We’re going to the Tire Factory

The house is just stunning. Its amazing that people really lived that way.

Jill in CO

Oooh! Oooh! You were over in my neck of the woods! I had no idea you lived in Ohio.

We're Stan Hywet members. It's a great place.

I can answer one of the things you weren't sure about. The little window that goes between the Master Bedroom and the Great Room is called the chaperone's window. Mrs. Seiberling could watch the kids in the Great Room from above. When the Seiberlings were building the house, they went to England to find furnishings and ideas. Mrs. Seiberling visited a manor that was being torn down and fell in love with the woodwork in one of the rooms. She purchased the entire room and had it shipped back to the US. Now, the bedroom and house were already laid out, so the architect had to make the purchased room fit. He managed to get everything in, but had to place the small window on an interior wall.

Hi Jen,

No, I've never been there, but have heard of it. Many of the Cleveland news stations have been there for stories and such over the years. So i've seen pictures and footage and such, but not as extensive as yours. i love their showers! They were so clever with the side mount, and i love the enclosed one!

Where exactly was your hotel? I'm looking at a Country Inn & Suites up that way, and wondered if it's the same one. (Cuyahoga Falls?) We're going to Blossom Music Center for the Labor day weekend concert. The Cleveland Orchestra is doing the music of John Williams - the composer for Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, and lots of other great movie series. My son (age 10) said "you had me at Star Wars". :) There's also fireworks after, but getting out of that venue is a NIGHTMARE, and then an almost 2 hour drive home, no thanks! We're getting a hotel that night!

There's also fireworks after, but getting out of that venue is a NIGHTMARE, and then an almost 2 hour drive home, no thanks! We're getting a hotel that night!

As someone who does 4-5 orchestra concerts a summer at Blossom, I can say that leaving from orchestra is much easier than leaving any other concert. That said, there are a couple hotels at the Steels Corners/Rt 8 interchange that would be nice. They're technically in Stow, so you might also try searching that way.

The house is just stunning. Its amazing that people really lived that way.

Jill in CO

It really is amazing. I could get used to being rich.

Oooh! Oooh! You were over in my neck of the woods! I had no idea you lived in Ohio.

We're Stan Hywet members. It's a great place.

I can answer one of the things you weren't sure about. The little window that goes between the Master Bedroom and the Great Room is called the chaperone's window. Mrs. Seiberling could watch the kids in the Great Room from above. When the Seiberlings were building the house, they went to England to find furnishings and ideas. Mrs. Seiberling visited a manor that was being torn down and fell in love with the woodwork in one of the rooms. She purchased the entire room and had it shipped back to the US. Now, the bedroom and house were already laid out, so the architect had to make the purchased room fit. He managed to get everything in, but had to place the small window on an interior wall.

Some of that I do remember from the tour now that you say that. It was interesting and we got sooooo much info on the house while there. I would love to go back again.

I live on the other side of Ohio...not too far from Toledo. When we go to town...thats the one we go to. LOL.

Hi Jen,

No, I've never been there, but have heard of it. Many of the Cleveland news stations have been there for stories and such over the years. So i've seen pictures and footage and such, but not as extensive as yours. i love their showers! They were so clever with the side mount, and i love the enclosed one!

Where exactly was your hotel? I'm looking at a Country Inn & Suites up that way, and wondered if it's the same one. (Cuyahoga Falls?) We're going to Blossom Music Center for the Labor day weekend concert. The Cleveland Orchestra is doing the music of John Williams - the composer for Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, and lots of other great movie series. My son (age 10) said "you had me at Star Wars". :) There's also fireworks after, but getting out of that venue is a NIGHTMARE, and then an almost 2 hour drive home, no thanks! We're getting a hotel that night!

I think it was this one and I believe the site even lists the Blossom.

1420 Main St
Cuyahoga Falls, OH

Some of that I do remember from the tour now that you say that. It was interesting and we got sooooo much info on the house while there. I would love to go back again.

If you come back sometime, do the Nooks and Crannies tour. It takes you to the areas you didn't see on the regular tour. It's really neat and well worth the price.

I thought it was funny how you said that it doesn't feel like Ohio when you get to the hills. We feel the same way when we get to the flat part of the state! Might as well be in Indiana. :D

If you come back sometime, do the Nooks and Crannies tour. It takes you to the areas you didn't see on the regular tour. It's really neat and well worth the price.

I read about that tour in the brochure and it sounds neat. I would love to do it.

I thought it was funny how you said that it doesn't feel like Ohio when you get to the hills. We feel the same way when we get to the flat part of the state! Might as well be in Indiana

LOL. We are not all that far from Indiana.

We walked around the back of the house. It was quite beautiful as well.

yard1 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

I tried my hand at taking panoramic pictures of it using both my phone and my camera. Not the greatest, but still gives you an idea on how big it is.

stitched house by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan156 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan157 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan158 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

The backyard and gardens were basically on a cliff of sorts. At one time the family owned most of the land in the area but it was sold off years later and some of it went to parks and some more went to house developments. I forget the amount that was originally owned but it was a massive amount and what was left was very small in comparison.

stan23 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan25 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan24 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan26 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

At this point the girls were anxious to explore some of the paths that went through the gardens.

stan27 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan28 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Skip was just taking in the view.

stan29 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan30 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan31 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

We had taken steps down and this door led to the basement under the house…or so I assume. I assume they could bring things to the house from here…or perhaps stored gardening equipment here as well.

stan32 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan33 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

There were a lot of steps up and down all over.

stan34 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan35 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

In this next picture you can see how it was only a few feet of actual dirt and then turned to rock.

stan101 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Originally we were only going to walk a bit and come back to Skip but we hadn’t realized how far the paths would take us and we kept going.

stan102 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan103 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

This was still spring at the time we were there and I wonder how beautiful these gardens look in the summer with more flowers.

stan104 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan105 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan106 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan107 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

We found the remnants of the old tennis court.

stan108 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

By this time we had gone quite a ways from where Skip was. I thought about going back to tell him where we were but we soon saw him making his way down the path.

The girls were excited to see a few bridges and of course a highlight is to walk over them.

stan109 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan110 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

If you look really hard in the next picture you can make out Skip come towards us.

stan111 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Over the bridge….wow that is fun! LOL!!!!

stan112 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Some ducks were playing.

stan113 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

I read somewhere that this area is where they had a small boat dock and I think they may have actually swam here too when they were home in the summer.

stan114 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

The grounds are really beautiful and it is nice that there are so many different things to look at.

Corinna

We had taken steps down and this door led to the basement under the house…or so I assume. I assume they could bring things to the house from here…or perhaps stored gardening equipment here as well.

This is access to the cisterns. They are connected to the house via pipes.

Though we were told over and over this was mainly where they stayed in the winter, it was pretty evident with the tennis court (I have read at 1 time they actually had 2), and the little creek and then boat dock area, that they must’ve spent some summer days here as well.

Skip was checking out the tennis court. Along the path they did have signs about some of the areas and what they were.

stan115 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan159 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan160 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan161 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan162 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan163 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Once Skip caught up to us we moved around to the side of the house, which actually was much lower and had quite a bit of open yard. Again it was magnificent and this structure had some doors which appeared to have tunnels to the house.

stan164 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan165 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

I believe this was called the Tea Houses. The Tea Houses overlooked the little lagoon area.

stan166 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan167 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

We walked up and saw these birch trees, which I think was called Birch Tree Allee. Now it was spring so they weren’t very leafy yet, but I have seen pictures of them with leaves and it looks so neat! Heck I thought it looked neat now too.

stan168 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

This path led back to the house.

stan169 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan170 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan171 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

To the right of the tree alley was a green lawn known as the Bowling Lawn or North meadow. It had been used for recreations and originally had a croquet set, a bowling green, and an archery field. To the left of the alley it broke off to a Grape Arbor and we headed that way. I took a look at the distant views. Wow!!!!!!

stan172 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

The grape arbor wasn’t very Grapey.

stan173 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan174 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Since they were traveling down the grape path I went back to the tree alley to get a few pictures with no one in my way.

stan175 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan176 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Off to the right of the grape arbor was the Great Garden.

stan177 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan178 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

The girls were now done. It was quite warm out today…I think mid to high 80’s with a nice breeze and I thought it felt fabulous but Claire said it was way too hot. Every time the breeze would blow Haley said she was cold. LOL! I told them they were both crazy and ignored the complaints. They found a bird nest and had a seat.

stan179 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

greenhouse by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan181 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan182 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

The play garden is not part of the original estate as you can imagine. It has some engaging interactions inspired by the characteristics of the estate.

stan180 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

A look back at the house.

stan183 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan184 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan185 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan186 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

A lady came up to us and told us about the marble shoot and showed the girls where to find the marbles and off they went to try it out.

stan187 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan188 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan189 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan190 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Last edited:
The Great Hall is amazing, right down to the bear skin rug!

Do you have any idea what that standing screen is in shot 72? Or is it just artwork?

LOL on the hidden Mickey!

A flower arranging room? :rotfl2: I have no words.........

My favorite is the morning room. So bright and cheery.

The grounds are gorgeous. I love early spring with the daffodils and forsythia in bloom, but I bet it's amazing to see in the summer and fall as well.

That bird nest is so cool! I need one of those! ;)

Those are some gorgeous gardens, Jen. I cannot even imagine what it must look like if everything is in full bloom. Thanks for sharing.

Your pictures are wonderful as usual. Loved the tree alley ones with the girls walking. The gardens look lovely and make me want to plan a trip there.

The Great Hall is amazing, right down to the bear skin rug!

Do you have any idea what that standing screen is in shot 72? Or is it just artwork?

LOL on the hidden Mickey!

A flower arranging room? :rotfl2: I have no words.........

My favorite is the morning room. So bright and cheery.

The grounds are gorgeous. I love early spring with the daffodils and forsythia in bloom, but I bet it's amazing to see in the summer and fall as well.

That bird nest is so cool! I need one of those! ;)

OK, now it's been months and you know my memory doesn't even work for a day at times....but... I think the screen was where the server would stand to not be seen yet be there when needed because he/she could hear everything. Now I also think it was more for decoration with this family because they were ones who didn't "hide" the help. I could be wrong, but that is what I seem to remember.
Heck most people can't get a home office or even a dining room and they have a flower arranging room!
I would love to go back at different times of the year to check out all the flowers and landscaping.

Those are some gorgeous gardens, Jen. I cannot even imagine what it must look like if everything is in full bloom. Thanks for sharing.

I bet it is beautiful!!!

Your pictures are wonderful as usual. Loved the tree alley ones with the girls walking. The gardens look lovely and make me want to plan a trip there.

I really liked the tree alley as well.

This is the Party Courtyard just outside of the Corbin Conservatory. The courtyard can be reserved for parties.

stan191 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

The Corbin Conservatory is a replication of the original complex used for fruit and flower growing. At one time the Estate also had a poultry barn and a poultry keepers house. I believe the building behind the play garden was built where they once stood. That building holds offices now.

We now had to use the restroom and there was one in the conservatory and a drinking fountain as well so we headed in there and then explored.

stan192 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan193 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan194 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan195 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan196 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan197 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan198 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr
stan199 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan200 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Back outside.

stan201 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan202 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

The girls were now getting more antsy. The water was not what they wanted…they wanted a real drink…and they wanted to swim. I then told them we couldn’t even check into our room till 4 PM so it was useless to head there early….I did not let them know that we could still use the waterpark before check in. LOL!!!

I also let them know that as exciting as the waterpark was for them…this house was for me. This was my waterpark.

We headed back towards the house through the Grape Arbor so that I could get some more pictures.

arbor by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan203 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

And through the trees.

treepath by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan204 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan205 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan206 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Skip went off to find a place to sit. I know he was ready to go but he was very good about letting me have my time here to look around and explore.

stan207 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

I explored more gardens.

stan208 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

I wanted to try and get some better shots of the front of the house.

frontofhouse by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan212 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan213 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

Um yeah…I took a lot and this only half of them.

stan214 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan215 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

The girls found Skip and sat with him as I wanted to walk around the other side of the house for a bit since we never went that way. Now I would’ve loved to spend a lot more time here but I made it quick so I wouldn’t get so many complaints.

stan216 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan217 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

This is where the Music room is in the house.

stan218 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan219 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan220 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan221 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

stan222 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

More great pics. You definitely have a good eye for every detail. The pics of the flowers are beautiful.

It is amazing just how many different things and how many hidden treasures are in those grounds. I think I could happily spend all day there.

Corinna

More great pics. You definitely have a good eye for every detail. The pics of the flowers are beautiful.

Thanks. I really just loved exploring the whole place.

It is amazing just how many different things and how many hidden treasures are in those grounds. I think I could happily spend all day there.

Corinna

I could've spent much more time there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter