WDW Wedding cake covering recipe?

Ratpack

WL VET
DVC Gold
After watching Disney Unwrapped on the food channel, I want to try to make the covering that they put on the wedding cakes to give them that smooth finish. I believe it was called Fondit (sp?). Anyone know how to make this?

Hey Tim! I posted an answer to this on another board. You can buy the fondant already made, or do it yourself. I would just do a search if you are interested in making it yourself. Good luck! :)

Thanks Tiffany,
I posted on both forums so that I would get the best chance for an answer. Have you ever made it or tried it?

I don't blame you, I would post on both forums too! These DIS people know everything! ;)

No, I haven't used it personally. But, my best friend used it to make dd's 1st birthday cake last year, and they ended up buying it premade. It looks very nice & smooth. Not sure on the taste though (it was for Kendall's 1st birthday cake - which she 'destroyed' nicely... :rolleyes: )

Rolled Fondant
Recipe Courtesy of Colette Peters
From "Cooking Live", foodnetwork.com

2 pounds confectioner's sugar, sifted
1/4 cup cold water
1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup glucose (found in cake decorating stores) or white corn syrup
1 1/2 tablespoons glycerine (found in cake decorating stores)
1 teaspoon desired flavoring (vanilla will give the fondant an off-white color)
Cornstarch

In a large bowl (do not use metal), sift the sugar and make a well in the center. In a small saucepan, add the water and sprinkle the gelatin on top to soften for about 5 minutes. Begin to heat the gelatin and stir until the gelatin is dissolved and clear. Do not boil. Turn off the heat and add the glucose and glycerine, stirring until well blended. Add the flavoring. Pour into the well of sugar, and mix until all of the sugar is blended. Use hands to knead icing until it becomes stiff. Add small amounts of confectioner's sugar if the mixture is sticky.

Form the mixture into a ball and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Place in an airtight container. This icing works best if allowed to rest at room temperature for about eight hours before using, particularly if the weather is humid. Do not refrigerate.

To cover a cake with fondant: Dust a clean pastry cloth, or a smooth, clean surface, with cornstarch and roll the fondant with a rolling pin until it is approximately 1/4 inch thick. Make sure that the fondant is large enough to fit over the top and sides of the cake. Slide both hands under the fondant and carefully center it on top of a cake that has been freshly iced with buttercream. (The icing makes the fondant adhere to the cake.)

Dust your hands with cornstarch and smooth the fondant, starting at the top and working down the sides until the entire surface is even and flat. Cut off the excess icing around the bottom of the cake with a pizza cutter or sharp knife. Decorate the cake with buttercream or royal icing. This fondant keeps a cake fresh for two days at room temperature. Do not refrigerate a cake with fondant icing.

I have used Wilton's premade fondant. It does get expensive if you are using it often. I have not tried to make my own, but the store bought fondant does not taste very good and I don't know anyone who likes it (including my Dh, who eats everything!). That is another reason you should put a thin layer of buttercream icing on the cake before putting the fondant on. We peal the fondant off before eating it, but it does make beautiful cakes!

I've worked with the pre-made fondant twice, once for a wedding cake and another time for a shower cake.

It does make a beautiful, smooth porcelein-like surface on cakes. However, working with it can be difficult. The foundant must be the right consistence and rolled out properly or else you will have problems with it either sticking (on the rolling pin or surface) or ripping. In the case of the wedding cake I covered the fondant was tinted, so I had one shot at getting it right and I was shaking with nerves until the cake was covered.

Once the fondant is placed on the cake it can be shaped to adhere to the cake with your hands (oiled lightly with Pam). This gentle shaping helps to get air bubbles out from under the fondant also. Pieces of fondant can also be shaped into flowers and special petal cutters are available.

By all means, give it a try but don't attempt to cover a large cake at first. Buy the pre-made fondant also and get a feel for what the consistency should be before making your own. Wilton decorating books and the website sell the fondant and give hints on how to work with it.

soccerchick, I was wondering why they peeled it off the cake before eating.,

now if only I could get one of the mickey icon stamps...oh, the heck with it. We'll just buy a cake for our anniversary when we go! We didn't have a wedding so I'll spring for the cake.

I was wondering more about what they used to stamp the silver Mickey icons on with & would it be edible. Did they ever say what was used? All I heard was something like "stamp it with silver" - so that after I heard about the $15K cake, I thought perhaps it WAS silver! I just assumed that they pulled off the fondant because of that.

I've never used fondant to cover a cake - we always made it & then used it for candy ... like peppermint patties.

Deb

I have to agree on the poor taste of fondant. A friend had that on her wedding cake (no frosting underneath) and it was gross. I'm a huge icing person, too, so I made sure I got a corner. Boy, was I disappointed!

beansmom-
If you order a cake from Disney, don't get the fondant. Have them make you a cake with their buttercream icing which is to die for. Their white cake with a custard-like filling and strawberries inside covered with buttercream icing is wonderful! The fondant may be gorgeous, but this will taste much better and will still be pretty.

By the way, if the Disney cake is too much, go to Goodings. They have terrible prices on groceries, but their cake is really good.

Kate

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter