We Ditched The Kids! - UPDATE (7/22 - NYC trip)

Chicken parm......? Peyton, is that you???:rolleyes:

It’s not an official Disney vacation unless you ride the monorail, you know.
I didn't know that............ :confused:

We stepped out of the Moorea building and were welcomed by this morning view:
The big pond :love:

She got that, I got some gingerbread creation, plus some pastries, and we got over-charged to the tune of $18 for breakfast. So it was just like being at Starbucks, only this coffee wasn’t nasty.
Wasn't sure whether to say "Welcome to Disney" or :lmao: at the Starbucks crack.

So we made a more difficult and less convenient walk to the bus stop by the Great Ceremonial House to get the Epcot bus.
Always fun........ :headache:

Best response went to Barry, aka @FreezinRafiki , who suggested I was ready to tee it up on the Magnolia course.
:rotfl2:

I have a Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering, and I work directly in the highway transportation field. I have 17 years’ experience in road design. I know every bit of the engineering process down cold, from concept all the way through construction. And I learned on this morning that I suck at designing cars.
Yeah, like reality has anything to do with it! :sad2:

That killed enough time for us to head to our next FP+ ride. Since Epcot’s FP+ choices are in tiers, the Tier 2 category leaves you with some slim pickings. We went with Spaceship Earth.
If ever there was a bigger waste of a FP+..... but at Epcot, you have very little choice. :rolleyes2

But just picture a plate full of meat and starches and you can pretty much envision any meal I’ll ever eat.
Ah yes, the Poolrat Pat vegetable minimalization meal plan........ :rolleyes1

Ugh that is so not cool. Hope you did not see an EPCOT bus pulling out as you were walking back.
You had to bring THAT up...... wondering if there was a bus just beyond the monorail entrance past the restrooms like the last time we were there........ :confused3

Did I mention that we had no strollers, no bags, no one whining, and no one yanking us in different directions?
Do you normally??? :scratchin

One of our goals for the afternoon was to catch a performance of the Voices of Liberty, always one of our favorite things to do in the world showcase.
They never disappoint..........even if one of them has an attitude....... :laughing:

I had a lovely date for the evening. Too bad she was stuck with me.
I totally agree!!! ::yes::

I meant the lovely date part. No really........... :D

Seriously? $6.99 for that? I could consume that whole plate with one swipe of my fork. That’s not a dessert, that’s a palate cleanser. Next time, save the money on the artful chocolate paintbrush stroke and give me something to eat!
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

IMG_1627.JPG
Fantastic! :lovestruc

IllumiNations is very special to me. :cloud9:
Oh? Who knew........... :-)

Last edited:
Sounds like a lovely stroll around the world. And it helped you to work up just enough appetite for what looks like a very nice dinner at Trattoria. Glad you were able to enjoy Illuminations as well. Sounds like a great day!

But at least it isn't that song from the ride with the dolls.

There you go. I figured I was doing everyone a favor.

Whew, that's a relief.

Well...

Oh, I mean, that would just be cruel... :rolleyes1

Well, yeah! I'm not cruel. Really, I'm not.

Always pass the buck. :thumbsup2

::yes:: One of those rules of life.

And the snowman isn't even Olaf!? I thought he was taking over Norway.

Go figure! A marketing opportunity missed.

Very vertigo inducing.

Purty colors...

A very well timed picture.

I didn't notice that guy until after we saw it on a big screen.

I knew it!

That Alison!

Oh, you mean Alison doesn't run innocent bystanders over? Well, that's no fun.

It's common practice in other parts of Disney World, like under the Osborne Lights.

I can't argue with this logic. I like trying different flavors of ice cream, but it's really hard to top the time tested classic chocolate on vanilla.

Sometimes you just gotta go with a classic.

Yeah, I mean you've got to make sure you get that step count up. It isn't a day at EPCOT if you don't have at least 20,000 in.

Apparently not! I didn't have a counter, but it sure felt like 20,000.

Yeah, I kind of agree. I think a lot of the hotels seem "muted" in their décor when you compare them to places like GF, WL or AKL where you walk in and see some massive 40' tall tree. The other places just can't match that.

I'm sure the scale of the place has a lot to do with it. Those huge lobbies just make for an impressive space.

How have they not been pushed into the fireplace yet?

:confused3

You've got that right!

Mmm...Italian...

I can't eat it without saying it. :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

Epic comeback starts right here.

That isn't an uncommon issue though. Especially at higher end restaurants. They tend to charge a lot and give a little. I prefer the mom and pop type diner that charges 2.99 for a piece of pie that turns out to be about 1/4 of a pie.

Preach it! This is why I look for those unpretentious diner-type places.

It was worth it. Great pictures! :thumbsup2

Thanks!

Isn't that just awesome???? I mean, when you can feel the shockwaves vibrating through your chest, you know you've got some good fireworks.

Yeah, that was fantastic. Totally took the show to another level.

Give it time.

It's a Monday. Now I feel queasy.

Stick with the classics.

::yes::

Oh, Lord. I know... I know!

Now you have to go back!

"Honey, I accidentally left the gas stove on all night and blew up the entire house. Can you fix it?"

That depends. Did you blow up the duct tape, too?

Well, they split the atom. So give it a few more years and who knows?

That would be just about the level of effort required to split this dessert!

Hi Mark - I have been reading your trips reports and have never commented before but I had to comment today to let you know that is it National Chocolate covered raisin day - I know that you will just love that :rolleyes1 -Judy

:welcome: Is it safe to come outside yet? Is it over? That sounds like a total wastee of perfectly good chocolate.

Sorry, none here.

Wonderful update. ANd now I am caught back up!

Glad you're sticking with me!

Chicken parm......? Peyton, is that you???:rolleyes:

Nah, he can throw a football much better than me.

Well, in his prime, anyway.

I didn't know that............ :confused:

But it's a rule! I'm sure of it!

The big pond :love:

:hyper:

Wasn't sure whether to say "Welcome to Disney" or :lmao: at the Starbucks crack.

:rolleyes1

Always fun........ :headache:

That's another rule: you can never really count on the monorail.

Yeah, like reality has anything to do with it! :sad2:

Hey, I like that! If this reflected reality, of course my car would have been awesome!:rolleyes1

If ever there was a bigger waste of a FP+..... but at Epcot, you have very little choice. :rolleyes2

Yeah...not a fan of the tiers.

Ah yes, the Poolrat Pat vegetable minimalization meal plan........ :rolleyes1

I really need to get on that plan.

You had to bring THAT up...... wondering if there was a bus just beyond the monorail entrance past the restrooms like the last time we were there........ :confused3

We missed out on that experience.

Do you normally??? :scratchin

We might have, once or twice.

They never disappoint..........even if one of them has an attitude....... :laughing:

Always a good show, definitely.

I totally agree!!! ::yes::

I meant the lovely date part. No really........... :D

I couldn't have argued either way.

Fantastic! :lovestruc

:thumbsup2

Oh? Who knew........... :-)

Oh, you two...

Sounds like a lovely stroll around the world. And it helped you to work up just enough appetite for what looks like a very nice dinner at Trattoria. Glad you were able to enjoy Illuminations as well. Sounds like a great day!

We were in Disney! Without the kids! It would have taken a lot to mess it up.

Nothing destroys duct tape.

Then the house is fix-able!

No, but WD40 can make it easier to remove.......... :thumbsup2

You can fix anything with those two items.

Love that I found your report before it's complete. I've enjoyed your previous ones but typically find them late. DH and I have a NO KIDS trip planned for this OCT - it will be our THIRD over 9 years. We are GREAT parents!
1. 1 yr anniv @ POP (3N/4D) lived 2 hrs away
2. 2 night stay at BWV while kids were with thier mom who lived in FL and we had to drive and drop them there
3. This one - our biggest - FLYING leaving kids home staying at 4 nights at Saratoga F&W LOTS of fun

LOL it helped that we lived in FL for 4 of those 9 years LOL (granted 2 were from the recent years we didn't).

That time without the kids is really fun! I am loving your report and your stay at POLY looks amazing! It is on the bucket list!

Ok, I'll confirm that you can, in fact, blow up duct tape. :rolleyes1

This sounds like a good story! Mostly because it has explosions and duct tape.

You've got that right. If you've got WD40, duct tape and a hammer in your tool box, you're set.

I have performed many a car repair with duct tape.:rolleyes1

Love that I found your report before it's complete. I've enjoyed your previous ones but typically find them late. DH and I have a NO KIDS trip planned for this OCT - it will be our THIRD over 9 years. We are GREAT parents!
1. 1 yr anniv @ POP (3N/4D) lived 2 hrs away
2. 2 night stay at BWV while kids were with thier mom who lived in FL and we had to drive and drop them there
3. This one - our biggest - FLYING leaving kids home staying at 4 nights at Saratoga F&W LOTS of fun

LOL it helped that we lived in FL for 4 of those 9 years LOL (granted 2 were from the recent years we didn't).

That time without the kids is really fun! I am loving your report and your stay at POLY looks amazing! It is on the bucket list!

:welcome: Glad you found me! I'll be submitting your Parents of the Decade Nomination form right away!:rotfl2:

Chapter 4: Pay No Attention To The Man Behind The Curtain.

You burn the candle at both ends when you visit Disney World.

Ok, some people don’t. Far be it from me to editorialize about other people’s choices during their vacation. It’s not for me to tell them how to enjoy their time. So, if they want to (waste valuable park time) sleep in, hey—no problem. They’re entitled to (flush their ticket money down the toilet) their rest. In any case, Julie and I were determined to squeeze as much fun as we could into our long weekend.

I mentioned before that we had tried to plan the getaway with an eye towards doing some things that we wouldn’t normally do while dragging the munchkins around. One of the big items on our to-do list was the Keys To The Kingdom Tour. Considering you have to be age 16 or over (we barely made it) to do the tour, we obviously wouldn’t have been able to do this with the kids.

The tour is a five-hour walking tour that takes you around and occasionally behind the scenes of the Magic Kingdom. The guide gives you lots of history and detail about the park itself and shows you some of the behind-the-scenes operations, giving a little insight into how Disney manages to make such a huge undertaking work as smoothly as it can. On the downside, it’s expensive (slight discount for Disney Visa cardholders), takes half of the day (the less crowded half) and still forces you to use up a day of your park admission. So what I’m saying is: you really have to want to do this.

Julie and I really wanted to do this.

I’d booked the first tour of the day, which was to start at 8:30 a.m. I did this because I knew the park opened at 9 a.m., so I was hoping to get in early and get some of those coveted Empty Main Street photos.

You can imagine my elation when I checked the park hours and discovered that they’d changed, and the Magic Kingdom was now opening at 8 a.m.

Well, Julie and I don’t give up easily. We got ourselves out of bed at 6:30 a.m. and were buying Kona blend coffee from the island outside Kona Café in the Great Ceremonial House by 7:15. Our hope was that if we got to the park gates early enough, they’d still allow us inside due to having booked the tour. Fingers crossed.

IMG_1630.JPG

We had no issues with the monorail this morning and were soon on our way. By about 7:40 a.m. we were fully caffeinated and standing at the gates to the Magic Kingdom. We followed the directions we’d been given on the tour web page and moved to the far left, looking for a CM with a clipboard checking people in with early reservations. We gave our names and the tour time, and she let us right in.

Cool.

IMG_1631.JPG

We headed straight for Main St. so we could check out the view of the castle, unencumbered by hordes of people. We turned the corner and found…

IMG_1633.JPG

Hordes of people. I guess a bunch of people with breakfast reservations had arrived all at once. We decided to stand still for a few moments to let the crowd thin out.

IMG_0509.JPG

That’s better. From there, it was a simple matter of finding a photographer to get the shot we wanted.

IMG_1639.JPG

We wandered up further to take in the castle. The Magic Kingdom opening show was well underway at this point, and we could hear the music coming from the train station.

IMG_1640.JPG

This is when we had the bright idea to try and get another Photopass CM to get our picture in front of the relatively empty castle area. Unfortunately, that bright idea coincided with the end of the show and the Magic Kingdom being officially opened for business. So the poor guy took a look behind him and said, “Ok, we have about 10 seconds, so I’ll just take a few with your camera and if you want to use mine, you can come back later.”

IMG_1644.JPG

As he snapped the shutter, we could see this coming our way:

IMG_1646.JPG

And we could certainly understand why the photographer wanted to get out of Dodge. At that point, so did we.

We made our way back to the town square. The check-in for the tour was in the Town Square Theater. Inside, we signed in and were given a nametag and a portable headset that would allow us to hear everything the tour guide said into her microphone as we walked around the park. We also were asked to place a lunch order, as lunch at the Columbia Harbor House was included as part of the tour. Looking through the variety of options on the menu, the choices were: fish, fish, fish, fish, fish, chicken nuggets, and fish. Julie and I are not seafood fans, so we chose chicken nuggets by default.

With check-in done, we hung out and people-watched while we waited for the tour to begin.

IMG_1649.JPG

Our tour guide collected us promptly at 8:30. She introduced herself as Stephanie, from Austin, Texas. We learned the ground rules pretty quickly. The biggest rule, by far, was absolutely NO photography backstage. Stephanie emphasized that one a few times throughout the morning, begging us not to get her fired. Seemed like a reasonable request. So, we took it one step further. We didn’t bother taking photos throughout most of the tour. We chose to just listen and soak it in instead.

The Keys To The Kingdom Tour is half history lesson, half peeking behind-the-scenes of the Magic Kingdom. We started with a slow walk down Main Street, with Stephanie taking time to point out the various names of Imagineers on the windows, as well as some of the inside jokes (such as one name being M. T. Lott, responsible for land development). We learned why there are so many flagpoles around the Main St. area (lightning rods). And so on. In all honesty, I think I knew a lot of the information just from generally reading and having an interest in Disney World. But we didn’t mind. It was interesting to hear the info while looking at the various details right there and then.

We wandered into Adventureland, and I liked Stephanie’s comment here. She said that she liked to think of the walk through Adventureland as a timeline of Disney’s development of animatronics. You go from Swiss Family Treehouse (no animatronics) to Jungle Cruise (simple pneumatic figures) to the Enchanted Tiki Room (more complex hydraulic mechanics) to Pirates of the Caribbean (figures representing human beings).

We wandered down to the Jungle Cruise (it was December, so it was operating under the “Jingle Cruise” banner) and walked in through the VIP entrance, also known as the exit. Stephanie commandeered a boat and a skipper and we immediately boarded, all while taunting everyone waiting in the line for average peasants.

Ok, not really, but I might have thought about it.

Instead of the usual Jungle Cruise spiel full of Dad jokes, Stephanie took the mike and talked about different aspects of the ride: Hidden Mickeys, the “native” canoes with figures meant to represent Mickey, Donald, and Goofy, etc. She pointed out a face on one of the figures climbing the pole away from the rhinoceros and asked us to remember it for later.

After our cruise, we walked into Frontierland and stood by the gate next to Splash Mountain where the parades typically start. It was time to get our first taste of backstage magic. Stephanie again implored us not to get her fired.

She let us through the gate and we crossed the railroad tracks and started walking down the road. There is a white line painted on the ground a few feet back from the gate, and this turned out to be the line marking when CM’s are considered to be “on stage”. Once they cross that line, they must be in character at all times. Even though it’s not generally in view of the guests, people riding by on the train might catch a glimpse of a CM on the road, so that line ensures that the guests’ experience is not interrupted.

Down the road, we entered a large industrial-looking area full of sheds and warehouses. It was amusing to see how quickly it transferred from perfect manicured grounds to dusty, functional working space. Ahead of us, we could see a large open-air building that housed the floats for the various parades. To our left was a large rectangular, unremarkable building painted light green (Stephanie called that shade “go away green”—it’s meant not to draw attention). To our right was a large rectangular unremarkable beige building. The green building housed Pirates of the Caribbean. The beige one housed Splash Mountain. Given how far you have to walk between the entrances of these rides in the park, it was fascinating to see how close the actual ride buildings were to each other. Check it out on Google Earth sometime.

We got a good view here of some of the façade on the Splash Mountain building. Imagineers build only what they need to build. So the parts of the building visible from the park get an elaborate, detailed façade that fits in with the theme of the ride. Everything else is functional and minimal beige.

We got a peek inside the parade float building and could see workers checking and replacing light bulbs on the Main Street Electrical Parade floats. You know how these things are—one goes out, they all go out. If I were them, I’d personally check each and every bulb.

Actually, they do. It was interesting to see how well organized the space was. Every float had a specific place in the garage. The bulbs are checked daily. Everything has to be perfect in a Disney production.

One of the coolest parts of the tour was the chance to walk up to the Splash Mountain building and see all of the water running underneath as it cycled through the ride. The roar made it hard to have a conversation. I believe Stephanie said it took 45 minutes to drain the entire ride.

We eventually re-entered Frontierland through the same gate, and had a chance to wave to passengers on the train as it passed by. Julie was going to flip them the bird, but I told her it wouldn’t be Disney-like—and we didn’t want to get Stephanie fired. She seemed nice.

By about 11:30, we had walked to Liberty Square and entered Columbia Harbor House. We were led straight upstairs where our food was already waiting for us on the tables. Julie and I lucked out with a seat with a view of the Haunted Mansion.

IMG_1654.JPG

We each had a name card at our seat, and inside the name card was a special Keys To The Kingdom Tour pin that was ours to keep. And our chicken nuggets were perfectly fine.

From there, we were led to the VIP entrance (i.e., the exit) of the Haunted Mansion. We went through a side hallway not frequented by the peasants (but still in theme, with the mansion wallpaper, spooky lighting, etc.). The only difference was that there was a side door that led to an employee break room, so it was a little jarring to stand in the Haunted Mansion and then see a door open to find people hanging around a fridge, benches, whiteboard with daily tasks, etc.

Before long we got to head inside and ride this one with little wait. I tried a few photos in the dark.

When I took this one, I thought it was going to be too dark, but I actually like how it turned out.

IMG_1656.JPG

I’ve never gotten Madame Leota in focus before.

IMG_1661.JPG

And the inspiration for Fatal Attraction.

IMG_1662.JPG

Once the ride was over, we re-convened and walked back towards Main Street. We took a path between Casey’s Corner and the Crystal Palace and were once again invited to play “Let’s Not Get Stephanie Fired” as we went backstage behind the Emporium.

It was a parking lot.

But that’s all right. This was the reason everybody takes this tour in the first place. We were about to see the famous Utilidors—the labyrinth of tunnels underneath the Magic Kingdom that CM’s use to get to their work stations without interrupting any of the show up above. They comprise the actual “first floor” of the Magic Kingdom, as they were built at ground level. You can’t go underground in Florida due to the high water table—nobody wants to swim through the Magic Kingdom with alligators. So the utilidors are at ground level and the actual park is on the second floor.

Just to our right in the parking lot, we could see some lush trees and waterways. Once again, we were struck by the use of space as Stephanie pointed out that it was part of the Jungle Cruise river.

We were led to a stairway at the back of the Emporium and then headed downstairs. We gathered in the Utilidor.

“Well?” Stephanie asked. “What do you think?”

“It’s magical,” I replied.

Plaster drywall. Concrete floors. Fluorescent lighting. The Imagineers had gone all out once again, carrying out incredible detail in the “commercial workspace” theme.

Still, I found it fascinating. Walls were color-coded to help CM’s understand where they were in the park. I loved studying the guide maps. There’s a long, long tunnel that extends from Main Street all the way up somewhere in the north end of Fantasyland. The tunnels are wide enough for forklifts to drive through, and there were little bits of Disney history displayed on the walls at various points. Every storage area, once again, was highly organized and detailed, and I was still amazed at how such a large organization could maintain that level of detail in their operations. There was even one room called the “Pin Replenishment Center”, where CM’s who ran low while pin-trading with kids in the parks could go to get new supplies for their lanyards. Stephanie had us all greet the lady who manned that booth as we walked by.

That was basically the end of the tour. We went back upstairs and re-entered the park by the gate next to the Firehouse on Main Street. We concluded our tour under the railroad station, and Stephanie wanted to know if the magic of Disney had now been ruined for us by being backstage.

I can only answer for myself: of course not. Being an engineer, I’m fascinated by how things work. Especially on a scale like that of Disney World. I thoroughly enjoyed the tour and was glad we had taken the time to do it. If anything, I think Julie and I would like to try some more!

IMG_1667.JPG

Coming Up Next: They say you should avoid the Magic Kingdom on Saturdays in December when there’s no Mickey Christmas party. Guess where we are?

They were impressed I knew where it was! It was a nice lunch.

I was going to say "in the trash can", but hey, to each their own.

I'm glad this could help out! I know those mornings all too well.:sad2:

::yes:: Truth.

I don't mind paying a premium for something fantastic. I mean, I travel to Disney World, for pete's sake. But man, I don't like their coffee.

It is! Unless it's the entitled people trying to cut the line in front of you.

You can have mine! I can't name a food they improve. They're like bacon in reverse. The anti-bacon.

:welcome:

Whoa, that's a couple of weeks you'll never get back! Are you recovering ok?

We're touring the Midwest this summer. I laid out the general plan in the last TR here.

I checked it out, and when you come through Omaha, Nebraska, you should check out our zoo, which is one of the best in the country! Not to miss for families: www.omahazoo.com or we have great museums: durhammuseum.org or joslyn.org. Additionally, we have a great downtown area called the Old Market, which is by the NCAA Baseball Stadium, TD Ameritrade Park. Check out Omaha.com for more info and photos. We have much to offer :-)

Nice picture!

We wandered up further to take in the castle. The Magic Kingdom opening show was well underway at this point, and we could hear the music coming from the train station.

That's an ominous sign!

As he snapped the shutter, we could see this coming our way:

IMG_1646.JPG

Reminds me of the wildebeest stampede in The Lion King.

Looking through the variety of options on the menu, the choices were: fish, fish, fish, fish, fish, chicken nuggets, and fish. Julie and I are not seafood fans, so we chose chicken nuggets by default.

Gee, you'd think it'd be burger, burger, burger, burger, burger, chicken nuggets, fish, and burger.

Julie was going to flip them the bird, but I told her it wouldn’t be Disney-like—and we didn’t want to get Stephanie fired. She seemed nice.

It's a good thing she has you around to tone her down a bit.

I'd love to take that tour sometime. I imagine that it'd be the same for me as you described, ie. probably not a lot of new information, but still great to see it right then and there.

:welcome: Glad you found me! I'll be submitting your Parents of the Decade Nomination form right away!:rotfl2:

We married late with 3 kids already. We missed all those years of travel PRE KIDS, slack! LOL

Wait whats that noise? Oh the kid is still outside, her rain shower must be over. It's how we save money for our trips! :love1:

DH is a industrial welder for nuclear power plants. We did Keys to the Kingdom on our April trip a few years ago. He was fascinated by it all. I had fun learning the history of it. He loved the making behind it all and seeing the buildings. BOYS! It was a great tour though!!

Last edited:
I know someone who likes to sleep at WDW - and at Yosemite and on a cruise and in San Francisco and in Disneyland. He tells me, when we travel to Tokyo Disneyland, he will not want to sleep, but burn the candle on both ends. I am skeptical...

I am shocked that the MK opened at 8am in December! I thought that those early openings were only happening in the peak season.

Loved your write up of the tour and it sounds like it has not changed a lot since I took it some 7 or 8 years ago. But we ended up coming out of the Utilidors on the other side of Main Street. I guess it was where now the new Main Street bypass walkway is that they open on very crowded evenings and that might be why you used a different exit. It is a great tour and I would like to do it again one day. Maybe when I am at WDW with @nodnol again... She does not mind getting up early!

Ok, some people don’t. Far be it from me to editorialize about other people’s choices during their vacation. It’s not for me to tell them how to enjoy their time. So, if they want to (waste valuable park time) sleep in, hey—no problem. They’re entitled to (flush their ticket money down the toilet) their rest. In any case, Julie and I were determined to squeeze as much fun as we could into our long weekend.

:rotfl2::thumbsup2 Totally, totally agree. Just because it's an adult only trip, doesn't mean you get to sleep-in. In fact, that would motivate me more to wake up early to enjoy more time to ourselves!

Still pretty empty to me.

That's one of the scariest sights :eek:

We wandered into Adventureland, and I liked Stephanie’s comment here. She said that she liked to think of the walk through Adventureland as a timeline of Disney’s development of animatronics. You go from Swiss Family Treehouse (no animatronics) to Jungle Cruise (simple pneumatic figures) to the Enchanted Tiki Room (more complex hydraulic mechanics) to Pirates of the Caribbean (figures representing human beings).

Very cool, never thought about that.

She let us through the gate and we crossed the railroad tracks and started walking down the road. There is a white line painted on the ground a few feet back from the gate, and this turned out to be the line marking when CM’s are considered to be “on stage”. Once they cross that line, they must be in character at all times. Even though it’s not generally in view of the guests, people riding by on the train might catch a glimpse of a CM on the road, so that line ensures that the guests’ experience is not interrupted.

Geez they think of everything, including literal lines of when to start 'acting'.

To our right was a large rectangular unremarkable beige building. The green building housed Pirates of the Caribbean. The beige one housed Splash Mountain. Given how far you have to walk between the entrances of these rides in the park, it was fascinating to see how close the actual ride buildings were to each other. Check it out on Google Earth sometime.

Will do!

one goes out, they all go out

YsVjwJX.gif

I believe Stephanie said it took 45 minutes to drain the entire ride.

Yikes! Did she happen to say how often they drain water rides?

The only difference was that there was a side door that led to an employee break room, so it was a little jarring to stand in the Haunted Mansion and then see a door open to find people hanging around a fridge, benches, whiteboard with daily tasks, etc.

:eek::faint:

There was even one room called the “Pin Replenishment Center”, where CM’s who ran low while pin-trading with kids in the parks could go to get new supplies for their lanyards.

Good golly they have everything!

I can only answer for myself: of course not. Being an engineer, I’m fascinated by how things work. Especially on a scale like that of Disney World. I thoroughly enjoyed the tour and was glad we had taken the time to do it. If anything, I think Julie and I would like to try some more!

Now why in the world would I pay $80 per person, when you just gave me the tour for free?? So thanks for that! Really though, I would love to take a few tours while at WDW, but only by ourselves or once the kids are old enough to understand and appreciate it all.

We took the Keys to the Kingdom Tour too and all of us absolutely loved it. We too knew some of the things that our guide pointed out to us but I still enjoyed hearing about them. Our guide told us some things that I had kinda sorta noticed before but didn't pay close attention to. Like how the Adventureland side of Crystal Palace is different that the Main Street side. Y'all didn't get to ride Pirates of the Caribbean during your tour? We rode Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion and learned something about each attraction. As you said, the utilidors weren't anything spectacular to look at but it was so cool to see how everything was marked so that it would run smoothly.

The price of the tour was a little pricey but it was well worth it for us. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I checked it out, and when you come through Omaha, Nebraska, you should check out our zoo, which is one of the best in the country! Not to miss for families: www.omahazoo.comor we have great museums: durhammuseum.org or joslyn.org. Additionally, we have a great downtown area called the Old Market, which is by the NCAA Baseball Stadium, TD Ameritrade Park. Check out Omaha.comfor more info and photos. We have much to offer :-)

Thanks for the links! I don't know if we'll have time for the zoo--we'll be driving all the way from Scottsbluff that day, so that will limit our time. I'll check out the link, though. I was thinking of having dinner in Old Market--and hanging out a bit at the riverfront at Lewis & Clark Landing. I'm sure by that time the kids will need to run around!

Nice picture!

Thanks!:goodvibes

That's an ominous sign!

Yeah, you know the clock is ticking...

Reminds me of the wildebeest stampede in The Lion King.

:scared1: I just didn't want to be Mufasa.

Gee, you'd think it'd be burger, burger, burger, burger, burger, chicken nuggets, fish, and burger.

Well, if I'D chosen the restaurant...

It's a good thing she has you around to tone her down a bit.

Darn right. We can't have Julie running around un-checked.

I'd love to take that tour sometime. I imagine that it'd be the same for me as you described, ie. probably not a lot of new information, but still great to see it right then and there.

Yeah, I think it's one thing to hear about how things work, and another to actually see it. I'm sure you would enjoy it.

We married late with 3 kids already. We missed all those years of travel PRE KIDS, slack! LOL

Yeah, gotta make up for lost time!

Wait whats that noise? Oh the kid is still outside, her rain shower must be over. It's how we save money for our trips! :love1:

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

DH is a industrial welder for nuclear power plants. We did Keys to the Kingdom on our April trip a few years ago. He was fascinated by it all. I had fun learning the history of it. He loved the making behind it all and seeing the buildings. BOYS! It was a great tour though!!

I'm sure your DH and I would get along just fine!:thumbsup2

You burn the candle at both ends when you visit Disney World.

So, if they want to (waste valuable park time) sleep in, hey—no problem. They’re entitled to (flush their ticket money down the toilet) their rest.
If you were to editorialize your thoughts about people who sleep in at Disney World, I'd totally agree.

I’d booked the first tour of the day, which was to start at 8:30 a.m. I did this because I knew the park opened at 9 a.m., so I was hoping to get in early and get some of those coveted Empty Main Street photos.
Great idea!!!!

You can imagine my elation when I checked the park hours and discovered that they’d changed, and the Magic Kingdom was now opening at 8 a.m.
And this is why I've given up on trying to do the pre RD breakfast at CP. This happens every effing time.

By about 7:40 a.m. we were fully caffeinated and standing at the gates to the Magic Kingdom. We followed the directions we’d been given on the tour web page and moved to the far left, looking for a CM with a clipboard checking people in with early reservations. We gave our names and the tour time, and she let us right in.

Cool.
Wooohooo!

We headed straight for Main St. so we could check out the view of the castle, unencumbered by hordes of people. We turned the corner and found…

IMG_1633.JPG

Hordes of people. I guess a bunch of people with breakfast reservations had arrived all at once. We decided to stand still for a few moments to let the crowd thin out.
Holy crap! I guess they're doing too many breakfast ADR's these days.

I'm glad it at least cleared out enough for you guys to get a few pictures.

And we could certainly understand why the photographer wanted to get out of Dodge. At that point, so did we.

We made our way back to the town square.
Ok, there's gotta be more to it than "Hey look, here comes a wall of people" and "We made it to Town Square."

So how did you get past the masses headed in the opposite direction? If the PP photographer feared for his safety you couldn't be crazy enough to just charge into it, could you?

Did you channel your inner Spiderman and scale the buildings on Main Street?

Looking through the variety of options on the menu, the choices were: fish, fish, fish, fish, fish, chicken nuggets, and fish. Julie and I are not seafood fans, so we chose chicken nuggets by default.
And for as many great things as I've heard about CHH... this is why we've never had a meal there. Just not our thing.

Seemed like a reasonable request. So, we took it one step further. We didn’t bother taking photos throughout most of the tour. We chose to just listen and soak it in instead.
I wouldn't blame you. It would be nice to just take it in.

And so on. In all honesty, I think I knew a lot of the information just from generally reading and having an interest in Disney World. But we didn’t mind. It was interesting to hear the info while looking at the various details right there and then.
I think this is the main thing about this tour. I'm sure that almost everyone here knows a lot of the Disney trivia and "secrets." But how often do you think of these specific things as you're standing in the parks? You're usually thinking about what you're doing or where you're going. It would be nice to just talk about and think about the meaning behind some of these things when you're standing there in the presence.

Given how far you have to walk between the entrances of these rides in the park, it was fascinating to see how close the actual ride buildings were to each other. Check it out on Google Earth sometime.
Great! You write a TR and assign homework! :headache:

We got a good view here of some of the façade on the Splash Mountain building. Imagineers build only what they need to build. So the parts of the building visible from the park get an elaborate, detailed façade that fits in with the theme of the ride. Everything else is functional and minimal beige.
Makes sense. Because if the entire building was fake mountain, I'm sure we'd have been past the $100 park ticket long before this year.

One of the coolest parts of the tour was the chance to walk up to the Splash Mountain building and see all of the water running underneath as it cycled through the ride. The roar made it hard to have a conversation. I believe Stephanie said it took 45 minutes to drain the entire ride.
:eek: That's a lot of water.

Heck, we had a 3' tall 12' diameter pool that we bought from Walmart that took at least 10 times that long to drain. :rotfl2:

We got a peek inside the parade float building and could see workers checking and replacing light bulbs on the Main Street Electrical Parade floats. You know how these things are—one goes out, they all go out. If I were them, I’d personally check each and every bulb.
I'd love to work at Disney World, but this job could really suck.

We each had a name card at our seat, and inside the name card was a special Keys To The Kingdom Tour pin that was ours to keep. And our chicken nuggets were perfectly fine
I'm glad they put a name card with it. Somebody might have decided they didn't want their fish and you'd be screwed.

The only difference was that there was a side door that led to an employee break room, so it was a little jarring to stand in the Haunted Mansion and then see a door open to find people hanging around a fridge, benches, whiteboard with daily tasks, etc.
Even ghosts get a lunch break.

“Well?” Stephanie asked. “What do you think?”

“It’s magical,” I replied.

Plaster drywall. Concrete floors. Fluorescent lighting. The Imagineers had gone all out once again, carrying out incredible detail in the “commercial workspace” theme.
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Every storage area, once again, was highly organized and detailed, and I was still amazed at how such a large organization could maintain that level of detail in their operations.
I don't think such a large organization could function as it does if it weren't for that level of detail in their operations.

This tour does sound like a lot of fun. I'd love to do it sometimes and I'm really glad that you and Julie had a chance to go.

And by the way, I had Google Earth running the whole time I read this. I kept going back and forth to confirm your story. You seem to be telling the truth. This time... :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter