We Ditched The Kids! - UPDATE (7/22 - NYC trip)

Can't wait to read! We have 6 kids (think Brady Bunch with 5 boys and 1 girl - see her over there - she shoots arrows constantly at the boys) - ranging 4 to 18. Point is there are no adults only anything so I will live jealously and vicariously through your report :).

:welcome: aboard! And 6 kids! God bless you. Jim Gaffigan once said that having 4 kids was like this:

"Imaging you're drowning, and somebody hands you a baby."

So 6 must include a shark and a hurricane in that scenario.

By the way hehe - TPS reports actually did exist at one point. In the military - they are / were software Test Procedure or Protocol Specifications - see what a nerd I am.. :badpc: - I helped oversee Y2K AF conversions (we like acronyms - I was an O3 at that time). Today we refer to them more as Software Validation Protocols and Reports as Office Space kind of forced a change in meaning (now refers to more of wasted garbage type things you have to do which actually could be most lol). The cover sheets contain approvals showing they are complete.

If the VP is such a VIP, shouldn't we keep the PC on the QT? 'Cause if it leaks to the VC, he could end up MIA, and we'd all be put out on KP.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I actually had no idea TPS reports were a real thing. I'm sure every line of work has its bureaucratic paperwork, though.

looking forward to hearing about your grown up trip to WDW! Someday I will stay at the Poly...

:welcome:Isn't it fun to dream?

Yeah, I suppose. But WDW is still the elusive great white whale of a parents-only trip. And I always say that we bought into DVC when I had the realization that I would like to go to Disney without the kids, so it wasn't a purchase that we would grow out of.

It's nice to have DVC to make it possible. I bet it happens sooner rather than later.

Hey, sssssh. :ssst:

Yeah, Marv! Sheesh.

Well, maybe I saw half of those. A long, long, long time ago.

Good thing I'm not keeping track of these!

True. I never went back home (to live) once I left for school, but I didn't turn down a family vacation to Hawaii when my folks offered it three years into college!

Can't blame you there. For Hawaii, you make it work!

Well Fran handled all her parent's taxes for as long as I've known her, so it wasn't a matter of not being in order. We just didn't get the figures to the accountant until about three weeks before the death taxes were required to be filed.

Hey, as long as you made the deadline. That's all that matters.

It took us 18 months to start the process (estate sale, moving out what didn't sell, painting, remodeling). My track record isn't so good. :rolleyes1

I'm sure it doesn't help when you keep adding more stuff from gift shops! :rolleyes1:rotfl2:

I suspect that movie is in a genre of movie that is not on my watch list.

The "Schwarzenegger blood-and-guts" genre?

Well I'm not as good at it as some of the DIS Dads, but I do my best.

I'm sure you'll hold your own.

I am totally on board for this ride!!! DH and I did our first adults-only trip a couple years ago and it was AMAZING!!! Our best trip ever! And we definitely decided we're getting AP's once we finally manage to kick the kids out of the house (or another adults-only trip on some random date in the future where we tell the kids we're taking a very boring anniversary trip to, say, Gatlinburg). I missed them but we had so much fun doing everything the kids would have hated and avoiding everything they would have loved. Got to eat at some amazing restaurants and ride rides they hate. It was wonderful.

I am totally on board for this ride!!! DH and I did our first adults-only trip a couple years ago and it was AMAZING!!! Our best trip ever! And we definitely decided we're getting AP's once we finally manage to kick the kids out of the house (or another adults-only trip on some random date in the future where we tell the kids we're taking a very boring anniversary trip to, say, Gatlinburg). I missed them but we had so much fun doing everything the kids would have hated and avoiding everything they would have loved. Got to eat at some amazing restaurants and ride rides they hate. It was wonderful.

:welcome: That sounds like heaven. I should try it sometime! :rotfl:

WHOOOOP! Just got back from an Adults Only 10 year anniversary trip. It was AMAZING! Hope you guys had as much fun as we did :)

Checking in. Not my kind of trip, but can see why others would like it.

Oh, I am so in! A Disney World trip just me and my husband would be a dream. Definitely in the plans once the munchkin is out of the house ::yes::

Finally catching up! And trust me... it warn't easy!

(Or, How To Take An Adults-Only Trip To Disney World And Totally Get Away With It Without Your Kids Rebelling or Changing The Locks)

Locks schmocks. You just hire a good locksmith to meet you at the house upon your return.

Psssst.

Hey, you. Yeah, you. With the over-sized cup of coffee and the bags under your eyes.

It's hot chocolate, actually. But yes. That's me.

Come here.

Okay.

Over here.

I am. Stop moving.

Turn around.

Huh?

Do the hokey-pokey.

NOW CUT THAT OUT!!

Sorry, I just wanted to see if you’d do it.

Nice try, buddy.
But you gotta get up pretty early if you want me to put my left foot in, put my left foot out, put my left foot in and ....

Dang it!!!

Let’s be honest. You don’t want to be at work right now.

Congratulations! You've just become the winner of the most obvious thing ever said award!!
(No cash value)

You want to be at Disney World.

And we have another winnah!

That’s why you’re sneaking peeks at the DISboards. But there’s more to it, isn’t there? You have a secret, unspoken wish. You can only whisper it. Anything more than a whisper and it will vanish.

You want to go to Disney World without the kids.

Been there. Done that. :snooty:

There, I said it. Look around furtively, see if anybody noticed. Go ahead, I’ll wait.

OMG! How did you know they'd be staring like that!

or finding a Presidential candidate who displays humility, honesty, and an actual plan to help average citizens. Impossible, right?

:rolleyes1

*--Ok, yes, we did have to spend the GDP of Guam in the gift shops in order to buy our way back into their hearts, but our peace offerings must have been acceptable, because they let us back in the house.

I'm telling ya. A locksmith probably would've been cheaper.

Who are we?

Who, who, who, who?

IMG_9635.jpg

That's you.
You're welcome.

I’m known on the boards as Captain_Oblivious, which actually does have some meaning. Remind me to tell you the story sometime.

Tell the story.

Others of you may know me as “Dork”, “Jerk-face”, or That Annoying Guy Who Can’t Come Up With Original Material So He Hides TV/Movie Quotes In His Trip Reports

As well as... oh. Right. The DIS will just replace everything I write with asterisks.

We are travelers first, and Disney geeks second.

This describes me as well.

We’re trying to instill the love of exploration in our kids as well,

::yes:: And I think that's an incredible gift. I really do.

And sometimes, we really, really need a break. Those of you who are parents don’t need me to explain that.

::yes::

I remain fascinated at how such a large and complicated place can be run, for the most part, so efficiently and smoothly.

Yes!

I was turning 40, while Julie does not age but likes celebrations and thought she’d play along.

I like how you put that. I may steal it.

…and then Baby Drew happened.

Surprise!!!

1. Willing and available babysitters.

Or unwilling. Whatever.

The blessing of being an only child is that there is no one to fight with over the inheritance.

Ah yes. We already know that there's going to be a battle when Ruby's mother passes.

The curse is that you have to do all the work of closing the estate yourself.

We also are pretty confident that we will wind up doing the work.

But we also thought we should have a little bit of fun. So we put a little bit aside to make the trip possible.

Good! I would think that's what he would've wanted.

And they’ll want to travel to Disney World with this person. Without Mom & Dad in tow (unless we’re footing the bill, of course).

Instead, we twisted our own arms and held our noses and took a room at the Polynesian resort instead. You can imagine the disappointment.

Ugh. That's horrible. I don't know how you'll manage.

(more people means cheaper lodging),

Oh, I know. I really know.

so we went ahead and booked the Keys To The Kingdom Tour

Nice!

Looking forward to reading along on your adventure! I would really like to visit WDW around Christmas one year to see all the decorations.

WHOOOOP! Just got back from an Adults Only 10 year anniversary trip. It was AMAZING! Hope you guys had as much fun as we did :)

:welcome: You have to work hard not to have fun at Disney World!

Checking in. Not my kind of trip, but can see why others would like it.

:welcome: Shawn! And :rotfl2:

Oh, I am so in! A Disney World trip just me and my husband would be a dream. Definitely in the plans once the munchkin is out of the house ::yes::

:welcome: Trust me, it's ok while the munchkin is still around, too! Mom and Dad need alone time.

Looking forward to reading along on your adventure! I would really like to visit WDW around Christmas one year to see all the decorations.

:welcome: Glad you made it! That was our feeling on Christmas as well. We really wanted to see the place decked out.

Finally catching up! And trust me... it warn't easy!

I believe you! I'd struggle reading my drivel, too.

Locks schmocks. You just hire a good locksmith to meet you at the house upon your return.

This sounds like the voice of experience.

It's hot chocolate, actually. But yes. That's me.

Whatever floats your boat. I didn't drink coffee for 30 years until David was born. :faint:

I am. Stop moving.

NOW CUT THAT OUT!!

Nice try, buddy.
But you gotta get up pretty early if you want me to put my left foot in, put my left foot out, put my left foot in and ....

Dang it!!!

:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao: Gets 'em every time.

Congratulations! You've just become the winner of the most obvious thing ever said award!!
(No cash value)

And we have another winnah!

Maybe I should make a slight adjustment to my username...

Been there. Done that. :snooty:

Well, sure, just take all the wind out of my sails.

OMG! How did you know they'd be staring like that!

Hey, I've seen your photo.

I'm telling ya. A locksmith probably would've been cheaper.

You know, I can't argue with that. I really can't.

Who, who, who, who?

What are you, an owl?

That's you.
You're welcome.

Oh, there I am!

Tell the story.

I did, but you might have missed it buried in the responses. Here you go:

Well, it's pretty simple. There was a girl I liked in college. Before I met Julie, naturally. I was painfully shy around women, so I hadn't built up the courage to ask her out. We were a part of the same Christian student group and one Saturday, a bunch of us were doing a service project, serving breakfast at the Ronald McDonald House for the guests there. At the very end of our shift, we got to eat breakfast ourselves. The big table was mostly full, and there was a side table for two. This girl sat by herself at the side table. I was one of the last ones to get my food and was busy preparing my plate. Someone invited the girl over to the big table, and she said, "No, that's ok, Mark will sit with me here."

:woohoo:party::cool1::banana::cheer2::jumping1:

Except...

I didn't hear her. Totally missed it. I don't know if I was zoned out staring at a plate of bacon, or what. But I had no idea she had said anything. And naturally, not wanting to be too forward or obvious, I piled my plate high with food and sat at the big table.

:sad2:

A few friends both knew of my attraction to her and had heard her invitation loud and clear. One even asked, "What are you DOING???" And I had no idea what he was talking about.

Thus was born Captain Oblivious.

At least I didn't screw it up with Julie.

As well as... oh. Right. The DIS will just replace everything I write with asterisks.

Well, ****.

This describes me as well.

My brother from another mother!

::yes:: And I think that's an incredible gift. I really do.

Thank you, sir. I appreciate that.

I like how you put that. I may steal it.

Steal away! Gotta tread carefully when discussing age.

Surprise!!!

Or unwilling. Whatever.

Sure. Just keep 'em alive. That's all we need.

Ah yes. We already know that there's going to be a battle when Ruby's mother passes.

Yay! Those are the worst. I hear so many horror stories.

We also are pretty confident that we will wind up doing the work.

:sad2: None of the benefits, all of the responsibility. Hooray!

Good! I would think that's what he would've wanted.

We thought so too. And for sure her mother would have said something along those lines.

Ugh. That's horrible. I don't know how you'll manage.

And yet, we soldiered on.

Oh, I know. I really know.

The cheapest we can find!

It was really cool!

You know what the obvious next line is here...
So I'll just go ahead and post the line after that for you (just to - you know - save time)...

"No I'm not!"

+1:thumbsup2 Now, onto the first chapter.

I believe you! I'd struggle reading my drivel, too.

It's not the reading, per se. It's the constant feeling of nausea while you're reading.

This sounds like the voice of experience.

:rolleyes1

Whatever floats your boat. I didn't drink coffee for 30 years until David was born. :faint:

Ah yes. The newborn (aka sleepless) years.

Well, sure, just take all the wind out of my sails.

You're welcome!

Hey, I've seen your photo.

Sorry about that.

What are you, an owl?

Ha! That's a hoot!

I did, but you might have missed it buried in the responses.

Well, it's pretty simple. There was a girl I liked in college. Before I met Julie, naturally. I was painfully shy around women, so I hadn't built up the courage to ask her out. We were a part of the same Christian student group and one Saturday, a bunch of us were doing a service project, serving breakfast at the Ronald McDonald House for the guests there. At the very end of our shift, we got to eat breakfast ourselves. The big table was mostly full, and there was a side table for two. This girl sat by herself at the side table. I was one of the last ones to get my food and was busy preparing my plate. Someone invited the girl over to the big table, and she said, "No, that's ok, Mark will sit with me here."

:woohoo:party::cool1::banana::cheer2::jumping1:

Except...

I didn't hear her. Totally missed it. I don't know if I was zoned out staring at a plate of bacon, or what. But I had no idea she had said anything. And naturally, not wanting to be too forward or obvious, I piled my plate high with food and sat at the big table.

A few friends both knew of my attraction to her and had heard her invitation loud and clear. One even asked, "What are you DOING???" And I had no idea what he was talking about.

Thus was born Captain Oblivious.

At least I didn't screw it up with Julie.

I understand. Bacon is the root cause for many a misunderstanding.

Sure. Just keep 'em alive. That's all we need.

What else is there?

Yay! Those are the worst. I hear so many horror stories.

It's not the reading, per se. It's the constant feeling of nausea while you're reading.

Well, you should probably stop trying to read while you're swimming.

Ah yes. The newborn (aka sleepless) years.

Our first kid was easy. That's what suckered us into having more.

You're welcome!

Fine, you tell the story!

Sorry about that.

My eyes!

Ha! That's a hoot!

I understand. Bacon is the root cause for many a misunderstanding.

I'm sorry, what was that? I missed everything after bacon.

What else is there?

Um...I'll have to get back to you.

Chapter 1: The Secret To Surviving Air Travel? Fists With Your Toes.

We were a little rusty at this whole “traveling without the kids” thing.

First, a confession: I’m one of the few people left in America who still actually enjoys air travel. I know, the TSA and the airlines have done their very best to suck all the joy and fun out of it, but I remain fascinated by the ability to safely travel all over the country in a matter of a few hours at an altitude of 35,000 feet. I love getting the window seat and looking down on the earth below, a perspective that never grows old.

I do, however, hate trying to herd 4 kids, a stroller, and several bags through the check-in and security lines. The prospect of walking through an airport accompanied by only my wife and minimal baggage was a brand-new concept. As we packed the car, it was hard not to shake the feeling that we were forgetting something. We usually have that feeling anyway, but I think it was magnified by not having to take nearly as much crap as is typical.

Nope, it wasn’t the baby. We secured him in his car seat and drove to my parents’ house. The older kids were already at school and my parents would be picking them up later. It didn’t take long to unload the kids’ bags. We said our goodbyes, stepped outside, and with a noticeable lack of ceremony, we drove away.

It’s 106 miles to Baltimore, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it’s dark…and we’re wearing sunglasses.

Actually, it was 86 miles, the tank was 75% full, neither of us smokes, and there was bright sunlight. But we were wearing sunglasses.

The point is: we were free! Free at last! As soon as we left the development and hit the open road, I floored the gas pedal to leave the shackles of responsibility behind. We sped on, 5 miles, 10 miles, 15, blasting through rural Delaware with dreams of Dole Whips dancing in our heads. Julie and I couldn’t stop grinning at each other. I looked in the rear-view mirror, catching a glimpse through the window just over the baby’s car seat of the city of Dover disappearing into the horizon. Glorious freedom! All of our worries and frustrations dwindling in that rear-view mirror, just over the—

The baby’s car seat.

Still in the car. We didn’t leave it at my parents’ house.

Man, we suck at this.

We pulled over and called my parents, and my mother drove out to meet us halfway at a gas station we’d passed on the way out of town. We gave her the car seat and thanked her profusely for driving out to meet us. We climbed back into the car and set off again for Baltimore. So…where was I?

Freedom! Glorious freedom!

We made it to BWI with no further incident. Parked the car in long-term parking, got to the terminal, check our bag, did the TSA Tango, and grabbed our first gourmet meal of the trip at the Arby’s in the BWI food court. Hey, even Arby’s tastes good when you’re not differentiating 6 different orders, silencing the whiny kid who would rather eat at McDonald’s, strapping the baby into a high chair too with a belt that doesn’t seem to stretch far enough to close securely, and racing to grab napkins to wipe up the spilled Pepsi.

Speaking of Pepsi, Julie ordered a Diet Pepsi with her meal. The guy at the counter asked if she’d tried the new Diet Pepsi yet. It’s now aspartame-free. Julie said no, so he said he’d give her a sample in a tiny Dixie cup. She took a sip, and immediately made the Beverly face. Then she ordered a regular Pepsi.

So now we know that the (very thin) line separating diet sodas and Beverly is in fact aspartame. I was never one to tempt fate by drinking that diet crap anyway, though.

We flew Southwest Airlines to Orlando. Southwest has mastered the art of filling up their planes to capacity for each flight, and getting everyone to buy the “early seating” option to ensure that they get to board the plane first and have their choice of seats. Julie and I are too cheap for that, so we checked in precisely 24 hours ahead of the flight time and still got stuck in the back of the B group. Oh, well. We got to sit together, and that’s all that mattered.

2 hours and a few chapters of a decent book later, we could see palm trees outside of our window.

Does that ever get old? I’ll answer that for you: no. No, it doesn’t.

I’ll never understand why everyone on a plane stands up as soon as the plane arrives at the gate. You’re sitting in row 21. You’re not going anywhere for a while. We took the time to put on our Disney Magic Bands®, so we could clearly label ourselves as Disney property for the next few days.

Once we were off the plane, we took the Not-A-Monorail to the main terminal. We stopped by the Universal Studios store to scout out the Harry Potter paraphernalia. Since we knew we’d have to bring back bribes for the kids on our return, and my daughter Sarah is the World’s Biggest Harry Potter Fan (as determined by a biased non-scientific family poll), we figured it would be a good place to look. I grabbed a few photos and texted them to Sarah to see if anything particularly caught her eye. I got this response:

IMG_0660%25255B1%25255D.PNG

This is going to be interesting when we finally break down and take her to Universal Studios. I should start applying for loans now.

With our choices helpfully narrowed down, we skipped the baggage claim (that never gets old, either) and headed for the Magical Express. Just ahead of us there was a massive crowd of people, easily 50 or so, walking slowly and blocking our path. Just our luck. Thankfully, they stopped short of the ME lines to re-group, so we audibled to a jet sweep and broke into the open field, just like the Eagles when they—sorry, bad example. Just like a team with a functional running back and offensive line.

The ME desk gave us our first chance to use the Magic Bands at the “tapstiles” (®@pkondz). There we learned that you couldn’t just tap it and go, but had to hold it there at an awkward angle until the light-up spinny-thingy (technical term) turned green. It took a couple of tries to get the hang of it, but we were up to the challenge.

We had not paid for the Express Bus Pass, but somehow we lucked out and the bus pulled away within a couple minutes of boarding. I’d already receive the text that our room was ready and we could bypass the front desk, so we settled in with the other people who’d already booked a Walt Disney World vacation to watch a video telling us why we should book a Walt Disney World vacation.

We lucked out again: the Polynesian Resort was the first stop. Julie and I got off the bus and immediately got le—uh, the greeter gave us leis and greeted us with a warm Aloha! We walked through the doors and were immediately met with the Disney Smell. I’m not sure what it is, but all Disney resorts and buildings smell the same. We even noticed it in Aulani and Disneyland. It’s one of those little things that tells you you’re home.

IMG_0430.JPG

Our room was in the Moorea building. If you don’t know the layout of the Polynesian Village Resort, here’s a handy map.

IMG_2116.JPG

As you can see, Moorea is in the upper-right corner of the property. We would soon learn that our room was in the farthest corner of the farthest building from the main lobby.

Just outside on the lawn, the torch-lighting ceremony had begun. So we stood and watched the fire-dancers for a bit. I love these little bits of magic. It’s what makes Disney, Disney. Sorry about the lousy photo—we didn’t have the good camera out of the bag yet.

IMG_0431.JPG

We began the long walk to our room. Thank goodness the “We’re at Disney World!” adrenaline was still pumping. We finally entered the Moorea building near the Men In Black exam chairs:

IMG_1996.JPG

We were in room 1039. It was one of the new DVC Polynesian studios, as the room discount had given us a better deal on that one vs. the standard rooms. I thought they looked great inside.

IMG_1287.JPG

I loved the art on the wall next to the pull-down bed under the TV:

IMG_1283.JPG

And you can’t beat a tiki lamp.

IMG_1281.JPG

Art in the bathroom:

IMG_1292.JPG

We didn’t stay long in the room. We had a dinner reservation to keep. As I mentioned in the opening, 4 out of our 5 ADR’s were going to be new to us. The first was one that came highly recommended by many of our friends both here on the boards and at home—Boma: Flavors of Africa.

It was at this point that we made a discovery: instead of being a liability, our location at the very end of the Moorea building was actually a blessing in disguise. We were less than a 5-minute walk from the Transportation and Ticket Center, which made it very easy to move around the resort. Within a few minutes we were standing on the upper level of the Admiral Joe Fowler (using the ferry here was new to us, too) and enjoying this view as we floated towards the Magic Kingdom:

IMG_1308.JPG

I think it was at this point that I wrapped Julie in my arms and said something to the effect of, “I can’t believe we’re actually doing this.” We both agreed there that it felt like we were getting away with something. We’d never seen the castle’s icicle lights in person before, and they were breathtaking, even from a distance.

We turned right at the dock and went to the bus-loading area for the Animal Kingdom Lodge. There, our bus luck immediately ran out as we sat and waited for about fifteen minutes. Maybe that Express Bus Pass is only offered in Canada.

Eventually, we arrived at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. That’s one of my favorite buildings ever. The theme there is second to none. It makes my jaw drop every time I walk into the lobby in Jambo House. And then when you see the place decked out for the holidays…

IMG_1314.JPG

IMG_1315.JPG

IMG_1323.JPG

You know what? Let’s just never leave.

IMG_1318.JPG

Boma: Flavors of Africa is a buffet featuring African-inspired dishes (with plenty of American-ized offerings for your less adventurous dining companions). We’ve never eaten here, because our children are not adventurous eaters.

Ok, fine. I’m not an adventurous eater.

But I figured it’s a buffet. I’d be able to find something. I’d heard amazing raves about the soups here, but I found myself ignoring them once I read the labels. Curry? No thanks. Coconut? Nope. Squash? Might as well be brussels sprouts mixed with rat poison. However, the server recommended a soup called mulligatawny, saying it was made from chicken and apples, was somewhat sweet and was terrific served over rice. Sounded good, so I gave that one a shot. Then I loaded up on meat and starches, like a proper Ugly American should.

IMG_1325.JPG

Julie has a slightly broader palate. She liked the fufu, which is a mix of mashed and sweet potatoes. They also had a cranberry relish that she raved about.

IMG_1326.JPG

I loved the meats. And the tamarind bbq sauce. They were serving turkey since it was the holiday season, as well as chicken and grilled beef strip loin. I went for several helpings, since it’s a buffet and you have to make sure you get good value for your money. As far as the mulligatawney goes, I liked it ok. But it had some heat to it, and I couldn't taste any apples or sweetness at all.

We availed ourselves of the desserts as well. Julie declared zebra domes her new favorite thing ever, at least until she discovers the next one.

IMG_1329.JPG

All in all, Boma gets a hearty two thumbs-up from both the adventurous and the non-adventurous eater. There was enough variety that I think even our kids would do well here.

My wife had not had a hot meal in thirteen years. Our server was nice enough to take a photo to record this momentous occasion, complete with the absence of squirmy, screaming children begging to get out of the high chair.

IMG_1330.JPG

I’d say we were off to a darn good start. We even timed our return trip just right. We rode a bus back to the Magic Kingdom, hustled over to the ferry (the Admiral Joe Fowler once again), and climbed to the top deck just in time.

IMG_1341.JPG

I have to say, if you can’t be in the park itself, watching the fireworks from the ferry proved to be a pretty spectacular location.

Even better, this particular evening was a Christmas Party evening, so we were pleasantly surprised at the end of the show when the fireworks went widescreen on us.

IMG_1356.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

Seeing the entire sky light up, reflected on the water, was a fantastic start to our mini-vacation.

We didn’t quite shut down for the evening. We went back to the Great Ceremonial House to wander the lobby and the shops, and just enjoy the fact that (pinch us!) we were actually staying at the Polynesian Village Resort. One of our goals for the trip was to see the various Christmas decorations at all of the resorts, so this was an easy way to check another one off the list.

IMG_1366.JPG

I wasn’t sure I’d be happy with the new lobby since they’d removed the big waterfall garden, but now that I’ve seen it, I like the new one better. It’s more roomy and bright, and seems to fit a deluxe resort a little better.

IMG_1369.JPG

I can say this, of course, from my extensive experience staying at high-end deluxe resorts all the time.

For some reason, we took photos of the decorations on the tree, but not the tree itself. I guess along with these milestone birthdays come more frequent brain farts.

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

I love the fishing globes hanging from the ceiling. They give the place an exotic feel.

IMG_1378.JPG

IMG_1380.JPG

Eventually, we stopped trying to do mental arithmetic on the items that caught our eyes in the gift shop and resigned ourselves to a second mortgage. Having made that decision, we walked back to our room. Rope Drop waits for no one, after all.

Coming Up Next: Experimental Prototype Christmas Decorations.

What a wonderful beginning!!! Oh man, the feeling of not being a pack mule must be wonderful. My daughter is 18 so I'm getting close to that magical moment when MY stuff is the only stuff I need to keep track of! Julie looks sooooo happy to be enjoying a hot meal! Oh, and you don't look too bad yourself. How magical it must have been to see the fireworks from the ferry. Yep, I don't know what could have made your first evening better! Can't wait to read more. I love your writing style --- there's a bit of sarcasm and that's awesome!!!

It’s 106 miles to Baltimore, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it’s dark…and we’re wearing sunglasses.

Blues Brothers

Actually, it was 86 miles, the tank was 75% full, neither of us smokes, and there was bright sunlight. But we were wearing sunglasses.

The trip is off to a great start...thankfully it was only the babyseat and not the baby!

Boma is great...try breakfast there sometime! Love all the holiday decorations!

Jill in CO

I don't know if you could have planned your ferry trip better for that fireworks shot! Amazing!

I laughed out loud at "my wife hasn't had a hot meal 13 years". I can so relate.

First, a confession: I’m one of the few people left in America who still actually enjoys air travel.
Me too, of course I don't travel very often.

I do, however, hate trying to herd 4 kids, a stroller, and several bags through the check-in and security lines
I feel your pain. My DD6 managed to lose her boarding pass just after MCO security on our return a few weeks ago.:faint:

Just like a team with a functional running back and offensive line.
I'm a Bears fan....I heard those teams do exist.

I have to say, if you can’t be in the park itself, watching the fireworks from the ferry proved to be a pretty spectacular location.
Great pictures.

Chapter 1: The Secret To Surviving Air Travel? Fists With Your Toes.
Better than a shower and a hot cup of coffee…

Yippee ki-yay!!!

First, a confession: I’m one of the few people left in America who still actually enjoys air travel.
I do as well…
I just can’t afford it.

I love getting the window seat and looking down on the earth below, a perspective that never grows old.
That is the prize of not having to do the driving.

The older kids were already at school
Excellent planning…
They weren’t able to barricade y’all in the house that way.

Hit it!

Detailes, detailes…
Hit it anyway.

The point is: we were free! Free at last!
Thank God.

Not so sure about the content of your character, but thank God none the less.

…blasting through rural Delaware with dreams of Dole Whips dancing in our heads.
Far better than Sugar Plums…

The baby’s car seat.

Still in the car. We didn’t leave it at my parents’ house.

Man, we suck at this.
:lmao: Yes you do…
I do believe that y’all need to spend a whole lot more time practicing.

…grabbed our first gourmet meal of the trip at the Arby’s in the BWI food court.
An epicureans delight…
Haven’t you now set an imposable standard for Disney dinning to compete with?

he said he’d give her a sample in a tiny Dixie cup. She took a sip, and immediately made the Beverly face.
And you without a camera at the ready…

I’ll never understand why everyone on a plane stands up as soon as the plane arrives at the gate.
Not I…
It’s no different than punching an elevator call button over and over.

We took the time to put on our Disney Magic Bands®, so we could clearly label ourselves as Disney property for the next few days.
Ohhhhh… is that the real purpose of those things?
Clever.

We stopped by the Universal Studios store to scout out the Harry Potter paraphernalia.
And I’m certain that the staff were thrilled to see those bands of property strapped to your wrists as you were perusing through their wares.

This is going to be interesting when we finally break down and take her to Universal Studios. I should start applying for loans now.
You should…
For numerous things on the horizon, you should.

we audibled to a jet sweep and broke into the open field, just like the Eagles when they—sorry, bad example.
Good catch.
(Haven’t seen a lot of instances like that recently, have you?)

light-up spinny-thingy (technical term)
And likely copyrighted…
You’ll be hearing from Disney’s lawyers in short order.

We had not paid for the Express Bus Pass
I’m pretty sure that’s only available to residents of the greater Winnipeg metro area.

I’d already receive the text that our room was ready and we could bypass the front desk
That, however, is very cool indeed.

so we settled in with the other people who’d already booked a Walt Disney World vacation to watch a video telling us why we should book a Walt Disney World vacation.
Another…
The goal is for you to book another one.

Now!

Julie and I got off the bus and immediately got le—
Wait, this isn’t Vegas!...

uh, the greeter gave us leis and greeted us with a warm Aloha!
Oh good, I was starting to question my sense of direction.

We walked through the doors and were immediately met with the Disney Smell. I’m not sure what it is, but all Disney resorts and buildings smell the same. We even noticed it in Aulani and Disneyland.
It’s a neurotoxin designed to affect your ability to keep track of spending and that leaves you susceptible to the powers of suggestion and the allure of bright shinny objects.

Very similar to the hypnotic and subliminal effects of Stacy TV.

We would soon learn that our room was in the farthest corner of the farthest building from the main lobby.
But the closest walk over to the TTC.
So you got that going for you.

Sorry about the lousy photo—we didn’t have the good camera out of the bag yet.
Beats the photo I can’t take, ‘cause I can’t get there.

We finally entered the Moorea building near the Men In Black exam chairs
Searching for the best of the best of the best…
with honors.

We were in room 1039. It was one of the new DVC Polynesian studios, as the room discount had given us a better deal on that one vs. the standard rooms.
Nice digs. Good work on the deal too.
Ya’ done good, there.

Boma: Flavors of Africa.
Interested to see if this has changed any from our last visit there.

It was at this point that we made a discovery: instead of being a liability, our location at the very end of the Moorea building was actually a blessing in disguise. We were less than a 5-minute walk from the Transportation and Ticket Center
Toldja…

Within a few minutes we were standing on the upper level of the Admiral Joe Fowler (using the ferry here was new to us, too) and enjoying this view as we floated towards the Magic Kingdom:

IMG_1308.JPG
Ahhh…
Ship, water, MK, gorgeous vista…

Dang I wish I was there now.

We both agreed there that it felt like we were getting away with something.
And you were.

There, our bus luck immediately ran out as we sat and waited for about fifteen minutes. Maybe that Express Bus Pass is only offered in Canada.
See previous comment above

Yeah, I know, I know…
Now he tells me.

Ok, fine. I’m not an adventurous eater.
Not true…
You’ll devour any type of burger that gets within reach.
That’s adventure.

We availed ourselves of the desserts as well. Julie declared zebra domes her new favorite thing ever
To quote Ponzie…

Mmmmmmmmm…
Zebra Domes….

All in all, Boma gets a hearty two thumbs-up from both the adventurous and the non-adventurous eater.
Glad y’all enjoyed it.

We’ve been there twice.
Loved it the first time.
Wen’t back and: meh…
Don’t know what it was, just something seemed lacking from nearly everything.
I hope that’s changed (and I may need to go back)

My wife had not had a hot meal in thirteen years.
How do the little piggies go?

Our server was nice enough to take a photo to record this momentous occasion, complete with the absence of squirmy, screaming children begging to get out of the high chair.

IMG_1330.JPG
Wow…
You two don’t even look to be three-quarters exhausted or anything.

I’d say we were off to a darn good start.
I don’t usually make understatements…

But when I do, it’s always in reference to Disney experiences.

Even better, this particular evening was a Christmas Party evening, so we were pleasantly surprised at the end of the show when the fireworks went widescreen on us.

IMG_1357.JPG
Ooooooooo…
Purrrrr-ty

I guess along with these milestone birthdays come more frequent brain farts.
Better alert the EPA…

Eventually, we stopped trying to do mental arithmetic on the items that caught our eyes in the gift shop and resigned ourselves to a second mortgage.
See!!!! I told you!
That smell…
It’s… it’s a neurotoxin.. a plague…
save yourselves!!!!

Coming Up Next: Experimental Prototype Christmas Decorations.
Should that be: Experimental Prototype Christmas Ornamentation Technology?

Last edited:
Long time lurker. Really enjoy your storytelling style over the past few years. Our youngest is 18 and she is close to college this fall, so we will be going to WDW without the kids sooner than later. Our last trip without kids was March 1997. Wait, that's wrong as my wife was actually expecting at the time, so Aug 1996 would be when we were last on a vacation alone. Time flies. ⏱✈️

"Free at last". Genie in Alladin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter