1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

We all love pixie dust! Tell about your upgrades!

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Pink Mouse Ears, Apr 9, 2010.

1. DEA

DEA DIS Veteran

Resort: Poly
    Upgraded from: Garden View
    Upgraded to: MKV in Tahiti
    Special Occasion: Daughter's first visit. Also, they didn't have a room ready for us at 3pm, so it might have been a little luck.

Also, not a resort upgrade, but the coolest Disney-related upgrade: My wife and I, before we were married, headed down to WDW for a wedding. This was back before DME, so we had booked the Mears Shuttle to the resort. So, we head out to wait on the bus. After a few minutes, the Mears guy comes over to us and asks, "You guys are booked on the shuttle, right? Would you mind taking the limo over there instead? Same price, so it's all paid for. Just tip your driver."

That was a magical express. :thumbsup2

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. JenniJ

JenniJ Mouseketeer

I just LOVE reading about Disney magic. It really makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside reading about all the joy people have received at Disney.

My upgrade happened when DH agreed to spend the extra money to go from CSR to AKL.
    Of course, I would love to get an upgrade too. Don't get me wrong. We are standard at AKL. Hoping all the celebrations we are velebrating will help, Disneymoom, DS first trip and DH's b-day!
    But, if not, I'm just happy with my Disney vacay with my newly formed family!

4. rie'smom

rie'smom <font color=green>"Always let your conscience be y

Resort
    -Upgraded from:
    -Upgraded to:
    -Special occasion (if any)

Resort GF
    -Upgraded from: garden view
    -Upgraded to: sugar loaf
    -Special occasion (if any): anniversary

Resort(s) Swan and Dolphin
    Upgraded from: standard
    -Upgraded to:Theme park views
    -Special occasion: none and more times than I can count

5. pas130

pas130 Always missing Florida....

I still get excited thinking about this....Our last trip 8/2010. ....

Animal Kingdom Villas

-Upgraded from:1 bedroom Savanna View at Kidani
    -Upgraded to: 2 bedroom suite at Jambo (club level)
    -Special occasion (if any) My Birthday

Can't say I missed the washer/dryer or full kitchen. Our view was of the Arusha(I think that's the name) Savannah, we saw Zebra, giraffes, you name it. I cried the morning of check out. The kids still talk about that:yay:

6. DisneyBride'03

DisneyBride'03 <marquee><font color=red>Jambo Wildbunch Gang</mar

GF
    Garden View
    to
    Lagoon View
    *Wedding*

YC CL
    Garden View
    to
    Lagoon View (and got ur King request!)
    *Anniversary*

SSR
    Studio
    to 1 BDR

AKL
    Pool View
    to
    SV

Most of our stays our DVC..cant recall ever having a booked room/cat that wasnt great! Always book what you want...the rest is pixie dust:)

7. mom2my2gr8kids

mom2my2gr8kids Completely addicted to Disigns ;)

We got an upgrade when we did a split stay 2 years ago. We had stayed at Beach Club for 3 days and then we were heading to Grand Floridian. We got to the Floridian and our room wasn't ready, but they said they were upgrading us to Lagoon View from Standard and my mom was THRILLED! We are heading to Polynesian Theme Park View on Sunday and would LOVE to be upgraded to CL and surprise my parents when they get there in the evening! (Kids and I will be there in the afternoon).

8. emptynestr

emptynestr Mouseketeer

I have never received an upgrade of any type. Do they just decide for no reason that they will give you something extra when you check in?

9. Sweettears

Sweettears 50 years of Disney and counting

Resort: Boardwalk
    Upgraded to: Garden Suite
    No reason that I know of

Resort: Beach Club
    Upraded to: CL lagoon view (front & center)
    No reason that I know of

10. disneydreamer1970

disneydreamer1970 Loves planning surprise Disney trips!

We were booked at POR from Dec. 4th to the 13th, which happened to also be POP Warner, but being a family of 5 it was the best option for us. When the CM checking us in told me that they did not have a room available for the next nine nights and asked if we would mind a complimentary upgrade to Grand Floridian, I just stood there and cried! :cloud9: The trip was amazing and I can't wait to return!

Trish

11. hammie59

hammie59 DIS Veteran

"Would you mind????" LOL...oh yes, I'm sure you really minded. That's awesome. :goodvibes

12. wc80

wc80 Earning My Ears

Resort: Polynesian.
    Upgraded from: Garden View Club Level.
    Upgraded to: Lagoon and CASTLE View Club Level.
    No occasion.

I requested a specific room number just for fun...we had stayed in that room before and LOVED it.....low and behold we got there and that was our room.

Watching the fireworks over the castle, snug in my bed after a long day at the parks with the kids....now that was magical!
    :love:

13. disneydreamer1970

disneydreamer1970 Loves planning surprise Disney trips!

That is exactly how he said it, almost afraid that I was going to be mad. :rotfl: I could not believe it and they even paid to transport us over to GF. The lady at GF that checked us in told me that we were one of two families that had been sent over that day. I still can't believe that we were one of them!

Trish

14. luvthemouse71

luvthemouse71 Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

Upgraded from GV at the Poly to Club Level..it was awesome. I think not putting in a ton of requests helps. Also treating CMs decently cant hurt either, even if they are "just" phone CMs.

I think people fixate too much on upgrades- there's a thread going on right now about those who haven't gotten one. Be careful not to post there-even if you were just trying to help- you'll be scolded.;):rotfl:

15. Redheaded Sunshine

Redheaded Sunshine Mouseketeer

-Resort AKL
    -Upgraded from: Regular room
    -Upgraded to: Savannah view room
    -Special occasion (if any) DD's 4th birthday

I was so excited I cried a little :) Then again I cry at Disney commercials, so this isn't saying much

16. Redheaded Sunshine

Redheaded Sunshine Mouseketeer

We were booked at POR from Dec. 4th to the 13th, which happened to also be POP Warner, but being a family of 5 it was the best option for us. When the CM checking us in told me that they did not have a room available for the next nine nights and asked if we would mind a complimentary upgrade to Grand Floridian, I just stood there and cried! The trip was amazing and I can't wait to return!

Trish

I almost cried a little reading that! How AMAZING!!!

17. Rebecca924

Rebecca924 Earning My Ears

All of these upgrades sound awesome.

We stayed at the Caribbean Beach and chose not to pay extra for a pirate room (we have 2 boys but this was a quick trip and we were trying to save some $).

Don't know how or why, but when we walked into the room they gave us - it was a PIRATE themed room! May not sound like much - but it made the entire trip for our 8 year old - he was one VERY happy little boy.

Also - this isn't an upgrade, but my older son is an avid pin trader. A few years back he saw a pin he REALLY liked but didn't have any traders left. He thought and thought about it and finally traded the CM one of the pins he really liked for the one she had. She traded with him and then put his pin back in his hand (so he got to keep his original pin). He was SO incredibly happy - I almost cried. It was very sweet. She made his entire trip!

We have been blessed to have so many special experiences at Disney - and I love hearing about yours, too!

18. dukiephi

dukiephi Mouseketeer

Resort: GF
    Upgraded to: MK View
    4 y/o DD's birthday
    MK view was awesome!!

19. WendyWuWu

WendyWuWu Mouseketeer

I'd all but given up on ever getting an upgrade, but when we checked in to the Wilderness Lodge in September, 2010, we were told there weren't any rooms available yet. They took my cell phone number and told us they'd message us as soon as a room became available. We'd barely made it out of the lobby to Roaring Forks for a quick lunch before we received the message that our room was ready. We went straight there expecting a "Woods View" as we'd booked. We were pleasantly surprised to find a forth floor "Courtyard View" in the "bear's face"....looking straight out over the main pool toward the lake. It was awesome!

20. hannahmaesmom

hannahmaesmom Earning My Ears

My husband and I checked into Beach Club this weekend to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We had booked a standard garden view, but upon check in, we were shocked to find out we had been upgraded to club level with a perfect boardwalk view! OMG!!! It was awesome! :cool1:

21. crabbie1

crabbie1 DIS Veteran

Lovely to read people having some great upgrades.In my 10 trips never been fortunate to have anything regardless of numerous special occasions. DD first trip my 30th birthday getting married there our anniversary(now divorced:scared1:) and my 40th last year and DB first trip. Still they cannot upgrade everyone but I still hope one day we may get a little pixi dust our way. Its great just to be there and we have always got what we paid for and if we do get an upgrade like so many it will be a nice touch. Doing our first DC in november and got a GTY 9a for a lower price than an inside so that to me is pixie dust.:love: