We ate everything but the F&G Flowers! Updated 5.8.10...

Great updates
Your Strawberry Shortcake looks delicious :)

Thanks! And it is one of my must have snacks on every trip - so very, very good!

Your revies are great they are making me hungry. I can't wait to be back in the World in August for Deluxe Dining Plan.

I hope you love it - it IS a lot of food, but when you do the signatures, it seems more reasonable.

Found your report today and am all caught up now. Looks like you had some great meals. Your report is helping me pick our reservations for our January trip. :thumbsup2

Looking forward to the rest of your reviews. :goodvibes

Flying Fish.

We have considered FF many times, but always opted for something else, as we are not really seafood people. But that day we have moved resorts, spent many hours at Epcot and ended up vegging out by the villas pool and hot tub and although Narcoosees did sound good, the idea of booking something just a little later to give us not only more time to relax around the pool, but to just bop across the lake for the meal was really nice. We had even considered room service for our last two deluxe credits, but we did like the idea of hitting the Boardwalk and weren't tired enough to call it a night yet.

So I went online and booked Flying Fish for an 8 ish time and we were all set.

We were seated almost immediately and I was absolutely charmed at how whimsical the restaurant was! The pillars covered with "scales", the lamps shaped like fish hooks hanging from the ceiling, the ferris wheels with fish - all were so subtle and charming! We also loved how the "stars" on the ceiling changed colors.

I had always imagined FF to be a bit stuffy and formal and had actually thought it would be a lot more like Citricos was, but I was very wrong. Our server was extremely friendly and easygoing and the whole atmosphere seemed fun, laid back and comfortable.

We started with some very good bread and butter:

April232010072.jpg

DS decided on the fruit kabobs and yogurt dip for his starter. He loved this and it was really a cute presentation:

April232010075.jpg

DH chose the crab cake (Our Signature Flying Fish Cafe "Crispy Maine Coast Jonah Crab Cake" - Savory Vegetable Slaw, Roasted Red Pepper Coulis, and Ancho Chile Rémoulade) - this was enormous and seemed to have virtually no filler in it - all crab. The red sauce on the plate had a very nice spicy kick to it and we both like this very much. Sorry about the photo - it was sundown and the lighting was very pretty, but not the best for no flash photos.

April232010074.jpg

I chose the shrimp cocktail and I will rely on allears for the description: Floribbean Wild Gulf Shrimp Cocktail - Ruby Grapefruit, Blood Oranges, Winter Radishes, Hearts of Palm, Sauce Verde, and Piqaunt Mango-Mojo Emulsion

April232010073.jpg

This was so very good...! The flavors together were just perfect. The shrimp I had at Citricos had been rubber ball like (but very flavorful and still very good!) but these were just perfect. The combination of the sauce, the vegetables and the citrus was absolutely amazing. DH also enjoyed this and we felt our starters made being on the DDx this time absolutely worth it.

DS had enjoyed enough steak by this time on the trip and was beginning to feel mac and cheese deprivation (despite the huge platefuls at Cape May...). He mourns the Mickeyroni and cheese at Spoodles so he was thrilled to see he had the option of cheddar cheese sauce on Mickey pasta for dinner. He ate every bite:

April232010078.jpg

For DH and I, there was no question what we'd be ordering...the NY Strip: Our Signature Flying Fish Café "Char-crusted Certified Black Angus New York Strip Steak" - Roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Root Vegetables, and Pole Beans, with Classic Sauce Foyot

as presented:

April232010077.jpg

After moving steak off the vegetables:

April232010081.jpg

This was, hands down, the best meal I had the entire trip. The steak was charred and spiced well yet still a perfect medium rare. Our server explained how they did it to DH and we hope to try at home (marinated in olive oil, grilled quickly on VERY high heat, etc). The sauce is very close to a bearnaise, which we both love. DH says The Wave's filet just barely edges this out, but I loved this meal.

For dessert, DH had already decided on the cupcake and white chocolate puzzle, which he loved:

April232010083.jpg

DH ordered the Sinful Flourless Dark Chocolate Creation - Morello Cherry Compote, Riesling and Cherry Geleé, with Chocolate Accentuations

The gelees were very strange looking - like cubes of jello - but DH liked the cherry ones (as did I) and I loved the Riesling. Clear, solid and flavored like one of my favorite wines....:love:

The cake was incredibly rich and although I had some, I think DH left almost half. VERY good!

April232010084.jpg

April232010085.jpg

I opted for A Trio Celebration of Florida Sweet Peaches - White Chocolate and White Peach Créme Brulée, Schnapps and Cardamom-scented Torta, Ginger-laced Peach Compote, Peach-Almond Cobbler, and Almond Gelato

April232010086.jpg

The presentation was wonderful and the desserts were excellent as well. Taken one at a time:

The Peach-Almond Cobbler, and Almond Gelato:

April232010087.jpg

My favorite of the three - this was like an old fashioned peach cobbler with creamy, melty ice cream. DH and I both loved it.

Schnapps and Cardamom-scented Torta, Ginger-laced Peach Compote:

April232010088.jpg

Very pretty and okay tasting - probably my least favorite of the three, but still very good. The cake itself was a little dry and needed more of the schnapps or something ;)

White Chocolate and White Peach Créme Brulée:

April232010089.jpg

This was very good - but I do love creme brulees. Not too sweet, just perfect. Although I wasn't crazy about the peaches on top.

Overall, this meal was just wonderful - we were in no hurry, just sat back and enjoyed everything. We will definitely be back!

Boardwalk snacks.

After our meal at FF, we stepped out and enjoyed some of the BW entertainment for a while. Afterwards, DH bought some popcorn, hoping it was like the addictive stuff at the parks. Not so, but DS loved it:

April232010094.jpg

We also stepped into the BW Bakery, as we had snack credits to use up by midnight. DS picked out a cupcake:

April24-262010032.jpg

and a Mickey cake (yellow cake with sprinkles):

April24-262010034.jpg

And when we got back to the room, DH grabbed me one of these gems from the Beach Club Marketplace - the chocolate chip coconut bar:

April24-262010033.jpg

And with that, we had treats galore in our fridge, and our Kidani deluxe dining plan credits came to an end!

Found your report today and am all caught up now. Looks like you had some great meals. Your report is helping me pick our reservations for our January trip. :thumbsup2

Looking forward to the rest of your reviews. :goodvibes

Welcome! I have 5 more full days to go on the trip - and so much more food...

I hope they do help you - I rely on a lot of reviews to pick our ADR's too!

I just discovered this board, and I'm having such a great time reading everyone's review!! And absolutely :lovestruc the photos, they're great!! Thanks so much for taking the time to share yours with us.

My final thoughts on the Deluxe Dining plan...

I am always so curious about how people use this plan and whether or not it works, did they enjoy it, etc. so I thought I'd share my opinion in case anyone else is thinking about it and it helps.

For us, it was a fun departure. We "saved" several hundreds of dollars if you don't count the tips and the fact that without the plan we would not have eaten the way we did, and we were able to try lots of new things. So why did it work for us?

1. We began to use it at 11:00AM on the day we checked in and ended using it around 11:00PM on the day we checked out. We have five full days to use four nights of credits. So we were able to stretch the credits out over an additional full day.

2. We had a two week trip and with DVC we know we'll be back, so longer meals don't take away "park time" for us. Having an hour lunch at Yak and Yeti vs. 20 minutes at Flame Tree BBQ wasn't a big deal to us.

3. We didn't plan more than 2 ADR's in a day - breakfast, lunch (with appetizer) and dinner (with appetizer) plus snacks? that would have been way too much. But we did a brunch OR lunch with dinner and that worked well...one day doing only snacks for breakfast and lunch and then a TS dinner.

4. Three signatures. We could never had eaten all those credits without using 18 of them at three signature meals. All of which we thoroughly enjoyed.

5. Using snacks for meals. We used many snacks for breakfast, to supplement an OOP item or two for lunch, etc. We also used them to stock the freezer with Mickey ice cream bars to eat at night while watching a dvd, with fresh fruit cups for breakfasts and any time DS wanted a Mickey ice cream sandwich. We still had 6 left on our last day and used 3 of them for an afternoon treat and the remaining 3 of them for snacks to be eaten in the coming days, so we did use them all up.

6. No CS meals - this was a plus (financially it made us come out further ahead) and a minus (there are places we really love that are CS) for us. We were able to try more new places and new experiences, but in the end I think if we'd gone to WPE instead of Tutto or Coral Reef, we'd have been happier.

Would we do it again?

Yup!! We were happy to be back on the DDP at BCV, but we really enjoyed the experience. I'd love to do it again if we had another split stay to get the most out of it. That said - I'm still pondering how to add it to our upcoming trip in November/December this year. Unfortunately it would be for much longer than 4 nights this time and that could be prohibitive financially AND calorically :rotfl:

Still - I think it's something every WDW food lover should try at least once.

My wish list: a medium DDP - Two TS credits per day, one CS credit per day, one (or two, I'm not picky!) snack credit/s per day and what the heck....mugs too. That way guests could enjoy signature restaurants and still have a nice CS lunch - or still opt for two TS meals in a day with a nice breakfast. Not as much food, a little less expensive...that's my 2 cents.

Up next...five more full days on 6 nights' worth of DDP credits!

I just discovered this board, and I'm having such a great time reading everyone's review!! And absolutely :lovestruc the photos, they're great!! Thanks so much for taking the time to share yours with us.

:rotfl: Welcome to the dining reviews board!! Prepare for many hours of your time sucked into an addictive WDW food vacumn! This is such a fantastic board for fun and for trip planning. Enjoy!!

I'm so glad you ate at Flying Fish! This is the one I was debating about, not anymore. The pictures and your description make it sound like we should not miss this one. Thanks!

Loving your reviews so far. I love Jiko and have it booked for September again. I really hope those donuts are on the menu when I go as they sound outstanding, it's like my three favourite things all brought together, donuts, cinnamon and coffee:lovestruc

I also have Flying Fish and Citricos booked so am glad to hear that the food was all great. I am a steak person myself so intend to order that at both places. Nice to see you still had room for some snacks:thumbsup2

Thanks for the reviews! They were very informative. I didn't know about the "Wine Flight." The Flying Fish menu has always appealed to me and your pictures of it look amazing. I have to figure out if I can fit it in somehow!

For everyone that says that DxDP is so much food...I see you got a few things OOP. Did you have any leftover credits at the end?

Great Report so Far!! I have never tried the signature restaurants, but hopefully will when it is just my husband and I traveling (someday). We will be doing Free Dining Counter Service in August for 4 nights, so I am especially watching for what you used your snack credits on. I'll keep looking for your continuation..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter