We Ditched The Kids! - UPDATE (7/22 - NYC trip)

OK, I'm just getting caught up on your TR. I've said it before but I really like this adults only trip idea.

Me too! I wish we could do it more often.

I would love to do the Keys tour, but it seems it's really not one for kids. From your description, the tour sounds great. Something I really need to consider if the opportunity presents itself.

I'd definitely recommend it. It's a neat experience.

Something else I need to do, based on your pictures, is get to Yachtsman Steakhouse. I've heard it was good, but if it tastes half as good as it looks, I'm in. Unfortunately DW is not a steak eater but I think I just need to show her that dessert picture and she'll be convinced. Heck, just the words "chocolate peanut butter" are enough!

Generally, men go for the meat and women for the dessert. So there's something for everyone!

Yes and... yes.

So let it be written. So let it be done.

I know of a DISer who planned an entire vacation with another DIser.
They aren't friends anymore.

:eek: Wow, that's sad.

If only you'd bought a Mickey tie a few years ago...

633545257951222903-regretsthosewerethedroidsyouwerelookingfordemotivator_large.jpg

Congrats on the promotion! That's awesome! I look forward to the improvement in the roads around DE, which will inevitably follow.

Thanks, Glenn! And naturally, there will be some improvement, but it's hard to measure since our roads are already so good. Especially compared with our neighbors.:rolleyes1

Dinner at Yachtsman and Julie still likes Boma better -- woo hoo!

Go figure!

Any excuse to go to Disney is a good excuse.

Reason #432 for hanging out here: Enablement of the grandest proportions.

There is definitely a learning curve with FP+. Took us a while to feel comfortable with decisions and how it all played out in the park. I am looking forward to the recent changes and how that changes the game once again.

And that's why I'm relying on you guys to guide me through this! Which reminds me, I need another phone conference with y'all.

I did it too, but we're still friends. Not super close, but definitely not enemies either. I'd do again in a heartbeat. If you think you're not jiving well.... just decide WAY ahead of time to do your own thing so you can fall back on that if you need or want to.

I planned a trip (well a group of us did) where we had about seven people who hung out on the Games/Community Board. It was a week long and Fran I shared a 2 bedroom lock off with one family. We had multiple meals together and did some park exploring together, even did a cook out on the BBQ grills one night and had a potluck. It was great fun and we're all mostly friends. One of us dropped off the DIS and went into obliviun.

I planned a trip (well a group of us did) where we had about seven people who hung out on the Games/Community Board. It was a week long and Fran I shared a 2 bedroom lock off with one family. We had multiple meals together and did some park exploring together, even did a cook out on the BBQ grills one night and had a potluck. It was great fun and we're all mostly friends. One of us dropped off the DIS and went into obliviun.

And I'm pretty sure that's the norm. But... an entire vacation with someone I've never met?
Nope. Wouldn't risk it.

And I'm pretty sure that's the norm. But... an entire vacation with someone I've never met?
Nope. Wouldn't risk it.

Yeah that's a little crazy. I had met the family two years before (2011) and the wife even stayed two nights at our house the next year (2012) and we did a banzai day at DL/DCA before she met back up (at the LA airport) with her husband who was on his way to a business trip in "The City" aka "Frisco". So we already knew we liked each other. They even stayed in our guest room for three nights the year after our big DISmeet.

Ugh. Thats the part of the day where I want to be done. But you guys are young and in much better shape than me.

I don't know if you can call us "young" anymore. We definitely need more rest than we used to!

It's funny I had never even heard of a Dole Whip until I started hanging out on the DIS. The good thing about WDW is that the line doesn't snake back around the Tiki Room for half an hour like it does at land!

Seriously. It basically forces you to watch the Tiki show.

Yikes! Those are some crazy waits!

We were definitely feeling the crowds!

Another reason at that time of day the air conditioned hotel room and a nap start sounding better!

Another difference between having an annual pass vs. a daily ticket!

That's not a problem for us!

That's like your daily itinerary, right?

:eek: I would be too!

100 minutes is too much for anything.

Where did the ride go? Why are you asking me to get off?

I think everyone has that reaction.

::yes::

Good for her!

Go big or go home!

OK Yachtsman just went on my list for the October trip.

Mmmmm...steak...

I HAVE to remember to do this in two weeks!

Good way to get some rest!

OK after catching up on the banter over the past two days and the fact that I am down 22 lbs from when I started that extreme (vegan) diet, and just two pounds away from my preliminary goal weight, you and @pkondz have made me want a burger. Not McDonald's, Burger King, or Hardee's or any of that crap. I don't have time to go to my ultimate burger joint (need to move crap out of the old house), so drive through it must be. I'm having In-N-Out on my way to work on the old house today!

22 lbs? That's great! Nice work! I think you've definitely earned a burger.

Way to go! That's fantastic @franandaj

And I've heard good things about In-N-Out, but haven't tried them either.

Just think along the same lines as Five Guys. It's not the greatest burger of all time, but it's good for a chain.

Great job! Mmmm, In-N-out sounds delicious.

I could go for one.

Thanks! It's not "the best burger in the world, but it was tasty! Now I gotta move about 100 boxes to work it off! :laughing:

It was worth it, I'm sure!

I just said to my husband, please lets go to disney by ourselves this year when the kids are visiting their bio dad and other family. Then I felt the guilt of such an idea reek havoc on my brain, I have two trips saved in my disney account on the web site, one with and one without my four little ones......

:welcome: I hope you get the chance to go!

Stupid Maryland! ;)

Exactly.

Reason #432 for hanging out here: Enablement of the grandest proportions.

Just don't ask us to help pay for it.

And that's why I'm relying on you guys to guide me through this! Which reminds me, I need another phone conference with y'all.

Just pick the 3 rides you want to do...:rolleyes1

I did it too, but we're still friends. Not super close, but definitely not enemies either. I'd do again in a heartbeat. If you think you're not jiving well.... just decide WAY ahead of time to do your own thing so you can fall back on that if you need or want to.

Nope. Wouldn't risk it.

Yeah that's a little crazy. I had met the family two years before (2011) and the wife even stayed two nights at our house the next year (2012) and we did a banzai day at DL/DCA before she met back up (at the LA airport) with her husband who was on his way to a business trip in "The City" aka "Frisco". So we already knew we liked each other. They even stayed in our guest room for three nights the year after our big DISmeet.

Even when I travel with good friends or family, we typically set the ground rules of "Everybody do what you want, and if we happen to be in the same place together, great!" We might plan to be in the same park each day. But everybody needs some time apart no matter how close you think you are. Otherwise you'll drive each other crazy!

Chapter 6: Welcome to the Himalayas! Snow cone?

Once again, we were up early. And once again, we headed to the Great Ceremonial House to stop by the Kona Island for coffee and breakfast. We were again trying to maximize our day in the parks. This is part of the problem with a long weekend--with limited time, we wanted to squeeze every dollar of value out of our park tickets. And this meant that we didn’t get a lot of time to enjoy the Polynesian resort. I don’t know that there was much we could have done about that--we’d really wanted to see each park and as many resort Christmas decorations as we could, so that’s what we prioritized. I guess we’ll just have to go back and stay in the Poly again sometime. Anybody have a few thousand dollars you’re not planning on using?

Our first destination was the Animal Kingdom, so we headed to the bus stop. I was happy to see that Disney World had started installing information boards at the stops to let you know how long you had to wait before you’d be able to head to your destination. They’ve needed this feature for a while, if only to stop the helpless feeling of playing Disney Bus Roulette while watching multiple buses headed for other parks pass by as the one you want never materializes.

The only problem is, the boards aren’t very helpful if they aren’t updated with actual, you know, information.

IMG_0546.JPG

In any case, we waited about 10-15 minutes before we were on our way to the Animal Kingdom.

As we pulled into the park entrance, we could see the latest progress of Avatar land. Behold the magical floating mountains of Pandora!

IMG_1762.JPG

I’m interested to see what they do with Avatar. I was not a huge fan of the movie. It’s basically Pocahontas or Dances With Wolves featuring 8-ft. tall blue people. However, it’s a great-looking movie, and I can see where the effects and atmosphere could make for a fun theme park experience. So I’m keeping an open mind.

The park does need some more attractions, so I'm glad they're working on that. But the Animal Kingdom has grown on me over the years. Over time, I've come to learn that the theme has lent itself to some of the most imaginative detail any of the parks have to offer. So while it might still be light on A-list attractions, it's a park that really makes me appreciate the work Imagineers do to make their parks fully immersive.

IMG_1763.JPG

IMG_1764.JPG

We didn’t quite make it for the opening show, but we weren’t too far behind. Our plan was to do AK in the morning and then hop over to Hollywood Studios in the afternoon. We’d made all of our FP+ reservations for DHS, so we were hoping to do as much as we could in AK by beating the crowds there. As soon as we entered, we made a beeline straight for Expedition Everest.

Right when we passed over the bridge and through the gate for Asia...

IMG_1765.JPG

We met a mass of humanity walking in the opposite direction. This was everyone who had arrived for Rope Drop. It didn’t take long to hear the words “Everest is down--they don’t know how long.”

Might as well say "Christmas is cancelled."

So much for that plan.

Rather than fight the tide, we immediately turned around and headed for the Kilimanjaro Safari. Might as well try and see some animals while they’re awake. Except for the animatronic sleeping lion, of course.

IMG_1767.JPG

The line wasn’t too bad yet, so it didn’t take long to board a jeep. I really like the new version that skips the cheesy Save Big Red From The Poachers story that nobody paid attention to anyway. Now you can just focus on the animals. And we got to see plenty.

The rhinoceros...

IMG_1768.JPG

Hey, what do you get when you cross an elephant and a rhino?

Elephino. (say that out loud.)

The hippo...

IMG_1771.JPG

Florida gators.

IMG_1773.JPG

Giraffes.

IMG_1776.JPG

Ankole cattle. These horns are actually hollow, so it’s not as heavy on their heads as you might think.

IMG_1781.JPG

And the elephant pen.

IMG_1783.JPG

Now, here’s where things got interesting. As we sat watching the elephants, and antelope wandered into the pen.

IMG_1787.JPG

Now sure, you’d think--hey, what’s the big deal? I’m sure antelope wander all over the place. Well, I’m not so sure--I think Disney keeps the animals all separate using hidden barriers. And they do so for a reason.

These elephants were NOT happy about the intruder. First one, and then another, and then a third began trotting over towards the antelope. A couple of them started braying in alarm. They herded the antelope over towards one side of the pen.

IMG_1788.JPG

Unfortunately for him, another elephant was waiting over there. And he didn’t want his territory invaded, either. So he charged. The antelope quickly changed direction.

IMG_1790.JPG

He ran for the pool in the front of the elephant pen. More elephants sounded alarms. Soon, jeeps and 4x4’s started appearing on side dirt roads out of nowhere, similar to how Disney security reacts if you attempt to re-use last year's refillable mug at the resort. Disney CM’s converged on the front of the pen just down the road from us. We couldn’t see around a bend, but eventually calm was restored and we were finally able to move on. I’d say we sat there a good ten minutes as they tried to restore order.

That was so cool!

Moving on, we neared Pride Rock at the end of the safari. When what to our wondering eyes should appear, but...

IMG_1795.JPG

No way!

IMG_1798.JPG

The animatronic lion has an “awake” cycle!

I can honestly say I’ve never seen that before.

At the very end of the safari, we pulled to a stop just before the unloading depot. And then we sat. And sat. And sat.

There was no communication as to what was going on. The depot was RIGHT THERE, just 30 feet ahead, but they made no move to offload us. Then a jeep came around us from behind and unloaded its passengers. Maybe they’d paid for the VIP bus pass?

Eventually, they decided we weren’t going to be able to spend any money in the gift shops if they didn’t let us off, so we finally got to leave the ride. I don’t remember how long we sat, but between that and the elephant adventure it felt like we were somewhat behind schedule. So we bolted for Expedition Everest again.

And found a 30-minute wait.

IMG_0547.JPG

Ugh. That was going to really put a dent in our morning. We couldn’t get a FP, either. Then, I had an idea: what about the single-rider line? We’d always visited with the kids in the past and I’d never actually tried that before, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to try. So I looked and...it wasn’t open.

However, the standby line wasn’t getting any shorter. So I thought to myself, “Self, why not give it a few minutes and see what happens?”

Julie had no interest in the single-rider line. She didn’t want to ride Everest by herself. But at this point we figured it was going to be the only way to get a ride in without killing a good chunk of the morning. And I really wanted a ride.

So we decided that we’d split up. Julie took the camera to the Maharajah Jungle Trek so she could enjoy photographing the “ruins”, and I hung around to see if I could hop on single-rider.

As it so happened, Julie was barely gone when they opened the single-rider line. I was sixth in line, got on a train within two minutes, and Julie hadn’t even reached the entrance to the trail before she got a text from me saying, “Done!”

So, let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up: Single-rider is awesome. And, Expedition Everest is awesome. Man, I love that ride. I think it’s my favorite in Disney World. If only they’d fix Disco Yeti. I also finally got my obligatory broken track photo.

IMG_0548.JPG

I thought about trying for a second ride, but quite a few more people had discovered the single-rider line by then and I didn’t know how long Julie would be. So I did my Disney duty instead and emptied my savings account in the gift shop.

Meanwhile, Julie enjoyed the trail. We should have bought lottery tickets that day, since the tiger was awake as well.

IMG_1813.JPG

IMG_1814.JPG

IMG_1817.JPG

IMG_1821.JPG

IMG_1828.JPG

IMG_1829.JPG

By the time we met up again, it was getting to be about 10:30 in the morning. It had literally been years since we’d ridden Dinosaur since our kids won’t go anywhere near it, so we decided to give that one a shot. The standby line was posted as a 20-minute wait, so that didn’t seem so bad. Once we got inside, though, things slowed down quite a bit.

It was a little odd. We’d stand in the switchbacks without moving for long stretches. The CM at the front would let several people in through the FP+ line as they trickled in. Then, instead of turning and allowing standby folks in, she’d disappear for a few minutes. Then she’d come back and resume allowing the FP+ line to move. Maybe we needed a VIP time machine pass.

Eventually we made it to the ride, but I’d say it took almost 30 minutes to get onto a ride vehicle. I’m glad we got to ride it, though, because we both still enjoy it. I doubt I’d say that if I had a bad back, but hopefully that won’t be the case for a while.

We had one final stop for AK. We had to have lunch in our favorite counter-service restaurant in Disney World: Flame Tree Barbecue. For us, it’s hard to beat the combination of good bbq with an outdoor seating area and a nice view of Everest across the lagoon. We both got pulled pork sandwiches and enjoyed the meal immensely.

IMG_1832.JPG

Across the way, we could see the work being done on the viewing area for the new Rivers Of Light nighttime show.

IMG_1833.JPG

Julie, meanwhile, had no idea she was suddenly being stalked. In the Animal Kingdom, you never know whether you are the predator or the prey. Even if you’re enjoying a fresh kill, the other predators may be out to steal the spoils of your hunt.

IMG_1834.JPG

I really love the seating area and gardens there.

IMG_1836.JPG

IMG_1837.JPG

That brought our AK visit to a close. We left the park, making sure to stop for a brief visit at the Christmas tree by the front gate.

IMG_1839.JPG

IMG_1840.JPG

One new feature (or at least, new to me) we discovered on this visit was that they had started running buses directly between the parks. We got in line for a bus heading directly for Hollywood Studios. I had figured it would take at least an hour to hop between parks, but this bus shortened that to about 20 minutes. That was fantastic, and made park-hopping so much easier for us. Next thing we knew, we were at the front gates of...

Coming Up Next: one half-day park down, one to go.

Chapter 6: Welcome to the Himalayas! Snow cone?

Monsters Inc. Too easy!

I’m interested to see what they do with Avatar. I was not a huge fan of the movie. It’s basically Pocahontas or Dances With Wolves featuring 8-ft. tall blue people. However, it’s a great-looking movie, and I can see where the effects and atmosphere could make for a fun theme park experience. So I’m keeping an open mind.

I'm really nervous about this. I wasn't a huge fan of the movie either. This could go horribly wrong.

We met a mass of humanity walking in the opposite direction. This was everyone who had arrived for Rope Drop. It didn’t take long to hear the words “Everest is down--they don’t know how long.”

Hey, by being slightly late, you may have actually beaten a lot of the rope-droppers to the safari ride.

He ran for the pool in the front of the elephant pen. More elephants sounded alarms. Soon, jeeps and 4x4’s started appearing on side dirt roads out of nowhere, similar to how Disney security reacts if you attempt to re-use last year's refillable mug at the resort. Disney CM’s converged on the front of the pen just down the road from us. We couldn’t see around a bend, but eventually calm was restored and we were finally able to move on. I’d say we sat there a good ten minutes as they tried to restore order.

This sounded like a great thing to watch play out. Very cool.

Nice! Great picture.

Then, I had an idea: what about the single-rider line?

We love the single rider line. We only go together when we have Fastpass, all of the other times are SR.

Julie had no interest in the single-rider line. She didn’t want to ride Everest by herself.

Well yeah, who would want to separate from you?!

But then how do you explain that she went all the way over to Maharajah Trek without you. You shoulda just skipped that part!

We had to have lunch in our favorite counter-service restaurant in Disney World: Flame Tree Barbecue.

But I love the food at that new Marketplace. The view is better here though, I agree.

Across the way, we could see the work being done on the viewing area for the new Rivers Of Light nighttime show.

I think that's going to be great!

One new feature (or at least, new to me) we discovered on this visit was that they had started running buses directly between the parks.

That's awesome! One of those, we-should-have-done-that-years-ago kind of things.

Nope. Wouldn't risk it.

Did that back when I perused Theme Park Review's Forums. Went all the way out to DL, met up with a guy I'd only know through the forums, and talked to once or twice on the phone. Met up with group of people I also only knew via the forums. It ended up being a blast, and a group I traveled with multiple times over the next several years. So.....you never know!

I just got back from another continent and spent a week staying at someone's house that I met through this site whom I'd never met in real life. It was fabulous! (Trip report coming soon!)

Jill in CO

This is part of the problem with a long weekend--with limited time, we wanted to squeeze every dollar of value out of our park tickets. And this meant that we didn’t get a lot of time to enjoy the Polynesian resort.

That's a bummer. We only have three nights in the bungalow, but I've tried to plan a lot of our downtime then cause why spend all those points if we're running around?

They’ve needed this feature for a while, if only to stop the helpless feeling of playing Disney Bus Roulette while watching multiple buses headed for other parks pass by as the one you want never materializes.
The only problem is, the boards aren’t very helpful if they aren’t updated with actual, you know, information.

I remember first seeing them about two years ago and had the same complaint, except on our AK the bus arrival Tim was at 8:50 when we got to the bus stop and kept changing to further and further out until it read 9:24. :sad2:

As we pulled into the park entrance, we could see the latest progress of Avatar land. Behold the magical floating mountains of Pandora!

I never even saw the movie, so I guess I better take care of that in the next couple years.

The line wasn’t too bad yet, so it didn’t take long to board a jeep. I really like the new version that skips the cheesy Save Big Red From The Poachers story that nobody paid attention to anyway. Now you can just focus on the animals. And we got to see plenty.

Definite improvement!

Florida gators.

You saw more on your one safari than we saw in an entire swamp!

This sounds like it would have been a cool interaction to see!

He also has a "pooh" cycle. We caught him in that one once.

As it so happened, Julie was barely gone when they opened the single-rider line. I was sixth in line, got on a train within two minutes

I always do the single rider line. Fran doesn't normally care to ride, so it's usually just me.

Meanwhile, Julie enjoyed the trail. We should have bought lottery tickets that day, since the tiger was awake as well.

I like that trail, usually the tiger is out and more active than the animatronic lion.

We had one final stop for AK. We had to have lunch in our favorite counter-service restaurant in Disney World: Flame Tree Barbecue.

Always a good call!

One new feature (or at least, new to me) we discovered on this visit was that they had started running buses directly between the parks.

I'll have to remember this. Not sure if we're hopping next trip, but I always forget they do this now.

This is part of the problem with a long weekend--with limited time, we wanted to squeeze every dollar of value out of our park tickets. And this meant that we didn’t get a lot of time to enjoy the Polynesian resort.

Guess you'll just have to go again.
But I can totally relate.
Other than cost, it's one of the reasons I stay in Values on my short trips.
I know I'll have next to zero time to explore the resort.

I guess we’ll just have to go back and stay in the Poly again sometime.

That's what I said!

Anybody have a few thousand dollars you’re not planning on using?

Um, hang on. Lemme check.

no.

Our first destination was the Animal Kingdom, so we headed to the bus stop. I was happy to see that Disney World had started installing information boards at the stops to let you know how long you had to wait before you’d be able to head to your destination. They’ve needed this feature for a while, if only to stop the helpless feeling of playing Disney Bus Roulette while watching multiple buses headed for other parks pass by as the one you want never materializes.

I think it's a great idea.
But isn't it just the deluxes that are getting them?

Oh.

At first I laughed and assumed you were referring to the cranes.
But then I looked a little closer... that is a floating mountain there, isn't it?

I’m interested to see what they do with Avatar. I was not a huge fan of the movie.

I was. Saw it twice.

The park does need some more attractions,

So while it might still be light on A-list attractions, it's a park that really makes me appreciate the work Imagineers do to make their parks fully immersive.

And I haven't really appreciated that yet.
They did such an amazing job, that I forget that it's all fabricated.

It didn’t take long to hear the words “Everest is down--they don’t know how long.”

No!!!!!

No kidding! Followed by "I broke down in tears."

Except for the animatronic sleeping lion, of course.

I've read a couple of TRs recently where they got lucky and saw the lion(s) up.

I really like the new version that skips the cheesy Save Big Red From The Poachers story that nobody paid attention to anyway.

Agreed.

<groan> :sad2:

Ankole cattle. These horns are actually hollow, so it’s not as heavy on their heads as you might think.

Oh yeah? You try wearing them!

These elephants were NOT happy about the intruder. First one, and then another, and then a third began trotting over towards the antelope. A couple of them started braying in alarm. They herded the antelope over towards one side of the pen.

Uh, oh...

Unfortunately for him, another elephant was waiting over there. And he didn’t want his territory invaded, either. So he charged. The antelope quickly changed direction.

Really! How much of a charge was it?

Moving on, we neared Pride Rock at the end of the safari. When what to our wondering eyes should appear, but...

See! Told you!

And I can honestly say that I've yet to see that.

There was no communication as to what was going on. The depot was RIGHT THERE, just 30 feet ahead, but they made no move to offload us. Then a jeep came around us from behind and unloaded its passengers. Maybe they’d paid for the VIP bus pass?

Yes. That would explain it.
The peons must wait.

So we bolted for Expedition Everest again.

And found a 30-minute wait.

That's not that bad, for that ride.

what about the single-rider line? We’d always visited with the kids in the past and I’d never actually tried that before, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to try. So I looked and...it wasn’t open.

Crap. It's such a massive time saver.

As it so happened, Julie was barely gone when they opened the single-rider line. I was sixth in line, got on a train within two minutes, and Julie hadn’t even reached the entrance to the trail before she got a text from me saying, “Done!”

:laughing: Was she shocked?

Let me sum up: Single-rider is awesome

I also finally got my obligatory broken track photo.

Yay! You were the last person to have visited AKL who hadn't gotten one.

So I did my Disney duty instead and emptied my savings account in the gift shop.

And Disney thanks you for keeping their park open.

You guys are really lucking out with the animals.
That VIP animal pass is really paying off.

By the time we met up again, it was getting to be about 10:30 in the morning.

And she got some nice pics, too.

The standby line was posted as a 20-minute wait, so that didn’t seem so bad. Once we got inside, though, things slowed down quite a bit.

::yes:: Had that same experience.
5 minutes, 40 minutes... what's the difference?

(Hint: it's 35 minutes.)

It was a little odd. We’d stand in the switchbacks without moving for long stretches. The CM at the front would let several people in through the FP+ line as they trickled in. Then, instead of turning and allowing standby folks in, she’d disappear for a few minutes. Then she’d come back and resume allowing the FP+ line to move. Maybe we needed a VIP time machine pass.

I'd pay for that.
Maybe I can get it as an add on to my VIP bus pass.

I doubt I’d say that if I had a bad back, but hopefully that won’t be the case for a while.

Funny. I do have a bad back, and I assumed this would be hard on it.
But it wasn't.
Prime Evil Hurl on the other hand... :sad2: Never again.

We had to have lunch in our favorite counter-service restaurant in Disney World: Flame Tree Barbecue. For us, it’s hard to beat the combination of good bbq with an outdoor seating area and a nice view of Everest across the lagoon.

Went there for the first time last time.
It's a great little place.

Julie, meanwhile, had no idea she was suddenly being stalked. In the Animal Kingdom, you never know whether you are the predator or the prey. Even if you’re enjoying a fresh kill, the other predators may be out to steal the spoils of your hunt.

IMG_1834.JPG

:laughing: Look out, Julie! Look out!

We left the park, making sure to stop for a brief visit at the Christmas tree by the front gate.

That's really unique.

::yes:: So glad they started that.

I had figured it would take at least an hour to hop between parks, but this bus shortened that to about 20 minutes.

Way better than doing the park-resort-park shuffle.

Next thing we knew, we were at the front gates of...

You better say DHS!

This is part of the problem with a long weekend--with limited time, we wanted to squeeze every dollar of value out of our park tickets.

Especially when the decorations are up- So hard when you have a new resort and a short trip. Besides the room you can always go back to look at the resort. :rolleyes: Not the same as being able to start and end your day there as well as sleep there but ....

And this meant that we didn’t get a lot of time to enjoy the Polynesian resort.

Sorry but I know that feeling of walking back to the room at the end of your day was nice...

:rolleyes1 :headache:

Me too !!!

:headache::headache::headache::headache::headache: Hate when that happens.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Now sure, you’d think--hey, what’s the big deal? I’m sure antelope wander all over the place. Well, I’m not so sure--I think Disney keeps the animals all separate using hidden barriers. And they do so for a reason.

uh huh... :scratchin

These elephants were NOT happy about the intruder. First one, and then another, and then a third began trotting over towards the antelope. A couple of them started braying in alarm. They herded the antelope over towards one side of the pen

:scared1:

:scared1::scared1:

:earseek::earseek::earseek:

That was so cool!

::yes:: I Bet. So lucky.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Still laughing.

:goodvibes

WAY!!!!!

:cool1::cool1: A great ride !!!

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Still laughing.....

Ugh. That was going to really put a dent in our morning. We couldn’t get a FP, either. Then, I had an idea: what about the single-rider line? We’d always visited with the kids in the past and I’d never actually tried that before, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to try.

YES

So I looked and...it wasn’t open.

:headache:

So we decided that we’d split up. Julie took the camera to the Maharajah Jungle Trek so she could enjoy photographing the “ruins”, and I hung around to see if I could hop on single-rider.

:idea:

Of Course .... :sad2:

Single-rider is awesome.

::yes::::yes::::yes:: Yes it is. Moves better that RNR for some reason.

Good deal and wonderful pictures as always.

One new feature (or at least, new to me) we discovered on this visit was that they had started running buses directly between the parks. We got in line for a bus heading directly for Hollywood Studios.

Not sure it is new, but those buses can be hard to find. Usually at the end of the row.

Next thing we knew, we were at the front gates of...

Counting on DHS unless.... you got on the wrong bus. ;)

He also has a "pooh" cycle. We caught him in that one once.
:rotfl2::rotfl2:

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Really did have me :rotfl: when I say it.

Well, you DO have more opportunities in the near future........ :rolleyes:

I guess we’ll just have to go back and stay in the Poly again sometime.
Awww, what terrible punishment........ :sad2:

Hey, you just got a promotion......... :rotfl2:

In any case, we waited about 10-15 minutes before we were on our way to the Animal Kingdom.
You could have walked there by then...........just sayin' ;)

The park does need some more attractions, so I'm glad they're working on that. But the Animal Kingdom has grown on me over the years. Over time, I've come to learn that the theme has lent itself to some of the most imaginative detail any of the parks have to offer. So while it might still be light on A-list attractions, it's a park that really makes me appreciate the work Imagineers do to make their parks fully immersive.
Agree on the A-list attractions, but I'm not sure how much Avatarland is going to change that.......at least for me. But it is still one of my favorite parks for all the "not so highly regarded" things that are very appealing when you slow down a little and take in the full experience! :thumbsup2

We didn’t quite make it for the opening show, but we weren’t too far behind.
WHAT? They had an opening show??? Haven't seen them do that in a while now............ :confused3

Aww man, now I'm going to have that thought stuck in my head the next time EE is down first thing! One of our recent trips it was down early then also........ :headache:

I'm guessing either gored or stomped on. No way I'm making one of those two angry....... :scared:

Nice info.........no wonder you got that promotion! :worship:

That was so cool!
Yeah, we've seen zebras acting up, but that sounds like a really cool thing to experience! 8-)

I guess we’ll just have to go back and stay in the Poly again sometime. Anybody have a few thousand dollars you’re not planning on using?
Sadly, no. With three women in my house, I just try to catch the stray coins that fall off the table when they’re done with the hard cash. :P Although the Poly is definitely on my Disney “bucket list” if I should ever be so lucky.

I was happy to see that Disney World had started installing information boards at the stops to let you know how long you had to wait before you’d be able to head to your destination. They’ve needed this feature for a while, if only to stop the helpless feeling of playing Disney Bus Roulette while watching multiple buses headed for other parks pass by as the one you want never materializes.
I experienced this the last time in WDW, staying at Riverside. It was fairly helpful. It did seem to be updated more effectively than this particular one, though.

I felt pretty much the same. I didn’t like the idea when I first heard of it. The movie was OK, but didn’t understand why Disney needed an outside property in their parks. Still, the rest of Animal Kingdom has some amazing detail, so I too am keeping an open mind and waiting to see what the Imagineers do with it.

I really like the new version that skips the cheesy Save Big Red From The Poachers story that nobody paid attention to anyway. Now you can just focus on the animals. And we got to see plenty.
When I first heard about dropping the “Big Red” story, I was a little disappointed. But riding last time without it, I really didn’t miss it. You’re right, it allows for a more focused safari experience.

It took me a few times before it clicked in :o

Pretty amazing! That’s the first time I’ve read of something like that happening. I never would have thought the CM’s were so prepared for it. It just goes to show how much goes on behind the scenes that guests never notice.

Is it wrong that I was cynically thinking they didn't charge you extra for a special "limited time magic" safari animal rumble in the jungle?

We had to have lunch in our favorite counter-service restaurant in Disney World: Flame Tree Barbecue.
I have yet to go to this place. Everything I’ve read about it seems great. Another for the “must do list”.

I found a quarter this morning. You can have it.

::yes:: I loved that feature. It needs to either be at every bus stop or they should just put that info on the app.

Well, duh!!!

I’m interested to see what they do with Avatar. I was not a huge fan of the movie.
Yeah... I'm not either. I watched it once, back in when it first came out. I felt kind of "meh" about it. DW found it on TV this weekend and DVRed it. She was watching it yesterday evening. I sat down for about 10 minutes and then got up to go watch something else.

However, it’s a great-looking movie, and I can see where the effects and atmosphere could make for a fun theme park experience. So I’m keeping an open mind.
::yes:: Trying to keep an open mind... but I'm pretty damn stubborn so that's kind of difficult.

Sorry folks. Park's closed. Yeti out front should have told you.

Epic dad joke. And you didn't even have the kids with you to use it on.

That was so cool!
Wow! Definitely cool!

You guys hit the Safari jackpot! Excitement in the elephant pen and an alert lion!!!

Just think how much cooler it could have been if that antelope had invaded the lion pen instead of the elephant pen!

Awesome!

So, let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up: Single-rider is awesome. And, Expedition Everest is awesome. Man, I love that ride.
::yes:: Well said.

This is definitely one of the rides that is suffering because of FP+. The line used to move pretty quickly for it, but since FP+ it is always backed up and very slow. I guess when you have a park where there are basically only 3 or 4 rides to pick from... :rolleyes1

One new feature (or at least, new to me) we discovered on this visit was that they had started running buses directly between the parks. We got in line for a bus heading directly for Hollywood Studios. I had figured it would take at least an hour to hop between parks, but this bus shortened that to about 20 minutes. That was fantastic, and made park-hopping so much easier for us.
I don't even understand why this isn't something they'd have done from the beginning. I mean are people spending more money while they're standing at bus stops or while they're in an actual park?

I just got back from another continent and spent a week staying at someone's house that I met through this site whom I'd never met in real life. It was fabulous! (Trip report coming soon!)

Jill in CO

Let us know when you start that trip report Jill.

1432 pages later, I'm finding time to reply...

“Just pick the three rides you want to do today, and please spend the rest of the time in the gift shops.”

So now that that's cleared up, I think I have my mindset in the right place.

so it was waiting to charge up the flash before firing and the timing was off.

Awesome!

I know you’re just itching to do that.

You know us pretty well.

Our server was a nice older Hispanic man named Oscar, who was just wonderful company throughout the evening. He seemed pleased that we were willing to talk with him and took his time with us, sharing stories of his family. Just a great guy, and he made the evening very pleasant.

And, THAT my friends, is what makes a Disney vacation different than ANY other.

Holy crap! It's bigger that your face!! (Somewhere in there is a meathead joke)

Julie, for her part, still preferred Boma. She’s weird.

I like here more and more every day!

Nailed it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter