We'’re out of it! … A summer 14 “MAGICal” Med adventure Day 14/Aug 05 updated 05/05

You're showing me food I've never seen before popcorn::

Guess that means you need to cruise more. ;) :rotfl2:

I need to try that chocolate cake!

It was really nice. :thumbsup2

I'll have to try the key lime pie again, I didn't think it had much taste and I love key lime pie!

The best one I had was on the Dream. Pretty tart, just like I like it. ::yes::

Mom really enjoys the morning tug boat.

My favourite breakfast treat!

Please tell Tom I'm thoroughly enjoying the calendars :)

He was delighted to hear that! :hug:

Just got back.from the Dream and finally tried the Moet Ice at Remy yesterday. We have a bottle with us to enjoy for the next part of our vacation.

Great, great choice as a vacation drink! :thumbsup2 Hope you enjoyed Remy.

Your stateroom host sounds like a real pain.

I would have to agree with you. ;) We have spent quite a few days on cruises and he was the only one who really was not reliable.

The food in Greece looked so good! I would really enjoy some Gyros right now!

It was so nice having something else than "cruise food". And the food of that restaurant was really nice. :thumbsup2

That's too bad the consistency was so bad at the QS. Normally it's great when departing from US ports.

We both are sure that all that inconsistency had something to do with catering in Europe. Hadn't we known how it is usually in the US we would not have been so disappointed, but it really was not my favourite cruise.

Yo,ur Mykonos pics look like a dream! Such a beautiful village, and you got to see it more than once :rotfl2:

Yes, we got to really explore that little island. We really got to see some places in more detail than others. :rotfl2:

Very nice of the restaurant to give you extra treats!

They were so sweet and the food was really good. :goodvibes

I'm really surprised at the lack of service and poor food quality on this cruise.

Tammie, so were we. It was just so different from what we were used to in the US.

We both are sure that all that inconsistency had something to do with catering in Europe. Hadn't we known how it is usually in the US we would not have been so disappointed, but it really was not my favourite cruise.

I would limit that to saying: suppliers in Spain. We found the food on our Norway cruise to be fabulous! But there they were relying on Danish suppliers and not Spanish ones. Or they learned their lesson from too many complaints last year and decided to spend more on food to adjust to European food prices and get better quality. Thinking about it: that might have been a reason really. I get the impression that food is generally cheaper in the US than in most of Europe (German discounter stores excepted, but we Germans are known for not valuing quality food and thinking that food should not cost you a penny...).

Once again the food pix are YUMMY!!! The pix are as amazing as ever !!! Ishare any pix of chandeliers with one of the individuals who has a fascination with them !! Tom's Carol singing Calendars were a big hit with another individual who sung along to each one !!!

:santa::santa::santa: To all our friends here on the DISboards :santa::santa::santa:

xmas15_zpszsj9ki8l.jpg

Karin, stopped by to say hello! :wave: I hope you and Tom had a wonderful and Merry Christmas, and the new year is starting out well.

I know you probably get tired of me sounding like a broken record, but I always enjoy your pictures. Being able to see all of the places you go and the sights I have never visited are always enjoyed. Going back a little to find my place, I was looking at all the ruins in your Kusadasi and Ephesus updates that are so great! I somewhat envy archaeologists that they find so many wonderful discoveries……….talk about the ultimate in treasure hunting! :thumbsup2

And as usual, lots of yummy looking food and coastal views that are just fantastic! Looks like I missed out on Tom’s Christmas calendars. Thought I could click on them and go through them all quickly, but apparently they realize it is still 333 days until "next" Christmas season. Apparently it still isn’t possible to cheat, even after Christmas has arrived. :rotfl:

I guess discussion about a cruise somewhere in the not so distant future need to at least begin………………… :scratchin

I have been trying to post and it wouldn't let me
Looks like they are just wising up on the DIS Boards............ :rolleyes1

Bumping this up for you since I think you are back from your World trip now. ...... popcorn::

Thank you, Marv, for doing so! It was shocking, even for me, to realize for how long I have neglected that TR. :scared1:

I guess it is about time for an update here. ;)

Day 13, August 4

Another day at sea - Part 2

Characters were out and people were lining up and we walked around a bit and people watched before returning to the stateroom and guess what, no stateroom host in sight and the room still not done.
By that time we were kind of used to coming back to an untidy room so we just shrugged our shoulders and made ourselves comfortable again for the short time we would be in the room.

DSC_0602_zpsccae9pt3.jpg

About an hour later we headed out again. And we went to an all too familiar location, Lumiere’s.

DSC_0604_zpshxwqq0zi.jpg

Well, this time we didn’t go there to eat, but to go on a “behind the scene’s tour” to see one of the galley’s. We were a bit early but there were already quite a few people lined up outside and about 5 minutes before the tour was supposed to start we were all led to the side entrance, tickets were checked and we were let into the restaurant. Chefs from several of the galleys were there to introduce themselves

DSC_0605_zpsdniguohf.jpg

DSC_0619_zpsuzecpihv.jpg

and give a little insight before we were led into the kitchen behind Lumiere’s.

DSC_0607_zps1uyni0k9.jpg

This was not our first galley tour and we knew what to expect, but it is always neat to see how similar or different these places are. Turned out this kitchen was not much different to the ones on the Dream and Fantasy but it was interesting to hear at how many cooks they had, and how things worked during service.

DSC_0609_zpsfulurit8.jpg

DSC_0610_zpstuvjjhjz.jpg

DSC_0614_zpsq6jahbda.jpg

DSC_0616_zps2gqc7eam.jpg

DSC_0618_zpsycmfgcsk.jpg

In the end we were treated to freshly baked chocolate chip cookies which are always welcome.

DSC_0613_zpssrgfcxs7.jpg

IMG_3800_zpshx2zxeu2.jpg

They make the best cookies on board of these ships. Once the tour was over we strolled around the ship for a bit,

DSC_0620_zpsroz2lac0.jpg

looking through the shops again and having a look at the pirate merchandise they had pulled out for pirate night that day. Lots of characters were out,

DSC_0621_zpsxmzdhoym.jpg

all in their pirate gear, all with long lines to visit them. We watched for a short while before returning to our stateroom again. When we got back to the room we made a joke that we were sure it would not be done yet, but since we saw the host’s cart in the corridor, we were not too sure. Guess we should have made the bet, as our stateroom still was not done.
So we decided that we would just live with it and ask for new towels once we saw our host around. Instead we called room service and ordered a

IMG_3802_zpspw5gdwmu.jpg

cheese plate. It was brought up within 15 minutes and we poured ourselves some wine and Moet ice and shared the food.

IMG_3803_zps4gpykwk6.jpg

After that we sat on the veranda for a while, but all too soon we felt antsy again and thought we would go and find somewhere nice (and clean)

IMG_3808_zpsbfya6vgr.jpg

to sit and have a conversation. So we went and checked the different venues. Keys was first, but it was closed for some kind of function. Well, let’s check out O’Gills. Yikes, they had some kind of quiz going on and it was LOUD in there. What about Promenade Lounge? We headed over and it looked pretty good, just a few kids, so we took a seat, smiled at the cheap pallets of beers they had still out and were now offering at a premium price and took a look at the menu. We ordered two glasses of wine and as soon as they arrived so did a group of kids. They were having some kind of kids even and it got loud, so loud that you could not hear the person opposite without leaning in. No fun. The server, noticing we were not happy, asked what was wrong and after telling him that we would have liked to finish our drinks in a more quiet surrounding answered that we could pick up a drink at the adult pool and sit in the Cove Café. After previous experiences there we did not really want to do that, so we left most of our drinks and fled. And on the way back to our stateroom we noticed a few of the things we had seen in connection with the drydock the Magic had been in. There were quite a lot of places with paint drippings, paint on windows and overpainted spots where rust was already coming through again. Being not in such a good mood made these things stand out even more.

IMG_3806_zps49bey5az.jpg

IMG_3807_zpspn2t4io0.jpg

Back in our stateroom we were surprised with a clean room. The beds were already prepared and we had Pirate bandanas on the bed together with the chocolate coin and Navigator. Well, it was about time, it was past 5 pm already. So we started to get ready for dinner at Palo. And shortly after 6pm we headed upstairs for our 6.15 reservation. We were greated and asked to wait for a few minutes, but instead, as soon as we had sat down, the Maitre d’ decided it was time to lead us to our table. Didn’t take more than a few seconds and the server was on hand to greet us. We sat and studied the menu, then ordered some drinks.

To be continued ..........

The galley tour looks great, I can't wait to do that!

Sorry about the difficulty finding a peaceful place to enjoy.

Not having a clean room that late in the day would really get old. And I understand finding the faults more easily when you're not in a good mood :(

But yay for Palo dinner!

The galley tour looks great, I can't wait to do that!

Sorry about the difficulty finding a peaceful place to enjoy.

Not having a clean room that late in the day would really get old. And I understand finding the faults more easily when you're not in a good mood :(

But yay for Palo dinner!

Can you guess what "night" that was? :rotfl2: :rotfl2:So funny, since we were just talking about it on the other thread.

I would love to do a galley tour on a cruise!

I can't believe how bad your stateroom host was on this cruise. Ours on the last cruise wasn't the best, but at least we got service once a day. I'm about to get to that.

Also too bad that you couldn't find a quiet place to have a drink. At least you finally could come back to a clean room!

Yay an update! Karin the galley tour is neat! Sorry about the lack of a quiet spot. Looking forward to more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter