We are back - random thoughts - mostly highs

kevin harrison

DIS Veteran
Hi all

Got back yesterday after a wonderful holiday and the worst jetlag I've ever encountered.. and taking nearly 5 hours after a nightmare journey on the M25

I'll try to do a report, but a few notes..

It was the hottest continuous weather and humidity I've ever encountered, was very hot and burnt a couple of times.

Virgin were excellent with Daniel and our requirements, got 4 seats on row 21, there and back and were allowed to use facilities at the front of the plane, they couldn't do enough for us.

The Hard Rock hotel was excellent, filled our room with strawberrys, champagne, cookies and a welcome letter again. On Daniel's birthday they filled the room with balloons, soft toys and a baseball cap. The only downer was they constantly got my paper wrong every morning and the housekeeping wasn't so good.

Got the Stevie Wonder Cabana for half price at HRH, was probably my fav day, very hot with an excellent woman entertaining the kids with games and the adults with gambling - rolling dice and all..

Eat for the first time at the Cheesecake factory, very good - you won't get pictures though, I am there to eat, not be taking pictures!!

Visited Animal Kingdom for the first time since Expedition Everest opened, what a ride !! that last drop is great.

The driving standards have dropped dramatically, think maybe due to not as high a police presence and mobile bloody phones.

Went to Seaworld for the first time in a few years, the Shamu show was terrible - hardly any shamu, and the dolphin show was not very dolphin like - lots of people on high wires and some strange theatre concept.

Had a terrible encounter at Seaworld, we were in the disabled seating when a woman came up to us and asked if we had any right to be sitting there, I said yes and showed her our pass and it turned out she was lloking for seats so she could get good photos and none of her party were disabled.

At MK, went to the MNSSHP and was the disabled area when I realized that the front row was full, but only 50% was actual people with needs and the rest were partners etc. I asked if someone would move so my son could see, to which a woman said " you have to be handicapped to be in here" I said " my son is, you must know not to ever judge people by now " Still no one moved, I fetched a CM who told me that only disabled people should be at the rope and there carers must stand behind, the face of this woman when she was moved - what sort of person wants to stop a two year old child from getting a view of the parade???

Loved the Block Party bash at Hollywood Studios, was excellent and has overtaken the MK parade for us.

Went to MNSSHP and had a great time, stayed in the park until Midnight, a great time was had by us all and had 4 huge bags of sweets.

Crowd levels at the Universal Halloween nights were huge...

Disappointed in the Golden Coral for the first time, prices had risen and the food wasn't so good.

What is it with the English and football shirts? LOL

Won't be going back next year and giving serious thought to a trip to California next time, having said that I said the same thing last year also..

Any questions please fire away..

Glad you had a great time.

I really am eager to stay at the HRH..this is planned for 2011..Like you we've said we need a break but it is becoming increasingly tempting..But I think we'll make it!.

Sorry to hear you had a few incident's regarding disabled spots :( I did find this on our trip people are more about getting the "best!" picture rather than thinking of other's.

Welcome back.:goodvibes

Sounds like you had a good time Kev, inconsiderate people notwithstanding.

Did you ask for the strawberrys and champers in your room at HRH or was it a specific request? I'm looking at staying at HRH next year and would love to surprise my missus with the same; also, what was the Stevie Wonder Cabana?

Sounds as though you had a great time. That is just awful they way you got treated at the disabled areas.

Hi Kev,

Glad you had a good time.

Can relate to what you say regarding the disability awareness of people, have encountered similar situations , even with CMs, so I can appreciate what it is like.
Very difficult to answer and discuss but I do understand because we have experienced the same.

I do think that Virgin have improved their levels of service for their travellers with special needs, we were well looked after in April.

Driving standards, again agree - using the mobile whilst on the I4 to many appears to be mandatory out there.

Hard Rock hotel sounds great, my kind of place.

Sounds like you had a great time! :thumbsup2 I was there at the same time (just got back at the weekend), so I know what you mean about the heat!!

What a shame about the nasty people you encountered. I'm glad that the good points clearly outweighed the bad.

I stayed at the HRH for one night- I can't say I fell in love with it, although we did have a pleasant stay. I think I'm just a Disney girl though, I felt like I was cheating on CSR when we headed over to the HRH! :scared1:

we got back yesterday an all.. very vey hot dry weather-great! glad you had a great time, i personally hatre block party bash, saw the new parade at mk and didnt think much of that either!

Can't wait to read your full trip report!!

I also love the Cheesecake Factory - it is one of our "must dos"

Sara

saw the new parade at mk and didnt think much of that either!

Me neither! Far too many gaps between the floats I thought, plus the dancers weren't particularly entertaining- just the same moves over and over again. It didn't help that I was absolutely boiling while I was watching it.

Sounds like you had a great time! :thumbsup2 I was there at the same time (just got back at the weekend), so I know what you mean about the heat!!

What a shame about the nasty people you encountered. I'm glad that the good points clearly outweighed the bad.

I stayed at the HRH for one night- I can't say I fell in love with it, although we did have a pleasant stay. I think I'm just a Disney girl though, I felt like I was cheating on CSR when we headed over to the HRH! :scared1:

The Disney resorts whilst some are beautiful, do nothing for me.

We went to Mickeys Backyard BBQ, had to park up and endure an horrendus bus journey to the wilderness lodge and spend an evening in Hillbilly hell!! And it was the most expensive meal of the trip.

Whilst talking about that, you had an 18% tip added on for service when you paid upfront, yet it was a bar b-q, how can that be justified?

Whilst talking about that, you had an 18% tip added on for service when you paid upfront, yet it was a bar b-q, how can that be justified?

Was the 18% compulsory? If so, that is certainly cheeky. The BBQ is a similar set-up to a buffet isn't it, where I thought it was customary to leave a 10%-15% tip (saying that, many people around us at the buffets we went to didn't tip at all- and these were Americans, who I thought were into their tipping!). Actually, don't you have to get your own drinks at the BBQ? If that's the case, why the 18% tip?! :confused3

welcome back Kevin!

glad to hear you mostly had a great time!!

as for the woman at at the front in the disabilities section - don't get me started!!!! it's sooooooooooooooo infuriating the complete lack of consideration of some people....

but glad to hear it was mostly good:thumbsup2

Was the 18% compulsory? If so, that is certainly cheeky. The BBQ is a similar set-up to a buffet isn't it, where I thought it was customary to leave a 10%-15% tip (saying that, many people around us at the buffets we went to didn't tip at all- and these were Americans, who I thought were into their tipping!). Actually, don't you have to get your own drinks at the BBQ? If that's the case, why the 18% tip?! :confused3

The BBQ had to be paid upfront when we booked. $126 or three people eating. It was an utter ripoff, spoilt by the feeling of being in hillbilly hell, then to top it off I look at the bill and it said that an 18% gratuity was added already.

Pleased you are back safe and sound and had a good holiday.

Also sorry to hear of the ignorance of some people - and that some feel it appropriate to throw daggers (metophorically speaking) in your direction because a 2 year old wanted a view of a parade. People never fail to dissappoint me sometimes.

One of my biggest gripes (sorry if it makes me sound tight) is paying a service charge when the meal you have includes no service. I even begrudge paying it for buffets when all the server does is bring a drink to your table. But thats just me ;)

glad you had a great time, we also had issues with our hidden disability and rude people questionning our right to access roped off areas...
might get ds a wheel chair next time, maybe people will quesion us less;)
we adored the hrh, and hope to stay there again next year, we also did a normal cabana and loved the mini bar :thumbsup2
hope you ve caught up on your sleep
tracy

I was under the assumption that the 18% was payable if you were in a party of 6 or more, as this is what they charge for any other meal and this is what they told me. I would certainly question it

I was under the assumption that the 18% was payable if you were in a party of 6 or more, as this is what they charge for any other meal and this is what they told me. I would certainly question it

With the Dinner shows I believe grat is included in price, even if just 1 dining, I know it is with Hoop, sure it will be same for BBQ.

Tried a dummy booking to confirm but couldn't find availability so heres the policy for Hoop.

Payment and Cancellation Policies
•At time of booking, payment in full must be charged to a valid credit card or, if on a dining package, there must be a guaranty to a valid credit card. If you fail to show for this priority seating and do not cancel your reservation, your card will be charged a penalty.
•There is a 2-day cancellation policy and full meal price charge if you cancel within 2 days of the reservation or are a "no show" for the reservation.
•Price includes tax and gratuity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter