.jpg

DSC_2200_zpstkdwqxkm.jpg

DSC_2204_zpsev17n1dz.jpg

DSC_2207_zpsj1phtmd1.jpg

More random ship detail
DSC_2211_zpshvih6k6l.jpg

Relaxing on the verandah of our suite
DSC_2216_zpsnwxllbmd.jpg

DSC_2222_zpszcxs2ppe.jpg

DSC_2220_zps1vsstqmi.jpg

DSC_2229_zpsutrmvaha.jpg

IMG_1736_zpsdwtmblyw.jpg

Every wondered where DS gets his Photobombing ideas from….
DSC_2231_zpsc5e2rhnc.jpg

Dinner this evening was in Animators Palette again. Tonight we were each given a template and told to draw some things on it. Our drawings ended up being animated and projected on the walls at the end of the night. It was a neat interactive end to dinner.

Check out today’s towel creation!

DSC_2196_zpsxrhfkwgl.jpg

We also had a few gifts awaiting us when we returned.

DSC_2232_zpsbdljxcsa.jpg

DSC_2233_zpsegsixxzc.jpg

DSC_2234_zpsq23ypi2e.jpg

One of the gifts A Lithograph Disney Print.

DSC_4182_zpswa2nhbou.jpg

Last edited:
@Travel Mum We've just gotten a recliner chaise lounge that has taken up the space where Dad's desk was, so we have to find a new spot for it. But my review of Edge is coming up next :D Also he's got a bit of the flu :(

Thanks so much for letting us know lffamDSon and I hope your Dad feels better soon. It's late here in NZ so I'm off to bed but will look forward to reading your post tomorrow :)

Merry Christmas!!!

Here is todays Navigator.

25 December 2015

Well Santa still found us here in the Bahamas! Today we were at Castaway Cay, Disney’s own Private Island. DS was really looking forward to this. Today was a little bitter sweet. It was the first ever Christmas that we would spend away from our families and while we were together we definitely missed seeing our broader families at Christmas time.

The weather was beautiful, much like it would have been back home in Brisbane, and from the photos you will see it was a spectacular day.

We had considered getting a Christmas tree from the onboard gifts but it was quite expensive and we thought a waste as we didn’t then want to cart it around for the rest of our trip. So we had opted to buy a small more portable one from a store when we were at Cape Canaveral the night before we boarded the cruise, which was a good decision.

We had said we were not going to buy each other any presents (me & DW) as we said the entire trip was our gifts to each other, we still bought each other some little presents which was always going to happen! Of course DS got some goodies too. He really wanted to the remote control BB8, but we said we would buy that for him when we got back to Australia, so we got the right charger and also if there were any problems with it we would be able to return it at home.

If you look closely you will see the Christmas tree under the stockings on the floor!
DSC_2235_zps6unetsjq.jpg

DSC_2236_zpslcsblc3a.jpg

We had a good view from our balcony of the ship docking. It was quite a spectacle to watch the docking. There was still a fair amount of time between when we docked and when we could disembark the ship. We opted to go to Royal Court for our Christmas Breakfast which was really nice. A very festive fare and environment with all the cast members in Christmas attire.

DSC_2240_zpsx2rx1bl5.jpg

DSC_2241_zpsoozupfxp.jpg

DSC_2239_zpsgp10fyow.jpg

This photo is a little hazy as it was taken out a porthole window from the Royal Court. You can see the Cast members unloading and getting things ready before guests could disembark.

DSC_2238_zpslonxqao4.jpg

DSC_2244_zpsobfinsf7.jpg

DSC_2243_zpsarbdapei.jpg

DSC_2245_zpse5kgxhbc.jpg

When it was time for us to make our away ashore, we caught one of the transports and made our way over to the family beach area.

DSC_2247_zpsypc35hbv.jpg

It was quite crowded but there was still space and we were able to get some nice beach chairs. Our normal Christmas day is spent opening presents in the morning of course, and then lunch & dinner at our or one of our families houses so either cooking ourselves or travelling between houses. Today we had the presents but then it was all done for us. We just relaxed at the beach, something we had never done before on Christmas day. We had lots of time to just relax and swim. We hired a tube and just waded and floated around the water.

DSC_2250-Edit_zpsxf6qne9x.jpg

I’d never been to a tropical island in paradise before, It really was quite idyllic.
DSC_2253_zps8pbpa7cf.jpg

DSC_2254_zpsckjik8pf.jpg

DSC_2252-Edit_zpszlujgdzj.jpg

DSC_2256_zps7xhl0ijl.jpg

DSC_2264_zpsblnvvxsi.jpg

DSC_2268_zpszaecawf7.jpg

DSC_2271_zpszcpkzw7b.jpg

DSC_2292_zpsgbpoofjb.jpg

Merry Christmas cont..

We were adjacent to the Cabana’s private beach. When I had logged on to the Disney Cruise Website to make our onboard reservations all the cabanas were already booked.

DSC_2289_zpsomkyhvvy.jpg

Not that I would have booked one. They were $US795 which I did not think was worth it for one day. I must say it would have been nice to have access to the private beach, but for that cost I was glad we saved the money. The private beach was really quiet. We had spoken to the Concierge staff the night before and Kemisha & Tawanda said they were working on the island servicing the Cabana guests. At one stage we saw both Tawanda & Kemisha on the private beach. They were trying to get a guest who had decided to swim in the private beach to move. She was told by the cast member who was at the entrance that she wasn’t permitted to go into the area but she ignored him., even her son was trying to get her to stop going in, but she through she should be able to for some reason. This went on for about 20 mins. In the end they had to call security which was unfortunate.

Around 1pm we decided we would go and have lunch. This was a BBQ which was served at Cookies. The food was plentiful as you would expect. I’m not sure it would rate as well as many of the Aussie BBQ’s that would have been firing up back home, but it was nice enough. The icecream machine did pack it in in the heat which was a disappointment for a lot of kids.

DSC_2287_zps6qgusfun.jpg

DSC_2303-Edit_zpsvo7zumy1.jpg

DSC_2304-Edit_zpsg4tstlza.jpg

DSC_2284_zpskle7d8vo.jpg

DSC_2307-Edit_zpsgu3jrvqv.jpg

DSC_2334_zpsbuhzp1bb.jpg

DSC_2320_zps8bapnzo6.jpg

DSC_2363_zpsu4qthw9v.jpg

DSC_2343_zps3ight8bm.jpg

DSC_2381_zpsqytunofh.jpg

DSC_2386_zpsvwxr8hnb.jpg

DSC_2385_zpsnogovgqs.jpg

DSC_2392_zpsat6cpd7w.jpg

DSC_2395_zpsp3qw5ttx.jpg

DSC_2393_zpsuo05gnlu.jpg

Leaving Castaway Cay

Back on board, we got a view of The Dream which was sailing by Castaway Cay

DSC_2399_zps9pufmztt.jpg

DSC_2401_zpslwwyzlt3.jpg

DSC_2405_zpsivfd1gp1.jpg

DSC_2403_zps6db6d6uq.jpg

That night our dinner was in Enchanted Garden and it was a lovely Christmas dinner topped with Christmas pudding. We had a really enjoyable dinner. One of the sons of the family that we shared the table with got really sunburned on Castaway Cay so his brothers were paying out on him a lot through dinner. The mum and dad did ask us what we thought of the Concierge service and if we thought it was worth it. I suppose they thought that we paid the full price for the a Concierge room. When we told them how we were lucky enough to score an upgrade and that I certainly did think it was worth it for us, at the upgrade price, they were really interested in how and started making some notes for their next cruise! We said our goodbyes to our table mates and Mio & Dan our waiter and server. We had prepaid all off our tips. We were given little envelopes with inserts to put into them so we could give to them and also the Head waiter.

The recommended tip amounts were:

Restaurant Server $28
Restaurant Assistant Server $21
Head Server $7
State Room Host $28

These were per person.

Better late than never, this was the sofa bed made up in the suite
DSC_2411-Edit_zpsu2yfcjye.jpg

Our last towel Animal
DSC_2410_zpsri4krsqf.jpg

DSC_2406_zpswx2y4ddm.jpg

DSC_2408_zpsmzwbcrrd.jpg

We weren’t sure if we were going to leave our luggage out or take it ourselves the next morning off the ship. When we got back to our room Ronald was there and asked us if we were going to leave our luggage out. He suggested we do, he said it would be a lot easier in the morning, so we followed his advice.

The room Host tip was prepaid however we also wanted to give a tip to Hubert, the assistant room host. We also tipped the concierge staff and Septi who was the bartender who really looked after us in the lounge and wherever else we saw her on the ship.

We took one last stroll around the decks. Shutters, where all the photos were was so packed. The lineup was so long. At the last minute I decided I wanted to get some of the photos which were taken on board by the Disney photographers. Luckily concierge could sort it all out. And I purchased a USB with all the photos on it, and then when we got back home we could choose 10 which would then be unlocked.

We made our way back to our suite for our last night at sea.

Another great update thanks and it looks like you had a lovely, albeit different to normal, Christmas Day. I can relate to how you felt though. To me, Christmas Day is all about us being with our extended family. When we did our big Dec/Jan Europe trip two years ago, it was a 6 week trip and so we had to depart NZ mid December to fit it all in. I knew I'd find it hard on Christmas Day as I'd be missing our family so, whilst I would never normally choose to go to a theme park on one of the busiest days of the year, I deliberately planned for Christmas Day to be our Disneyland Paris day. So we got up early, quickly did presents and then got on the train out to Disney. We were there for rope drop and then proceeded to have a whirlwind day doing both Disney parks. Needless to say, it really helped combat my home-sickness!

Another great update thanks and it looks like you had a lovely, albeit different to normal, Christmas Day. I can relate to how you felt though. To me, Christmas Day is all about us being with our extended family. When we did our big Dec/Jan Europe trip two years ago, it was a 6 week trip and so we had to depart NZ mid December to fit it all in. I knew I'd find it hard on Christmas Day as I'd be missing our family so, whilst I would never normally choose to go to a theme park on one of the busiest days of the year, I deliberately planned for Christmas Day to be our Disneyland Paris day. So we got up early, quickly did presents and then got on the train out to Disney. We were there for rope drop and then proceeded to have a whirlwind day doing both Disney parks. Needless to say, it really helped combat my home-sickness!

When planning the trip we had tossed up a lot of options for where we would spend Christmas. Our choice suited us very well, we would have missed our families no matter where we were, being on the Cruise and Castaway Cay on Christmas day was a unique experience for us and one we will all treasure for many years to come.

Before I wrap up the cruise I thought I’d post a few thoughts about our experiences onboard. I asked DW & DS for their input also. It was unanimously agreed that we all enjoyed Castaway Cay as our favourite port. The most disappointing port was Tortola, mainly because it clearly wasn’t ready to receive guests yet. We also unanimously agreed that we should have done some port excursions/activities. Even if it was just a tour of the island/port. Live and learn, that we have. DW favourite activity was Bingo and the Aquaduck, DS was Playmation at Edge and Aqua Duck also. Dining, Palo was a clear winner for both DW & I. Animators Palate was all our favourite table service (regular) restaurant. And the Star Wars premiere got a great mention also.

When planning I was a little worried about how crowded the Cruise would be. When I had heard that it was a sell out, this only reinforced these worries. Overall the cruise was not as crowded as I thought it would be. The only real time it felt crowded was at the Muster at the beginning. After this, even at the Sail Away party it just seemed that there was always plenty of room and people had plenty of others places they could be.

Of course we were all pleased that the upgrade came off for us, this started our cruise off better than I could have wished for. When the sea sickness hit DS & DW I was soon really starting to think it was going to be a terrible trip especially for DS who had been so looking forward to the cruise. Thankfully they both got over this in a day or so and we really were able to enjoy our first Christmas away and our first, but likely not last cruise. For me the highlight was the memories we created as a family experiencing something so different to what we have ever done together.

Awesome and thanks for your final thoughts about the cruise. I'm so pleased it turned out so well and I wonder how long it will be until you do your next one!

Now I'm so keen to hear about the rest of your trip too. Thanks so much for doing this TR :)

Disembarkation..Orlando to Washington

I’m always a little uneasy about leaving our luggage in the hands of someone else. Our trip to WDW in 2013 our bags didn’t make it from WDW to our flight back to LA and some ended up going to Dallas some to New York and we got them all back around midnight that night in LA. While with the cruise this was a little different, we just had to pick our luggage up after we got to the customs area, I was still keeping my fingers crossed there wouldn’t be any issues.

When we woke up we had already docked back in Cape Canaveral. We had an 8:30am car pick-up. We were advised that we shouldn’t book flights before 12pm. There was an 11:50am but we did the right thing and we booked the flight after this which was 2:30pm. We had flexible flights so I knew that if we got to the airport early enough we would be able to make the earlier flight.

DSC_2418_zpshhlrpfkh.jpg

DSC_2416_zpssulkxkny.jpg

We had breakfast at the Concierge lounge, which was a light continental one. The concierge had the USB which I ordered the night before which had our cruise photos on it. We said our goodbyes to Amanda, Tawanda & Kemisha who had taken really good care of us during our cruise. We sat in the concierge a little while and before too long we were told we could disembark. It was about 7:45. We decided to leave, we got into the the main hall and were directed to where all the concierge guest's luggage was placed. We were approached by a porter who asked us if we wanted help and we said yes. He grabbed all our luggage and took us to the queue for Customs. A few moments later we were walking out the doors. The porter took us to the pick-up area and unloaded our luggage for us. We were still quite early for our driver. I called Execucar to let them know we were ready early, but we still had about a 20 min wait. Our driver arrived close to our original pickup time at 8:30am, it was the same driver who had taken us from WDW to Cape Canaveral a week ago. It was about a 50 min trip to the Orlando Airport for our just over 2 hour flight to Washington DC. We were going to be at the airport really early for our 2:30pm flight, but I was hopeful we could catch either the 10:50 or 11:50 flight. I had checked seats and knew there were still seats available on both these flights.

We got to the airport around 9:30. I was working back from a 10:50 flight thinking if we needed to board 30 mins before we would have to be at the gate at 10:20, which meant we had about 50 mins to check in, and get through security. This seemed quite doable, but I know DW likes to have a good cushion of time for flights, so I decided we would try and change to the 11:50 flight which gave us a good buffer in case there were any delays getting through security, remembering it was Boxing Day today. This proved to be the right decision. The Airport was packed.

When we got to security, even though we had priority security, the lineup was incredibly long. It took us close to 40 mins to get through. We got through security after 10:20 which was the boarding time had we moved to the 10:50 flight. We had a short amount of time to kill, we had something to eat and moved to the gate around 11:10 for the 11:20 boarding. We were seated in row 3, it was really tight business class (American Airlines called it First Class) cabin and seats. It was a short 2 hour flight. I had a spare seat next to me and DS & DW sat across the aisle from me. We were served a refreshment which was pita bread and hummus, warm nuts and a drink.

IMG_1739_zpsesykj630.jpg

IMG_1745_zpsxasjarhp.jpg

IMG_1742_zpshakzyinz.jpg

DS & DW got a few zzz’s, I was too excited to sleep. I have wanted to see DC since I was a teenager and the fact we were able to get an earlier flight meant that I knew we would be able to go straight down to the White House which was just on the next block from our Hotel. Little did I know we would have another surprise to enjoy before we got to the White House…

Last edited:
Washington DC - Willard Intercontinental Hotel

We touched down at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport Arlington. I had called Execucar when were at Orlando airport to change our pick up time. We disembarked the plane and made our way to the baggage area. This is normally where the Driver was waiting for us. This time there wasn’t anyone here. It was ok, because the luggage hadn’t come out yet. We waited a little while and then a few moments later I got a call from the driver who told me that there was nowhere for him to park and leave his car and come it and asked if it was ok if we got our own luggage and made our way to the pic-up area. We had paid for a Meet and Greet service which, on every other occasion was exactly that, they meet you at the baggage and arrange all the bags and take them to the car. It was no big deal I thought, I was just excited that I would seeing be seeing the White House! The luggage did take a bit longer than expected to come out, but eventually we had it all and we made our way out of the airport. This was then our first experience of really cold weather. We did have jackets on, but really were not prepared for the 4 degrees that it was. Luckily we were soon into the SUV which was waiting for us and warming up again.

I had originally booked the Capitol Hilton. In September before we left, I changed our booking to the Willard Intercontinental Hotel. There were a couple of reasons for this. I had looked at this hotel before I had booked Capitol Hilton, but it was more expensive and I thought the Hilton suited us better. I was reading various blogs and hotel review and the more I read about the Willard the more I really liked it. I had learned that President Lincoln had stayed here as had many other presidents. The bill for Lincolns stay was framed and was hanging in the lobby. I also learned various political advocates used to wait in the ‘lobby’ of this hotel for an opportunity to talk to the then President Ulysses S. Grant to push their agenda and so the term ‘lobbist’ was coined.

I followed the Willard’s Facebook page which posted various sites and experiences from the hotel and became more and more interested. I am an Intercontinental loyalty member and one of my perks is an automatic room upgrade. So I started communicating with the reservations manager over email to see which rooms gave me which upgrade. Eventually I settle on booking the Jr suite (600sq ft) which upgraded us automatically to the Executive Suite (1100 sq ft). Both had two queen beds in it so was perfect for us. It was a little bit more expensive the Hilton, but it was so close to the White House and had so much Presidential History, DW said to me that I would regret it if we didn’t stay there so said I should book it, which I did.

I had checked the IHG app on my phone when were at the Airport and it showed our reservation, though It showed that we had two rooms booked which I thought was strange. Anyway when we arrived at the hotel, our driver and the doorman arranged our luggage and we went inside out of the cold. The lobby was decorated for Christmas and looked so grand. As soon as I stepped in I was glad we were staying here. We were served by one of the reception staff. He welcomed us and quickly had our booking, he said we had two rooms booked. I said no we didn’t but we were meant to have an upgrade form the Jr Suite. He said we certainly did. He gave us our keys. We were waiting for the lift and the bell staff had our luggage so we rode up in the elevator together and he led us to our room. Now when we made our way to the door, I started to get a feeling we were getting some pixie dust coming our way. There was a plaque on the door of our room which read “Abraham Lincoln Suite” We opened the door and we were just blown away. I’ll let the photos speak for themselves first.

DSC_2847_zpsffn12qm0.jpg

Yep, a lounge room and Dining room!
DSC_2419_zps2o8luowm.jpg

DSC_2420_zps3vabfkry.jpg

DSC_2421_zpsz2zietzf.jpg

That’s the “mini bar’
DSC_2422_zps5kndgdy8.jpg

This is and actual “Butler’s Pantry”. It had its own entrance where the ‘help’ could come in and prepare the meals which could be served to dignitaries at the dining table.
DSC_2423_zpskoko9tet.jpg

DSC_2424_zps1g6kn5hl.jpg

DSC_2425_zpskfmmmjlo.jpg

DSC_2426_zps63ezgqxu.jpg

Some Art of the suite namesake
DSC_2427_zpsvt05mz7w.jpg

Union Commanders
DSC_2428_zps22wlvqch.jpg

Full size bathroom with Shower tub and vanity
DSC_2429_zpsg228qqsv.jpg

Bedroom
DSC_2430_zpsl0pfvjpu.jpg

DSC_2431_zpsxqgnab2l.jpg

Desk in bedroom
DSC_2432_zpspu3eh5ft.jpg

DSC_2433_zpskedqu4gk.jpg

Quite honestly, it was the most amazing hotel suite I’d ever stayed in my life and I’ve stayed in a lot of hotel rooms! We were told that President Clinton and his Wife had stayed here as had many foreign dignitaries . I really couldn’t believe our luck. How amazing for our stay in DC

We did have one problem though, there was only one bed. I called down to the reception and asked if we could get a roll away bed. The reception staff said certainly, we said that we were on our way out and we would see them as we were leaving. Little did we know there was still something more to come… (that will have to wait till tomorrow now because I'm tired now!)

Last edited:
EDGE ON THE DISNEY FANTASY: A REVIEW BY DS

I barely spent ANY time at Edge. I think I know where the name came from! They were at the ‘edge’ of their budget when they built it. It is TINY!! We walked past the Oceaneer Club and It was ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE!!!

So, Edge wasn’t the best kids club, but it was kinda fun at times. My only thing would be the size and how certain activities interrupt/stop video games.

-lffamDSon

This made me think about my oldest ds when we were on the sister ship, Dream. We checked out Oceaneers first, before the muster drill. At the Sail Away Party, we were on the 12th Deck & I spotted the Edge entrance. When we went in to register YDS, ODS said, "Umm, if you go from the kids' club to this, what is Vibe in, a classroom?" lol. He was very pleased to find that it was not ;).

YDS didn't care for the interrupting of video games for activities either.

This made me think about my oldest ds when we were on the sister ship, Dream. We checked out Oceaneers first, before the muster drill. At the Sail Away Party, we were on the 12th Deck & I spotted the Edge entrance. When we went in to register YDS, ODS said, "Umm, if you go from the kids' club to this, what is Vibe in, a classroom?" lol. He was very pleased to find that it was not ;).

YDS didn't care for the interrupting of video games for activities either.

DS had built Edge up in his mind a lot and teh reality didnt quite match for him, but as he said in his review there were good parts to it which he enjoyed. If/when we go on the next one he will be ready for Vibe so that will be a different story!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter